California
✟9,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I love being around animals(specifically dogs) but I never had a pet growing up and have only lived with roommates who have had pets, but I have never taken care of one myself. I was thinking about adopting one in the future(idk when) so I was wondering if I could receive some words of advice or wisdom regarding this?

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,557.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
First of all, getting a pet is a lifestyle choice. If you get a dog, you need to understand that it will live with you for a long time. Dogs can live 10-15 years, with some living even longer. For their entire life, you will need to walk with them, excercise them, play with them and show them love. Every day. You also need to understand that you can't give them away once they are with you, because that would cause incredible suffering for them.

Doesn't matter if it's raining, snowing or hot outside. Doesn't matter if you're tired from work or feeling sick. Want to go on a vacation? Forget it unless you can find a dog pension or have good friends who'll help out.

They won't always be cute little puppys. They'll grow up and might be willfull or destroy stuff. They'll pee on the carpet. They might fight with other dogs. You'll need to be strict with them, show them the rules and that you're the boss. They'll be unwell too and will need to go to the vet. There might be operations, after which the dog will feel really sick for a week upwards and will require almost constant attention.

You will also come into conflict with other people because of them. Be prepared to contend with other dog owners that think they know better, people who are unhappy when your dog poops or pees where it shouldn't or just politely sniffs them when they're scared.

And you also need to realise that one day, because of age or sickness, you will need to face the fact that it's best to put them to sleep. It will be incredibly sad and heartbreaking, but you must be ready to stay with them until the end. Your dog needs you all their life, and especially during its final hours. You don't want to die alone, either.

And I'm telling you this as a dog owner who wouldn't trade the world for my own dog. Their love, playfullness and joy makes it all worthwhile. But only if you're prepared to go through the bad parts.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is much like having a child that never grows up. Whether it is a good or bad child will depend on how it is raised...... but it will always remain a child who needs to be fed, washed and changed/walked by you, until it passes.

• Winner
Reactions: Kentonio
Upvote 0

Hrairoo

Prayerfully Searching
Aug 30, 2020
New York
✟14,563.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I've owned both cats and dogs and love them equally, in different ways. Cats, depending upon age and personality, tend to be more aloof and independent. Even when they shadow you around the house, there is a serenity and calmness to them. Even still, when I make the comparison of having a dog being like having a two year old child, cats might not be so energetic but the responsibility is still like a child you have sired. I echo Nithavela in saying once you have one, it would be a really traumatic thing to then send them back or give them up. A dog or cat abandoned at an adoption center is still called a rescue, even if they didn't come from an abusive home.

Back to dogs, it is exactly like having a two year old child who never grows up. I've had a great dane, beagle, rottweiler, fox terrier, and it's pretty much the same across breeds. For the first 5-7 years, they're very "ON", very energetic, and all about you. It's not just shadowing you quietly, like a cat. It's following you everywhere and excited about what you're doing. If we're sitting together quietly for a bit, all I do is slightly move my leg and my dog will jump up from where he was laying, looking expectantly at me, ready for a walk. After a few years being with your companion, they'll calm down slightly but there is always this adoration and obsession for you as their owner.

But just like a kid, you have to play with them, discipline them about boundaries, then be firm and consistent, because just like a kid, they'll test you. I disciplined Colby about settling down in the house one time and I swear on my life, the dog moped dramatically and then looked over his shoulder at me to make sure I was watching.

And then you have breeds, for both cats and dogs, which bring in different needs, temperaments, diets, etc. You have to research and consider if there's breeds that would work for your area of the world and lifestyle. It's not just about which dog looks good in photos.

• Winner
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

JustRachel

He welcomed me back! <3
Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2007
Right here
✟325,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is a big job, but well worth it. We are older and our pets are like our kids. It isn't always easy. We have a dog who was just diagnosed with diabetes last month. Now we can't just drop him off with anyone and leave town. He needs us every moment and it's getting expensive to care for him. We have one other dog and a cat. These will be our last pets. They can make me smile and help lift me out of the worst mood.

