Illogical, irrational, reprobate
Oct 4, 2004
Lansing, MI
✟13,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I've been watching this forum for quite a while now and I can't get any clear sense of what Intelligent Design really is.

So...someone 'splain it?

I've two requests. One, please do not use scripture as support. Note my icon, I'm an atheist so scripture will not work as an explanation to me. Two, since I'm seeking an explanation of ID, please do not try to debunk evolution.

What I'm really interested in is what the tenents of ID.

Thanks.

~G~

Bible Defender

Jan 11, 2005
✟15,385.00
Faith
Calvinist
Politics
US-Republican
The universe was desinged by some sort of intelligent being. (*wink* ... GOD!)

That's what all the evidence points to, everything works way too well to have just popped out of nothingness and organized itself so there musta been some kinda intelligece in there.

Upvote 0

Talcos Stormweaver

Fighter of Ignorance!
Aug 13, 2003
Alabama
Visit site
✟890.00
Faith
Christian
Intelligent Design is, basically, the concept that there are things in this universe that are so complex that they could not be designed by "randomness" (of course, this is a false representation of what it goes against... mainly evolutionary theory).

Idiotic and deceptively manipulative, yes.

Take a website like this for example, that promotes it (to get a good idea about how the argument works)...

http://www.intelligentdesignnetwork.org/

Of course, my personal belief is that their goal of being objective while holding that everything was designed by an intelligent creator (namely God).

Of course, Intelligent Design is not exactly my field of expertise. I am sure someone more learned can fill you in on the specifics.

Reactions: Garnet2727
Upvote 0

Talcos Stormweaver

Fighter of Ignorance!
Aug 13, 2003
Alabama
Visit site
✟890.00
Faith
Christian
That's what all the evidence points to

What evidence?

, everything works way too well to have just popped out of nothingness and organized itself so there musta been some kinda intelligece in there.

I pray to God that you are not trying to draw a connection between the Big Bang, Abiogenesis, and then the Theory of Evolution all in one go...

Besides, might I add, an intelligent process is not necessarily the result of an intelligent design.

Upvote 0

Garnet2727

Oct 4, 2004
Lansing, MI
✟13,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Bible Defender said:
The universe was desinged by some sort of intelligent being. (*wink* ... GOD!)

That's what all the evidence points to, everything works way too well to have just popped out of nothingness and organized itself so there musta been some kinda intelligece in there.

Er...ok. So all ID is just goddidit. In other words, theology, not science.

Upvote 0

Talcos Stormweaver

Fighter of Ignorance!
Aug 13, 2003
Alabama
Visit site
✟890.00
Faith
Christian
O... NO the big bang is not part of evolution and NO spontaneos generation is NOT part of evolution... but you still need to beleive those things based on FAITH in a godless universe.

I for one have faith in God. However, faith is not needed to prove something that is needed to prove something that already has a basis in fact. Faith is an act without testable evidence, in short.

Upvote 0

Garnet2727

Oct 4, 2004
Lansing, MI
✟13,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the website Talcos.

From the website: http://www.intelligentdesignnetwork.org/

Positive evidence of design
in living systems consists of the semantic, meaningful or functional nature of biological information, the lack of any known law that can explain the sequence of symbols that carry the "messages," and statistical and experimental evidence that tends to rule out chance as a plausible explanation. Other evidence challenges the adequacy of natural or material causes to explain both the origin and diversity of life.

Fancier words for we can't explain it so Goddidit?

I don't mean to be snarky here, but the website refers to evidence, but does not provide any. They talk about scientific method and objectivity, but much of the site is devoted to changing standards of science education in Kansas.

:scratch:

I admit that is a cursory review and I'll spend more time there tomorrow.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Garnet2727

Oct 4, 2004
Lansing, MI
✟13,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
All..this thread is already getting snarky and it's been less than 15 minutes. I really want to know what ID proposes and other than a person that doesn't agree with ID, I'm getting a bunch of one line garbage.

I'm sincerely interested in the theory. Can someone lay it out?

Upvote 0
ID states that observation shows the natural world to be so complex and "fine-tuned" that it must have had a designer. They attempt to provide evidence for this, but it mostly boils down to:

IDer: Look at the flower. It shows design.
Other: How does it show design?
IDer: How can you not see the design inherent in the flower?
Other: How do you quantitatively determine design?
IDer: It's designed. Duh.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Garnet2727

Oct 4, 2004
Lansing, MI
✟13,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Bible Defender said:
Think about some pretty flowers...

You think that thought is the result of stawdust swirling around for 15 billion years? Theres no direct evidence but God or something else highly intelligent is the only good explanation since evolution theory failed.

Again...that is not evidence merely an assertion and a question. Please explain to me what the theory says. And also, you disregarded my request not to bring evolution into this. As it stands now all you are doing is showing silliness. Is that your intent? You have an opportunity here to explain ID and you are squandering it.

Upvote 0