✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hello all,

I have some questions as there seems to be confusion on the purpose of God's grace. Of course God's Grace is a free gift by God to mankind in Christ and his death on the cross for our sins. There is nothing that we can do to earn it as the scriptures teach it is God's gift to mankind because he loves us and sending his only begotten son that whosoever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life *John 3:16 and as the scriptures teach we are saved by grace through faith and not of ourselves and not of works lest any man should boast according to Ephesians 2:8-9.

The Questions I am proposing in this OP is...

Q1. WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF GOD'S GRACE OR WHAT IS GOD'S GRACE FOR?

Q2. CAN WE HAVE GOD'S GRACE WITHOUT GOD'S LAW?
Q3. WHERE DOES GOD'S GRACE LEAD US?

(the above questions when linked are answered but what are your thoughts?)

I will start of by providing my view from the scriptures in regards to Q1.

Grace is linked to mercy and peace from God the father and from JESUS in love and truth for obedience to the faith.

2 JOHN 1:3 [3] GRACE be with you, MERCY, and PEACE, from God the Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, in truth and love.

ROMANS 1:5 [5], By whom we have received GRACE and apostleship, FOR OBEDIENCE TO THE FAITH among all nations, for his name.

We are to grow in God's GRACE and the KNOWLEDGE of our LORD JESUS CHRIST.

2 PETER 3:18 But GROW IN GRACE, AND IN THE KNOWLEDGE OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen. *2 PETER 1:2

We do this by seeking JESUS to be our teacher and continuing in God's WORD.

JOHN 14:26 [26], But the Comforter, which is the HOLY GHOST, WHOM THE FATHER WILL SEND IN MY NAME, HE SHALL TEACH YOU ALL THINGS, AND BRING ALL THINGS TO YOUR REMEMBRANCE, WHATEVER I HAVE SAID TO YOU.

JOHN 8:31-36
[31], Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, IF YOU CONTINUE IN MY WORD, THEN ARE YOU MY DISCIPLES INDEED;
[32], And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
[33], They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how say you, You shall be made free?
[34], JESUS ANSWERED THEM, TRULY, TRULY, I SAY TO YOU, WHOEVER COMMITS SIN IS THE SERVANT OF SIN.
[35], And the servant stays not in the house for ever: but the Son stays ever.
[36], IF THE SON THEREFORE SHALL MAKE YOU FREE, YOU SHALL BE FREE INDEED.

TITUS 2:11-12 [11], FOR THE GRACE OF GOD HAS APPEARED BRINGING SALVATION TO ALL MEN, [12], TEACHING US, THAT, DENYING UNGODLINESS AND WORLDLY LUSTS, WE SHOULD LIVE SOBERLY, RIGHTOUESLY AND GODLY IN THIS PRESENT WORLD

ROMANS 6:1-2, [1] What shall we say then? SHALL WE SIN [break any one of God's 10 commandments], THAT GRACE MAY ABOUND? GOD FORBID. [2], How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

ROMANS 6:15-17 What then? SHALL WE SIN BECAUSE WE ARE NOT UNDER LAW BUT UNDER GRACE? GOD FORBID! [16] Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of SIN RESULTING IN DEATH, or of OBEDIENCE resulting in righteousness?

ROMANS 3:31 [31], Do we then make void the law through faith? GOD FORBID: YES, WE ESTABLISH THE LAW.

God's GRACE is given to us because all of us have sinned and are sinners (broken God's 10 Commandments) and the wages of SIN is death *ROMANS 3:23; ROMANS 5:12; ROMANS 6:23.

ROMANS 8:3-4
[3], For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: [4], THAT THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF THE LAW MIGHT BE FULFILLED IN US WHO WALK NOT AFTER THE FLESH BUT AFTER THE SPIRIT.

WORD MEANINGS OF GRACE

GRACE GREEK WORD
χάρις; charis khar'-ece From G5463; graciousness (as gratifying), of manner or act abstract or concrete; literal, figurative or spiritual; especially the divine influence upon the heart, and its reflection in the life; including gratitude): - acceptable, benefit, favour, gift, grace (-ious), joy liberality, pleasure, thank (-s, -worthy).

