Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Interesting that that matters more to you than the killing of all the other people of all ages: infants, pregnant women and all presumably.
Oh, now you're gonna tell me who was killed?

After I asked you twice?

Well ... you (conveniently?) left some important individuals out, didn't you?

Upvote 0

Mr Strawberry

Jan 20, 2012
Great Britain
✟12,542.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Oh, now you're gonna tell me who was killed?

After I asked you twice?

Well ... you (conveniently?) left some important individuals out, didn't you?
I told you, they were all human beings. Of all ages, including those in the womb - as you like to mention them. If you want to qualify that in some way to try and justify mass murder then be my guest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Dec 15, 2005
London UK
✟8,831.00
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Love can be anything from something we find pleasing, to a deep and abiding sacrificial caring for another
I have long and often answered the question "Do you love me?" with "Probably, but what do you mean by "love"? I wouldn't want to say "Yes" if the definition adopted by the one asking led me to mislead someone. (Yes, I'm such a romantic!).

The answer to that has always been "Oh, you know what I mean!" To some extent, I do, but I think this definition by Razzelflabben is the best succinct work in progress that I have come across.

Now, I can say "Yes" to a bacon sandwich and to my wife, they being at opposite ends of that definition.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, as jesus was god in human form and god is apparently omniscient he would have had it all planned from the word go, so that would make it a bit of a pantomime. A rather unpleasant one, but there we are.
yes and no...basically, the need for blood sacrifice was the very nature of the thing. You see, God is said to be so holy that He cannot be around sin, so the consequence of sin is death (death meaning separation from God, we can talk about physical death but as I said, that really is kind of off topic, thus violation of forum rules) Many people are taught that death is the punishment for sin, yet Gen. tells us that pain in childbirth and weeds were man's punishment for sin, death is the consequence of sin.

So, let's put some of this together, (man I wish I have more time to show you some of the things you are missing) Since death is the consequence of sin and God knew that from the get go, and since He knew that man would fail, He is responsible for that sin and death, which is exactly why He sent His Son as an atonement. It would be like me knowing that my kids would get hurt if they ran out into the street, so I put up a fence to stop them. They can still climb the fence and run out into the street, but I have taken precautions to prevent that from happening. Likewise, God knew that sin would make things bad for man, so He put up a protective barrier against our running out into the street. We can still refuse Christ (climb the fence) but He took measures to prevent it from happening.
You keep limiting your god's actions to those of a human being who is neither omniscient nor omnipotent. You have to keep in mind that a super being like your god knows all before he even started on the project. The night before day 1 he'd know the whole thing inside out. But this is how he decided things were going to be done. Think about that.
I'm not limiting Him in that way at all, you may try to make it sound like I am, but look at the above, I readily and eagerly testified to His knowing what would happen, thus your trying to claim otherwise is just more misrepresentations.
Then of course, after taking that into account, we have the small question of: How exactly does god in human form going through a fake suicide allow him to forgive sins? How does that work exactly?
First let's address your claim of "fake suicide" there was nothing fake about His death, nor was there anything suicidal about it. He was killed, He willingly allowed it to happen, but He didn't kill Himself, nor was His death a fake death.

How does it work...well, as we see in Gen. the consequence of sin is death, that means that blood has to be shed for life to happen. In the OT, God allowed that blood to be that of an animal, but the problem with animal sacrifices was that they were incomplete, not lasting, it required a perfect (without sin) human sacrifice to be complete and lasting. Someone to take our place. IOW's let's say that I committed a crime and would be executed for that crime. My dog steps in and tries to take my place, but everyone knows that the dog does not have the authority to pardon my sentence, that requires a person of authority. Jesus is that person of authority, an authority that an animal could not have.
Is this some sort of weird default reaction you've all been told to respond with when people tell you that your god isn't much cop? I'm not annoyed at the actions of the fictional character in your favourite book, I'm just appalled at what you think is justifiable from a supposedly loving god.
like I said, perspective and reason are important to understanding. As is revelation...but that is as I said before a different topic, a different discussion.
Right. So you're not looking for justifications of love for the killings carried out and ordered by your god in the old testament. Got it.
Not at all...why would I? Why would I seek to justify anything when I want to know pure and simple truth? Why do people who voice the same attitude as you do, assume that everyone who found a different answer than you did must be trying to justify things so that they can convince themselves to believe? A quest to know and understand, cannot by the very nature of the thing, justify or make excuses. that is why I told you that just because we understand God's perspective and reason, doesn't mean we have to accept it as good or just. Those things are NOT the same thing at all. I am currently writing a murder mystery. I am going into a great lot of detail talking about the murderers mental state, her reason for killing, what is driving her. The purpose of this is NOT to convince the reader that she was justified, but rather to allow the reader to identify with a part of her that is part of our own beings. IOW's, we begin to understand what drives her is the same things that are within us. Likewise, when we understand God's perspective and reason, we begin to see that we have those same reasons within us. Whether or not we think it is justified is a very different matter. You would be wise to not confuse the two.
Wrong. Basic human morality comes from us being a social animal that lives in extended co-operative groups.
so you say, the bottom line is that there is no evidence to tell us where it comes from. But the origin was not the point of my comment. The point of the comment was to show that even scripture talks about man having an understanding of right and wrong...but then again, your posts suggest you are on an agenda that will cloud your understanding of anything being said, so I'll just clarify and move on.
Yes, that's the story that is supposed to set up god's big show in the new testament. There are so many problems with it one hardly knows where to begin. How about with your god being omniscient and knowing the whole script before he even started?
well, like I said, this is off topic but I would be more than happy to talk with you in PM or on an appropriate thread. Secondly, I already said that God knew what was going to happen from the start and took responsibility for it.

