What is God's Role in the Current Pandemic?

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So God cannot make sure that everyone can understand the most important question? How to be saved.

As far as I'm concerned from having studied the New Testament for 34 years, it's all 'clear enough' for me, and it's my opinion that anyone who cares enough to want to dig in and understand it, can----especially what with the availability of the field of Hermeneutics as it presently exists now in the 21st century.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So God cannot make sure that everyone can understand the most important question? How to be saved.

The answer is that "He can," but you have to be willing to be open to the answers and act within the epistemological confines of Jesus' revelation to the World. Otherwise, the Good Seed Sown by the Sower can die or be eradicated, as Jesus said through the Parable of the Sower.

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
As far as I'm concerned from having studied the New Testament for 34 years, it's all 'clear enough' for me, and it's my opinion that anyone who cares enough to want to dig in and understand it, can----especially what with the availability of the field of Hermeneutics as it presently exists now in the 21st century.
So again you show that the truth in the Bible has not and is not accessible for most of the human population. Why is your understanding correct and others who contradict your understanding incorrect? Even if I understand the bible how do I know it is from a God?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So again you show that the truth in the Bible has not and is not accessible for most of the human population. Why is your understanding correct and others who contradict your understanding incorrect? Even if I understand the bible how do I know it is from a God?

You don't get to just choose Direct Realism, couple it with Foundationalist epistemic expectations and make demands upon God to reveal Himself only and specifically in this way. Nope,...................ain't gonna happen!

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The answer is that "He can," but you have to be willing to be open to the answers and act within the epistemological confines of Jesus' revelation to the World. Otherwise, the Good Seed Sown by the Sower can die or be eradicated, as Jesus said through the Parable of the Sower.
You say he can but then you say there are circumstances where he cannot in the next sentence. Which is it?

You don't get to just choose Direct Realism, couple it with Foundationalist epistemic expectations and make demands upon God to reveal Himself only and specifically in this way. Nope,...................ain't gonna happen!
Why not? If He can't then He is not all that powerful. So God can only convince me He exists if I lower my epistemological standards, sounds like faith to me.

What demand am I making on God? The bible says if I seek I will find. The Bible says God wants me to be a believer. I am just asking for good evidence to believe. God should be able to show me what would convince me if he is half as powerful as the bible says He is.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You say he can but then you say there are circumstances where he cannot in the next sentence. Which is it?
Where did I say "He can't"? No, I didn't say that. If it wasn't clear then I'll try again. What I was intending to imply previously is that: HE WON'T! Not that He can't. But, there are some Christian philosophers who think God has difficulties in breaching our epistemic limits without also overriding our freewill. I'm not sure I agree with that view, but it's a possibility.

Why not? If He can't then He is not all that powerful. So God can only convince me He exists if I lower my epistemological standards, sounds like faith to me.

What demand am I making on God? The bible says if I seek I will find. The Bible says God wants me to be a believer. I am just asking for good evidence to believe. God should be able to show me what would convince me if he is half as powerful as the bible says He is.
Is this ALL that God/Jesus/Holy Spirit has said on these matters? I see that you're picking one or two points, but that one or two points isn't the WHOLE bible, altogether. And I don't think your version of 'seeking' is the kind of seeking Jesus had in mind. How do I know this? Well, you could start with the Parable of the Sower and then take into account what Jesus is reported to have told 'Doubting Thomas.'

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am not asking why bad things happen. I am asking if God has the power to stop bad things? Which you answered yes. If that is the case then I find God immoral. If you could cure someone fighting for their life from COVID-19 would you? I bet you would.

This is the same as God watching children being raped and doing nothing about it except eternal punishment for the rapist after the child has suffered immensely, but wait, no punishment if the rapist chooses Jesus. That is a sick person that would act this way but you will give God a pass, why?

If I had the power to stop every child rape I would and I bet you would too.

He IS ... IS ... IS .... going to end all this madness.

and God doesn't punish anyone for eternity .... after final judgement He will destroy all unrepentant sinners for eternity .... never to exist again.

