what is non-denominational?

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
when a group of christian come together, a tradition started, then it grow to become a denomination, in view of other groups. So is there such thing called non-denominational?
It's usually a post-reformation group stating that it doesn't like being labelled.

See the statement of purpose in this subforum for more details.

Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
when a group of christian come together, a tradition started, then it grow to become a denomination, in view of other groups. So is there such thing called non-denominational?
I agree with Michael Collum.
Additionally in my observation:
- I couldn't get the self description "multi denominational" so this is my nearest self description
- some churches have brand names but claim to be "non" denominational, probably to give themselves more elbow room for affiliation out of the public eye and to dazzle newcomers about their flavour or nature o_O

Upvote 0

Jesusthekingofking

Jun 16, 2019
-
✟38,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's usually a post-reformation group stating that it doesn't like being labelled.

See the statement of purpose in this subforum for more details.
What's the motivation don't like to be label? The label is an identity in the era of reformation. It's has to do with which side we're standing at and what we believe.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree. It eventually becomes a denomination because they are under a 501C3.

Upvote 0

ChristServant

Aug 23, 2020
South
✟26,634.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I class myself as non denominational as the only connection I have is with the Body of Christ. To me it means I am not part of the tribes of Christians that are scattered her and there with silly views that are of no consequence to salvation or for honouring GOD. Quite the opposite in fact especially when one tribe sees themselves above another and causes fractures or separation in the Body of Christ.

I accept all Christians but will not necessarily agree on some matters of interpreting scripture. Based on my experiences with different church groups/organisations and their adherence to traditions of their particular church and it's teachings over the word of GOD and Christ's teachings, I will not join any of them but will fellowship and help any of them if needed, if asked and able.

Peace be to all those in the Body of Christ.

Upvote 0

Jesusthekingofking

Jun 16, 2019
-
✟38,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I class myself as non denominational as the only connection I have is with the Body of Christ. To me it means I am not part of the tribes of Christians that are scattered her and there with silly views that are of no consequence to salvation or for honouring GOD. Quite the opposite in fact especially when one tribe sees themselves above another and causes fractures or separation in the Body of Christ.

I accept all Christians but will not necessarily agree on some matters of interpreting scripture. Based on my experiences with different church groups/organisations and their adherence to traditions of their particular church and it's teachings over the word of GOD and Christ's teachings, I will not join any of them but will fellowship and help any of them if needed, if asked and able.

Are you ok to attend an anglican church or methodist church? Again you can't be homeless be a solo guy.

Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Left the pack, joined the flock.
Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I see non-denominationalism as not subscribing to any specific church doctrine, but instead choosing to make mosaics out of them. I've been to churches where their greatest commandment seems more, "My way or the highway," and less Matthew 22:34-40. I see faults in both Roman Catholicism and Protestantism. I know very little about Orthodox Christianity, so I cannot make very many honest judgments about them until I know more. To me, a church is a church until they give me enough reason to leave, as some have. God cannot be put into a box, and the Pharisee spirit says, "The rules are the rules, and not even God Himself can break them." How did that end for the Pharisees, especially in 70 AD ((Luke 21:5-6, Mark 13:1-2, Matt. 24:1-2) (John 16:1-4, Luke 23:34, Matt 27:22-26, 28:11-15)[1])?
  1. The Jews crucifying the Lord Jesus Christ knew what they were doing, just not the ramifications of it.

Upvote 0

Jesusthekingofking

Jun 16, 2019
-
✟38,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I see non-denominationalism as not subscribing to any specific church doctrine, but instead choosing to make mosaics out of them. I've been to churches where their greatest commandment seems more, "My way or the highway," and less Matthew 22:34-40. I see faults in both Roman Catholicism and Protestantism. I know very little about Orthodox Christianity, so I cannot make very many honest judgments about them until I know more. To me, a church is a church until they give me enough reason to leave, as some have. God cannot be put into a box, and the Pharisee spirit says, "The rules are the rules, and not even God Himself can break them." How did that end for the Pharisees, especially in 70 AD ((Luke 21:5-6, Mark 13:1-2, Matt. 24:1-2) (John 16:1-4, Luke 23:34, Matt 27:22-26, 28:11-15)[1])?
  1. The Jews crucifying the Lord Jesus Christ knew what they were doing, just not the ramifications of it.
Jesus is the Son of God. That's a doctrine. A church have their doctrine base on the bible.doctrine is simply teaching.

• Agree
Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0

ChristServant

Aug 23, 2020
South
✟26,634.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are you ok to attend an anglican church or methodist church? Again you can't be homeless be a solo guy.

I will attend any Church and fellowship with Christians but many don't want you there unless you adhere to what-ever they say to you and scripture doesn't teach that.

It is a lonely path, like being an orphan amongst your own people at times when doctrinal churches will not fellowship with others in the Body of Christ but that is where we are today. At this time I am seeing many waking up to the realisation of churches following progressiveness and traditions instead of following GOD's word which I am glad they are doing.

Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling and seek the Kingdom of GOD and HIS righteousness. These things are being forgotten. People are actually letting others work out their salvation for them and not accepting the Holy Spirit, all I see is a reflection of what the ancient Jews in Christ's time were doing and many even to this day.
Churches are forsaking GOD and HIS word and clinging to the world and it's views.

My view will never change, there is only one church and that is the Body of Christ and the sooner Christians realise this the better for all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rene Loup

Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus is the Son of God. That's a doctrine. A church have their doctrine base on the bible.doctrine is simply teaching.

