What is Salvation? And What is one saved from?

What, who, or where is Salvation? As a noun?

• Righteousness

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The life of Christ

• Professional of faith

• The life of Christ and knowing God and Jesus

• Righteousness and profession of faith

• Total voters

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Explain Salvation as a noun and then as a verb using scriptures as references to your interpretation.
Just briefly, Salvation, the verb form primarily speak of salvation from the wrath of God, though there are other applications

NOUN
1Th 5:9 For God did not appoint us to suffer wrath but to receive salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ

VERB
Ro 5:9 Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him!

• Winner
Reactions: JIMINZ
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I believe that the new birth occurs when the Holy Spirit changes a person's sinful heart; it is of God's will, not ours.

John 3
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. 8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

Romans 9
14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid. 15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

Titus 3
3 For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another. 4 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, 5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; 6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; 7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

This I believe with all my heart, because without the Spirit we can't even understand spiritual things.

Romans 3
11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

1 Corinthians 2
11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. 13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Romans 8
9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. 10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

All the glory belongs to God. He is the Potter; I'm only clay.

The new birth (salvation) results in obedience to Christ. Obedience is working (verb) out our salvation.

We are saved from condemnation (God's wrath). John 3:18 and John 3:36. And we are saved from the power of Satan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
There are two aspects of salvation. Just as eternal life starts in this life, so does salvation. In that sense it includes both reconciliation with God and the Christian life. It also refers to being accepted in the judgement. That's the sense in which Jesus normally uses the term.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Everyone is born disconnected to God, the only source of Life, because sin is a rejection of God and all our ancestors sinned. We have inherited their nature (i.e., disconnected from the only Source of Life). God's nature is love and acceptance and does not have an element of rejection, but he is just and will not withstand injustice for long, and therefore will eventually judge all things, either causing or allowing the just consequences of people's actions to come upon them.

However, there was another way in God's nature that justice might be satisfied for those that rejected him. Because of God's nature of great love and mercy, he sent his Son to pay the price required for justice for our sins. With there being no hindrance between people and God's favor, God could then cause people's dead spirits pass away and give them a rebirth connected with Himself. Adam originally had a holy connection to God, but the new "connection" God would give would be superior to that—to be reborn combined with his Son, not just "connected" to his Son. As a result those reborn would become his sons and daughters—and siblings of Jesus Christ—perfect, pure, and holy.

Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God—children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God. (John 1:12-13, 1984 NIV)

However, it would be unjust to recreate people who had not given him permission—yielded to his authority, so God told the people about their separation from Him and their need for rebirth, and that if they wanted to receive that from him, he needed to be accepted as the one who had the right to give and take their lives. He also told of the incredible blessings of being joined with his perfect, loving, and mighty Son, becoming like gods themselves. He then commanded them to tell everyone about their sinful state and train their children up with a knowledge of the Truth, so that all might receive the gift of His Son's Life.

that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. (2 Corinthians 5:19, 1984 NIV)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Just briefly, Salvation, the verb form primarily speak of salvation from the wrath of God, though there are other applications

NOUN
1Th 5:9 For God did not appoint us to suffer wrath but to receive salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ

VERB
Ro 5:9 Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him!
Do you know how one receivers salvation through our Lord Jesus?

And do you know how one is saved from God's wrath?.... using biblical references

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Do you know how one receivers salvation through our Lord Jesus?

And do you know how one is saved from God's wrath?.... using biblical references
One receives salvation by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ

"Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved" Acts 16:30,31

We know that one is saved from God's wrath based on the word of God.

"I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life." John 5:24

"Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him." Rom 5:9

Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

"Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved" Acts 16:30,31

"I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life." John 5:24

"Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him." Rom 5:9
Thank you !

What was he asking to be saved from?
And what was He to believe about Jesus?
That He was their Lord

Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved" Acts 16:30,31

"You will " is this immediately?
All one has to do is believe in "lord" Jesus.
How does one do that? By Just believing He is Lord and came from God? Or putting confidence in Him by doing what ever he says? Or believing He came from God or is God?
So being born again is the same thing as believing in Him?
As you see In confused somewhere...

Formerly being taught you just must believe He died for our sins and resurrected...

So what must I believe to have heaven when I die...or be saved from His wrath if that is the same thing?

