Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
A fellow christian told me about a site that appears to say that this parable is actually a prophetic parable about Jesus on the Cross, but also says the rich man is symbolic of "Judah" in the NT. Has anyone studied this yet? Thanks.

http://www.kingdombiblestudies.org/abraham/abrahams_bosom.htm

The story of the rich man and Lazarus is without doubt one of the most misunderstood of all the stories in the Bible. Is it a parable, or an actual statement of facts concerning life beyond the grave? It is strenuously denied by most evangelists that this story, as told by Christ, could be a parable. They hold that this is not a parable because it starts out in narrative form. It is argued, because it reads, "there was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day," that Christ is speaking here of an actual incident that took place. But in the parable of the prodigal son, in the fifteenth chapter of Luke, the narrative introduction is found also, for it says, "A certain man had two sons..." Yet it is generally conceded that the story of the prodigal son is a parable and all the fundamentalist preachers love to preach from its beautiful figures, thus applying it as a parable.
http://www.kingdombiblestudies.org/tablecontents.htm

[SIZE=+2]Matthew 5:16 "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.[/SIZE]

Reactions: joyshirley

Harlan Norris

Jun 20, 2005
Aurora Co
✟10,455.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
LittleLambofJesus said:
A fellow christian told me about a site that appears to say that this parable is actually a prophetic parable about Jesus on the Cross, but also says the rich man is symbolic of "Judah" in the NT. Has anyone studied this yet? Thanks.

The story of the rich man and Lazarus is without doubt one of the most misunderstood of all the stories in the Bible. Is it a parable, or an actual statement of facts concerning life beyond the grave? It is strenuously denied by most evangelists that this story, as told by Christ, could be a parable. They hold that this is not a parable because it starts out in narrative form. It is argued, because it reads, "there was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day," that Christ is speaking here of an actual incident that took place. But in the parable of the prodigal son, in the fifteenth chapter of Luke, the narrative introduction is found also, for it says, "A certain man had two sons..." Yet it is generally conceded that the story of the prodigal son is a parable and all the fundamentalist preachers love to preach from its beautiful figures, thus applying it as a parable.

[SIZE=+2]Matthew 5:16 "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.[/SIZE]
I haven't studied it.I have read it. It appears to me to be a story about a couple of real men. They have names.Lazarus is named,indicating that he was a real person.Also Abraham,is named.The rich man is not named though,so I could be wrong.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The fact that the rich man cannot reach over the abyss tells us there is no leaving hell.
And that all the comforts on earth we have yet refuse to share with those less fortunate, means we are judged on how we are to others. {A gr8 Case for doing works....;)}

The two sons means that Heaven rejoices in a repentant sinner who returns.

Upvote 0

anawim

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2004
NY suburbs
Visit site
✟19,965.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
LittleLambofJesus said:

Abraham's bosom was the place where those who were saved, but could not go to heaven until Jesus had died and as Peter tells us, "preached to those in prison".

Upvote 0

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
Irenaeus said:
It's about the Last Things: Especially Heaven and Hell, however.

I see no additional piece to the parable, which is awfully straightforward.

I don't think the primary purpose of the parable was to detail the geography of the afterlife. The parts of the article that I read made an analogy with Judah make sense.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
fragmentsofdreams said:
I don't think the primary purpose of the parable was to detail the geography of the afterlife. The parts of the article that I read made an analogy with Judah make sense.
Thanks you all for the responses. I believe this parable is one of the most important ones in the NT as it is the NT.

Remember Israel was cast off from God in the OT, while Judah remained married. The real clue comes from the OT when he mentions the 5 brothers.
http://users.aristotle.net/~bhuie/lazarus.htm
[SIZE=+1]LUKE 16:27 "Then he said, 'I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father's house, 28 for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, lest they also come to this place of torment.'" (NKJV) [/SIZE]​
[SIZE=+1]. He pleads with him to send someone to warn his brothers, so that they may escape "this place of torment" (basanou), the testing and punishment that he was undergoing. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]The fact that the rich man has five brothers is a vital clue to his true symbolic identity.

Judah, was the son of Jacob through Leah (Gen. 29:35). He had five full-blooded brothers: Reuben, Simeon, Levi, Issachar, and Zebulun (Gen. 35:23). [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]
While the significance of this seemingly pointless detail has been neglected by scholars throughout the centuries, you can be certain that it did not escape the notice of the Pharisees and scribes to which Christ was speaking. They thoroughly knew their history and were extremely proud of their heritage.

Yeshua wanted those self-righteous Pharisees to know exactly who He was referring to with this parable. This detail cements the identity of the rich man as the house of Judah, the Jews!

[/SIZE][SIZE=+2]Matthew 21:43 "Therefore I say to you, the kingdom of God will be taken from you and given to a nation bearing the fruits of it.[/SIZE]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
LittleLambofJesus said:
Thanks you all for the responses. I believe this parable is one of the most important ones in the NT as it is the NT.

