✟48,243.00
Country
China
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Married
What is gay?
99% of people at present will most likely answer 'homosexual' [esp. man].
Definition of gay | Dictionary.com
Somewhere 30 years ago and prior, the term 'gay' was commonly referred to as "light-hearted and carefree" till it was habituated to be commonly known as 'homosexual' [esp. man].​

The same thing happened with the term 'jihad' in Arabic linguistic and etymology hundred of years ago where its literal meaning 'striving' was hijacked to something else, i.e. armed struggle.

Jihad [JHD] etymologically means striving or struggling.
However when one look at the current Arabic dictionaries, the first meaning is 'warring and striving against unbelievers', thus its default meaning.

If we are to analyze all the verses with the root J-H-D [50+] in the 6236 verses of the Quran, 23 [as below] are related to striving and fighting against unbelievers in an aggressive mode. (nb: verses are truncated)

8:72 struggled with their wealth and their lives in
9:20 believed and emigrated and struggled in the
9:88 with him struggled with their wealth and their
49:15 they were not in doubt and they struggled with
9:44 they struggle with their wealth and their lives.
9:81 of God and they disliked struggling with their
61:11 in God and His Messenger and struggle in the
9:41 Move forward light and heavy, and struggle
4:95 God gave advantage to the ones who struggle
2:218 those who emigrated and struggled in the way [sabil]
8:74 who believed and emigrated and struggled in

8:75 afterwards, and emigrated and struggled
9:16 be left before God knows those who struggled
9:19 in God and the Last Day and struggled in the
9:73 O Prophet! Struggle with the ones who are
25:52 the ones who are ungrateful and struggle
66:9 O Prophet! Struggle against the ones who are
9:24 than God and His Messenger and struggling in
60:1 If you had been going forth struggling in My
47:31 you until We know the ones who struggle​

The first 11 relate to jihad in terms of striving with money and one's life in the cause of Allah.
This is obviously related to warring and armed struggle against unbelievers and to kill them where the opportunity arise. As for jihad with 'lives' that is where Allah promotes suicide bombing [an approved war tactic].

Many Muslims and apologists will insist the term 'jihad' in the Quran refer to the inner struggle against various temptations. There are only a few verses related to personal struggle for oneself for various reasons.

Why the Arabic dictionaries interpret the meaning of 'jihad' as the defaulted to the ethos of Islam, i.e. the hatred and war against non-believers. This common meaning is establish as the default meaning under the influence of the 55% or 3400++ verses that are contemptuous against disbelievers.

Thus when we see and hear of the term 'jihad' in relation to Islam, the default meaning means to war against and the killings of disbelievers.
If any other meaning of 'jihad' are to be used, they would have to be qualified to the specific context, if not, then it is the default meaning.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Mathetes66

Joyousperson

Supporter
May 1, 2019
Beijing
✟48,243.00
Country
China
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Married
Here is a list of all words used in the Quran based on the root J-H-D in the various grammatical categories;

JHD:
JAHADA—verb III perfect—to struggle
3:142 God knows not those who struggled among
16:110 persecuted and, again, struggled and endured
29:6 struggled, he struggles only for himself. Then
29:8 if they struggled with thee that thou ascribest
29:69 who struggled for Us, We will truly guide them
31:15 both struggled with thee that thou ascribest

verb III imperfect (yujahidu) —to struggle
5:54 They struggle in the way of God and they fear
29:6 struggled, he struggles only for himself. Then

verb III imperative (jahid)—struggle
5:35 look for an approach to Him and struggle in
9:86 Believe in God and struggle along with His
22:78 And struggle for God in a true struggling. He

verb III verbal noun (jihad)—struggling
22:78 And struggle for God in a true struggling. He
25:52 against them thereby with a great struggle

verb III active participle (mujahid)— one who struggles
4:95 the ones who struggle in the way of God with
47:31 you until We know the ones who struggle

567. JAHADA—verb I perfect—to be earnest
verb I verbal noun (jahd)—most earnest
5:53 the most earnest of sworn oaths—that they
6:109 And they swear by God the most earnest
16:38 swore by God their most earnest oaths: God
24:53 And they swore by God their most earnest
35:42 they swore by God the most earnest oaths, that

568. JUHD—masculine noun—striving

9:79 those who find not but their striving [juh'dahum] to give [charity]​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joyousperson

Supporter
May 1, 2019
Beijing
✟48,243.00
Country
China
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Married
Hi Joyousperson,

Good study you did and good that you brought this fact up.

Even in Islam's own encyclopedia, Jihad predominantly means war with unbelievers to defend, but also to further the cause of Islam throughout the world -- this is Islam, not just Wahhabism.

