What is left for us to do after we accept Jesus Christ as our Lord?

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you all, by the grace of God for each of your comments.

They are all each in their own way helpful, if there is anyone else who like to add anything that has been said please do.

May you all enjoy the rest of your Sunday, and praise be to the Lord Jesus Christ for the glory of God for the changes that he makes with-in us as we continue to walk with them through our faith and believing.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hey you, curious to know what is left for us to do after acceptance of placing faith in God, and the Lord Jesus Christ?

Here below you can see what we progress from after we accept the Lord Jesus Christ, but what is there left for us to do afterwards?

Hebrews 6: 1 Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, 2 of the doctrine of baptisms, of laying on of hands, of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

Hebrews 6 says we go to perfection (maturity), for a believer they do not have to worry about laying down the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith (work is believing in God, and that work is also loving of God, and loving of others).

You repent once, you change your desires from having nothing to do with God into having a relationship with him and his son.

We no longer worry about the doctrine of baptism because we are baptised by the Lord Jesus Christ by the holy spirit and fire.

No more laying on hands, we have prayer to God and we will receive help by the holy spirit that lives with-in as we ask God for helped and guidance. We no longer have to worry about the resurrection of the dead, because we have learned about God raising the Lord Jesus Christ from the dead.​

We no longer worry about eternal judgement. (maybe someone can explain this one to me cause I don't quite get it as I do the others.)​

What is left for us as believers after acceptance of the Lord Jesus Christ if we lay all of these things down, and progress in our relationship with God?

Would anyone like to answer this question?

You may find this CF thread (I created a while back) helpful.

What are the BIG things in the Bible we must accept as Christians? (Please no debating or criticism)

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The OP says "what is left for us to do after we accept jesus [sic] christ [sic] as our lord [sic]"

We are to live our lives in Christ as best we can, guided by the Holy Spirit. The rest of the discussion about baptism doctrine, etc. is off topic.

• Agree
Reactions: mlepfitjw
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Thank you all, by the grace of God for each of your comments.

They are all each in their own way helpful, if there is anyone else who like to add anything that has been said please do.

May you all enjoy the rest of your Sunday, and praise be to the Lord Jesus Christ for the glory of God for the changes that he makes with-in us as we continue to walk with them through our faith and believing.

Kinda' hard to enjoy this Sunday. 8^(

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟748,345.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
A good question and I agree with a lot of the answers posted here.
For me, having faith in Christ is like being on a journey, a journey that has not finished, but only just started.
The life of a Christian is never meant to be stagnant, we are meant to grow and mature as disciples. Jesus said that whoever wishes to follow Him must take up their cross daily. We are His friends if we do what He says. By keeping His commandments, we abide in His love. By abiding in Him, we develop fruit.
The Christian life is not always easy. We will face trials, we will face persecution, but we are to be steadfast and faithful. When Jesus taught His disciples about prayer, He instructed them to pray that they may not be "led into temptation". It was not just a one off prayer, but a model for how they should continue to pray, day by day, for the rest of their lives.
Christians are very capable of sinning. Thomas doubted His Lord. Peter denied Him, not once but three times. Judas Iscariot turned His back on Jesus and betrayed him for thirty pieces of silver. We all know that Thomas and Peter were forgiven graciously, but whatever happened to Judas? I guess we will never know. What I do know is that by abiding in Christ, by taking up our cross daily and following Him, we will never be in danger of walking in Judas's footsteps.

Upvote 0

Navair2

May the Lord Jesus Christ be magnified above all
Nov 18, 2020
Somewhere west of Chicago.
✟36,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey you, curious to know what is left for us to do after acceptance of placing faith in God, and the Lord Jesus Christ?
I'm a bit confused...

Don't you mean, "What's left after we've believed on Christ?"
Perhaps they are synonymous.

What's left?
Trials and tribulations, tests of faith, growing in grace and knowledge, studying God's word to become educated on what He has done for us through His Son, Jesus Christ...
Lots of stuff.

Good works that He will do through us ( John 3:21, Ephesians 2:10, Philippians 2:13 ) come to mind, as do building up one another in the faith, praising God for His unspeakable gift of eternal life, and comforting one another with the Scriptures.
Being used by Him to meet the needs of brothers and sisters is one of the greatest honors one can have, spiritually.

As for "bearing fruit", this is something that God the Father does in and through a person by the work of His Spirit.
We don't have to "work at it", it's His work ( John 15:2 ).