Correct. Each church has their own, for better and for worse. I used to follow Pre-Tribulation Rapture theology until I heard the other side of the argument. Actually reading Scripture validated its criticism (2 Tim. 3:15-17). Before then, I listened only to what the preacher said to appease my own itching ears (2 Tim. 4:1-8). There are churches that will not tolerate differing opinions, and even resort to underhanded tactics to undermine anyone seen as heretical, just as the Pharisees did to their long awaited Messiah (John 15:18-25, 16:1-4, Matt. 10:24-25). Just be careful of these churches and rely on Biblical analysis, discussion, and debate to find truth. Progress never came from echo chambers (1 John 4:1-6, Luke 16:1-15, 1 Pet. 3:15-17, 1 Thess. 5:16-22, 2 Tim. 3:15-17).

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
What's the motivation don't like to be label? The label is an identity in the era of reformation. It's has to do with which side we're standing at and what we believe.
So, doesn't not having a label give freedom to change stances they once believed as incorrect?

Once you say you are of one group or another in the name of your church, there's this expectation to take on the attitudes of that brand name, even if you've outgrown certain elements of it as a congregation.

Having no label has benefits.

Upvote 0

Jesusthekingofking

Jun 16, 2019
-
✟38,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I will attend any Church and fellowship with Christians but many don't want you there unless you adhere to what-ever they say to you and scripture doesn't teach that.

It is a lonely path, like being an orphan amongst your own people at times when doctrinal churches will not fellowship with others in the Body of Christ but that is where we are today. At this time I am seeing many waking up to the realisation of churches following progressiveness and traditions instead of following GOD's word which I am glad they are doing.

Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling and seek the Kingdom of GOD and HIS righteousness. These things are being forgotten. People are actually letting others work out their salvation for them and not accepting the Holy Spirit, all I see is a reflection of what the ancient Jews in Christ's time were doing and many even to this day.
Churches are forsaking GOD and HIS word and clinging to the world and it's views.

My view will never change, there is only one church and that is the Body of Christ and the sooner Christians realise this the better for all.

Your view is too negative, there are plenty of churches that teach the word of God every week. If you're a solo Christian who aren't in a community how can you practice what's taught in the bible? How can you love other practically?

• Agree
Reactions: Enilorac
Upvote 0

Jesusthekingofking

Jun 16, 2019
-
✟38,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, doesn't not having a label give freedom to change stances they once believed as incorrect?

Once you say you are of one group or another in the name of your church, there's this expectation to take on the attitudes of that brand name, even if you've outgrown certain elements of it as a congregation.

Having no label has benefits.
Can vice versa. It's like the matter of creed. Creed is for protecting the church from teaching errors. Label is tie to a set of doctrine, not to limit you.

Upvote 0

Jesusthekingofking

Jun 16, 2019
-
✟38,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Correct. Each church has their own, for better and for worse. I used to follow Pre-Tribulation Rapture theology until I heard the other side of the argument. Actually reading Scripture validated its criticism (2 Tim. 3:15-17). Before then, I listened only to what the preacher said to appease my own itching ears (2 Tim. 4:1-8). There are churches that will not tolerate differing opinions, and even resort to underhanded tactics to undermine anyone seen as heretical, just as the Pharisees did to their long awaited Messiah (John 15:18-25, 16:1-4, Matt. 10:24-25). Just be careful of these churches and rely on Biblical analysis, discussion, and debate to find truth. Progress never came from echo chambers (1 John 4:1-6, Luke 16:1-15, 1 Pet. 3:15-17, 1 Thess. 5:16-22, 2 Tim. 3:15-17).
So if there's one denomination who got it right, diligently analyse what's the teaching of the apostles, study in depth but not agreeing the rest, you'll say his method or wrong and it's Pharisees alike?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rene Loup

Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So if there's one denomination who got it right, diligently analyse what's the teaching of the apostles, study in depth but not agreeing the rest, you'll say his method or wrong and it's Pharisees alike?

I don't quite understand your question. If I understand correctly, I don't believe any single denomination has it 100% right. I just avoid churches discouraging or even outright banning any view points contradicting their own. That to me is an echo chamber, not a place for Biblical discussion. Being tolerant of something doesn't mean you have to approve of it.

Upvote 0

Jesusthekingofking

Jun 16, 2019
-
✟38,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't quite understand your question. If I understand correctly, I don't believe any single denomination has it 100% right. I just avoid churches discouraging or even outright banning any view points contradicting their own. That to me is an echo chamber, not a place for Biblical discussion. Being tolerant of something doesn't mean you have to approve of it.
So you've studied in depth the believe and teaching on every denomination on earth? Since the truth isn't subjective, you have to kinda choose one denomination which taught the 'closest' truth, otherwise you might as well said Christianity isn't entirely true and you accept buddisms

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Non-denominational simply means not being attached to a denomination. I've attended Non-denominational, Baptist, Pentacostal, Methodist, Lutheran etc churches. As long as the church offers sound Biblical teaching, that works for me.

Upvote 0

Jesusthekingofking

Jun 16, 2019
-
✟38,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Non-denominational simply means not being attached to a denomination. I've attended Non-denominational, Baptist, Pentacostal, Methodist, Lutheran etc churches. As long as the church offers sound Biblical teaching, that works for me.
There's no such thing as non denominational, you need to get the definition right.

When 2 non denominational church started, they are a denomination to each other.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There's no such thing as non denominational, you need to get the definition right.

When 2 non denominational church started, they are a denomination to each other.

non·de·nom·i·na·tion·al
/ˌnändəˌnäməˈnāSHənəl/

adjective
  1. open or acceptable to people of any Christian denomination.

Upvote 0