"
I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life." John 5:24
So which is it? Believe God who sent Him and have Eternal life, or believe in the Lord Jesus?
Or are they saying just believe in God..

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Thank you !

What was he asking to be saved from?
And what was He to believe about Jesus?
That He was their Lord

Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved" Acts 16:30,31

"You will " is this immediately?
All one has to do is believe in "lord" Jesus.
How does one do that? By Just believing He is Lord and came from God? Or putting confidence in Him by doing what ever he says? Or believing He came from God or is God?
So being born again is the same thing as believing in Him?
As you see In confused somewhere...

Formerly being taught you just must believe He died for our sins and resurrected...

So what must I believe to have heaven when I die...or be saved from His wrath if that is the same thing?

"
I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life." John 5:24
So which is it? Believe God who sent Him and have Eternal life, or believe in the Lord Jesus?
Or are they saying just believe in God..
The idea is that the object of faith is both the promise of God itself and the person behind that promise, namely Jesus.

I think Romans 4 brings this out. It starts with the promise. "What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather, discovered in this matter? If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about— but not before God. What does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness." Rom 4:1-3 What's it referencing is the promise of Genesis 15:5. That is God gave Abraham a promise, and the very next verse he believes the promise and is reckoned righteous, there being no intervening work between Gen 15:5 and Gen 15:6, thus proving Paul's assertion that justification is by faith alone apart from works.

He goes on to speak of trusting in God. "Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation. However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness." Rom 4:4,5

So a righteous standing with God is obtained by believing God's promise and trusting in God. Then he speaks on the implication of being reckoned righteous, namely the forgiveness of sins:

David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the man to whom God credits righteousness apart from works: "Blessed are they whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord will never count against him." Rom 4:6-8

And that means that such a person is saved from God's wrath, since their sins are forgiven, indeed forgotten, there is no reason for God to punish them. That's why he goes on in the next chapter to say, "God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him." Rom 5:8,9

Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The idea is that the object of faith is both the promise of God itself and the person behind that promise, namely Jesus.

I think Romans 4 brings this out. It starts with the promise. "What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather, discovered in this matter? If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about— but not before God. What does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness." Rom 4:1-3 What's it referencing is the promise of Genesis 15:5. That is God gave Abraham a promise, and the very next verse he believes the promise and is reckoned righteous, there being no intervening work between Gen 15:5 and Gen 15:6, thus proving Paul's assertion that justification is by faith alone apart from works.

He goes on to speak of trusting in God. "Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation. However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness." Rom 4:4,5

So a righteous standing with God is obtained by believing God's promise and trusting in God. Then he speaks on the implication of being reckoned righteous, namely the forgiveness of sins:

David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the man to whom God credits righteousness apart from works: "Blessed are they whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord will never count against him." Rom 4:6-8

And that means that such a person is saved from God's wrath, since their sins are forgiven, indeed forgotten, there is no reason for God to punish them. That's why he goes on in the next chapter to say, "God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him." Rom 5:8,9
I've read your post....gives me lot to study and meditate on. For not sure of How you placed everything together even it seems to line up. But hope to take sometime to study the passages you left and your interpretation and come back maybe to share where I disagree or agree.

For starters , there was a post left that stated most of the passages were about being saved from God's wrath in the future...However I've never added them up to take a toll to find that to be true.

What was Abraham's Justification for?
to be saved from God's wrath? Or for a son?
I have some reading to do so hope to reply back in the next day or 2.....
Again thanks! Well thought out answer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
I've read your post....gives me lot to study and meditate on. For not sure of How you placed everything together even it seems to line up. But hope to take sometime to study the passages you left and your interpretation and come back maybe to share where I disagree or agree.

For starters , there was a post left that stated most of the passages were about being saved from God's wrath in the future...However I've never added them up to take a toll to find that to be true.

What was Abraham's Justification for?
to be saved from God's wrath? Or for a son?
I have some reading to do so hope to reply back in the next day or 2.....
Again thanks! Well thought out answer.
Regarding the promises given Abraham, granted it wasn't itself a promise of eternal life, unlike the explicit promises given Christians. But the idea is that it was upon the basis that Abraham simply believed God, that faith was the reason he was reckoned righteous. The important thing about saving faith is who you are putting your trust in.