One of the things you don't seem to understand from the posts you are making here, is that much of how we process things is our perspective of the thing. For example, your posts seem to suggest two options, 1. enlightenment in which one would have to agree with you, or 2. brainwashing in which one has been taught to believe God thus blindly goes along with everything they are told to believe. The truth is that there are many more options available. For example, my husband and I believe and follow because we have seen the power of the living God revealed in our lives. Our pastor believes because he saw that same power revealed in others lives. Our daughter believes because she needed some clarity and found it in Christ. A young friend I was talking to yesterday believes because he was at a crossroads and needed some answers and found them in Christ. I know of people who were seeking for truth, nothing more or less, just truth and found it in Christ. Etc. etc. etc. There are tons of reasons and evidences people have for believing, it isn't just a matter of enlightenment and brainwashing. People with critical thinking and skepticism also believe. I personally came to Christ because I needed a greater power than the ones I was able to find on this earth, when I began to study, I needed to know who that power was from and how good or evil that being was. It's kind of like an expanded version of the glass half full or half empty thing. Depending on how we view the evidence (in this case biblical) depends on what the conclusion will be. One of the few wise things my mother said was that in a family of 6 people, all viewing the same even, you will have 6 different stories as to what happened. Likewise, you view God as evil, therefore everything that you hear, read, etc. about God will be through evil colored glasses. Today I will view God through Love colored glasses (that was not always so). The key to knowing truth, is to do what I did many many years ago, take off all the glasses, every color which man could see through and there, just look and see what you discover. IOW's stop trying to make God good or bad or whatever we want to make Him to be and instead, discover who He is. Repeatedly, I tell even those in the church, stop believing in the God to want Him to be, the God you have been taught He is and start discovering the God that He really is. That same truth applies here, stop trying to see Him through the glasses you have chosen and start looking for who He really is. Oh well, I'm guessing from your posts, this will fall on deaf ears and you will just make more accusations against me and what I have said, non sense like 'I think you have to believe like I do or you aren't seeing the real God' or 'of course you are the one who is seeing the real God' or some other non sense, but is it said anyway and there is more truth to this paragraph than most will ever grasp.
Jesus was god in human form. Correct?
that is what scripture tells us.
Yep, got it. As I said, I thought you were trying to find evidence of love in the killings that god was responsibly for in the old testament. How wrong I was.
interesting enough, my current study on Love is how suffering can be a demonstration of Love. It's actually quite fascinating. The most obvious is that of a parent correcting a child, but there is so so much more to it from a biblical perspective. In fact, if I had to summarize everything I have found so far, (which is very difficult cause there is so much) it would be to say that God brings good out of suffering. The unfortunate reality for people like you who's posts show that you don't buy this, is that I have seen it happen time and time and time and time again. Whether it was God or some other force (something for us to talk about and test) good comes from all kinds of ashes so to speak.

