Akron
✟71,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I have a copy of my son's high school biology book. We are told that: "Science is a way of knowing". There are many definitions for Science but Knowing or Knowledge seems to be a part of all of all of them.

So is Science in the Bible. The word Know or Knowledge is found a lot in the Bible. For example Hosea 4:6. "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you".

Can a true man of science reject the Bible? I do not think so. The Bible has many verses that refer to knowledge, wisdom, and understanding, and emphasizes the importance of seeking knowledge in order to live a meaningful and fulfilling life.

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,110.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Can a true man of science reject the Bible? I do not think so.

Looks like 'true men of science' reject the Bible in droves.

Although Christians make up approximately 75% of the American public, only about 30% of academic scientists identify as Christian [1,2], making Christians one of the most underrepresented groups in science [3] [academic scientists generally have graduate degrees, academic appointments, and conduct scientific research]
OB​

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟245,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Can a true man of science reject the Bible? I do not think so. The Bible has many verses that refer to knowledge, wisdom, and understanding, and emphasizes the importance of seeking knowledge in order to live a meaningful and fulfilling life.
It depends on what you mean by rejecting it. If you mean not taking it as the word of God, and not embracing Christianity, then I can see a lot of scientists rejecting it. If you simply mean considering it to be without value and not worth reading, then it would be sad if too many rejected it. It does contain valuable insights and fanciful tales to stir the imagination. I'm not religious at all, but I have a copy of the Bible, and I have no intention of getting rid of it.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Looks like 'true men of science' reject the Bible in droves.
Then "true men of science" do not know the truth and they reject wisdom, knowledge and understanding. Romans 1:23 "They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator"

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟838,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have a copy of my son's high school biology book. We are told that: "Science is a way of knowing". There are many definitions for Science but Knowing or Knowledge seems to be a part of all of all of them.

So is Science in the Bible. The word Know or Knowledge is found a lot in the Bible. For example Hosea 4:6. "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you".

You should really study epistemology, which is all about knowledge and how we know, and if we can know anything, what that might be. You are making a lot of assumptions that should be treated as such. For instance, confusing what you believe with knowledge is hasty. Is your belief justified. If so, on what basis?

The phrase, "Science is a way of knowing " entails the possibility that there might be other ways of knowing. For instance, how do you know what is good or beautiful? Will science, as a way of knowing, help you know those kinds of things?

The question, "Can a true man of science reject the Bible?" is an odd question on a number of levels. Firstly, what decade are we in that it's a "man of science "? You do realize women are just as capable of doing science, yeah? Secondly, the question also poisons the well a bit by implying a "true scientist" wouldn't reject the Bible. But this brings us back to science as a way of knowing. If knowing what can be known via the Bible is another way of knowing than the scientific way of knowing, then the expectation that knowing one should entail knowing the other is simply not warranted/justified. Of course, no argument has been made to show that what is known via the Bible is knowledge in some strict sense or, perhaps, simply belief, which brings us back to the assumptions I mentioned earlier.

So, again, it might help to study what others have learned about knowledge and see if that helps answer some of your questions. You might not know what I mean, but if you're willing to accept my testimony, I can promise it would be a worthy pursuit.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,110.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Then "true men of science" do not know the truth and they reject wisdom, knowledge and understanding. Romans 1:23 "They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator"

Here's another survey.

For a group which "rejects wisdom knowledge and understanding" scientists seem to continuously stumble across useful stuff.

1678926625392.png

OB

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
only about 30% of academic scientists identify as Christian
I believe one-third of the people will be saved. So that just means they have been through the fire to be purified. Which is why men of science are very loyal dedicated Christians.

If there are 8 billion people in the world and 1/3 are saved that is 2.6 billion. Then we add in the 1.5 billion babies that are aborted so that means 4.1 billion or more than half will be saved and in Heaven.

Out of 8 billion people 6.3 million individuals in the United States who were employed in science and engineering occupations.

Zechariah 13:9 "…8And in all the land, declares the LORD, two-thirds will be cut off and perish, but a third will be left in it. 9This third I will bring through the fire; I will refine them like silver and test them like gold. They will call on My name, and I will answer them. I will say, ‘They are My people,’ and they will say, ‘The LORD is our God.’”

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟731,637.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Your bringing up two different kinds of knowledge and wrongly trying to combine them as the same trajectory. The Bible points towards spiritual knowledge. And science works with knowledge of the physical world. As far as wisdom and understanding goes, in life there are many other outlets outside of the Bible that a person can touch that bring those kinds of things into their life.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟299,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Can a true man of science reject the Bible?

Of course we can. I have no use for it. Certainly it provides me nothing useful to understand nature, which is what science is about.

I do not think so.

We'll just add this to your misunderstandings about science.

The Bible has many verses that refer to knowledge, wisdom, and understanding, and emphasizes the importance of seeking knowledge in order to live a meaningful and fulfilling life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟299,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Do you realize how arrogant & self serving this statement is?