JIHAD الْجِهاد
Islamic Encyclopedia Mon, 13 Oct, 2014
Literally, “extraordinary efforts”, “utmost exertion,” or to “strive hard;” but in strict Islamic terminology, fighting with arms, primarily to give ascendancy to the Word of Allah, meaning, to establish His lordship on the earth, where none is worshiped but Allah, and none is obeyed but Allah

So no doubt that Islam is the same yesterday, today and for always a religion of Jihad against unbelievers until the whole world is under Islam through Sharia. Why? Because Muhammad was the last prophet, the seal of the prophets, and no one can change anything Allah commanded through Muhammad as the final orders for Islam - Chapter 9 of the Quran.
From above quote;

setst777 wrote:
Even in Islam's own encyclopedia, Jihad predominantly means war with unbelievers to defend, but also to further the cause of Islam throughout the world -- this is Islam, not just Wahhabism.

JIHAD الْجِهاد
Islamic Encyclopedia Mon, 13 Oct, 2014
Literally, “extraordinary efforts”, “utmost exertion,” or to “strive hard;” but in strict Islamic terminology, fighting with arms, primarily to give ascendancy to the Word of Allah, meaning, to establish His lordship on the earth, where none is worshiped but Allah, and none is obeyed but Allah

So no doubt that Islam is the same yesterday, today and for always a religion of Jihad against unbelievers until the whole world is under Islam through Sharia. Why? Because Muhammad was the last prophet, the seal of the prophets, and no one can change anything Allah commanded through Muhammad as the final orders for Islam - Chapter 9 of the Quran.

• Agree
Reactions: Mathetes66
Upvote 0

Godistruth1

Supporter
Apr 9, 2018
Somewhere
✟97,167.00
Country
India
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
What is gay?
99% of people at present will most likely answer 'homosexual' [esp. man].
Definition of gay | Dictionary.com
Somewhere 30 years ago and prior, the term 'gay' was commonly referred to as "light-hearted and carefree" till it was habituated to be commonly known as 'homosexual' [esp. man].​

The same thing happened with the term 'jihad' in Arabic linguistic and etymology hundred of years ago where its literal meaning 'striving' was hijacked to something else, i.e. armed struggle.

Jihad [JHD] etymologically means striving or struggling.
However when one look at the current Arabic dictionaries, the first meaning is 'warring and striving against unbelievers', thus its default meaning.

If we are to analyze all the verses with the root J-H-D [50+] in the 6236 verses of the Quran, 23 [as below] are related to striving and fighting against unbelievers in an aggressive mode. (nb: verses are truncated)

47:31 you until We know the ones who struggle​

The first 11 relate to jihad in terms of striving with money and one's life in the cause of Allah.
This is obviously related to warring and armed struggle against unbelievers and to kill them where the opportunity arise. As for jihad with 'lives' that is where Allah promotes suicide bombing [an approved war tactic].

Many Muslims and apologists will insist the term 'jihad' in the Quran refer to the inner struggle against various temptations. There are only a few verses related to personal struggle for oneself for various reasons.

Why the Arabic dictionaries interpret the meaning of 'jihad' as the defaulted to the ethos of Islam, i.e. the hatred and war against non-believers. This common meaning is establish as the default meaning under the influence of the 55% or 3400++ verses that are contemptuous against disbelievers.

Thus when we see and hear of the term 'jihad' in relation to Islam, the default meaning means to war against and the killings of disbelievers.
If any other meaning of 'jihad' are to be used, they would have to be qualified to the specific context, if not, then it is the default meaning.
Jihad does mean strive or struggle. In actual use its mostly used in fight no doubt but it does in no way mean fight against disbelievers.

Upvote 0

Joyousperson

Supporter
May 1, 2019
Beijing
✟48,243.00
Country
China
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Married
Jihad does mean strive or struggle. In actual use its mostly used in fight no doubt but it does in no way mean fight against disbelievers.
Within the whole context of the Quran, one of the very major theme is the primal impulse of 'us versus them' i.e. believers against disbelievers.
The disbelievers in the Quran are very distinctively identified in 3400++ verses or 55% of the total 6236 verses in a range of contemptuous, dehumanizing, antagonistic and derogatory terms.
This is reflected in the very famous dictum 'darul al Islam versus darul al harb' in a very antagonistic and contemptuous mode.

As mentioned 23 out of the 50+ verses with the term JHD:Jihad are related to fighting.
In the above context of a significant us versus them' i.e. believers against disbelievers theme, it is obvious the fighting is against 'disbelievers' if not who else?? against Muslims??