But back to the OT killings...like I repeatedly have told you, God's perspective and reason are important to an understanding of the events. Without that knowledge all you can say is you would have done it differently and that doesn't mean anything because you weren't there. Understanding God's perspective and reason does not mean you have to agree or acknowledge wisdom in it, all it means is that you are beginning to see things through the eyes of the one who was there and did the things you don't like.
Er....so I wasn't wrong after all. You said it yourself. "..the killing of the OT are understandably love if we look at the perspective..." So you are in fact justifying millions of killings as "understandably love". You know, I don't think it's really necessary for me to do anything more than sit back and let you say it.
wow...how many times can I correct you before you allow your posts to reflect what I am saying? From God's perspective, His actions were not only justifiable but loving. We don't have to agree in order to fathom that, in fact a simple everyday analogy testifies that this can and is true. Take the example previously given of the father who kills the child molester. His perspective is one of Love and justice. The mother of the molester might not see the love in her son being killed. Different perspectives. You will probably side with which ever one you most closely identify with. Understanding a perspective is not permitting, agreeing, or otherwise affirming anything, all it does is show the perspective of the one who is being judged. You really need to get past this misrepresentation of everything I say if you want to have any kind of meaningful dialog here with me. Otherwise it's just flamming and that won't get us anywhere except hurt and anger.
This isn't a human father defending his daughter, this is an omniscient, omnipotent super being who can do anything he likes and knows the whole story before he even started on the project. Sorry, but if murder and genocide are the only solutions this omnipotent, omniscient super being can come up with what does that say about him to you? Have a think about that.
I've thought about it a lot, how about you? How much thought have you put into His perspective? Remember, this omniscient, omnipotent God is also eternal and knows that man's spirit (His perspective remember, doesn't matter if you believe that the spirit of man is eternal or not) is also eternal. This understanding puts a whole new spin on the question of could God have done something different. This perspective brings into the question a whole new dimension. Add to this, that the children of Israel were viewed by God as His children. Thus, what you have is an all knowing Father who knows that His children will be lost to Him forever if He doesn't step in and stop the abductor from molesting and killing His children. But, you think this makes Him wrong somehow, which is one of many reasons you and I are not going to agree. I happen to think that a father is justified to prevent his children from being molested and killed, you do not think God is justified to do so. Does that make God right, no, what makes Him right in my eyes is that He has never failed to demonstrate His Love and wisdom to me and so I chose (notice the word chose) to accept that He was justified to be the protective Father He tells us He was being. If God had failed to demonstrate His Love and wisdom to me, I might very well chose to think as you do, that it was an unjustified act, but either choice does not change His perspective. Either choice allows us to understand how an all knowing, all powerful, eternal God might do what He did, given what He knew would come if He didn't.
Let's get this straight shall we. God sends himself to earth in human form in order to quite deliberately get himself tortured to death in order to allow him to do some forgiving for a lot of sins that were the result of a scene he set up himself in the first place and knew the outcome of, being omniscient, and which apparently he couldn't forgive any other way because his omnipotence has some major flaw somewhere, although he is actually supposed to be omnipotent. Oh, and he doesn't actually die either, because he's up and about and displaying himself hither and thither in no time at all before zooming up to heaven for the big party where all the forgiving then take place.
do you have any idea how much this paragraph sounds angry, hostile, and venomous? If you talked this way about anyone else on this board, you would be violating so many forum rules it isn't funny and yet, you feel justified to say these things about God and get upset if someone calls you on it. As I said, you are only telling the part of the story that you want to be angry about, you leave out all the rest of the story, the parts that you have a much harder time twisting into something evil. Kind of like how you continue to reinvent what I say and twist it until it is barely recognizable and then try to call it truth.

But what I am going to focus on here is 1. why you keep insisting on trying to take this off topic? I have offered to talk to you in depth in another format, one that would be on topic. instead of taking me up on it, you keep trying to take us off topic. I already gave you a few of the things you were missing and you don't even acknowledge them in yet another of your rants. and 2. How Christ's suffering and death is an act of Love. Here are a few of the ways we know it is Love. 1. humility...not only did Christ come and suffer and die, not only did He do so willingly, not only was it a demonstration of responsibility, but He left His authority, His home, His throne, His Father, His beauty, His comforts, His position, His acceptance, etc. to come to show man that where they violated the law, grace still abounds. 2. In giving up all of that to show man the right way, think here about a child who disobeys but the parent lovingly trys to guide them back to the right answer....He endured all kinds of abuses. 3. He showed us the patience and kindness (these are specified as such in scripture even though the whole of I Cor. 13 can be seen in scripture) of Love in His life, so not only did He give the greatest sacrifice, He also demonstrated the characteristics of I Cor. 13 Love. and 4. let's talk about His death. His death was as real as our son who died 5 years ago, or my father who is in the process of dieing even today. His death was as real as mine will be someday, as my grandparents who have already died, as Paul who died long ago. The difference is that His resurrection was public and bold, so that we would have hope in the life we can't see. Same death, and eventually the same resurrection every true believer will have and a form of the resurrection every non believer will experience. To show the way, that is be a guide, is very much an act of Love.

We could go on, in fact, we can take I Cor. 13 and show throughout the life of Christ where each of these characteristics existed...shall we make a post long enough to do such?
Question:

Why can't this omnipotent god - omnipotent means he can do everything and anything remember - just do the forgiving without the pretending to have himself killed bit? Remember - crucial this - you are not talking about a human being defending his daughter, you are talking about an omnipotent, omniscient super being. Hang onto that thought while you think about it.
I have already told you this, why ask again? There are two huge things you are missing in your question, it is obvious you are missing them if you keep asking the same question over and over, because the answer whether you accept it or not has been given and is logical 1. death is the consequence of sin, iow's it is God's nature, not His decision that brings death as the result of sin. Your question only holds water if death is the punishment not the consequence of sin. and 2. You fail to understand what omnipotent really means in light of scripture. IOW's you are calling God omnipotent, I am calling God the omnipotent of scripture. The difference being that God in His wisdom, gave some of His authority to man. He gave man the right to chose for himself. As such, His omnipotence does not include demanding anything from man. He can, but He choses not to, He choses to allow man to make his own choice and in that discover what real Love is. You see, Love that is Biblical Love is a choice. If God forced man to choose Him, then there could be no Love and that would leave man empty and unfulfilled. The only way for Love to exist at all, is if God gives man choice.