All the terrible things that go on are not caused by God .... an enemy has done this (satan) ... our entire world is in a fallen state.

It's NOT about this world ...... it's about the next one!

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It's what all of those things really mean that's open to interpretation. All we have are models and approximations, which really isn't the sort of stuff I would consider sturdy knowledge. Honestly, the whole concept of "knowledge" is deeply problematic when applied to anything that you don't have direct, infallible knowledge of in the first place.
Too much like Descartes; cogito ad absurdum for me, where there's only one single legit unit of knowledge. Plus, its still an open question whether the math in some of our models is merely descriptive or is in some way an actual feature of reality - and so more than "just a model". Plus your standard of knowledge ignores knowledge of how to do stuff, which has definitely proven durable.

....But now you seem to be arguing simultaneously that there are too many answers and people are just making things up as they go along (i.e., that theology is too liberal), and that theology doesn't change enough and is too conservative! ^_^
No I never said religion was too liberal. It was an observation, not a judgement. I prefer that religions evolve.

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Where did I say "He can't"? No, I didn't say that. If it wasn't clear then I'll try again. What I was intending to imply previously is that: HE WON'T! Not that He can't. But, there are some Christian philosophers who think God has difficulties in breaching our epistemic limits without also overriding our freewill. I'm not sure I agree with that view, but it's a possibility.
If he can and won't then I will say I have better ethics/morals than God. Especially when he won't give us a reason why he won't. If I could stop people from dying from COVID then I would, I bet you would too.

Is this ALL that God/Jesus/Holy Spirit has said on these matters? I see that you're picking one or two points, but that one or two points isn't the WHOLE bible, altogether. And I don't think your version of 'seeking' is the kind of seeking Jesus had in mind. How do I know this? Well, you could start with the Parable of the Sower and then take into account what Jesus is reported to have told 'Doubting Thomas.'
Then what does the Bible say about seeking god if I got it wrong?

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
He IS ... IS ... IS .... going to end all this madness.
In the mean time children are being raped and COVID is killing people around the world etc. while God watches and does nothing.

and God doesn't punish anyone for eternity .... after final judgement He will destroy all unrepentant sinners for eternity .... never to exist again.

All the terrible things that go on are not caused by God .... an enemy has done this (satan) ... our entire world is in a fallen state.
Why do you believe this? This is just an assertion/preaching unless you can back it up with evidence.

It's NOT about this world ...... it's about the next one!
And this is a huge problem with Christianity. Because you believe this you are OK with God letting terrible tings happen to people in this life. Children being raped is nothing compared to what they will experience in the afterlife so it is OK that God does not stop it. I don't believe in a afterlife so that makes my life here important to me. I don't want to waste it so I take it seriously. Many Christians like Mother Theresa think suffering is good. That is what religion can do to you, make you believe and defend bad things. Like that quote says, "Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." Steven Weinberg.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Occams Barber
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If he can and won't then I will say I have better ethics/morals than God. Especially when he won't give us a reason why he won't. If I could stop people from dying from COVID then I would, I bet you would too.

Y'know, I realize that you're disgruntled against the Christian faith for various reasons, and some of the reasons for being so disgruntled I can very much sympathize with, like the fact that your wife has struggled with health issues for some time. I know that's tough, especially after you've prayed so many times and for so long that nothing more positive seems to happen.

Then what does the Bible say about seeking god if I got it wrong?
... well, an answer to this is reflected in Jesus' commentary surrounding the Parable of the Sower, and it is briefly touched upon in the Letter from James. So, you and I need to ask ourselves: in what way do these spiritual principles affect the epistemic expectations that I bring to the table as I wrestle with the whole concept of Jesus Christ, God and Existence?

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In the mean time children are being raped and COVID is killing people around the world etc. while God watches and does nothing.

Why do you believe this? This is just an assertion/preaching unless you can back it up with evidence.