If you have read the Quran thoroughly in the right context, you will note JHD:Jihad in terms of fighting in the context of war and aggression is always against the disbelievers.

Note examples 3 of 23 re JHD:Jihad in fighting and war mode against disbelievers;

60:1. O ye [Muslims] who believe! Choose not My enemy [infidels] and your enemy [infidels] for friends. Do ye [Muslims] give them [infidels] friendship [love, bonding, bil-mawadati بِالْمَوَدَّةِ و د د ] when they [infidels] disbelieve in that [revelation Quran] truth which hath come unto you [Muslims], driving out the messenger and you [Muslims] because ye [Muslims] believe in Allah, your Lord?
If ye [Muslims] have come forth to strive [JHD: Jihad] in My way and seeking My good pleasure, (show them [infidels] not friendship).
Do ye [Muslims] show friendship unto them [infidels] in secret, when I am best Aware of what ye [Muslims] hide and what ye proclaim? And whosoever [Muslim] doeth it among you, be verily hath strayed from the right way.​

9:41. [O ye Muslims] Go forth, light armed and heavy armed, and strive [JHD: jahid] with your wealth and your lives in the way of Allah! That is best for you [Muslim] if ye but knew.

4:95. Those [Muslims] of the believers who sit still, other than those [Muslims] who have a (disabling) hurt, are not on an equality with those [Muslims] who strive [JHD: Mujahid] in the way of Allah with their wealth and lives. Allah hath conferred on those [Muslims] who strive [JHD: Mujahid] with their wealth and lives a rank above the sedentary. Unto each Allah hath promised good, but He hath bestowed on those [Muslims fighters] who strive [JHD: Mujahid] a great reward above the sedentary;​

If you are not convinced read the listing of verses with JHD:Jihad in fight and war mode I listed in blue above.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Godistruth1

Supporter
Apr 9, 2018
Somewhere
✟97,167.00
Country
India
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Within the whole context of the Quran, one of the very major theme is the primal impulse of 'us versus them' i.e. believers against disbelievers.
The disbelievers in the Quran are very distinctively identified in 3400++ verses or 55% of the total 6236 verses in a range of contemptuous, dehumanizing, antagonistic and derogatory terms.
This is reflected in the very famous dictum 'darul al Islam versus darul al harb' in a very antagonistic and contemptuous mode.

As mentioned 23 out of the 50+ verses with the term JHD:Jihad are related to fighting.
In the above context of a significant us versus them' i.e. believers against disbelievers theme, it is obvious the fighting is against 'disbelievers' if not who else?? against Muslims??

If you have read the Quran thoroughly in the right context, you will note JHD:Jihad in terms of fighting in the context of war and aggression is always against the disbelievers.

Note examples 3 of 23 re JHD:Jihad in fighting and war mode against disbelievers;

60:1. O ye [Muslims] who believe! Choose not My enemy [infidels] and your enemy [infidels] for friends. Do ye [Muslims] give them [infidels] friendship [love, bonding, bil-mawadati بِالْمَوَدَّةِ و د د ] when they [infidels] disbelieve in that [revelation Quran] truth which hath come unto you [Muslims], driving out the messenger and you [Muslims] because ye [Muslims] believe in Allah, your Lord?
If ye [Muslims] have come forth to strive [JHD: Jihad] in My way and seeking My good pleasure, (show them [infidels] not friendship).
Do ye [Muslims] show friendship unto them [infidels] in secret, when I am best Aware of what ye [Muslims] hide and what ye proclaim? And whosoever [Muslim] doeth it among you, be verily hath strayed from the right way.​

9:41. [O ye Muslims] Go forth, light armed and heavy armed, and strive [JHD: jahid] with your wealth and your lives in the way of Allah! That is best for you [Muslim] if ye but knew.

4:95. Those [Muslims] of the believers who sit still, other than those [Muslims] who have a (disabling) hurt, are not on an equality with those [Muslims] who strive [JHD: Mujahid] in the way of Allah with their wealth and lives. Allah hath conferred on those [Muslims] who strive [JHD: Mujahid] with their wealth and lives a rank above the sedentary. Unto each Allah hath promised good, but He hath bestowed on those [Muslims fighters] who strive [JHD: Mujahid] a great reward above the sedentary;​

If you are not convinced read the listing of verses with JHD:Jihad in fight and war mode I listed in blue above.
Fighting is part of jihad no doubt. Even speaking against wrong is jihad, preventing yourself from doing something wrong is also jihad. You see jihad as any fight against non believers and receiving reward just for killing a non Muslim.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟426,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
On a linguistic level, Jihad is actually just the Arabic word for "Struggle". It is a common given name among Levantine Arab Christians of a certain age, for instance, due to their own communities' long struggle against Islamic domination, and obviously has nothing to with the war tactics of Muhammad and his followers when they name their kids that. It is a shame that Islamic terrorism has perverted this perfectly useful word, which is not inherently connected with violence as a word.