I'm not the one making proclamations about a group of people you don't understand (scientists). I don't go around here talking trash and other nonsense about carpenters.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Your bringing up two different kinds of knowledge
I am talking about whatever knowledge Science has can be used to study the Bible to verify how accurate and true the Bible is. For example, historical and cultural contexts. You can go to all the cities in the Bible and archeology can find artifacts that we can study to test the Bible to see how accurate and true the Bible is.

We can use DNA to verify the genealogies we read in the Bible. While there is some historical and archaeological evidence to support the idea that the Arab people are descendants of Ishmael, the exact lineage is a matter of interpretation and debate. However, it is generally accepted that the Arab people have a close ancestral relationship with the biblical figures and the Jewish people.

As Christians & gentiles, we are grafted into the tree and not the natural descendants of Abraham.

Roman 11:24 After all, if you were cut out of an olive tree that is wild by nature, and contrary to nature were grafted into a cultivated olive tree, how much more readily will these, the natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree!.

My intent is not evangelical to try to convert infidels. We just use Science to help us to have a more in-depth understanding of the Bible and how the Bible can be applied to our lives. The reprobate seems to have to prove the Bible is not true so they can further their cause. We are not dependent on them for anything. As an antitheist, they depend on religion as something to protest against.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟149,739.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Civilization got through several main phases throughout its existence:

1) Mythology
- the era of Sumer, Babylon, Assyria, Egypt...
- people tried to make sense of the Universe by using symbols (waters, wind, fire...), personifications (various gods for natural events), zoomorphisms (serpents, dragons)

2) Philosophy
- the era of the ancient Greece and Rome
- instead of just ascribing symbolic meanings to the specifics of the world, philosophers began to develop general concepts (cosmos, logos, chaos)

3) Science
- mostly European worldview occurring since the 16th century that focused on understanding specific mechanisms of physical nature by examination, repeated experiments and proper description

The most of the Old Testament was written in the age of mythology. Thats why we have symbolic numbers like 7, 40 there, waters in the beginning, God breathing into man, Leviathan as a zoomorphic concept of danger/chaos etc.

The New Testament was written in the philosophical era. Thats why we have concepts like Logos, there.

No part of the Bible was written in the scientific era. Its not its language and therefore a try to read the Bible in that way will produce errors and conflicts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟838,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My intent is not evangelical to try to convert infidels. We just use Science to help us to have a more in-depth understanding of the Bible and how the Bible can be applied to our lives. The reprobate seems to have to prove the Bible is not true so they can further their cause. We are not dependent on them for anything. As an antitheist, they depend on religion as something to protest against

Infidels? Reprobate? There's no love in your rhetoric, no compassion or desire to understand. Your lack of doxastic humility is gross. It's no surprise, seeing this way of referring to others, that people are turned away from Christ. You don't have to be evangelical, but you should refrain from speaking in terms of "we." This way of speaking and seeing others does not represent all of us. I love the atheists on this board and have respect for many of them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
No part of the Bible was written in the scientific era.
The Bible talks about wisdom, knowledge and understanding. Mostly David and his son Solomon. They lived 3,000 years ago, so maybe they were just ahead of their time. Paul studied David and learned a lot from him. That is why it is difficult to believe David did not add to what Moses wrote. But they claim there is nothing new. In modern times we have Jung and Disney who both work with archetypes, allegories, paradigms, symbols and so on. This seems to be a very big stumbling block for people who have studied Science extensively. They often do not even have the understanding of a first grader when it comes to working with images like this.

Could be this is why some people hate school. Because the system wants to take something from them that they are not willing to give up. People tell science to take a hike and turn to religion like a duck to water because that is the way their mind works and they like it that way.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Infidels? Reprobate? There's no love in your rhetoric,
There is nothing wrong with using words that are in the Bible. They mean unfaithful and condemned. Romans 1:28 " they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind," tells us they had knowledge but they did not retain it. They did not hold onto what they had. They were to quick to let it go.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟838,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There is nothing wrong with using words that are in the Bible. They mean unfaithful and condemned. Romans 1:28 " they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind," tells us they had knowledge but they did not retain it. They did not hold onto what they had. They were to quick to let it go.

The Bible is used for all kinds of things, not all of which serve Christ. If your use abrogates love of God or love of neighbor, then it's become a idol to serve your own ends. I'm not your judge, but your rhetoric appears prideful and cold. Perhaps you should ask those whom you call infidels how they feel. Do they see the love of Christ in you? That might give you a better sense if they, your neighbors, know you love them.

At any rate, I've derailed your thread. I'll refrain from here on, out of respect for the rules and you.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I'm not your judge, but your rhetoric appears prideful and cold.
Because we cannot judge others. God does not give us that ability. We can only judge our own hearts and project that out onto others.

Upvote 0