And this is a huge problem with Christianity. Because you believe this you are OK with God letting terrible tings happen to people in this life. Children being raped is nothing compared to what they will experience in the afterlife so it is OK that God does not stop it. I don't believe in a afterlife so that makes my life here important to me. I don't want to waste it so I take it seriously. Many Christians like Mother Theresa think suffering is good. That is what religion can do to you, make you believe and defend bad things. Like that quote says, "Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." Steven Weinberg.

No ... what we know is all the terrible things in this world are caused by satan along with him deceiving/controlling people (from all walks of life) into doing diabolical things.

Much of what you state ... is NOT what every christian believes nor is it biblical.

There are many false teachings out there about God ... and you are lumping teaching and beliefs that are not necessarily accepted by the christian community as a whole.

Your understanding of the character of God is severely warped ... not surprising since you don't believe in God anyways.

We don't defend bad things. We understand that we live in a fallen world and bad things are going to happen because of sin in the world ... and we are made aware of that though His word.

so ... tell me ... you being an atheist ... what is your explanation for all the horrible things that go on in the world? Why does mankind behave the way they do? Are we just a bunch of animals acting like animals? What is the resolution for it? How does humanity solve it?

Children being raped is nothing compared to what they will experience in the afterlife so it is OK that God does not stop it.

This statement is pure baloney. This is your thinking of what you think other people think.

I don't believe in a afterlife so that makes my life here important to me.

Sorry to hear this .... and all life is important

I pray that the Lord will open your heart and mind to the truth about Him.

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No ... what we know is all the terrible things in this world are caused by satan along with him deceiving/controlling people (from all walks of life) into doing diabolical things.
Can God not stop Satan from doing these things?

Much of what you state ... is NOT what every christian believes nor is it biblical.

There are many false teachings out there about God ... and you are lumping teaching and beliefs that are not necessarily accepted by the christian community as a whole.
Why won't god clear this up. It is very important.

Your understanding of the character of God is severely warped ... not surprising since you don't believe in God anyways.
What did I say that is untrue? God can stop child rape but chooses not to. Is this not true?

We don't defend bad things. We understand that we live in a fallen world and bad things are going to happen because of sin in the world ... and we are made aware of that though His word.

so ... tell me ... you being an atheist ... what is your explanation for all the horrible things that go on in the world? Why does mankind behave the way they do? Are we just a bunch of animals acting like animals? What is the resolution for it? How does humanity solve it?
The explanation is that there are good and bad people out there doing good and bad things. We solve it by reason and evidence. But when most of the population believes things without good that allows them to do bad things (religion) makes it harder for us humanists.

This statement is pure baloney. This is your thinking of what you think other people think.
No, I have heard Christians say this.

Sorry to hear this .... and all life is important

I pray that the Lord will open your heart and mind to the truth about Him.
No need to be sorry. Show me sufficient evidence that there is an afterlife and I will have to believe it. Do you have any?

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Can God not stop Satan from doing these things?

Why won't god clear this up. It is very important.

What did I say that is untrue? God can stop child rape but chooses not to. Is this not true?

The explanation is that there are good and bad people out there doing good and bad things. We solve it by reason and evidence. But when most of the population believes things without good that allows them to do bad things (religion) makes it harder for us humanists.

No need to be sorry. Show me sufficient evidence that there is an afterlife and I will have to believe it. Do you have any?

Not ALL Christians believe what you are putting forth.

I pray some day you will come to know the Lord as he really is.

We solve it by reason and evidence.

What are the reasons and evidence that will resolve all the bad in the world? How is it obtained?

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Too much like Descartes; cogito ad absurdum for me, where there's only one single legit unit of knowledge. Plus, its still an open question whether the math in some of our models is merely descriptive or is in some way an actual feature of reality - and so more than "just a model". Plus your standard of knowledge ignores knowledge of how to do stuff, which has definitely proven durable.

I agree that a lot of this stuff is still an open question. But that is precisely my point--the fact that there are open questions doesn't in any way imply that people are just making things up as they go along.

