Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If the Holy Spirit convicts you of something, do you modify it? Would that be considered lying against the Holy Spirit?
Sounds like that is not being convicted, to me.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If the Holy Spirit convicts you of something, do you modify it? Would that be considered lying against the Holy Spirit?
Only if disobedience itself is a lie. Remember, the word lie (lying) is an INTENT to deceive. If I unknowingly tell you a falsehood, I am wrong but not lying. But if I tell the falsehood with knowledge that it is false AND there is intent to deceive, that is a lie.

Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Theologian [Applied Theology]
Jul 1, 2015
Whippingham, Isle of Wight, England
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Sounds like contempt of G_d. It was very prevelant in Jesus' time and before. A lot of people died because of it: Moses, A'aron, a whole generation of people, David, Uzziah. Isaiah spoke of it, so did Ezekiel, the list is endless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1am3laine

Oct 9, 2017
Detroit
Visit site
✟68,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Lying against the Holy Spirit is intentionally lying to HIM. (Acts 5:1-10)
You can literally die lying against the Holy Spirit and it might be blasphemy which is the unpardonable sin. (matthew 12:31-32, mark 3:28-30, luke 12:8-10, Revelation 2:9)

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married

It sounds like you're referencing a Bible verse, can you please quote it or tell us which ?

Is it Acts 5:3 ?

If so here is my answer:

The real sin of Ananias and Sephora is financial fraud.

Having a faulty theology (not being taught that God is omniscient) is not a sin per se, it is just ignorance.

If they lied without intent to commit financial fraud, it would be clear(er) (to the reader) they thought they were dealing with something akin to a low-level spirit being, and such a being is inherently not worthy of much worship anyway.

As in the story of Simon Magus, this is also showing a contrast between the truly omnipotent, omniscient God of the apostles and the low-level "God of the magicians" as conceived by others (Simon, Ananias, Sephora) which is more like the Baron Samedi of the voodoo religion, a low-level spirit that can be tricked.

However if they merely lied about, say, what their favorite color is, they wouldn't have died. It was the financial fraud that was punished.

Now, if they had a concept of a truly omnipotent, omniscient God who is aware of all your thoughts, or a God who even predestines/causes you to have your thoughts, it wouldn't occur to them to lie to God about even a trivial issue like what their favorite color is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Only if disobedience itself is a lie. Remember, the word lie (lying) is an INTENT to deceive. If I unknowingly tell you a falsehood, I am wrong but not lying. But if I tell the falsehood with knowledge that it is false AND there is intent to deceive, that is a lie.
But that is not what I asked. Let's say you are convicted to go up to someone and tell them something important. You are worried about the repercussions. So you modify it.

Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But that is not what I asked. Let's say you are convicted to go up to someone and tell them something important. You are worried about the repercussions. So you modify it.
But you're assuming you are 100% certain that the soft still voice that promoted you really was God and not you. Doubt is human, and God knows we are full of it (doubt :) ). I would think there is a difference between what you are suggesting and modifying what we KNOW is God... His word. That certainly crosses a line and He has a commandment against such things. (Deut. 4:2 for example)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Heber Book List

Theologian [Applied Theology]
Jul 1, 2015
Whippingham, Isle of Wight, England
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Moses changing what G_d said to do about water from the rock. David sending his men out to count the troops. They died because they disobeyed G_d by changing what he said.

It is contempt of G_d, just as if G_d told someone to give an individual a message and they change what is said; or if G_d gives you are particular sermon to deliver and you change it. If G_d speaks to us and we do not do it, or say it, then it is contempt of G_d.

Incidentally, why is the question couched in terms of the HS, and not G_d himself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JohnC2

Aug 21, 2014
✟22,503.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

So the God is quite clear on this. If God speaks specifically pertaining to someone else - and you tell them something different.... You are now personally responsible for their guilt.

Ref: Ezekiel 3:17-21

The other thing that ties directly into this is discernment... Was this really a Word from The Lord or was it a thought or impression? If you are not sure this is actual prophetic revelation - then handle it as advise treated with sufficient discretion.....

• Winner
Reactions: AbbaLove
Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
If the so-called "modification" is actually a "lie" wouldn't the Holy Spirit convict a born again Believer of such before the Believer modifies/edits the Words of Knowledge, thinking (logically) that it would be more receptive to the recipient ?
IF Yeshua, and the Apostles including Paul were worried about repercussions where would all of us be now if they had made modifications to the LORD's instructions ?

Remember that the Holy Spirit as Comforter/Counselor is more tactful/sensitive than most of us when it comes to sharing "Words of Knowledge" or "Prophetic utterance" to another. That said, sometimes circumstances are such that Tuff Love is the better medicine, even if at first its not all that palatable by the recipient. Aren't "Words of Knowledge" meant to encourage and a "Prophetic utterance" an exhortation of encouragement.

