What is "Once Saved Always Saved," anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveKerwin

Represent the Most High
May 31, 2002
Detroit, MI
Visit site
✟21,031.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Shimon
"Once saved always saved" is the Southern Baptist doctrine that one cannot lose their salvation. It directly contradicts Yeshua's own words.

Shimon

Thats easy to say without quoting the bible.

If you make the claim, support it.

There have been MANY threads on the topic of losing salvation.

Upvote 0
Thats easy to say without quoting the bible.

If you make the claim, support it.

There have been MANY threads on the topic of losing salvation.

It's also easy to say *with* quotes from the bible:

Matthew 13:18-23:

18"Listen then to what the parable of the sower means: 19When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. This is the seed sown along the path. 20The one who received the seed that fell on rocky places is the man who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. 21But since he has no root, he lasts only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, he quickly falls away. 22The one who received the seed that fell among the thorns is the man who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke it, making it unfruitful. 23But the one who received the seed that fell on good soil is the man who hears the word and understands it. He produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown."

Here is Yeshua, telling us in no uncertain words, that there are those who refuse to accept the word, and there are those who accept it, but fall by the wayside because of persecution or because of the worries of this life.

Matthew 7:21-23: 21"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

Who prophesies and drives out demons in the Name of Yeshua? Jews? Moslems? Buddhists? No, it's Christians. Here is Yeshua, telling us that many "Christians" will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven because He never knew them.

Shimon

Upvote 0

kern

Miserere Nobis
Apr 14, 2002
Florida, USA
Visit site
✟3,249.00
Faith
Catholic
Originally posted by Jesaiah
Shimon,

Since you do not hold to Once Saved Always Saved then how do you explain Romans 8?:confused: We do not do anything to earn our salvation so how do we do anything to lose it?

Not everyone believes that we do nothing to earn our salvation. I can't speak for Protestant OSNAS believers, but Catholics believe that both the act of belief and works are necessary to acquire and maintain salvation. We do not believe in "total depravity" of mankind; rather, humans can and do make good decisions -- even an unsaved person can do good works. But without the faith in Jesus you have no hope of heaven, regardless of how many good works you do.

Certain interpretations of Romans 8 and 9 do seem to contradict this. There are several other threads on election vs. free will so there's no need to hijack this thread.

-Chris

Upvote 0

Ioustinos

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally posted by kern
Not everyone believes that we do nothing to earn our salvation. I can't speak for Protestant OSNAS believers, but Catholics believe that both the act of belief and works are necessary to acquire and maintain salvation. We do not believe in "total depravity" of mankind; rather, humans can and do make good decisions -- even an unsaved person can do good works. But without the faith in Jesus you have no hope of heaven, regardless of how many good works you do.

Certain interpretations of Romans 8 and 9 do seem to contradict this. There are several other threads on election vs. free will so there's no need to hijack this thread.

-Chris

Hmmm....Hijack the thread, eh? Not really. The question is in regards to OSAS so how is referring to scripture that would support OSAS hijacking a thread:scratch:

Just to elaborate Romans 8 says that those whom God justifies he also will glorify. And when one is saved (has faith in Christ) they are justified. So if God promises to glorify those whom He has justified then how does one lose their salvation?

Try not to jump the gun next time :cool:

Upvote 0
 you have a misconception of grace

first i will define grace

our riches at Christ expense, then enabling of us to be saved, geting something we don't deserve or haven't earned/can't earn (as opposed to mercy wich is not getting what we deserve)

now that we know what grace is can we resist it no 100% no God gave his grace to everyone!!!! not just some people but to everyone every person on this earth that has and will live has the possibility to be saved because God gave his son for not just some but for the whole world

now i know you may be confused because you might be thinking we don't have free will if we can't resist Gods grace but thats a misconception even though he has enabled everyone to be saved it doesn't mean everyone will be saved

let me use an anology (since i'm a teen i'll use a teen anology) it's like someone having a crush on you even though you may know it you can't make them stop liking you but you can choose weather or not to do something with them

also what is being saved you must reject the old ways and turn from your sin accepting Jesus as your way out of it

alot of people have the Jesus part but never turn from there sin i don't understand it it seems plain to me but i know what it's like to be blind so they don't get it but remember even satan believed in Jesus

another anology being a sinner is like being an alchoholic the first step to rehabilitation is admitting the problem it's the same with sinning the first step is admitting the problem and giving it to Jesus but like with alchoholism if you admitt the problem and know how to fix it but don't fix it you are a failure

because remember faith without works is dead!

ok enough ranting lets reccap

grace cannot be resisted but you do not have to use it, it's your free will to choose to use it or not

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ioustinos

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hanani,

grace is cannot be resisted but you do not have to use it, it's your free will to choose to use it or not

Even with your "explanation", do yo see how contradictory your statement is?

Also would you be willing to reply concerning Romans 8?

Upvote 0
my statement is not contradictory you cannot resist an enabling but u choose to use it

how bout this anology it's like someone giving you all the ingredients to make a cake they enabled you to do it but you still have to be the one to do it

just like that God enabled everyone to be saved but they still have to have faith to be saved

we are saved by grace through faith

Upvote 0

Ioustinos

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hanani,

my statement is not contradictory you cannot resist an enabling but u choose to use it

You do not see that saying "grace cannot be resisted" and "you don't have to use it" is not a contradiction? If grace cannot be resisted then you cannot refuse to use it.

Do you believe that when you accept Christ as savior that God justifies you?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
grace i say again is an enabling of us to be saved everyone is enabled but not everyone is saved because they choose not to use the enabling please just read that a couple times and let it soke in it realy does not contradict itself

and before i answer your other question i need to know your definition of justifies to make sure were on the same page :)

Upvote 0

Ioustinos

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally posted by Hanani

and before i answer your other question i need to know your definition of justifies to make sure were on the same page :)

Justification is the act of being declared just or righteous; that being that through the work of Christ we have been forgiven of our past sin and therefore "our slate is clean" before God.

Upvote 0

Ioustinos

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally posted by Hanani
i believe we are justified when we ask forgiveness and turn from our sin to strenthen our personal relationship with Christ Jesus

BTW it's getting late i need to hit the rack i'll prob pick the discussion back up in the morning :)

Ok so God does justify us when we have faith in Christ Jesus.

Romans 8:30
And these whom He predestined, He also called;and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified.

Forget about the idea of predestination in this passage and focus on justification. Paul says that those whom God has justified, He will also glorify them. So my question is how can one lose their salvation if God promises to glorify those whom he justified?

Have a good night :sleep:

Upvote 0
James 2:26
For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.

Isaiah 7:9
The head of Ephraim is Samaria, and the head of Samaria is only Remaliah's son. If you do not stand firm in your faith, you will not stand at all.' "

and theres no problems with handling the predestination part of the verse God has a plan for each and everyone of us and he gives us the grace or enables us to carry out that plan but we still have to choose to do it or not

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.