No I never said religion was too liberal. It was an observation, not a judgement. I prefer that religions evolve.

You said you were frustrated that people had all sorts of different responses to things. That's not normally a feature of a religion that's too conservative. ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Y'know, I realize that you're disgruntled against the Christian faith for various reasons, and some of the reasons for being so disgruntled I can very much sympathize with, like the fact that your wife has struggled with health issues for some time. I know that's tough, especially after you've prayed so many times and for so long that nothing more positive seems to happen.
No, I am not disgruntled against the Christian faith. I don't believe there is sufficient evidence to believe it is true. This is an attempt to not answer my questions about the morality of God. Would you stop child rape and people dying from COVID if you could?

... well, an answer to this is reflected in Jesus' commentary surrounding the Parable of the Sower, and it is briefly touched upon in the Letter from James. So, you and I need to ask ourselves: in what way do these spiritual principles affect the epistemic expectations that I bring to the table as I wrestle with the whole concept of Jesus Christ, God and Existence?
What does the Bible say about seeking God then?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, I am not disgruntled against the Christian faith. I don't believe there is sufficient evidence to believe it is true. This is an attempt to not answer my questions about the morality of God. Would you stop child rape and people dying from COVID if you could?
Sure, I'd do my best to if I had the power to. But, I'm not sure why you don't recognize that sometimes these things, these seemingly nihilistic social and natural calamities, can be a result of God's Judgment upon a society, or even upon the world. This is one reason I've said that at least SOME forms of evil have to open to being 'counted' as forms of EVIDENCE FOR the Bible.

What does the Bible say about seeking God then?
... it says that you need to do so with positive expectations and a humble and contrite spirit. And then, you can pray for wisdom, and in some way or other, God will impart it to you. And wisdom very often enables one to have insight into a few of the mysteries of life that haunt us.

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Not ALL Christians believe what you are putting forth.

I pray some day you will come to know the Lord as he really is.
This is my point. Why doesn't God clear this up? It is God's fault that there is confusion. If a class of algebra students all had different interpretations of what the teacher said about sets for example, wouldn't the teacher be at fault for not being clear?

What are the reasons and evidence that will resolve all the bad in the world? How is it obtained?
I don't know, there may not be an answer for everything. But we need to have real conversations so we can determine what is best going forward. We don't have that in the US because of our political "leaders" are a bunch of children and some religious people are dogmatic on moral issues. For example, the issue of gay marriage was opposed by many Americans not based on any reasoned argument but based on the Bible. This hinders actual progress for our society. There are not enough humanists to be able to make much change. I am not saying there are answers for everything but we can do better with reason and evidence based decisions.

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Sure, I'd do my best to if I had the power to. But, I'm not sure why you don't recognize that sometimes these things, these seemingly nihilistic social and natural calamities, can be a result of God's Judgment upon a society, or even upon the world. This is one reason I've said that at least SOME forms of evil have to open to being 'counted' as forms of EVIDENCE FOR the Bible.
So you think that God will punish the world with this calamity? Wow, that is a jerk of a God. And no, evil is not good evidence that the bible is true, it is good evidence that god is immoral.

... it says that you need to do so with positive expectations and a humble and contrite spirit. And then, you can pray for wisdom, and in some way or other, God will impart it to you. And wisdom very often enables one to have insight into a few of the mysteries of life that haunt us.
What are your references for this belief?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So you think that God will punish the world with this calamity? Wow, that is a jerk of a God. And no, evil is not good evidence that the bible is true, it is good evidence that god is immoral.
Uh, no. We've touched upon some of this conversational tangent in that Human Rights thread I've had going. You're overshooting your conclusions via a lack of rational study. You need to do some more homework, time permitting.

What are your references for this belief?
... I gave you some above. Did you not read them to refresh your memory? I'm assuming that since you've said you're conversant with the contents of the whole Bible that I don't need to further explain this stuff to you, Clizby. Either you're really and fully conversant with the Bible, or you're not. Which is it?

Upvote 0