GRACE HEBREW WORD
חן; chên khane From H2603; graciousness, that is, subjectively kindness, favor or objectively (beauty): - favor, grace (-ious), pleasant, precious, [well-] favored.

CONCLUSION: Grace is unmerited favor leading to a change of behavior. God's GRACE IS FOR OBEDIENCE to the faith (God's Word) in those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW it to save us from our sins and the penalty of sin (death) and our sinful nature through our LORD JESUS CHRIST!

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,426.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
CONCLUSION: Grace is unmerited favor leading to a change of behavior. God's GRACE IS FOR OBEDIENCE to the faith (God's Word) in those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW it to save us from our sins and the penalty of sin (death) and our sinful nature through our LORD JESUS CHRIST!

So faith is a gift like grace - and the two combined result in obedience?

Where does unbelief in a believer fit in ???

Can we frustrate God's Grace?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It’s earned by obedience. Got it.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hello Carl,
So faith is a gift like grace - and the two combined result in obedience?
That is what God's Word says. God's grace is for obedience to the faith. God's salvation is from sin not to continue in known unrepentant sin according to the scriptures in *John 8:31:36; Romans 6:1-23; 1 John 3:6-9; 1 John 2:3-4.
Where does unbelief in a believer fit in ???
A believer is not an unbeliever.

God's grace is a free gift that we receive through faith. If we do not believe God's Word then there is no grace for obedience to the faith because whatsoever is not of faith is sin according to the scriptures (Romans 14:23) and without faith it is impossible to please God (Hebrews 11:6). According to Paul faith does not abolish God's law it establishes Gods' law in Romans 3:31.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Q1. WHAT IS GRACE FOR?
2 Corinthians 9:8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you,
always having all sufficiency in all, may have an abundance for every good work.

The Grace of God is His abundant provision and all sufficiency for every good work.
It is not simply the beginning of Faith that brings Salvation, is the Finishing touches
that brings us to perfection together in Christ. I have come to comprehend the long-
suffering necessary for others to bear with me in love. Until we all do, we weaken the
bond of Peace.

Ephesians 4:
1 I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling
with which
you were called,
2 with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another
in love,
3 endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
A kind of "leading" question, eh?
Galatians 2:21 I do not set aside[frustrate in KJV] the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain.
Paul had something very specific in mind when he wrote this, however I have found that it is
broadly applicable to any type of ritualistic religious behavior if it weakens our liberty in
Christ and a living relationship with The Lord.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You get obedience if you believe and follow.
If we truly believe God's Word we will follow what Gods' Word says. This is the fruit of faith (James 2:17-26).
2 Corinthians 9:8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you,
always having all sufficiency in all, may have an abundance for every good work.

The Grace of God is His abundant provision and all sufficiency for every good work.
It is not simply the beginning of Faith that brings Salvation, is the Finishing touches
that brings us to perfection together in Christ. I have come to comprehend the long-
suffering necessary for others to bear with me in love. Until we all do, we weaken the
bond of Peace.

Ephesians 4:
1 I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling
with which
you were called,
2 with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another
in love,
3 endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

Good scriptures, thanks MM. :)

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Q3. WHERE DOES GOD'S GRACE LEAD
his name.
In Acts 15 Paul pleaded the Gentile believers should not be circumcised and should not be made to bear the full burden of the law. It was noted the law is taught in synagogues for those who would want to make a study of it. Some key points were recommended:

Acts 15:19 (WEB) Therefore my judgment is that we don’t trouble those from among the Gentiles who turn to God, 20 but that we write to them that they abstain from the pollution of idols, from sexual immorality, from what is strangled, and from blood. 21 For Moses from generations of old has in every city those who preach him, being read in the synagogues every Sabbath.”

There are laws against sexual immorality in Deuteronomy. A Christian is not supposed to do premarital sex. Prostitution and homosexuality are offenses. Lust, inappropriate content and adultery are forbidden. Divorce and remarriage is the result of sin.

