• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

What is Jesus saying here?

Discussion in 'Non-denominational' started by tigersnare, Feb 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tigersnare

tigersnare Angry Young Calvinist

+23
    Calvinist
    Ok so John's disciples have just left Jesus, after John's doubts, Jesus then addresses the crowds and testifies about John, and says this....

"From the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven has suffered violence, and the violent take it by force"...(ESV, my new favorite translation)

Ok I could think of a couple different things, but none of which would be in the context of the previous and following verses....

:help:

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. II Paradox II

II Paradox II Oracle of the Obvious

+32
    Calvinist
    I don't have the book here with me, but you may want to order this book

It contains an interesting explanation of this passage from a jewish perspective that you may like. It covers quite a number of other difficult pasages as well...

ken

3. tigersnare

+23
    Calvinist
    Whoa, thanks for the link....

They kinda stir the pot, don't they?....Jesus spoke in Hebrew!?!?

That would change quite a few things up I would think.

4. Cathologetics

Cathologetics Peacemaker

+16
    Catholic
    You have the cite on that? It's real familiar. Is it when John the Baptist sent his disciples to question Jesus? As for meaning, I am hoping some of you smart people explain it before I scratch through my skull and hit my tiny little brain, cause I don't have a clue.

5. good4u

good4u <font color="darkblue"><font size="3"><b><i><font

+45
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Republican
    Actually, tigersnare, Jesus spoke in Aramaic, the common language of the people of Israel of that day. Tho' I believe he read Hebrew as he was asked to speak in the synagogue as he read from Scripture. But that is JMO. :)

6. good4u

good4u <font color="darkblue"><font size="3"><b><i><font

+45
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Republican
    I hope this is not too terribly off topic, but....

The film, "The Passion" is spoken in Aramaic (but subtitled in English, of course!) as well as Greek (or Latin?), the common langauge of the Romans.

Back to the topic at hand...

7. tigersnare

+23
    Calvinist
    Ummmm yeah, I believe he spoke in Aramaic as well......you would have to follow that link, read the reviews, and then read my post......

Basically the book tries to prove he spoke in hebrew.....

8. tigersnare

+23
    Calvinist
    Matthew 11:12 I believe.

9. sola fide

sola fide neo-Puritan

+6
    Calvinist
    Here's a sermon by Spurgeon on that text.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/tmp_dir/c/1076809144-188.html

" John was the Elijah sent by God to call men and women into the kingdom of the Messiah by repentance and faith, but he never saw the glorious deed of Christ on the cross nor did he see the glorious pouring out of the Spirit. To all of which, we are the beneficiaries.
    And so, the Lord Jesus says this in verse 12: “And from the days of John the Baptist until now, the kingdom of heaven suffers violence and violent men take it by force.” That is a very difficult passage to translate. Many good translators wrestle over just what it means. Many of you heard the great sermon that John Reed Miller preached on that text from this pulpit many years ago. It was called “Taking Heaven by Storm.” I think that Dr. Miller correctly translated that passage. When we read it as it reads now in The New American Standard, it seems as if the kingdom is being assaulted by violent men. Dr. Miller pointed out that the thrust of the passage is that men of courage and of vigor are embracing the truth of the kingdom.

Jesus' point is that the kingdom - we cannot take the kingdom and sleep. We cannot be indifferent about the kingdom. We must embrace the kingdom like John, a man of vigor. We must embrace the kingdom of God. The kingdom of God is not something that we can be blasé about, or apathetic about. The kingdom must be embraced. And, the Lord Jesus is saying in this generation there are people who are embracing the kingdom even while others are standing by and criticizing faithful men like John the Baptist. Their spirituality consists of complaining about what they don't like in the messenger and they're not exulting in the message of the kingdom of heaven. And, so, He's exhorting us to take heaven by storm - not that we can earn our salvation by works. Oh, no; it is by grace through faith alone. But, we must respond to the gospel and so enter into the kingdom. We cannot sleep our way into the kingdom. It demands action and commitment - response to the message of the gospel."

-Ligon Duncan
    www.fpcjackson.org
    Grace.

10. Henhouse

Henhouse Member

+5
    Pentecostal
    Maybe? because the Bible is sufficient for us today we can read this to mean that we should pray with fervency and power. Eph:6:12: For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.