Visit site
✟400,885.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I repeat, 2 Corinthians 8 is not about how to amass material wealth, but on the contrary, an encouragement to give freely and generously to the poor and needy in accordance to what we have. See post #31 - or better yet, read the entire 1 and 2 Corinthians and it’s abundantly clear that there are no commands, promises nor encouragements to seek after wealth or worldly gain, but the epistles are about God’s grace and doing good works in keeping with repentance.

I rest my case!

Reactions: hhodgson
Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Let God alone answer through us
Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
I repeat, 2 Corinthians 8 is not about how to amass material wealth, but on the contrary, an encouragement to give freely and generously to the poor and needy in accordance to what we have. See post #31 - or better yet, read the entire 1 and 2 Corinthians and it’s abundantly clear that there are no commands, promises nor encouragements to seek after wealth or worldly gain, but the epistles are about God’s grace and doing good works in keeping with repentance.

I rest my case!
But have you obeyed God's word to sell all your possessions and give to the poor? Are you disobedient?

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟400,885.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
But have you obeyed God's word to sell all your possessions and give to the poor? Are you disobedient?

No, I have not. For if by this you refer to Matthew 19:21, then it's clear from the context that it's not a universal command to all Christians to sell all of their possessions. Rather, Christ is testing the faith of the rich person, in order to demonstrate how the man loves riches more than he loves God and his neighbour. You'd be actually using this verse against your own position and to your own judgment, for this serves as a warning towards chasing money, and the primary point of this text is that Christ is saying that we are justified by faith in Him and not by our own works or piety. This text is about how our Lord Jesus Christ promises salvation and eternal life, which is the heart of all Scripture.

Let me show you a quick example of why context is crucial to properly read, understand and apply Scripture. Christ said: "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple." Now, if we were to read this verse in complete isolation, it would appear as if we have a universal command to hate our family. But we can know with absolute certainty that this is not the case, for God has decreed that we are to honour our father and our mother, and to love our neighbour as ourself. So, as you can see, context is extremely important.

I've answered all your questions and explained how the verses you've referenced do not serve as a guide to amass wealth. I don't really have anything to add, so I'll leave this conversation now. However, I would again encourage you to not chase after wealth, but seek God and read His Word in their full context.

• Agree
Reactions: hhodgson
Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Let God alone answer through us
Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
No, I have not. For if by this you refer to Matthew 19:21, then it's clear from the context that it's not a universal command to all Christians to sell all of their possessions. Rather, Christ is testing the faith of the rich person, in order to demonstrate how the man loves riches more than he loves God and his neighbour. You'd be actually using this verse against your own position and to your own judgment, for this serves as a warning towards chasing money, and the primary point of this text is that Christ is saying that we are justified by faith in Him and not by our own works or piety. This text is about how our Lord Jesus Christ promises salvation and eternal life, which is the heart of all Scripture.

Let me show you a quick example of why context is crucial to properly read, understand and apply Scripture. Christ said: "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple." Now, if we were to read this verse in complete isolation, it would appear as if we have a universal command to hate our family. But we can know with absolute certainty that this is not the case, for God has decreed that we are to honour our father and our mother, and to love our neighbour as ourself. So, as you can see, context is extremely important.

I've answered all your questions and explained how the verses you've referenced do not serve as a guide to amass wealth. I don't really have anything to add, so I'll leave this conversation now. However, I would again encourage you to not chase after wealth, but seek God and read His Word in their full context.

So are you pretending to have obeyed God's word when He requires you to sell all yours and give to the poor to the extent of dying for your brother?

Are you trying to excuse yourself rather than give your life for your friend?

Have you really rested your case?

Upvote 0