Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2011
Lake Conroe
✟179,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I grew up a Naturalist. One who understands that all things happening around us can be explained by natural causes and effects. Through natural processes. Without any need of a God to explain or bring about the Cosmos, Earth, and events on Earth.

I went on to major in geology in college.

But after meeting God I learned I was wrong about many things. My learning had to start all over again, "from the top", from what He says not man.

Most never break clear of leaning on their own understanding and following men. Both idolatry.

Although I learned a lot of science of how this Earth is old, even billions of years old, by meeting Him this was subject to what He said.

Yes, God has mysteries, and mysteries by true definition is beyond human possibility to apprehend or understand through their fleshly efforts.

So I bring a question: what is the purpose of Naturalism, that is so easily and prevalently understood by many? Why did God bring about Naturalism?

Last edited:
Reactions: Winken

Heissonear

Geochemist and Stratigrapher
Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2011
Lake Conroe
✟179,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Naturalism is seeing the world through science. That a natural realm which exists can explain what we observe; we can determine cause and effect without need of higher life. We live in a natural realm and have inherited a natural life.

naturalism2-5-638.jpg

Upvote 0

Daydream Island

Christian
Jun 14, 2016
Sydney
✟11,002.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Naturalism is seeing the world through science. That a natural realm which exists can explain what we observe; we can determine cause and effect without need of higher life. We live in a natural realm and have inherited a natural life.

View attachment 190492

Science isn't contrary to God.. It isn't God vs science (since God created it xD).
We as humans don't understand everything and that's frustrating for our minds... our minds has this impulse to want to understand everything around us instantaneously.. And the mind refuses to believe what it cannot understand, that is why we must choose to believe.
When I was a super new Christian there was sooo many questions and little battles going in my mind about what I was thought in school.. parents, teachers..
This life is a life lived by faith not by sight. There is no way to please God without faith (the belief of things unseen, not understood).

Would you be patient and say to yourself and to God 'I don't understand this right now, how it works, the how and the why but You do and You know, I have faith and beleive as you had said 'all will be revealed in time' I know your timing is perfect; I will move on and not stop my walk of faith because I've stumbled in front of a road block' (that's what I was doing when I had an issue with not understanding the why and how of the science & God 'situation' as a new believer)

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Heissonear
Upvote 0

Heissonear

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2011
Lake Conroe
✟179,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Science isn't contrary to God.. It isn't God vs science (since God created it xD).
We as humans don't understand everything and that's frustrating for our minds... our minds has this impulse to want to understand everything around us instantaneously.. And the mind refuses to believe what it cannot understand, that is why we must choose to believe.
When I was a super new Christian there was sooo many questions and little battles going in my mind about what I was thought in school.. parents, teachers..
This life is a life lived by faith not by sight. There is no way to please God without faith (the belief of things unseen, not understood).

Would you be patient and say to yourself and to God 'I don't understand this right now, how it works, the how and the why but You do and You know, I have faith and beleive as you had said 'all will be revealed in time' I know your timing is perfect; I will move on and not stop my walk of faith because I've stumbled in front of a road block' (that's what I was doing when I had an issue with not understanding the why and how of the science & God 'situation' as a new believer)
"Science isn't contrary to God" is not the thread topic.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Well, there are two kinds of naturalism. Metaphysical naturalism holds that the natural world is all there is. Methodological naturalism holds that the natural world is all we can study scientifically, because we haven't the tools to do anything more.

Which one are you asking about?

Upvote 0

Heissonear

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2011
Lake Conroe
✟179,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And the mind refuses to believe what it cannot understand, .......... Would you be patient and say to yourself and to God 'I don't understand this right now, how it works, the how and the why but You do and You know, I have faith and beleive as you had said 'all will be revealed in time' I know your timing is perfect; I will move on and not stop my walk of faith because I've stumbled in front of a road block' (that's what I was doing when I had an issue with not understanding the why and how of the science & God 'situation' as a new believer)
This latter part of your post is very important. I call it putting things on a shelf until God shows or confirms it to you. Until then you do not know. We are that dependent on Him on what we are to learn and know. God Bless!

Upvote 0

Heissonear

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2011
Lake Conroe
✟179,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, there are two kinds of naturalism. Metaphysical naturalism holds that the natural world is all there is. Methodological naturalism holds that the natural world is all we can study scientifically, because we haven't the tools to do anything more.

Which one are you asking about?
No need to get philosophical. The physical realm shows from past to present natural processes explain how things are the way they are.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟372,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Speaking as a naturalist, (of the metaphysical variety) I can honestly say that I have never connected with any kind of supernatural or spiritual beliefs. In my 65 years, I've never had a religious experience. Even as a child--and I had some of the usual Bible school--I always thought, deep down, that religion was little more than made-up fairy tales. I don't believe that I'm any more intelligent than religious believers. I think my brain just processes information differently. (I believe there is some data suggesting that non-religious people see the world differently than others.) People like me are drawn to scientific disciplines. I was always fascinated with biology, and learning about the mechanisms of living things. I'm not a scientist, but my entire career has been in health care. And medicine is an applied science.

But I've also never felt any unusual emotional anguish, or lack of fulfillment. Actually, my life has been quite happy and satisfying, and far less traumatic than that of many other people I know. So who knows?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I grew up a Naturalist. One who understands that all things happening around us can be explained by natural causes and effects. Through natural processes. Without any need of a God to explain or bring about the Cosmos, Earth, and events on Earth.

I went on to major in geology in college.

But after meeting God I learned I was wrong about many things. My learning had to start all over again, "from the top", from what He says not man.

Most never break clear of leaning on their own understanding and following men. Both idolatry.

Although I learned a lot of science of how this Earth is old, even billions of years old, by meeting Him this was subject to what He said.

Yes, God has mysteries, and mysteries by true definition is beyond human possibility to apprehend or understand through their fleshly efforts.

So I bring a question: what is the purpose of Naturalism, that is so easily and prevalently understood by many? Why did God bring about Naturalism?
Powerful insights, Brother.

Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
But after meeting God
[...]
Why not simply ask God the next time you meet him?

Upvote 0

TagliatelliMonster

Sep 22, 2016
Brugge
✟66,672.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
No need to get philosophical. The physical realm shows from past to present natural processes explain how things are the way they are.

Don't dodge @Speedwell's excellent point...
There is a HUGE difference between metaphysical and methodological naturalism and from what I read, that difference seems hugely relevant to the thread topic.

I, for example, subscribe to methodological naturalism - eventhough I don't subscribe to it dogmatically.

If tomorrow science discovers the supernatural and develops the tools necessary to gauge it, great.

Until that time, methodological naturalism seems perfectly reasonable for scientific investigation.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,905,485.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My guess is that that is where God buried all His treasures.

Proverbs 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.

In other words, it is within His creation that we find a cure for cancer, AIDS, and whatnot.

Even the keys to creature comforts are buried in the earth.

• Agree
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,905,485.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know I will take a lot of persecution for my Young Earth position on this thread.

So be it, while in time.
God bless you for your testimony!

Thanks for sharing it! :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,905,485.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Don't dodge @Speedwell's excellent point...
There is a HUGE difference between metaphysical and methodological naturalism and from what I read, that difference seems hugely relevant to the thread topic.
I was assuming he was talking about methodological naturalism, where the existence of God is not a prerequisite for discovery.

Matthew 5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

However, metaphysical naturalism is right around the corner!

Luke 19:40 And he answered and said unto them, I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,549.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I know I will take a lot of persecution for my Young Earth position on this thread.

So be it, while in time.
It's not persecution, it's disagreement.

• Agree
Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0