There's a subtle difference between a person believing that they are saved and trusting in God to fulfilled His promise of salvation. The object of one's faith should not be one's own faith, but rather in God who gave the promise. Secondly is the degree of one's trust.

Rom 4:18-22 Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed and so became the father of many nations, just as it had been said to him, "So shall your offspring be." Without weakening in his faith, he faced the fact that his body was as good as dead— since he was about a hundred years old— and that Sarah’s womb was also dead. Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised. This is why "it was credited to him as righteousness."

Confident faith, Repentance - which is a change of mind, and Rest, these characterize those who put their trust in God. "This is what the Sovereign LORD, the Holy One of Israel, says: "In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, but you would have none of it."" Isaiah 30:15

Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Regarding the promises given Abraham, granted it wasn't itself a promise of eternal life, unlike the explicit promises given Christians. But the idea is that it was upon the basis that Abraham simply believed God, that faith was the reason he was reckoned righteous. The important thing about saving faith is who you are putting your trust in.

There's a subtle difference between a person believing that they are saved and trusting in God to fulfilled His promise of salvation. The object of one's faith should not be one's own faith, but rather in God who gave the promise. Secondly is the degree of one's trust.

Rom 4:18-22 Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed and so became the father of many nations, just as it had been said to him, "So shall your offspring be." Without weakening in his faith, he faced the fact that his body was as good as dead— since he was about a hundred years old— and that Sarah’s womb was also dead. Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised. This is why "it was credited to him as righteousness."

Confident faith, Repentance - which is a change of mind, and Rest, these characterize those who put their trust in God. "This is what the Sovereign LORD, the Holy One of Israel, says: "In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, but you would have none of it."" Isaiah 30:15
One ideal that has been brought to the forefront is that He trusted who God was most likely as provider, and I wouldn't say about something he had yet to had seen concerning God's provisions. Trust was the key....He didn't have to worry about heaven when He died because He was experiencing God's provisions now. Thus we also learn how to depend on Christ to experience his provisions or promises. Not so we can have heaven when we die but so that we can enter His kingdom now..and heaven when we die an extension of what is received now.
As in my opinion is stated in this passages;
John 6;40

And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Thanks for discussion...I have to look over your previous post still...and scripture passages

Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

"

Ok...I read this context.....and this seems to be an outcome statement. He hears because He has been given, most likely the Spirit through obedience...or something.
Yet those that failed to hear were most likely not obedient to the law...meaning at least wanted to try and keep it.

"(Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved" Acts 16:30,31)"

31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

32 And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house.

33 And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway.

Ok, so I read the context once....
And my question is what was the man asking to be saved from....? HIS sins? Like he wanted to be forgiven from his sins?
As I was reading it seems He first had to recognize Jesus as Lord and God...At least with the miracle of the chains breaking through. AND THIS I WOULD TAKE WAS THE RIGHTEOUS STANDING....BUT HIS FIRGIVENESS CAME[IT SEEMS] DURING HIS ACTION OF WASHING THE DISCIPLES STRIPES....FOR STRAIT WAY HE AND FAMILY WERE Batized[maybe baptism Meaning forgiven] yet to be sure I should read on..

So in these 2 passages were they speaking of heaven [after death] in relation to salvation?

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Explain Salvation as a noun and then as a verb using scriptures as references to your interpretation.
1. A free gift from God.

2. Escaping the wrath of God that is due us for our sins against Him.

These are not my "interpretations" - just the facts.

We all know the supporting scriptures.

Listing them here would just give people who don't or won't understand the facts a chance to argue against what God has told us.

Upvote 0

Dan the deacon

Jul 10, 2018
Perry
✟28,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

We never know if someone is saved. Men can and do lie. We truly won't know if we are saved until.the judgement. I don't care how many songs say we know. What we have is hope not knowledge.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We're saved from being lost, exiled from our Father, where we don't know where we came from, if anywhere, why we're here, if for anything, and where we're going, if anywhere. We're saved "from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors" 1 Pet 1:18, where the "knowledge of God" had been lost, traded by our first ancestor for paltry, worldly, created, things and selfish futile values.
"Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent." John 17:3

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: corinth77777
Upvote 0