Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
I don't believe that there is, but I suppose that all depends on what you understand Divine foreknowledge to be. For instance, see 1 Peter 1:1-2.

--David

If God has chosen some, from before He created time (Ephesians 1:4) to give faith (James 2:5) & "believing" is given by Him (Philippians 1:29:"For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ... to believe on him"), can they refrain from believing?

• Useful
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,926,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
If God has chosen some, from before He created time (Ephesians 1:4) to give faith (James 2:5) & "believing" is given by Him (Philippians 1:29:"For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ... to believe on him"), can they refrain from believing?
Yes, certainly, for a time anyway, I suppose (we have free will after all). In the end, I believe that His drawing of those of us who will be His own, because of the kindness that He shows us (those who He has given new hearts and new spirits to .. Ezekiel 36:26-27), is irresistible, such that all who are given the gift of saving faith will exercise that faith and believe.

I was 30 before I finally believed/trusted God and surrendered the reins of my life to Him, even though I was raised in the church from infancy and always believed that I was a Christian (though I was not). Fortunately, for those like me (IOW, for His children who are especially thick-headed), the Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering towards us, not willing that any [of His elect] should perish, but that all should come to repentance .. 2 Peter 3:9.

--David

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hhodgson

Semper-fi
Site Supporter
Sep 20, 2011
Delphos, Ohio
✟613,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So you agree it was God's plan before He created time, to give faith to be healed for His chosen ones?

The chosen ones that He foreknew. God doesn't give out faith like given candy to your kids. It (only) cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God Romans 10:17. Please renew your mind with this so this same question won't be repeated over.

Word of Faith.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So what does, "For he chose us in him before the creation of the world (Ephesians 1:4)" mean?

It relates to us being called to salvation. No one can come to Jesus unless they are drawn to Jesus by the Father.

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Let God alone answer through us
Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Yes, certainly, for a time anyway, I suppose (we have free will after all). In the end, I believe that His drawing of those of us who will be His own, because of the kindness that He shows us (those who He has given new hearts and new spirits to .. Ezekiel 36:26-27), is irresistible, such that all who are given the gift of saving faith will exercise that faith and believe.

I was 30 before I finally believed/trusted God and surrendered the reins of my life to Him, even though I was raised in the church from infancy and always believed that I was a Christian (though I was not). Fortunately, for those like me (IOW, for His children who are especially thick-headed), the Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering towards us, not willing that any [of His elect] should perish, but that all should come to repentance .. 2 Peter 3:9.

--David
we have free will after all

Ephesians 1:11: "being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will". Do humans have free will? If yes how can God work all things after the counsel of His own will?

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
The chosen ones that He foreknew. God doesn't give out faith like given candy to your kids. It (only) cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God Romans 10:17. Please renew your mind with this so this same question won't be repeated over.

The chosen ones that He foreknew.

Ephesians 1:11: "being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will".

Does God foreknow everything because He works according to the counsel of His own will rather than the will of humans?

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
It relates to us being called to salvation. No one can come to Jesus unless they are drawn to Jesus by the Father.
"Has not God chosen the poor in the world to be rich in faith and to be heirs of the kingdom (James 2:5)".

Didn't He choose some to give faith?

Upvote 0