When you apply these two truths to your question, the question vanishes into disrepair unless of course you reinvent God into the god you want Him to be.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not an omniscient, omnipotent super being. Are you genuinely telling me that if you were an omniscient and omnipotent super being (think about what that means) you couldn't come up with a better solution than one that involves killing babies?
see my previous post where I point out to you a couple of things you are missing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mr Strawberry

Jan 20, 2012
Great Britain
✟12,542.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
see my previous post where I point out to you a couple of things you are missing.

You wrote an enormous post, but didn't address a single point I made. I don't think you understand why I keep mentioning omniscience and omnipotence or why it matters. Or what the implications are. All this father and children stuff you lot keep spouting (do you get a lot of that from the pulpit or something? It's a weirdly common and utterly inappropriate analogy) is irrelevant because your god is not a human being. Not even close. You are not justifying the actions of a human. You are justifying the actions, laid out plainly in the old testament that run to millions of deaths, many of them children, babies and the unborn, of an omnipotent, omniscient superbeing. But your omnipotent, omniscient superbeing can apparently do no better than the local village idiot with his shotgun. I mean, really? Really? That's the best he can do? Murder? Genocide? I mean, blimey, at least the village idiot wasn't responsible for the whole scene in the first place. But this is what you are doing to your god by making such arguments. You are making him sound even worse than the bible does, which is near impossible, but there you are. Then to top it all you try and make out he is a loving god. I mean, it beggars belief. The omniscient, omnipotent god who has a body count estimated somewhere between 20 and 30 million in the old testament, all of whom he apparently killed "understandably for love". It's beyond a joke. There are no excuses. However you try and spin it, it doesn't work because the fictional character you are trying to make excuses for is not a human being. Repeat, not a human being. Concentrate: omniscient, omnipotent. Those adjectives are important because they mean he can do anything. Anything. And he chooses killing and genocide. And he knows everything before it even happens. So he knows he will be doing the killing before he even creates the universe that will contain the millions and millions of people he is going to kill, or order to be killed. The implications of all this for the actions of your favourite fictional character are that they are impossible to justify. What your old testament describes is not a loving god, but an all powerful psychopath.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You wrote an enormous post, but didn't address a single point I made. I don't think you understand why I keep mentioning omniscience and omnipotence or why it matters. Or what the implications are. All this father and children stuff you lot keep spouting (do you get a lot of that from the pulpit or something? It's a weirdly common and utterly inappropriate analogy) is irrelevant because your god is not a human being. Not even close. You are not judging a human. You are judging the actions, laid out plainly in the old testament that run to millions of deaths, many of them children, babies and the unborn, of an omnipotent, omniscient superbeing. But your omnipotent, omniscient superbeing can apparently do no better than the local village idiot with his shotgun. I mean, really? Really? That's the best he can do? Murder? Genocide? I mean, blimey, at least the village idiot wasn't responsible for the whole scene in the first place. But this is what you are doing to your god by making such arguments. You are making him sound even worse than the bible does, which is near impossible, but there you are. Then to top it all you try and make out he is a loving god. I mean, it beggars belief. The omniscient, omnipotent god who has a body count estimated somewhere between 20 and 30 million in the old testament, all of whom he apparently killed "understandably for love". It's beyond a joke. There are no excuses. However you try and spin it, it doesn't work because the fictional character you are trying to make excuses for is not a human being. Repeat, not a human being. Concentrate: omniscient, omnipotent. Those adjectives are important because they mean he can do anything. Anything. And he chooses killing and genocide. And he knows everything before it even happens. So he knows he will be doing the killing before he even creates the universe that will contain the millions and millions of people he is going to kill, or order to be killed. The implications of all this for the actions of your favourite fictional character are that they are impossible to justify. What your old testament describes is not a loving god, but an all powerful psychopath.
wow and you accuse me of not addressing a single point you make. Would that be the pot calling the kettle black...no, because I did address your points and I will do so again since you missed them the first few times I pointed out to you that you are missing some vital information.

1. You are the one calling and defining omnipotent. As I pointed out to you, according to scripture God's omnipotence is limited by Him to that of Love or at least the possibility of Love. Remember in that "long post" in which you said I didn't address your points? Well in that I took time and care to point out to you that God's plan from the start included but was not limited to man being a creature of Love, that is getting and giving. In one post I even took time to point out studies that prove that man is in fact a creature designed (by evolution or design, doesn't matter) for Love. the very nature of Love is one of choice, therefore God's omnipotence is limited by His giving man choice so that man can be fulfilled by Love, which is man's design or nature.