Remember Israel was cast off from God in the OT, while Judah remained married. The real clue comes from the OT when he mentions the 5 brothers.
LUKE 16:27 "Then he said, 'I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father's house, 28 for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, lest they also come to this place of torment.'" (NKJV)​
. He pleads with him to send someone to warn his brothers, so that they may escape "this place of torment" (basanou), the testing and punishment that he was undergoing.
The fact that the rich man has five brothers is a vital clue to his true symbolic identity.

Judah, was the son of Jacob through Leah (Gen. 29:35). He had five full-blooded brothers: Reuben, Simeon, Levi, Issachar, and Zebulun (Gen. 35:23).

While the significance of this seemingly pointless detail has been neglected by scholars throughout the centuries, you can be certain that it did not escape the notice of the Pharisees and scribes to which Christ was speaking. They thoroughly knew their history and were extremely proud of their heritage.

Yeshua wanted those self-righteous Pharisees to know exactly who He was referring to with this parable. This detail cements the identity of the rich man as the house of Judah, the Jews!

Matthew 21:43 "Therefore I say to you, the kingdom of God will be taken from you and given to a nation bearing the fruits of it.
Would anyone be interested in doing a study on this? A lot of christians view the CC in an "evil" light and some even believe she is in revelation really is so ridiculous it isn't funny.
This parable is in fact a parallel to revelation in many ways, even the symbolic "lake of fire" which is another fascinating study I am doing. Blessings to all.

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

'Christ's desolate heart is in need of comfort'
Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
Hi LLJ,
I think this parable is confusing to many christians because they assume that the Rich man was sent to hell (Ghenna), when in fact he was sent to hell (Hades).

As we know, there is a profound difference here. Hell (Ghenna) is total destruction of the soul, whereas hell (Hades) is often used in Scripture to denote perhaps a waiting place or hell-but-not-quite-hell (like purgatory).

In psalms we here of someone praising God for letting him out of Hades. There is also other passages like this scattered around Scripture. In 1 Peter 3:19, Christ "preaches to the spirits in prison", which can perhaps be used interchangably with Hades. I can't be sure, but I do know this would make for a good study.

Anyway, the great abyss that separates Hades from Lazarus does not neccessarily mean that the rich man can never leave Hades. It probably just means that he can't leave NOW, and/or under his own power.

Blessings,

-Davide

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

'Christ's desolate heart is in need of comfort'
Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
Simon_Templar said:
By "complete destruction of the soul" do you mean "extinction of being" that the person ceases to exist?

No. We don't believe in annihilationism. I would say it is more precise to say that souls in hell are eternally being destroyed.

Blessings,

-Davide

Upvote 0

JonahII

Mar 2, 2006
✟230.00
Faith
Christian
I believe that the notion that this is a parable is incorrect. Names are used. Lazarus is talked about as a historical person. So is Abraham. I am not aware of any parable elsewhere where names are used. The rich man is not named. I read a true story of a priest who was killed in a motorcycle accident, and was allowed to see heaven and hell before the Lord told him he must come back. He knew some of the people in hell, some of whom were priests and bishops, and he was not allowed to reveal who they were.

This true story calls us to repentance and a life of holiness. The vision of hell which the children of Fatima were allowed to see, should do the same.:pray:

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi LLJ,
I think this parable is confusing to many christians because they assume that the Rich man was sent to hell (Ghenna), when in fact he was sent to hell (Hades).

As we know, there is a profound difference here. Hell (Ghenna) is total destruction of the soul, whereas hell (Hades) is often used in Scripture to denote perhaps a waiting place or hell-but-not-quite-hell (like purgatory).
JonahII said:
I believe that the notion that this is a parable is incorrect. Names are used. Lazarus is talked about as a historical person. So is Abraham. I am not aware of any parable elsewhere where names are used. The rich man is not named.
That followed right after the parable of the rich man and steward. He never talk to them except through parables.

Mark 4:3 And with many such parables He spoke the word to them as they were able to hear [it.] 34 But without a parable He did not speak to them. And when they were alone, He explained all things to His disciples

The next chapter is concerns the "endtime" of the Jewish Nation and again he is talking to them:

Luke 17:20 Now when He was asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, He answered them and said, "The kingdom of God does not come with observation; 21 "nor will they say, 'See here!' or 'See there!' For indeed, the kingdom of God is within you." 22 Then He said to the disciples, "The days will come when you will desire to see one of the days of the Son of Man, and you will not see [it.]

LUKE 16:27 "Then he said, 'I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father's house, 28 for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, lest they also come to this place of torment.'" (NKJV)​
. He pleads with him to send someone to warn his brothers, so that they may escape "this place of torment" (basanou), the testing and punishment that he was undergoing.
The fact that the rich man has five brothers is a vital clue to his true symbolic identity.

