Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I wanted to create a thread and I wasn't sure if I should post it in the politics area, but I don't want it to get what can be a good, civil discussion gummed up with political bias and strife. But, these are heartfelt issues for most of us, so it's difficult not to approach the other side cautiously.

Today I saw a video from Dinesh D'Souza that really hit me hard. It was a question from the audience about what real justice is and I think he really hits the nail on the head about how justice today seems to be pushing the boundaries of what violates other people's rights.

Please watch this video to see his response and share what you think.

Reactions: Noxot

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
I wanted to create a thread and I wasn't sure if I should post it in the politics area, but I don't want it to get what can be a good, civil discussion gummed up with political bias and strife. But, these are heartfelt issues for most of us, so it's difficult not to approach the other side cautiously.

Today I saw a video from Dinesh D'Souza that really hit me hard. It was a question from the audience about what real justice is and I think he really hits the nail on the head about how justice today seems to be pushing the boundaries of what violates other people's rights.

IMO, as a libertarian, practical justice - that which is valid for political governments - can only simply be the equalization of measurable trespasses against one's person by another person.

Reactions: Eudaimonist
Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

Care to summarize Dinesh's argument?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Walsinghsm Way

Jul 3, 2017
Metro Atlanta
Visit site
✟11,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Baruch Hashem, Saucy!

I don't have the time to peruse the D'Souza video now (maybe later), but I do have some thoughts.

"Justice" as a core concept in moral philosophy is at least as old as Socrates and Plato (I always remember how surprised I was to learn that Republic was basically an extended metaphor on what justice as a power and function of the soul is like) and at least as hotly debated ever since. The greatest argument has always been whether justice is universal or particular, absolute or relative, or whether it is simply what the person with the most force behind him says it is as opposed to something built into the fabric of the universe by its Creator.

Following Micah 6:8 believers in God are to love mercy and do justice. For me that brings up an interesting conundrum between the two: Justice is strict and often unyielding, quite often corrupted and or withheld, whereas mercy is abundant and without measure, extended to all and sundry and yet we are to hold both in our hearts as virtues.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I liked the video.

justice is the same thing that divine wisdom and love is. justice is goodness and truth. justice is righteousness.

justice is giving everyone the same dignity as everyone else which means we can't abuse some in order to help others.

justice is the best possible outcome, the best possible reality. outcomes don't have to be static for it to be just, there are many different ways things can happen that can still exist in high orders of justice.

some people are opposed to justice because they hold something higher. since justice is a good and some are opposed to the pure meaning of justice and since goodness does not conflict with goodness it means that there is some kind of evil trying to distort or oppose justice.

a justice that is not known as goodness, truth, love, and wisdom will be inferior and not worth existing in or caring about.

justice is something that personalities/souls must bring into reality. it is a creative act of spirit and it is a higher mode of being.

Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0