Now, let's think this through, given the understanding of Love that you remove from your question. Okay, I know something bad is going to happen...let's say, I know that my child is going to steal a piece of cake I am saving for someone or something. I have knowledge of it, so I warn my child, don't eat the cake, I am saving it for X. I then put the cake up. Now, as a parent, I want my child to learn self control and expect him to do so, so I go about my business rather than stand over my child with a paddle and threaten them. They eat the cake and so they get punished.

Now, let's put that in terms of God and the mass killings you are all in arms about. God knew that the "foreigners", the "ungodly" would lead his children (Israel/believers) astray, lead them to their deaths, so what did He do, He stopped them the only way He could....Because He knew what would happen, He prevented His people from being led astray while still giving them choice that could fulfill their very nature, aka Love.

2. death...as I already pointed out, you are missing some things, one of those things is the need for choice, another is death. God's perspective (remember when I previously told you this?) is one of eternal. Your question leaves everything in the temporal, whereas God sees things in the eternal. IOW's different ways of seeing time. So, again, let's take your question. when we understand that an all seeing God saw that His children would be kidnapped and murdered, what choice could He make and still give the kidnappers choice? Not much...but we add another element, that of eternal understanding. Scripture tells us that this life is but a vapor. It vanishes that quickly. God's focus, His intent was long range protection, not short term. In order to understand God's perspective, you have to understand this about God.

Let's see, another issue you bring up, that of death...what is death? The physical death according to scripture is nothing more than your body returning to dust. This perspective is important. It isn't the physical death that is so harmful, but the spiritual one. As all knowing, God would know who would and who would not be saved and it is a common biblical understanding that those under the age of accountability go to eternal heaven. So basically, from God's perspective, you are upset because He insured that the innocent children would be in heaven without being taught by their parents to become evil and allowed his knowledge of who would never turn from their evil to be judged before their natural physical deaths. How can you possibly see saving children under age as being evil? Only if you refuse to see God's perspective would you see that as evil. Now, like I have said many times over, understanding a perspective does not equal agreeing with it, but your question testifies to your unwillingness to see from God's perspective, not from a perspective of understanding but disagreeing.

Now, I think that is all I have talked about so far on this matter, I am trying to limit it to the topic which is proving difficult since your posts seem bent on trying to prove God to not be a God of Love rather than to talk about Love as the OP asks us to do. That being said, your post now seems offended by comparing God to a parent, yet throughout scripture God compares Himself to a Father, even to our earthly fathers. In fact, one of the pictures of Love that the bible gives us is that of father or parent Love. The most famous of those ideas is that of correction being an act of Love but there are many more as well.

In fact, the first in depth study I did on Biblical Love, looked at all the ways God tells us He shows us Love. Just for clarity one of the ways God tells us He shows Love is not through murder, that is more about wrath, but does show Love....so anyway, those would include FAther, Savior, Friend, etc. there are 13 that we found. These are pictures or windows so to speak of ways God shows His love to us. Father is a big one, thus from the standpoint of the believers, since scripture uses that picture, the believer is not only justified to do so, but is right in line with the beliefs they hold to.

Here is my questions for you....given the above additions to the story (that is things you are forgetting to add in) why would an omnipotent God not be justified to kill? and why are you so offended by comparing God to a FAther?

Upvote 0

Mr Strawberry

Jan 20, 2012
Great Britain
✟12,542.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
wow and you accuse me of not addressing a single point you make. Would that be the pot calling the kettle black...no, because I did address your points and I will do so again since you missed them the first few times I pointed out to you that you are missing some vital information.

Alright.

1. You are the one calling and defining omnipotent. As I pointed out to you, according to scripture God's omnipotence is limited by Him to that of Love or at least the possibility of Love. Remember in that "long post" in which you said I didn't address your points? Well in that I took time and care to point out to you that God's plan from the start included but was not limited to man being a creature of Love, that is getting and giving. In one post I even took time to point out studies that prove that man is in fact a creature designed (by evolution or design, doesn't matter) for Love. the very nature of Love is one of choice, therefore God's omnipotence is limited by His giving man choice so that man can be fulfilled by Love, which is man's design or nature.

So your god isn't actually omnipotent in any real sense at all. Apart from starting the universe he can't do anything he wants. I'll ignore the designed for love bit you ramble off on because that's just drivel. But if your god is not in fact omnipotent then where do his limits lie? Is this why he has to order so many killings by other people? He can't actually do it himself?

Now, let's think this through, given the understanding of Love that you remove from your question. Okay, I know something bad is going to happen...let's say, I know that my child is going to steal a piece of cake I am saving for someone or something. I have knowledge of it, so I warn my child, don't eat the cake, I am saving it for X. I then put the cake up. Now, as a parent, I want my child to learn self control and expect him to do so, so I go about my business rather than stand over my child with a paddle and threaten them. They eat the cake and so they get punished.

There you go with the parent child analogies again. They don't work because your god is omniscient. A human isn't omniscient. When a human has a child it doesn't do so in the full knowledge of everything that child will do throughout its life and the knowledge that he, the parent, will kill it because he doesn't approve of something it does. That is the situation with your omniscient god. So please, for your own sake, stop with the parent child stuff, it's not an appropriate analogy.

