Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I’m just curious as to others definition or understanding of what sin is.

I like the Westminster Shorter Catechism.

Sin is any want of conformity unto, or transgression of, the law of God.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,127.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Simply putting our will before the will of God (as Eve did in the Garden). That self interest and self determination/justification of what is right and wrong leads to all sorts of indiscretions towards fellow man.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
To sin in the Hebrew and Greek means to be led astray or to miss the mark. The mark or what we are led astray from (the standard of right doing) is the law of God as it is the standard of right doing (righteousness = right doing in the bible while unrighteousness = wrong doing. God's law is the standard of right doing according to the scriptures - Psalms 119:172). So sin is defined in the bible as the transgression or the breaking of God's law *1 John 3:4 and it is by breaking Gods' law that we have a knowledge of what sin is *Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7. According to the scriptures if we break any one of Gods' 10 commandments we stand guilty before God of sin *James 2:10-11. Also, if we have been given a knowledge of the truth of Gods' Word and choose not to believe and follow it then it is also sin if we choose to reject God's Word in order to disobey what he says *James 4:7; Acts of the Apostles 17:30-31; Hebrews 10:26-31; Romans 14:23.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mlepfitjw
Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Unbelief.

No Faith.

No Love.

Here is what unbelief also comes with long lines of the flesh and it's capabilities with transference of what happens when repenting from unbelief (comes to belief);

The book of Galatians 5 from verse 19 says; Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,127.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'll up the ante... it is following the governance of man that is not in compliance with the governance/Kingdom/will of God, according to the word of God and not the interpretations of man. In others words, following those who do not love all as self. An easy standard of elimination as we have seen in recent weeks, let alone throughout history.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

To miss the mark, and also something akin to the Romans 7 type of sin.

The romans 7 type of sin is like something that causes creation to malfunction, if the lamp of the wicked is sin (as the scripture says) - then this expression is the prismatic effect.

Anything that is not of faith is sin.

If it is of fear, then it misses the mark of having boldness on the day of judgment - by having love being made perfect or mature in us.

There's more, but it's missing the mark if we don't reflect on noble things from time to time as well.

• Useful
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If there is no law there is no sin *Romans 7:7; Romans 4:15 as sin is the transgression of the law *1 John 3:4 and not believing and following Gods' Word *Romans 14:23; James 4:17 for through the law is the knowledge of what sin is *Romans 3:20 because sin is breaking the law of God and if we knowingly continue breaking any one of them according to the scriptures we stand guilty before God of sin *James 2:10-11; Acts of the Apostles 17:30-31; Hebrews 10:26-31

Last edited:
  • Useful
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,127.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If there is no law there is no sin
It is a shame isn't it that many clergy have chosen to divvy up sin into all sorts of examples or confuse the issue with long winded explanations, rather than simply teach as the clip says, sin is putting our will ahead of the will of God. Perhaps that was done so many of these 'leaders' could make themselves more pious or authoritative. Personally I don't believe there is one member of any clergy who is any less a sinner than I.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

God's nature is the the mark and sin is missing the mark. Sin is the transgression of the Mosaic Law because it is God's instructions for how to testify about His nature. For example, God's righteous laws instruct us in how to testify about His righteousness, so when we delight in obeying them, we are hitting the mark, but when we do what is unrighteous in disobedience to them, then we are missing the mark and are bearing false testimony against God. When we have faith, then we are trusting God's nature as being the guide for how we should live our lives, which is why faith is one of the weightier matters of the Mosaic Law (Matthew 23:23) and why whatever is not from faith is sin (Romans 14:23).

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,837.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The apostle John defined sin as lawlessness (1 John 3:4). Since we know that the law can be summed up by the two great commandments (to love God and neighbour), I would expand on that as sin is any failure to fully and perfectly love.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

It is interesting that "Sin" in Spanish means "without".

Sin is not. It is void, because it is not continuous growth (life).

If we bear fruit, this is good, but we must bear even more...and more...and more, lest we be found to not be in Him.

Keeping the 10 Commandments is great, but it is no end.

Oh, you didn't have any other gods before you? Great, but are you glorifying Him to the fullest in the sight of others, such that they cannot help but wonder?

Oh, you didn't make any graven images, but are you in full capacity, as being created in His Image such that no one could deny His Existence?

Oh, you didn't take His Name in vain, but did you magnify His Name to all the peoples...or did you hide it from them?

Oh, so you remembered the Sabbath and kept it holy, but did you also remind others about the Lord of the Sabbath...and are you entered into rest from all the strivings of mankind?