The Romans also had laws against murder and theft.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
In Acts 15 Paul pleaded the Gentile believers should not be circumcised and should not be made to bear the full burden of the law. It was noted the law is taught in synagogues for those who would want to make a study of it. Some key points were recommended:

Acts 15:19 (WEB) Therefore my judgment is that we don’t trouble those from among the Gentiles who turn to God, 20 but that we write to them that they abstain from the pollution of idols, from sexual immorality, from what is strangled, and from blood. 21 For Moses from generations of old has in every city those who preach him, being read in the synagogues every Sabbath.”

There are laws against sexual immorality in Deuteronomy. A Christian is not supposed to do premarital sex. Prostitution and homosexuality are offenses. Lust, inappropriate content and adultery are forbidden. Divorce and remarriage is the result of sin.

The Romans also had laws against murder and theft.

Hi dqhall nice to see you. Are you saying here that Gentile believers can lie, steal and murder while using God's name in vain? Did you know all of Gods' 10 commandments are repeated in the new covenant as a requirement for Christian living?

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello all,

I have some questions as there seems to be confusion on the purpose of God's grace.
Grace is favor. That word covers a lot of territory.
Of course God's Grace is a free gift by God to mankind in Christ and his death on the cross for our sins. There is nothing that we can do to earn it as the scriptures teach it is God's gift to mankind because he loves us and sending his only begotten son that whosoever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life *John 3:16 and as the scriptures teach we are saved by grace through faith and not of ourselves and not of works lest any man should boast according to Ephesians 2:8-9.

Q1. WHAT IS GRACE FOR?

Grace is linked to mercy and peace from God the farther and from JESUS in love and truth for obedience to the faith.

2 JOHN 1:3 [3] GRACE be with you, MERCY, and PEACE, from God the Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, in truth and love.
ROMANS 1:5 [5], By whom we have received GRACE and apostleship, FOR OBEDIENCE TO THE FAITH among all nations, for his name.
Well, Paul's grace is not given to the nations.
So that would be: grace and apostleship to call people from the Gentiles to the obedience that comes from faith.
Grace here is power and equipment for ministry.

2 PETER 3:18 But GROW IN GRACE, AND IN THE KNOWLEDGE OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen. *2 PETER 1:2
Grace here is the effect of grace: the state of grace.
JOHN 14:26 [26], But the Comforter, which is the HOLY GHOST, WHOM THE FATHER WILL SEND IN MY NAME, HE SHALL TEACH YOU ALL THINGS, AND BRING ALL THINGS TO YOUR REMEMBRANCE, WHATEVER I HAVE SAID TO YOU.

[31], Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, IF YOU CONTINUE IN MY WORD, THEN ARE YOU MY DISCIPLES INDEED;
[33], They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how say you, You shall be made free?
[34], JESUS ANSWERED THEM, TRULY, TRULY, I SAY TO YOU, WHOEVER COMMITS SIN IS THE SERVANT OF SIN.
[36], IF THE SON THEREFORE SHALL MAKE YOU FREE, YOU SHALL BE FREE INDEED
TITUS 2:11-12 [11], FOR THE GRACE OF GOD HAS APPEARED BRINGING SALVATION TO ALL MEN, [12], TEACHING US, THAT, DENYING UNGODLINESS AND WORLDLY LUSTS, WE SHOULD LIVE SOBERLY, RIGHTOUESLY AND GODLY IN THIS PRESENT WORLD
Grace here is the effect of grace.
ROMANS 6:1-2, [1] What shall we say then? SHALL WE SIN [break any one of God's 10 commandments], THAT GRACE MAY ABOUND? GOD FORBID. [2], How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
ROMANS 6:15-17 What then? SHALL WE SIN BECAUSE WE ARE NOT UNDER LAW BUT UNDER GRACE? GOD FORBID! [16] Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of SIN RESULTING IN DEATH, or of OBEDIENCE resulting in righteousness?
Grace here is set in contrast to sin and law.
ROMANS 3:31 [31], Do we then make void the law through faith? GOD FORBID: YES, WE ESTABLISH THE LAW.
We establish the law in our sanctification in the Holy Spiit through obedience.