Now, let's put that in terms of God and the mass killings you are all in arms about. God knew that the "foreigners", the "ungodly" would lead his children (Israel/believers) astray, lead them to their deaths, so what did He do, He stopped them the only way He could....Because He knew what would happen, He prevented His people from being led astray while still giving them choice that could fulfill their very nature, aka Love.

So god didn't create the foreigners? They were just, what, bit part players in the drama? Just disposable humans? Keep going...

2. death...as I already pointed out, you are missing some things, one of those things is the need for choice, another is death. God's perspective (remember when I previously told you this?) is one of eternal. Your question leaves everything in the temporal, whereas God sees things in the eternal. IOW's different ways of seeing time. So, again, let's take your question. when we understand that an all seeing God saw that His children would be kidnapped and murdered, what choice could He make and still give the kidnappers choice? Not much...but we add another element, that of eternal understanding. Scripture tells us that this life is but a vapor. It vanishes that quickly. God's focus, His intent was long range protection, not short term. In order to understand God's perspective, you have to understand this about God.

Ah, the ultimate excuse for god's mass murder. God isn't concerned with keeping people alive because he is thinking of eternity. What a lovely excuse for mass murder. God needs death. And I love the way that your god has NO CHOICE in this story. Lol, seriously? Oh, that's right, he's not impotent is he. He can't do anything he chooses. He has limits. Well, we haven't quite established what those limits are, but he's definitely not omnipotent now. Even though it says in the bible that he is.

Let's see, another issue you bring up, that of death...what is death? The physical death according to scripture is nothing more than your body returning to dust. This perspective is important. It isn't the physical death that is so harmful, but the spiritual one. As all knowing, God would know who would and who would not be saved and it is a common biblical understanding that those under the age of accountability go to eternal heaven. So basically, from God's perspective, you are upset because He insured that the innocent children would be in heaven without being taught by their parents to become evil and allowed his knowledge of who would never turn from their evil to be judged before their natural physical deaths. How can you possibly see saving children under age as being evil? Only if you refuse to see God's perspective would you see that as evil. Now, like I have said many times over, understanding a perspective does not equal agreeing with it, but your question testifies to your unwillingness to see from God's perspective, not from a perspective of understanding but disagreeing.

Ah yes, killing babies and unborn children is the ultimate act of love. What could a more tender parent do? You should really hear yourself. If you were told that zeus or thor or krishna killed half a million infants but it was actually the ultimate act of love, what would you say? Would you think the person telling you this was quite alright?

Now, I think that is all I have talked about so far on this matter, I am trying to limit it to the topic which is proving difficult since your posts seem bent on trying to prove God to not be a God of Love rather than to talk about Love as the OP asks us to do. That being said, your post now seems offended by comparing God to a parent, yet throughout scripture God compares Himself to a Father, even to our earthly fathers. In fact, one of the pictures of Love that the bible gives us is that of father or parent Love. The most famous of those ideas is that of correction being an act of Love but there are many more as well.

You can compare your god to a parent if you want, but I've told you, the analogy is really bad, and if you insist on doing it it just makes your god look a bigger so and so than he's already made out to be in the old testament.

In fact, the first in depth study I did on Biblical Love, looked at all the ways God tells us He shows us Love. Just for clarity one of the ways God tells us He shows Love is not through murder, that is more about wrath,

Woah, lol, you really just said that? Mass murder is not in fact your god showing love but actually because your omnipotent god has anger management issues. I see.

but does show Love....so anyway, those would include FAther, Savior, Friend, etc. there are 13 that we found.

But not through murder? That's just a bit of extra love on the side is it?

These are pictures or windows so to speak of ways God shows His love to us. Father is a big one, thus from the standpoint of the believers, since scripture uses that picture, the believer is not only justified to do so, but is right in line with the beliefs they hold to.

Some father.

Here is my questions for you....given the above additions to the story (that is things you are forgetting to add in) why would an omnipotent God not be justified to kill? and why are you so offended by comparing God to a FAther?

I've told you. If you want to compare your omnipotent, omniscient god to a limited human parent then go for it, but it just makes him look stupid. And really, really unpleasant.

And you want to know why would an omnipotent god "not be justified to kill?" Look, an omnipotent god can do anything he likes, including as much murder as takes his fancy. But a loving omnipotent god wouldn't need to kill anyone. That is so obvious that it's almost tragic that it needs to be spelled out. I'll say it again: A loving omnipotent god would not need to kill anyone at all. Now, digest that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Alright.

So your god isn't actually omnipotent in any real sense at all. Apart from starting the universe he can't do anything he wants. I'll ignore the designed for love bit you ramble off on because that's just drivel. But if your god is not in fact omnipotent then where do his limits lie? Is this why he has to order so many killings by other people? He can't actually do it himself?
why is it so hard for you to follow what I say. I know that different people have different styles of writing, but I also know that my communication still are pretty good. Yet it is as if you don't read anything I say, why is that?