Oh, you have honored your father and your mother and what are you doing for the orphans that have neither?

Oh, nice you didn't kill anyone, and are you imparting life to those who are most unworthy of it?

Oh, you didn't commit adultery, huh, and so are you and your spouse working in concert to display the Kingdom to those outside, or are you guys so unfruitful that you may as well be separate?

Oh, so you didn't steal, and have you given of yourself for the cause of the needy?

Oh, you didn't lie, and are you standing for truth...the truth of the oppressed?

Oh, so you haven't coveted anything of thy neighbor's, and are you rejoicing with them and working to bring them up with you. Laying down your own life that they may step up?

John 15
"1“I am the TRUE vine, and My Father is the keeper of the vineyard. 2He cuts off every branch in Me that bears no fruit, and every branch that does bear fruit, He prunes to make it even more fruitful."

Sin is not (without) the fullness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A sin is basically anything you do against God.

This is also true.

Unbelief.
No Faith.
No Love.

Unbelief for a already unbeliever he is already condemned.

Sin for an already believer is when we have those moments were we are not loving, were we didn't fully trust God through faith (which happens to all of us sometimes).

This why Lord Jesus Christ was needful to pay for the sins of the whole world, not our own but everyones.

From what the bible says, anything you know that is good to do (ie via through faith, by the spirit); in the book of James 4:17 Remember, it is sin to know what you ought to do and then not do it.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,127.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This why Lord Jesus Christ was needful to pay for the sins of the whole world, not our own but everyones.
The door to the Garden was closed to all humanity and we were cast into the world where we made it over in our fallen image. Jesus opened the door to the Kingdom for those who rejected putting their will ahead of the will of God and wanted free of this self serving world of man. That was the forgiveness, but it was not a generic free pass, but offered a choice (just as Eve had be given). God will destroy what we have made in our image along with those who defend it when His Kingdom/governance comes. That was good news to the oppressed of the day and also should be today.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I think that’s useful. “Sin is lawlessness.” 1John 3:4. I’d understand it in light of the concept that God’s law isn’t merely an external command but that it reflects an internal law or conscience in man that we don’t necessarily heed, sometimes referred to as “natural law”.

I think sin can also be described as anything or any act outside of the will of God, considering that He’s perfect in wisdom and will in all ways. I also like to view sin, even the smallest white lie, as a gross anomaly in creation, in the universe, something that “should not be”, an offense against truth and reason. Chaos, disorder, injustice.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It is interesting that "Sin" in Spanish means "without".

Sin is not. It is void, because it is not continuous growth (life).

If we bear fruit, this is good, but we must bear even more...and more...and more, lest we be found to not be in Him.

Keeping the 10 Commandments is great, but it is no end.

Oh, you didn't have any other gods before you? Great, but are you glorifying Him to the fullest in the sight of others, such that they cannot help but wonder?

Oh, you didn't make any graven images, but are you in full capacity, as being created in His Image such that no one could deny His Existence?

Oh, you didn't take His Name in vain, but did you magnify His Name to all the peoples...or did you hide it from them?

Oh, so you remembered the Sabbath and kept it holy, but did you also remind others about the Lord of the Sabbath...and are you entered into rest from all the strivings of mankind?

Oh, you have honored your father and your mother and what are you doing for the orphans that have neither?

Oh, nice you didn't kill anyone, and are you imparting life to those who are most unworthy of it?

Oh, you didn't commit adultery, huh, and so are you and your spouse working in concert to display the Kingdom to those outside, or are you guys so unfruitful that you may as well be separate?

Oh, so you didn't steal, and have you given of yourself for the cause of the needy?

Oh, you didn't lie, and are you standing for truth...the truth of the oppressed?

Oh, so you haven't coveted anything of thy neighbor's, and are you rejoicing with them and working to bring them up with you. Laying down your own life that they may step up?

John 15
"1“I am the TRUE vine, and My Father is the keeper of the vineyard. 2He cuts off every branch in Me that bears no fruit, and every branch that does bear fruit, He prunes to make it even more fruitful."

Sin is not (without) the fullness.
This is good. And I think we could sum up the idea of something missing by identifying that "something" with love. Had Adam loved God with his whole heart, soul, mind, and strength, obedience would've flowed of its own accord. But he wasn't there yet-and presumably is now. But in any case I think that ultimately it wasn't enough to remain neutral in Eden; he had to make a choice, of either drawing nearer to life or further away from it, in which case he'd directly experience the consequences of that wrong choice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0