God's GRACE is given to us because all of us have sinned and are sinners (broken God's 10 Commandments) and the wages of SIN is death *ROMANS 3:23; ROMANS 5:12; ROMANS 6:23.

[3], For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: [4], THAT THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF THE LAW MIGHT BE FULFILLED IN US WHO WALK NOT AFTER THE FLESH BUT AFTER THE SPIRIT.

WORD MEANINGS OF GRACE

GRACE GREEK WORD
χάρις; charis khar'-ece From G5463; graciousness (as gratifying), of manner or act abstract or concrete; literal, figurative or spiritual; especially the divine influence upon the heart, and its reflection in the life; including gratitude): - acceptable, benefit, favour, gift, grace (-ious), joy liberality, pleasure, thank (-s, -worthy).

GRACE HEBREW WORD
חן; chên khane From H2603; graciousness, that is, subjectively kindness, favor or objectively (beauty): - favor, grace (-ious), pleasant, precious, [well-] favored.

CONCLUSION: Grace is unmerited favor leading to a change of behavior.
Grace is also God's redemptive mercy and the whole plan of salvation.
God's GRACE IS FOR OBEDIENCE to the faith (God's Word) in those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW it to save us from our sins and the penalty of sin (death)
The obedience of faith does not save, we are saved by faith, apart from works (Ephesians 2:8-9).
and our sinful nature through our LORD JESUS CHRIST!
Our sinful nature is with us until death, but it is dealt a mighty blow in the new birth.

We are saved to be holy --
"Without holiness, no one will see the Lord." (Hebrews 12:14)--
in the process of sanctification in the Holy Spirit through obedience to Jesus' law (Matthew 22:37-41), which actually expands the Decalogue to pro-active practice, and raises the standard to the level of our commitment to our own well-being.

The OT Decalogue is inadequate in the NT.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The obedience of faith does not save, we are saved by faith, apart from works (Ephesians 2:8-9). Our sinful nature is with us until death, but it is dealt a mighty blow in the new birth
No one said anywhere that obedience to God's law saves us. All God's law does is to give us the knowledge of what sin is when we break it *Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4 and if we break anyone of Gods 10 commandments according to James we stand guilty before God of sin in James 2:10-11. According to the scriptures we are saved by grace through faith and not of ourselves it is a gift of God and not of works lest any man should boast *Ephesians 2:8-9 but Gods grace is so we can be obedient to the faith *Romans 1:5. Obedience to God's Law is not how we are saved it is the FRUIT of faith of one that is already been given Gods promise of salvation and the fruit of God's work in us *Philippians 2:13 as we believe and follow his word *John 10:26-27. If our faith has no fruit it is dead *James 2:18-20; 26 and our tree will be cast down and thrown into the fire *Matthew 3:10; 7:19-20; 13:49-50; Hebrews 10:26-27. Therefore we do not abolish God's law through faith like some people teach but God's law is established in the heart by faith that works by love *Romans 3:31; 1 John 5:3-4; Romans 13:8-10. According to the scriptures, sin (breaking God' commandments and not believing and following God's Word) is the difference between the children of God and the children of the devil *1 John 3:6-10; 1 John 2:3-4; Revelation 12:17; Revelation 14:12; Revelation 22:14.
We are saved to be holy -- "Without holiness, no one will see the Lord." (Hebrews 12:14)-- in the process of sanctification in the Holy Spirit through obedience to Jesus' law (Matthew 22:37-41), which actually expands the Decalogue to pro-active practice, and raises the standard to the level of our commitment to our own well-being.