God's powers are limited by what He chooses to limit them too...for example, He chooses to give man authority over his own destiny/belief/salvation. He has also chosen to limit His authority on earth, so that satan has dominion at the moment. Limited authority for a given purpose. Lots of the people in the church will not confess this to you, simply put, they don't understand it because they have never been taught and don't put the study in themselves. God limits His power for a specific purpose, it isn't that He is not absolute authority, but that as absolute authority, He knows the value of loving us with choice therefore limits Himself to giving us choice.
There you go with the parent child analogies again. They don't work because your god is omniscient. A human isn't omniscient. When a human has a child it doesn't do so in the full knowledge of everything that child will do throughout its life and the knowledge that he, the parent, will kill it because he doesn't approve of something it does. That is the situation with your omniscient god. So please, for your own sake, stop with the parent child stuff, it's not an appropriate analogy.
again, you are missing so many important things it's kind of scary that your posts would boast of things you don't understand. 1. In order to explain things to man in a way that we can understand, God Himself compares many of His actions to that of a Father. This is so that a human being can grasp an omni- God in terms they can understand. 2. When I had each of my children, I knew they would disobey, that they would try to defy me, that they would make bad decisions. Any parent that doesn't know that, shouldn't be a parent. Being a parent means knowing that the child will disobey but loving them anyway, and loving them through it. Likewise, God knew that we would disobey, but just like a good parent that knows the child will disobey, He Loves us through it and despite it. So you see, your analogy fails. Now God knows specifically what we each one will do, but the concept is no different. I knew before I get pregnant that any child we would have would eventually disobey, just like God knew we would disobey, but that didn't stop me from having children, because quite frankly, the joy outweighs the heartache, even in the death of the child we lost about 5 years ago. 3. God doesn't "kill" anyone He doesn't approve of or something He doesn't approve of them doing....that is your reinvention of God. First, I already pointed out to you that hell, which I assume is your point here, is the consequence of sin, not the punishment for. IOW's God doesn't send anyone to hell, they choose to go to hell. I know you will want to go off on this, but according to scripture, this is God's perspective and the perspective of every true believer. So, basically where you can disagree, it is not negotiable from the standpoint of the believer, so you would be trying to argue the point from a different God than the one we are talking about, which makes your argument not against God at all. 4. So please, if you want to talk about the God of the bible, deal with the idea of God being a Father, if not, accept you are talking to a believer about a different God but refusing to confess it, which is deceptive.
So god didn't create the foreigners? They were just, what, bit part players in the drama? Just disposable humans? Keep going...
what makes you think He didn't create the foreigner? Where do you even get all this false and partial understanding of God and what I am telling you? Seriously, I have no idea where you would get the idea that God didn't create foreigners from what I said....I'm totally dumbfounded by how you are reading that post. Usually I at least have a clue where people misread what I say, but you totally stumped me here.
Ah, the ultimate excuse for god's mass murder. God isn't concerned with keeping people alive because he is thinking of eternity. What a lovely excuse for mass murder. God needs death. And I love the way that your god has NO CHOICE in this story. Lol, seriously? Oh, that's right, he's not impotent is he. He can't do anything he chooses. He has limits. Well, we haven't quite established what those limits are, but he's definitely not omnipotent now. Even though it says in the bible that he is.
okay, let' start out by correcting you for the umpteenth time on this matter. 1. No one is excusing or justifying God at all....what I am doing is showing you His perspective. Until you grasp His perspective you have no right to judge anything...well you don't really have the right to judge history anyway much less God but that is all a different matter. ALL I am doing is showing you what He tells us His perspective is, the rest is immaterial to our discussion. 2. He has absolutely defined what limits He places on Himself and we have talked about them but you can't even bring yourself to the point of accepting it was talked about much less the truth of what that means. So, since I apparently am talking to the wind, I'll let you review my posts before I go over it again. I came to this thread to talk about Love not about your misrepresentations of God.
Ah yes, killing babies and unborn children is the ultimate act of love. What could a more tender parent do? You should really hear yourself. If you were told that zeus or thor or krishna killed half a million infants but it was actually the ultimate act of love, what would you say? Would you think the person telling you this was quite alright?
so you still refuse to listen to what I am saying, why is that? 1. I am NOT suggesting to you that God was right or wrong, only what His perspective was/is. 2. You alone want to insist on judging anyone. You really need to set aside the judgment until you understand all the things you don't get. 3. What Zeus or Krishna did or did not do has absolutely NO bearing on what God's perspective is. Those only come into the picture when we offer judgment. As I have REPEATEDLY told you, we can't judge without knowing perspective and your posts show absolutely no understanding of perspective. Besides for which, the only thing we can offer on this discussion is whether or not God's perspective shows Love. and 4. again, your post shows lack of understanding the eternal perspective of God.

