What is really going on between Ron De Santis and Disney?

APersonWithNoName

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2022
Auckland
✟90,245.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
hello

I have watched Youtube videos on this matter from both left leaning source ie CBS and right leaning source ie Fox News.

And I am still having trouble making sense of what exactly is going on.

according to the CBS source, Disney merely "criticized" the new bill which Florida recently passed, and Ron De Santis is retaliating by stripping Disney of their autonomous status.

according to the Fox source, Disney is doing more than just "criticizing" the new bill. Disney is vowing to do everything they can to "repeal" the law.

what actually happened?

anyway, I have to say at this point, I am actually leaning more towards Disney, I mean Disney does have right to free speech under the first amendment, so it feels like Ron De
Santis is retaliating against Disney.

But I can't be sure though, because both the conservative and liberal news source seem to tell a different story.

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,659.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
hello

I have watched Youtube videos on this matter from both left leaning source ie CBS and right leaning source ie Fox News.

according to the CBS source, Disney merely "criticized" the new bill which Florida recently passed, and Ron De Santis is retaliating by stripping Disney of their autonomous status.

according to the Fox source, Disney is doing more than just "criticizing" the new bill. Disney is vowing to do everything they can to "repeal" the law.

what actually happened?

anyway, I have to say at this point, I am actually leaning more towards Disney, I mean Disney does have right to free speech under the first amendment, so it feels like Ron De

But I can't be sure though, because both the conservative and liberal news source seem to tell a different story.
GOP playbook is to have a well defined enemy to draw the attention from them not actually governing.

It has reached a point where Disney is the avowed enemy. I confidently expect that within a few weeks it will always have been the avowed enemy.

• Winner
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

FanthatSpark

LImited Understanding
Oct 3, 2013
✟78,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The exemption status from things like permits to build is a small part of the fight but it will do as an example. Disney established a government of its own inside the property. Roads and buildings can be done without approval- permits or epa etc. From my understanding (which is limited, lol) the state law makers D&R enact legislation for the people of fla. but it does not effect Disney (Laws for thee not for me ). However, Disney has a lot of lobbyists extracting political favors too. So, and end to this privileged existence for Disney.

That is a small piece of the fight. Hope that helps.

• Agree
Reactions: atpollard
Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟141,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hello

what actually happened?

Disney issued a statement that they were going to work to have the law repealed. A corporation should not be deciding what the law is. We have a representative process for making laws. All that is happening is a major corporation is going to have to pay its fair share of taxes. Isn't that what liberals have been for? They say it a lot but in this situation apparently that's not the case

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hello

what actually happened?

Honestly, I think it was a knee jerk move on Desantis part. Disney provides it's own water, electricity police and fire forces. I guess the tax payers lose again.
All this because he is a Seven Mountains Mandate proponent with an unbridled ego.
‘Catastrophic:’ If Disney loses self-government, it will cost taxpayers

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Disney issued a statement that they were going to work to have the law repealed. A corporation should not be deciding what the law is. We have a representative process for making laws. All that is happening is a major corporation is going to have to pay its fair share of taxes. Isn't that what liberals have been for? They say it a lot but in this situation apparently that's not the case

You can thank the GOP for that. In Citizens United vs The FEC the Supreme Court ruled that corporations are "persons" and that money is "free speech", giving even more unprecedented levels of influence to corporations in American politics and policy.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟141,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can thank the GOP for that. In Citizens United vs The FEC the Supreme Court ruled that corporations are "persons" and that money is "free speech", giving even more unprecedented levels of influence to corporations in American politics and policy.

-CryptoLutheran
That is how Facebook bought the 2020 election

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
hello

what actually happened?

It's not a different story. Just slightly different views of it. Disney doesn't have the power to repeal laws. They will try to influence people to repeal it. That's what both stories say.

It is, as others have noted, perfectly legitimate under current law. Corporations are persons, with first amendment rights.

• Informative
Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think Disney will take the state of Florida to court...and win. DeSantis probably realizes this of course. DeSantis and his republican "cultural warriors" in the state legislature are doing this all for show. In the end, this was a really stupid move. Major corporations will think twice before making any further investments in the state of Florida.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
FOX Business

Will Disney's loss of special tax district in Florida mean taxpayers are stuck with the bill?
Orange County Tax Collector Scott Randolph says the move by the Florida legislature will cost local taxpayers big bucks

Randolph told FOX Business that could mean an increase in property taxes of 25% if Orange County has to absorb all of it.

Florida state Rep. Randy Fine, the Republican who sponsored the legislation, told FOX Business that that argument is "just a scare tactic used by woke politicians."

Upvote 0

APersonWithNoName

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2022
Auckland
✟90,245.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One important point is that Disney has suspended its political contributions - no pay, no play.

what do you mean by political contribution?

contribution to Democrat party? why would they do that?

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Except Disney isn't going to pay any more taxes, they'll be paying the same taxes they did previously. Instead, Disney was able to give some of the taxes to the Improvement District (while controlled by them, it was a separate organization that was separately audited) to build and maintain roads. Now, instead of to the Improvement District, that money and the responsibility for maintaining roads will go to the counties, along with absorbing $1 billion in bonds currently held by the Improvement District (money borrowed to build roads by the District).

From what I've found, getting rid of the Improvement District won't hurt Disney -- other than they won't be able to have roads maintained at the level they would like (they've maintained their roads much better than the county does its own roads). It is unclear if it will hurt the county -- though they will need to take over the $1 billion debt from the Improvement District -- though they will also start receiving the taxes Disney paid the Improvement District. It will add extra cost for the county initially, as they need to increase their workload from the extra responsibilities.

• Informative
Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟298,732.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
No Zuckerberg spent 300 million in a very effective strategy. It's all legal

Zuckerberg is not facebook and vice versa. (Also I'm assuming punctuation between "No" and "Zuckerburg". That sentence is a mess.)

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
what do you mean by political contribution?
I mean money, dollars, given to politicians' campaigns. Was I unclear?

contribution to Democrat party? why would they do that?
There is no "Democrat party". :doh:

They contribute pretty much to all parties who have people in places to decide policies. They do it to grease the wheels, which apparently has been effective. Look at the fallout from when they paused the giving...

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
FOX Business

Will Disney's loss of special tax district in Florida mean taxpayers are stuck with the bill?
Orange County Tax Collector Scott Randolph says the move by the Florida legislature will cost local taxpayers big bucks

Randolph told FOX Business that could mean an increase in property taxes of 25% if Orange County has to absorb all of it.

Florida state Rep. Randy Fine, the Republican who sponsored the legislation, told FOX Business that that argument is "just a scare tactic used by woke politicians."
Special districts aren't all that special in Florida. Here is a list of them in Florida. Reedy Creek (link to about) is still listed.

AboutReedyCreek said:
The District is responsible to oversee land use and environmental protections within the District, and provide essential public services (e.g. fire protection, emergency medical services, potable water production, treatment, storage, pumping & distribution, reclaimed water distribution, chilled and hot water systems, wastewater services, drainage and flood control, electric power generation & distribution, and solid waste and recyclables collection & disposal); regulate the EPCOT Building Code; and operate and maintain all public roadways & bridges. The District operates on a fiscal year, beginning on October 1st and ending on September 30th; and funds its operations, services, and capital improvements by assessing taxes and fees to the District’s landowners and lessees, and by issuing ad valorem and utility revenue bonds.

Upvote 0