Upvote 0

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We had cats and dogs and concur dogs are more work but excellent pets. Cats are also excellent pets for those with less time or just starting out. All of our cats and dogs are/were rescue animals. This means they are harder to train but once trained they feel greater love likely because they know what hunger and pain is and you brought them love.

Even after loosing many cats and dogs, we still always have one or the other, or both. Each animal gives us rich memories, one dog loved horses, another talked, one cat saved our lives, another meowed every time we needed to go to the bathroom. Each one is unique even if they are drawn from the same breeds.

Upvote 0

ChristianGirl_96

Jan 13, 2019
Epsom
✟131,109.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello

Which animals steal your heart? Be prepared for the extra responsibilities. It is a good idea to do research first.
For example if you are a cat lover, then find out about the processes involved in owning a cat. Cats are excellent house pets for those who need a low maintenance animal to care for.
Visit a pet shop, look at the animals on display, talk to the owner and make notes. This is a big life decision to have to make, so choose wisely the first time around.
Gather as much good information as you can possibly find online etc first. Go from there in narrowing down your options. Trust your gut too. A pet is not a toy.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I love being around animals(specifically dogs) but I never had a pet growing up and have only lived with roommates who have had pets, but I have never taken care of one myself. I was thinking about adopting one in the future(idk when) so I was wondering if I could receive some words of advice or wisdom regarding this?
You want to stick to "Companion breeds" that are less aggressive and smaller and treat the furniture well. I'd never heard of "Shih-tzu" but I highly recommend them. Seek out QUIET ones though. Cavalier King Charles can have awesome personalities but may have health issues.

The "Companion breeds" are attentive and small and not hard on the furniture. We have a backyard with the garage door cracked open and a pen inside, so the dogs can go for two days on their own. But that is because of experience that they are not noisy when alone. Mostly, you take the dogs with you when you travel. But boarding is more available now near the cities.

shih_tzu_body_image_2.jpg

King Charles
cavalier-king-charles-spaniel.jpg

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,441.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I have only ever owned one human. They can be extremely hard to train!

They are forever doing their business in the house and for the life of me i cannot get them to pee etc outside!

When i take them out for a walk, i got to keep on pulling them along. And trying to teach them to sniff gate posts etc is an uphill battle!

Upvote 0

Newsgurl

Always here to help
Apr 8, 2017
United States
✟23,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Pets are a joy to have but sometimes it’s hard work taking care of an animal. I’ve had pets since I was little but never took care of any until now. The food can get kind of expensive depending on what you feed it, but the reward of rescuing an animal from a shelter and giving it a home is priceless. They will always love you no matter what. :catface::dogface:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟687,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Pets are awesome, you do have to make certain you can afford one (vet bills such as spading/neutering, shots, regular flea treatments, regular check-ups) good food, toys, periodic treats...

You have to consider the type of pet also you will need one that fits with your lifestyle and personality..

A dog is far and away more time consuming than a cat is, and a large dog needs a lot more space to roam and run. Large dogs also eat tons more food...

A cat on the other hand is fine when your out of the house all day, but happy to love on you when you get home. They need less space, you don't have to take them on walks, and they need less food...

So lifestyle is an important consideration.

Also housing costs. If you rent instead of own many apartments and other rentals won't allow pets, and the ones who do generally are more expensive and require deposits and additional fees...

So if your a renter that's a must consider as you definitely end up with more limited options.

You also have to consider your own support system. If a family member dies and you have to go out of town, are you going to have someone trustworthy to look after them.

Training a dog also takes time and patience. Since you've never owned a pet you'll need to speak to several trainers, and utilize the services of one with your first dog. A well trained dog who is well loved will never ever urinate in your house or tear things up, but it goes to the quality of the training and the owner. Dogs with behavior issues usually have clueless owners who can't properly train their pet.

I recommend as a first animal you not getting a rescue dog, as they more often than not already have behavioral issues, and take a more experienced owner to help them overcome them.

Upvote 0