May He bless you greatly in your studies of His word, and may you be reminded constantly of His grace towards you through His Son.:)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We no longer worry about eternal judgement. (maybe someone can explain this one to me cause I don't quite get it as I do the others.)
It means that when we enter heaven God will see us and He will see Christ in us, so we don't need to be afraid if we will be judged by our good works (the law) because our good works are in Christ. We are the manifestation of the Messiah, just as Jesus is the manifestation of the Father.

What is left for us as believers after acceptance of the Lord Jesus Christ if we lay all of these things down, and progress in our relationship with God?
Communion. The way I explain it to people is, we are like a child from a royal family who got separated from his kingdom and a farmer family found him and raised him. The child always knew he was different, he wasn't a farmer, but the parents raised him as one of their own and that's all he knew. Eventually the child learns his real identity and is reunited with his Father, but this child was raised as a farmer so he has an identity that is not of a royal child. So he spends time with his Father and learns His real identity and how to be a king, which is new to the child, but it was always in him, it was just hidden. So now, through that communion with the Father and other members of the Kingdom, the child continues to grow and learn because he is a heir to the throne. The child also helps a lot of other kids who were also separated from their Father, so they can too learn their real identity.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟811,949.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Here below you can see what we progress from after we accept the Lord Jesus Christ, but what is there left for us to do afterwards?

Hebrews 6: 1 Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, 2 of the doctrine of baptisms, of laying on of hands, of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

Hebrews 6 says we go to perfection (maturity), for a believer they do not have to worry about laying down the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith (work is believing in God, and that work is also loving of God, and loving of others).

You repent once, you change your desires from having nothing to do with God into having a relationship with him and his son.

We no longer worry about the doctrine of baptism because we are baptised by the Lord Jesus Christ by the holy spirit and fire.

No more laying on hands, we have prayer to God and we will receive help by the holy spirit that lives with-in as we ask God for helped and guidance. We no longer have to worry about the resurrection of the dead, because we have learned about God raising the Lord Jesus Christ from the dead.​

We no longer worry about eternal judgement. (maybe someone can explain this one to me cause I don't quite get it as I do the others.)​

Hopefully, we continue to grow in the Spirit until we die.

• Agree
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The Christian receives, remains, and reflects.

Receives:

Salvation and the transforming work of the Holy Spirit.

Remains:

In a place of loving submission to, and fellowship with, God.

Reflects:

The work of God within in holy, joyful obedience and service to God.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟281,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

What we accept Jesus as Lord, what comes after that is straightforwardly living a life that is obediently submitted to Jesus as Lord in through obeying the Mosaic Law that he taught by word and by example, which is God's instructions for how to grow in a relationship with Him and His Son. In John 17:3, eternal life is experientially knowing God and Jesus, and in Matthew 19:17, the way to enter eternal life is by obeying God's commandments, so again God's commandments are His instructions for how to grow in a relationship with Him and His Son. In contrast, Jesus said in Matthew 7:23 that he would tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him because he never knew them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gary O'

Dec 27, 2020
Oregon
✟98,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is left for us to do after we accept Jesus Christ as our Lord?

Tell others

So we can go home

https://biblehub.com/matthew/24-14.htm
“And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world for a witness to all the nations, and then the end shall come."
Matthew 24:14

Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Dear brother,
You ask what is left for us to do after placing faith in God and the Lord Jesus Christ. Let me ask you why God the Father promised to give the Holy Spirit. And why our Lord Jesus ask us to wait for the promise of the Father. It is because we need help. What help do we need ? It is to listen closely to what our Lord God has been saying, observe His commandments and follow His ways.

Why we need help listening to God and His Son ? It was because many hear but don’t understand and many see but don’t perceive.

That is why our Lord have said this :
But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, He will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you. -John 14:26

Why our Lord has to tell us that we need to be taught about all things and remind us what He has said ?

This is what we have heard :
But, as it is written, "What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love Him"' -1 Corinthians 2:9

these things God has revealed to us through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God. -1 Corinthians 2:10

So many eyes have not perceived, many ears have not understood and many hearts have not received because these things God will only reveal through the Spirit.

What God has prepared ?
For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which GOD PREPARED BEFOREHAND, that we should walk in them. -Ephesians 2:10

You see that many have not perceived and understood that they are created in union with Christ for good works that they should walk in them.

This is what we have heard:
"Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father. -John 14:12

Whatever you ASK in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. -John 14:13

brother, you see, many have not asked God the Father in Christ’s name that they may ASK to do the works that Christ does.

