Not open for further replies.

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"The power of acting without the constraint of necessity or fate; the ability to act at one's own discretion." This definition however does not exclude that under some circumstances one's motivation to choose is dictated by external circumstance or by forces outside of one's control.

Paul

Upvote 0

Skala

I'm a Saint. Not because of me, but because of Him
Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
"The power of acting without the constraint of necessity or fate; the ability to act at one's own discretion." This definition however does not exclude that under some circumstances one's motivation to choose is dictated by external circumstance or by forces outside of one's control.

Paul

Can you put that in layman's terms. Explain it to me like I'm 5 years old.

Upvote 0
G

guuila

Paul

Are you able to stop sinning completely?

Upvote 0

singpeace

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2009
U.S.
✟40,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
As a monergist, I frequently spend my time speaking with synergists about this thing called "free will". They insist that we have free will. Most of the time, I have no idea what they mean by free will. Can a synergist kindly explain to me what free will is?

It appears to me; according to Scripture, that man does indeed play a part in his own salvation through having faith as seen in the following verses.

Mark 16:16
16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Acts 2:38
38 And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 22:16
And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name.

Luke 13:3
No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.

John 8:24
I told you that you would die in your sins, for unless you believe that I am he you will die in your sins.”

John 3:36
Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.

Galatians 3:27
For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Romans 10:11-13
For the Scripture says, “Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.” For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Romans 10:8-10
But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith that we proclaim); because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.

John 10:31
But these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

Luke 10:25-28
And behold, a lawyer stood up to put him to the test, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?” He said to him, “What is written in the Law? How do you read it?” And he answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.” And he said to him, “You have answered correctly; do this, and you will live.”

Matthew 24:12-13
And because lawlessness will be increased, the love of many will grow cold. But the one who endures to the end will be saved.

Matthew 3:8
Bear fruit in keeping with repentance.

Isaiah 55:6-7
“Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sing of Peace...don't let Griff scare you away...some of his side has listed scriptures as well in similar threads (and even insisted we address all of them one at a time), it is perfectly legitimate to interpret scriptures that speak of people having to act one way or the other...or even God or a Prophet telling the people to choose between two options, as support for your view. Griff is just trying to stack the deck in his favor. For example he would not see a command to repent or else, to indicate free-will because he is of the theological opinion that one cannot repent unless God makes them do so (and in some cases this may even be true...)...so hang in there sis...

In His love

Paul

Upvote 0
G

guuila

Sing of Peace...don't let Griff scare you away...some of his side has listed scriptures as well in similar threads

So am I guilty by association or something? I challenge you to find a post where I've dumped a ton of verses like that.

Griff is just trying to stack the deck in his favor. For example he would not see a command to repent or else, to indicate free-will because he is of the theological opinion that one cannot repent unless God makes them do so (and in some cases this may even be true...)...so hang in there sis...

In His love

Paul

What is your problem? Why do you think you have the right to tell people what I believe? Have I not treated you fairly?

Upvote 0

Skala

I'm a Saint. Not because of me, but because of Him
Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Only if you explain what having no free will is, in terms a 5 year old will understand...

Oh, I believe in free will, when defined a certain way. So the onus is on you to defend your definition of free will (you're the synergist which is who the thread is aimed at)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
C

crimsonleaf

Are you? One has nothing to do with the other.

Paul

I'll try and help you out. You either sin because you will to sin; it is your desire, or you sin despite your will to do otherwise, which means you can have all the free will in the world but cannot apply your will to your actions. It's really simple.

So, do you sin because you want to, or despite the fact that you don't want to?

Upvote 0

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You said free will is "The power of acting without the constraint of necessity..." and I'm assuming you believe in free will per your definition.

So I ask you. Do you still sin from constraint of necessity? Or are you able to stop sinning completely?

Constraint of necessity just means one is not forced (knowingly or unknowingly) but as I said, in some cases circumstance or even some external force may drive them to a particular choice. And I strive with all my heart not to sin but I am not perfect.

Also, I do have a right to say what you yourself have said on occasion. You do believe that a person cannot repent of their own free will (cooperate with God and obey unless already born of His Spirit). Am I correct and if not please explain?

Thanks

Paul

Upvote 0

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Originally Posted by pshun2404 View Post
Sing of Peace...don't let Griff scare you away...some of his side has listed scriptures as well in similar threads
So am I guilty by association or something? I challenge you to find a post where I've dumped a ton of verses like that.

Indeed you have not. That is why I said "some on his side" only why did you not discourage them from this also? No need to answer that, the question was rhetorical.

Paul

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.