Upvote 0

Joyousperson

Supporter
May 1, 2019
Beijing
✟48,243.00
Country
China
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Married
Fighting is part of jihad no doubt. Even speaking against wrong is jihad, preventing yourself from doing something wrong is also jihad. You see jihad as any fight against non believers and receiving reward just for killing a non Muslim.
You got is wrong. As stated 'jihad' literally mean struggle which mean one can jihad against anything.
But in the case of Islam, the term 'jihad' has been hijacked to mean 'holy war' against disbelievers.

It is not me but it is Allah who in the Quran [in many verses] exhorts Muslims to "Jihad" against disbelievers for the cause of Allah [Sabil] in terms of threats [FSD Fasad] against Islam. Note the few verses [among many others] I quoted above.

Note 5:33
5:33. The only reward [punishment] of those [infidels] who make war upon Allah and His messenger and strive [S3Y: wayasʿawna ] after corruption [FSD: Fasad: mischiefs, wronged] in the land - will be that they [infidels] will be killed or crucified, or have their [infidels'] hands and feet on alternate sides cut off, or will be expelled out of the land. Such will be their [infidels] degradation in the world, and in the Hereafter theirs [infidels] will be an awful doom;​

In the above with 5:33, anything the Muslims who feel threatened or not comfortable with disbelievers they have the sanction above i.e. in 5:33 for them to kill disbelievers based on the reason of 'fasad' [FSD]. Even the drawing of cartoons of Muhammad is 'fasad' thus justified for Muslims to war against and kill disbelievers, what more with other similar milder and worst offences against Islam?

When evil prone Muslims quote 5:33 to justify why they killed disbelieving cartoonists and their supporters, and that is sanctioned by Allah as in 5:33 and other verses, WHO ARE YOU, me and others to insist they are wrong?

Would you dare to go against and challenge Allah's words in the Quran?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Joyousperson

Supporter
May 1, 2019
Beijing
✟48,243.00
Country
China
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Married
Jihad is widely known as the extremist, warring faction of islam.

Not saying that is factually correct. Its how the world sees that terminology
Jihad in its literal and etymological origins means 'struggle' 'strive' and the likes.

But the most domineering ethos of the Quran is anti-disbelievers and to war against them. This was how the term "jihad" was accepted by Muslims long ago as 'holy war' and used as a battle cry word to energize the Islamists to fight disbelievers. This term 'jihad' = holy war is one of the meaning in the Arabic Dictionary.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joyousperson

Supporter
May 1, 2019
Beijing
✟48,243.00
Country
China
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Married
On a linguistic level, Jihad is actually just the Arabic word for "Struggle". It is a common given name among Levantine Arab Christians of a certain age, for instance, due to their own communities' long struggle against Islamic domination, and obviously has nothing to with the war tactics of Muhammad and his followers when they name their kids that. It is a shame that Islamic terrorism has perverted this perfectly useful word, which is not inherently connected with violence as a word.
Note my response above.
It was not perverted by the present Islamist terrorists.

Except for a small window of a period of peace, Islam and Islamists has been at war [mostly the initiator as imperialists] with disbelievers since 1400 years ago till now.
This is because the ethos of the ideology of Islam is to war against disbelievers due to the inherent eternal threats [FSD: fasad] from disbelievers.

This is how the common meaning 'jihad = holy war' among the Arabic community was accepted long ago by Muslims.

Upvote 0

Yytz6

Muslim
Jun 26, 2019
Versailles
✟22,158.00
Country
France
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
It's you Islamophobics who "perverted" the word.

Upvote 0

Yytz6

Muslim
Jun 26, 2019
Versailles
✟22,158.00
Country
France
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private

The world for you is the people around you and the papers you read. But in reality it's bigger than that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Godistruth1

Supporter
Apr 9, 2018
Somewhere
✟97,167.00
Country
India
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
You got is wrong. As stated 'jihad' literally mean struggle which mean one can jihad against anything.
But in the case of Islam, the term 'jihad' has been hijacked to mean 'holy war' against disbelievers.

It is not me but it is Allah who in the Quran [in many verses] exhorts Muslims to "Jihad" against disbelievers for the cause of Allah [Sabil] in terms of threats [FSD Fasad] against Islam. Note the few verses [among many others] I quoted above.