Many ask amiss ! Because they perceive wrongly and understood wrongly. That is why apostle James have said :

You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions. -James 4:3

Apostle John have clearly told us :
and whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do what pleases Him. -1 John 3:22

But many perceive wrongly and ask wrongly, believing that they will receive without keeping the Lord’s commandments and do what pleases Him.

That is why after Holy Spirit comes, we will be filled with power to witness to do what is true by coming to the light of the world so that our works can be clearly seen that our works in union with Christ have been carried out in God.

So what is left for us to do is to do the works that our Lord does.

This is what we have heard:
20 For what credit is there in bearing up under a beating you deserve for doing something wrong? But if you bear up under punishment, even though you have done what is right, God looks on it with favor.
21 Indeed, this is what you were called to;
because the Messiah too suffered, on your behalf, leaving an example so that you should follow in His steps.
22 "He committed no sin, nor was any deceit found on His lips."
23When He was insulted, He didn't retaliate with insults; when He suffered, He didn't threaten, but handed them over to Him ( the Father ) who judges justly.
24He himself bore our sins in His body on the stake, o so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness - by His wounds you were healed.
25 For you used to be like sheep gone astray, but now you have turned to the Shepherd, who watches over you.-1 Peter 2:20-25

Therefore, let us listen closely to what our Lord God is saying, observe His commandments and follow in His ways.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

a simple but clear request was presented to the disciples when they were first called by Christ saying "follow me". they believed in him and accepted his message so what was the next thing they did? dropped everything and followed him.

Upvote 0

bling

Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟794,650.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ok so you believe water is necessary to declare the inward change took place ? If the inward change took place already why is the baptism necessary if not to confess Christ if there is no one at your baptism?
New Christians may not tap into everything that is available to them to help them experience the transformation:

I do not know of any Christian group, who believe the water itself saves you, since all believe it is God who saves and God is not limited by water.

Water baptism is not a “requirement” for salvation since God does the saving, but is something Christians get to do in order to help them and others.

I know that I needed everything God could provide to assure me of my conversion, both outwardly and mentally. God wants you to physically feel the experience of what is going on Spiritually.

You need to add to your conversion a definite time place and physical experience, which God has provided for you.

Adult believers water immersion is to be a physical outward representation of what had or is happening spiritually in the person being baptized. It is mainly to help the individual being baptized to better grasp what is going on, but it can “witness” to others observing the baptism. It has the elements of going down under the water (burying the old man), placing your dependence in another; the person baptizing you (surrendering your life to God), being washed (having your sins washed away), rising out of the water (rising from the old dead body), and stepping forth out onto the earth (a new person). The person is walking out into the hugs of his new family. It is also a sign of your humility, since it is a humbling act anyone can simple allow someone to do to them (so not a work) and since humility has been shown in the accept of charity (God’s free gift of undeserving forgiveness) it should just support and add to the memory of that acceptance. To refuse Christian water baptism when it is readily available might mean you are not ready to handle other responsibility like having the indwelling Holy Spirit and you are hurting yourself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mikeforjesus

Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟570,944.00
Faith
Christian
Thankyou that is very informative. But there are churches which believe it is necessary to be saved but I think that is only to be saved upon death not to never be saved in the world to come. I do think it also gives the feeling of taking away sins now and does allow one sins to be taken away now but there is the promise of one sins are to be taken away later. There is still the feeling of change for holy spirit to come on one but not to take away sins now. I was thinking of going back to a orthodox church but I don't think God wills for me to go to church as I would be lukewarm not really dedicated to the church because of not liking the teachings of the church which insists that others are not saved. So I think it is a mistake. I should go to a church to seek to be more alive to help others be more convinced

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟893,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Stay the course, many will be decieved and fall away. Spread the Good News. Blessings.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Well, some here at CF do not like it when I say this, but one thing to do is to abide by the warning in Matthew about those who call him 'Lord', but He will turn to them and say that He never knew them. Why? The answer is that they failed to show mercy to those in need, like feeding the hungry and clothing the naked. Faith in Jesus is clearly not enough, if we fail to help those in need.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Bruce Leiter

A sinner saved by God's astounding grace and love
Jun 16, 2018
West Michigan
Visit site
✟56,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Go to Ephesians 2:1-10, where Paul says that we were LOST (verses 1-3), we have been LOVED (verses 4-9), and we are to do LOVING deeds as a result (verse 10). That last one is a lifelong project of spiritual growth (Ephesians 4-6).

Upvote 0