Exhortation is defined as the act or process of making a strong urging or appeal. An example of an exhortation is an emotional directive that inspires people to act.​

Why would a Believer want to deliver (modify/edit) an exhortation from the LORD, so that it is more palatable to the recipient ? ... Philippians 4:6-8

Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Numbers 23:11-13 ... Then Balak said to Balaam, “What have you done to me? I brought you to curse my enemies, but here you have blessed them instead!” Balaam answered, “Must I not be obedient and careful to speak what the Lord has put in my mouth?” Balak said to him, “Come with me, I implore you, to another place from where you can see them, although you will see only the nearest and not all of them; and curse them for me from there.”

Numbers 24:13 ... If Balak gave to me the fullness of his house full of silver and gold, I am not able to go beyond the command of Yahweh to do good or evil, from my heart; what Yahweh speaks, I will speak it?

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
If the so-called "modification" is actually a "lie" wouldn't the Holy Spirit convict a born again Believer of such before the Believer modifies/edits the Words of Knowledge, thinking (logically) that it would be more receptive to the recipient ?
IF Yeshua, and the Apostles including Paul were worried about repercussions where would all of us be now if they had made modifications to the LORD's instructions ?

Remember that the Holy Spirit as Comforter/Counselor is more tactful/sensitive than most of us when it comes to sharing "Words of Knowledge" or "Prophetic utterance" to another. That said, sometimes circumstances are such that Tuff Love is the better medicine, even if at first its not all that palatable by the recipient. Aren't "Words of Knowledge" meant to encourage and a "Prophetic utterance" an exhortation of encouragement.

Exhortation is defined as the act or process of making a strong urging or appeal. An example of an exhortation is an emotional directive that inspires people to act.​

Why would a Believer want to deliver (modify/edit) an exhortation from the LORD, so that it is more palatable to the recipient ? ... Philippians 4:6-8
I was think more in the delivery of message... done in quietness rather than in strength .. timid rather than bold. Gentle rather than forceful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JohnC2

Aug 21, 2014
✟22,503.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was think more in the delivery of message... done in quietness rather than in strength .. timid rather than bold. Gentle rather than forceful.

This is the place of discretion and discernment for what approach will achieve the intended goal.

Some people do not respond to quiet gentle correction and only respond when you drop the hammer on them.... and vice verse....

• Agree
Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I was think[ing] more in the delivery [modify] of message... done in quietness rather than in strength .. timid rather than bold. Gentle rather than forceful.
Why would you consider that kind of "modifiy" (timid rather than bold or gentle rather than forceful) to be a "lie" ? So as long as the wording of the message hasn't been modified with only the tone being modified why would you consider that to be a "lie" ?

Is it not possible for the Spirit's witness to be both bold and gentle? His Spirit gives a born again Believer a certain boldness when previously a person's human nature may have been more timid/shy. There's a difference between being humanly timid/shy, and His Spirit being both bold and yet gentle as the message is being delivered .
Some people do not respond to quiet gentle correction and only respond when you drop the hammer on them.... and vice verse....
So true! His Spirit will give the born again Believer a sense for the kind of delivery. So, assuming this is visionary's query would you consider it a "lie" to be "timid when called to be bold" or "gentle when called to be forceful" ?

Let's assume for the sake of visionary's post that the Spirit's witness to a new born again Believer called for a delivery with forceful boldness, but instead the delivery was a timid (modify) delivery. How does that scenario possibly make it a lie?​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Did the message have an impact on the recipient?
Maybe you meant to say, "Did the Words of Knowledge or Prophetic message have a favorable impact on the recipient?"

If the tone of the message was "modified" to lessen possible "repercussions" the end result might be less than desirable. Was the message (with possible repercussions) delivered with a timid shyness (to lessen possible repercussions) instead of a gentle boldness? If so the recipient might even interpret the timid message as a "lie" coming from a Believer that doesn't come across as very convincing.

Then the repercussions could cause even more harm than encourage a favorable outcome. Perhaps the tone of the message was meant to be delivered with a gentle boldness of exhortation.

Upvote 0

chunkofcoal

Messianic Christian
Sep 30, 2004
✟83,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe you meant to say, "Did the Words of Knowledge or Prophetic message have a favorable impact on the recipient?"

If the tone of the message was "modified" to lessen possible "repercussions" the end result might be less than desirable. Was the message (with possible repercussions) delivered with a timid shyness (to lessen possible repercussions) instead of a gentle boldness? If so the recipient might even interpret the timid message as a "lie" coming from a Believer that doesn't come across as very convincing.

Then the repercussions could cause even more harm than encourage a favorable outcome. Perhaps the tone of the message was meant to be delivered with a gentle boldness of exhortation.
There have been a lot of "Words of knowledge" and "prophetic" messages that didn't, and weren't meant to, have a "favorable impact" on the recipient.
And "repercussions" - meaning repercussions for the recipient of the message, or repercussions for the messenger - meaning the recipient might get angry or something?
Maybe Visionary will clarify what she means.

• Agree
Upvote 0