Agreed, Matthew 5. Holiness means to be in agreement with Gods' Word not against it and not disobedient to God's Word which is the standard of all holiness. If holiness is not from the inside out all we have is the righteousness of the Scribes and the Pharisees which is like dead mans bones. Jesus came to magnify the law and make it honorable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God's GRACE IS FOR OBEDIENCE to the faith (God's Word) in those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW it to save us from our sins and the penalty of sin (death)
The obedience of faith does not save, we are saved by faith, apart from works (Ephesians 2:8-9).
and our sinful nature through our LORD JESUS CHRIST!
Our sinful nature is with us until death, but it is dealt a mighty blow in the new birth.

in the process of sanctification in the Holy Spirit through obedience to Jesus' law (Matthew 22:37-41), which actually enlarges the Decalogue in practice and standard: to pro-active practice, and raises the standard to the level of our commitment to our own well-being.

The OT Decalogue is inadequate in the NT.
No one said anywhere that obedience to God's law saves us.
Did you mean to say that "God's grace is for the obedience of faith, which faith saves us from our sins and the penalty of sin"?

I understand it better if you respond specifically to the points I made.
All God's law does is to give us the knowledge of what sin is when we break it *Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4 and if we break anyone of Gods 10 commandments according to James we stand guilty before God of sin in James 2:10-11. According to the scriptures we are saved by grace through faith and not of ourselves it is a gift of God and not of works lest any man should boast *Ephesians 2:8-9 but Gods grace is so we can be obedient to the faith *Romans 1:5. Obedience to God's Law is not how we are saved it is the FRUIT of faith of one that is already been given Gods promise of salvation and the fruit of God's work in us *Philippians 2:13 as we believe and follow his word *John 10:26-27. If our faith has no fruit it is dead *James 2:18-20; 26 and our tree will be cast down and thrown into the fire *Matthew 3:10; 7:19-20; 13:49-50; Hebrews 10:26-27. Therefore we do not abolish God's law through faith like some people teach but God's law is established in the heart by faith that works by love *Romans 3:31; 1 John 5:3-4; Romans 13:8-10. According to the scriptures, sin (breaking God' commandments and not believing and following God's Word) is the difference between the children of God and the children of the devil *1 John 3:6-10; 1 John 2:3-4; Revelation 12:17; Revelation 14:12; Revelation 22:14.

Agreed, Matthew 5.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Not hard, I responded specifically to the points you made adding clarification to what was posted to you in the OP. What was it there that you disagree with?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not hard, I responded specifically to the points you made adding clarification to what was posted to you in the OP. What was it there that you disagree with?
Nothing, I think.

See post #14, I've edited it some.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟902,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello all,

I have some questions as there seems to be confusion on the purpose of God's grace. Of course God's Grace is a free gift by God to mankind in Christ and his death on the cross for our sins. There is nothing that we can do to earn it as the scriptures teach it is God's gift to mankind because he loves us and sending his only begotten son that whosoever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life *John 3:16 and as the scriptures teach we are saved by grace through faith and not of ourselves and not of works lest any man should boast according to Ephesians 2:8-9.

Q1. WHAT IS GRACE FOR?

Grace is linked to mercy and peace from God the farther and from JESUS in love and truth for obedience to the faith.

[36], IF THE SON THEREFORE SHALL MAKE YOU FREE, YOU SHALL BE FREE INDEED.

WORD MEANINGS OF GRACE

GRACE GREEK WORD

GRACE HEBREW WORD

Hope this helps.
Grace=Love.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

in the process of sanctification in the Holy Spirit through obedience to Jesus' law (Matthew 22:37-41), which actually expands the Decalogue to pro-active practice, and raises the standard to the level of our commitment to our own well-being.

Edit: Did you mean to say that "God's grace is for the obedience of faith, which faith saves us from our sins and the penalty of sin"?

See post 13 linked. This post is only repetition of your first one after you edited it after I had responded to it. No one has ever said anywhere that we are saved by obedience to the faith. Obedience is of course the fruit of faith while grace is for obedience to the faith according to Romans 1:5.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟902,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Absolutely Maria good answer. Is love separate from obedience to Gods law under the new covenant?
Love is the essence of obedience. Law is bondage with no love.
Be blessed.

Upvote 0