Now, are you ready to deal with what I am telling you or are you just going to keep on allowing your posts to spew words of hate, disrespect, venom for the things you don't understand. Cause unless you start dealing with what I am telling you, I'm going to disengage from this discussion completely and start discussing with people wanting to talk about Love which is in line with the OP question and the reason I cam here. IOW's I refuse to allow you to take us off topic when you can't even address the points being made. We all get that you don't agree with God's choices, many believers don't either, but that doesn't mean anything to this discussion. This discussion is about God's perspective and if in that perspective Love was demonstrated.
You can compare your god to a parent if you want, but I've told you, the analogy is really bad, and if you insist on doing it it just makes your god look a bigger so and so than he's already made out to be in the old testament.
already gave in depth details as to why it is a fair analogy, doesn't matter if it makes God look more or less righteous, the analogy is sound on many levels and as such must be addressed if we want to know who God really is, not who we have made up in our heads that He is. Like I said, a quest to know and understand Love and/or God refuses to make excuses or justify anything. God equates Himself to an earthly father, we must address that analogy as it applies to what He is telling us about Himself. If He did not use the analogy, you would be right to dismiss it. BY Him using it, we must also use it or we are not talking about the God of the bible at all but a different god and that would be dishonest, something I am sure you don't want to be here on the forum.
Woah, lol, you really just said that? Mass murder is not in fact your god showing love but actually because your omnipotent god has anger management issues. I see.
Wrath is not the opposite of Love, where did you ever get the idea that it was? Wrath and Love are absolutely comparable with wrath often flows from Love. This post suggests to me you need a crash course in Biblical Love 101 before you can even hope to grasp the depths of the other things you are trying to talk about.

Hum...where to begin....Love (Biblical Love) has a purpose. That purpose is reconciliation/restoration. If God was not a jealous God, if He were not a God of wrath, then there would be nothing to reconcile/restore in our relationship. See, when it comes to Love, sometimes, relationships get broken...it's just how a sinful world functions. When that happens, Love requires that we reconcile/restore. If wrath and Love were not compatible, then there would be nothing to reconcile/restore and Love would not be able to happen, which might (not a biblical sound principle but a logical one) be one reason God allowed man to chose sin in the very beginning and still saw it as good, Cause He knew that in that, man would discover his purpose.
But not through murder? That's just a bit of extra love on the side is it?
for the believer who is taking on the mindset of God, physical death is just (as the saying goes) a change of address. See, what I told you about God's perspective from the standpoint of being eternal...see you keep harping about his omni...but fail to deal with His eternal. God's perspective is an eternal one not a temporal one. If you tried to grasp this concept you wouldn't be asking this question right now. The question itself removes God's eternal nature and understanding from the discussion. Again, to do that is deceptive when you say you want to talk about the God of the bible because that is the God I am talking with you about, not your made up god you call the God of the bible.
Some father.

I've told you. If you want to compare your omnipotent, omniscient god to a limited human parent then go for it, but it just makes him look stupid. And really, really unpleasant.
see above...and don't forget His eternal nature and understanding, that makes you look stupid after being corrected so many times over now...sorry, that was probably inflammatory. It was not intended to be inflammatory but rather it was intended to show you in kindness how silly you are making this discussion by ignoring everything being said as if you are some expert that feels justified to leave out any part of God that doesn't suit your agenda.
And you want to know why would an omnipotent god not be justified to kill? Look, an omnipotent god can do anything he likes, including as much murder as takes his fancy. But a loving omnipotent god wouldn't need to kill anyone. That is so obvious that it's almost tragic that it needs to be spelled out. I'll say it again: A loving omnipotent god would not need to kill anyone at all. Now, digest that.
what death are we talking about here? The physical death that is just a change of address, or the spiritual death that is our choice? Which one are you most worried about? Oh, that's right, you refuse to accept that God is both omni...and eternal, so you can't grasp that physical death has a different meaning to God than it does to us. Maybe we should cut our responses down to dealing with that concept before trying to tackle some of the other issues you have with your understanding of God at least the God of the Bible rather than some other god.

Upvote 0

Mr Strawberry

Jan 20, 2012
Great Britain
✟12,542.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
First, can you try and write more concisely because you are given to rambling. By the time you've written 4 or 5 lines you've totally wondered off any point you were thinking of making and we're just left with another massive paragraph full of irrelevant, loopy, nonsense.

OK, you finish by saying that you want to talk about your god having a different concept of death to us mere humans as a way of explaining/excusing his passion for murder. So go for it. And yes, we are talking about physical death, as in killing people. You wish to make the case that killing people is OK for your god, because all the people he kills go to happyland in the sky afterwards. Well, apart from the ones he kills because he's angry of course, which would be all us them. But his anger is really just love in disguise isn't it? Anyway, for some reason the straightforward concept of a loving god who doesn't need to kill anyone is out of the question. Can't imagine why but there we are. I know, you go ahead. Make your case. Concisely.

Last edited:
Upvote 0