Judah, was the son of Jacob through Leah (Gen. 29:35). He had five full-blooded brothers: Reuben, Simeon, Levi, Issachar, and Zebulun (Gen. 35:23).

Matthew 21:43 "Therefore I say to you, the kingdom of God will be taken from you and given to a nation bearing the fruits of it.

This shows a testing and trying in fire, not annihilation:
Mala 3:2
"But who can endure the day of His coming? And who can stand when He appears? For He [is] like a refiner's fire And like launderer's soap. 3 He will sit as a refiner and a purifier of silver; He will purify the sons of Levi, And purge them as gold and silver, That they may offer to the LORD An offering in righteousness.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Rising_Suns said:
Hi LLJ,

In psalms we here of someone praising God for letting him out of Hades. There is also other passages like this scattered around Scripture. In 1 Peter 3:19, Christ "preaches to the spirits in prison", which can perhaps be used interchangably with Hades. I can't be sure, but I do know this would make for a good study.

Anyway, the great abyss that separates Hades from Lazarus does not neccessarily mean that the rich man can never leave Hades. It probably just means that he can't leave NOW, and/or under his own power.

Blessings,

-Davide

You are probably right, I started posting it was purgatory then I changed it.
Because I was unsure of the 'term' used in Greek or Aramic.

Thank you. :wave:

But the part that stays with me is also the fact he refused to care for or feed the man Lazarus. Aka works IMHO.

The brothers analogy is also a gr8 thot provoking study, Littlelamb. :hug:I would have to cross reference the Bible versions.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
JonahII said:
I believe that the notion that this is a parable is incorrect. Names are used. Lazarus is talked about as a historical person. So is Abraham. I am not aware of any parable elsewhere where names are used. The rich man is not named. I read a true story of a priest who was killed in a motorcycle accident, and was allowed to see heaven and hell before the Lord told him he must come back. He knew some of the people in hell, some of whom were priests and bishops, and he was not allowed to reveal who they were.

This true story calls us to repentance and a life of holiness. The vision of hell which the children of Fatima were allowed to see, should do the same.:pray:

:eek: Yep, that should scare the pants off us.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
WarriorAngel said:
You are probably right, I started posting it was purgatory then I changed it.
Because I was unsure of the 'term' used in Greek or Aramic.

Thank you. :wave:

But the part that stays with me is also the fact he refused to care for or feed the man Lazarus. Aka works IMHO.

The brothers analogy is also a gr8 thot provoking study, Littlelamb. :hug:I would have to cross reference the Bible versions.

Thanks.
That parable has fascinated me for the past week and there is really not any of the OT that is doesn't touch on. I get tired of hearing a lot of futurists christians saying the "pope and CC" are the harlot in revelation and that is ridiculous. Those 2 sites are really helpfull with the greek and cross referencing and even explains the "lake of fire" which appeart to actually be on "earth"??

http://www.godfire.net/eby/

For example, look at this passage in Jeremiah 17 on the Nation of Judah, not the CC:

Jeremiah 17:1 "The sin of Judah [is] written with a pen of iron; With the point of a diamond [it is] engraved On the tablet of their heart, And on the horns of your altars, 2 While their children remember Their altars and their wooden images By the green trees on the high hills. 3 O My mountain in the field, I will give as plunder your wealth, all your treasures, [And] your high places of sin within all your borders. 4 And you, even yourself, Shall let go of your heritage which I gave you; And I will cause you to serve your enemies In the land which you do not know; For you have kindled a fire in My anger [which] shall burn forever."[SIZE=+2]
[/SIZE]

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
LittleLambofJesus said:
That parable has fascinated me for the past week and there is really not any of the OT that is doesn't touch on. I get tired of hearing a lot of futurists christians saying the "pope and CC" are the harlot in revelation and that is ridiculous. Those 2 sites are really helpfull with the greek and cross referencing and even explains the "lake of fire" which appeart to actually be on "earth"??

http://www.godfire.net/eby/

For example, look at this passage in Jeremiah 17 on the Nation of Judah, not the CC:

Jeremiah 17:1 "The sin of Judah [is] written with a pen of iron; With the point of a diamond [it is] engraved On the tablet of their heart, And on the horns of your altars, 2 While their children remember Their altars and their wooden images By the green trees on the high hills. 3 O My mountain in the field, I will give as plunder your wealth, all your treasures, [And] your high places of sin within all your borders. 4 And you, even yourself, Shall let go of your heritage which I gave you; And I will cause you to serve your enemies In the land which you do not know; For you have kindled a fire in My anger [which] shall burn forever."[SIZE=+2]
[/SIZE]

I very much agree!!!!!!!:amen:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.