Note 5:33
5:33. The only reward [punishment] of those [infidels] who make war upon Allah and His messenger and strive [S3Y: wayasʿawna ] after corruption [FSD: Fasad: mischiefs, wronged] in the land - will be that they [infidels] will be killed or crucified, or have their [infidels'] hands and feet on alternate sides cut off, or will be expelled out of the land. Such will be their [infidels] degradation in the world, and in the Hereafter theirs [infidels] will be an awful doom;​

In the above with 5:33, anything the Muslims who feel threatened or not comfortable with disbelievers they have the sanction above i.e. in 5:33 for them to kill disbelievers based on the reason of 'fasad' [FSD]. Even the drawing of cartoons of Muhammad is 'fasad' thus justified for Muslims to war against and kill disbelievers, what more with other similar milder and worst offences against Islam?

When evil prone Muslims quote 5:33 to justify why they killed disbelieving cartoonists and their supporters, and that is sanctioned by Allah as in 5:33 and other verses, WHO ARE YOU, me and others to insist they are wrong?

So what's wrong with doing jihad?

Upvote 0

Joyousperson

Supporter
May 1, 2019
Beijing
✟48,243.00
Country
China
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Married
So what's wrong with doing jihad?
Violence on and killing of another human being is morally wrong and are an evil and violent act against humanity.
Yes, at present there are laws that permit killing another human but this must end eventually.
What is worst is when a religion permit the killing of another human being.

Every time there was a terrorist attack [especially the terrible ones] anywhere in the world, the world's leaders will come up with the statement;

"Islam is a religion of peace,"
i.e. do not condone violence and evil.​

George Bush, Obama, David Cameron, Hilary Clinton, the Pope, Theresa May and many has been declaring Islam is a religion of peace.

Note the statement by Obama and Hilary Here;

As I had proven above, I stated;

In the above with 5:33, anything the Muslims who feel threatened or not comfortable with disbelievers they have the sanction above i.e. in 5:33 for them to kill disbelievers based on the reason of 'fasad' [FSD]. Even the drawing of cartoons of Muhammad is 'fasad' thus justified for Muslims to war against and kill disbelievers, what more with other similar milder and worst offences against Islam?​

There are thousands of verses in the Quran that condemned the disbelievers with contemptuous and hatred verses with sanction for Muslims to kill disbelievers merely because they disbelieved which is a threat [FSD: fasad] to Islam.

I wrote above;

When evil prone Muslims is triggered by 5:33 to justify why they killed disbelieving cartoonists and their supporters, and that is sanctioned by Allah as in 5:33 and other verses, WHO ARE YOU, me and others to insist they are wrong?

Do you agree 'Jihad' in this case, i.e. to strive and war against non-Muslims including killing them upon any FSD: fasad [threat] is acceptable to you?

Upvote 0

Joyousperson

Supporter
May 1, 2019
Beijing
✟48,243.00
Country
China
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Married
You are insulting your own intelligence.
Phobia = irrational fears of things.
Islamophobia = irrational fear of Islam.

Those who equate 'jihad = holy war" against disbelievers are not "Islamophobes" because there are real fears when such 'jihad = holy war' [sanctioned by Allah] is used by SOME Islamists to commit terrors of very terrible evil and violent acts upon disbelievers and apostates.

It is natural to have real fears the ideology of Islam [re jihad = holy war] because it can triggered Muslims out of nowhere to kill non-Muslims for mere reason that they disbelieved Islam, drawings of cartoons, etc.

Those who critique Islam are doing it out of a degree of real fear [not irrational fears] based on the terrors committed by SOME Muslims inspired by the ideology of Islam.

Your use of 'Islamophobes' in the above situation is an insult to your own intelligence.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟426,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

When posting a clarification as to what a word means in order to make it clear that it is not related to Islamic terrorism (thereby arguing against the idea that "Muslims are terrorists because look at what this word means") but by the fact that Islamic terrorists happen to use that word (so do non-terrorist Muslims, and non-terrorist non-Muslims who happen to speak Arabic; that's the point of the article I linked) gets you called an "Islamophobe", I think it's appropriate to question if there's anything a critic of Islam could possibly say that wouldn't get them called that.

And also if the word "Islamophobe" actually means anything at all beyond "I don't like you and want you to stop saying things."

I'm just going to leave this video here, to hopefully call anyone who reads this thread who can think to think about the words they choose to use and how they might be hurting their own cause. It's a video by an atheist, so it is most definitely not representative of "people like me".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

And islam is always an enemy of truth, of life, against the one true gospel of Jesus, and against (with deadly motives, purposes, intentions and force) all of the followers of Jesus.

• Agree
Reactions: Joyousperson
Upvote 0