Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ah we are talking apples and oranges then.

I was checking to see if it was suggested as inappropriate to petition God, or to give him honor. It seems strange to suggest we ought to treat Him as we would a chair.

I think maybe we easily misunderstand one another and I wouldn't want that. Peace to you.

God is worthy honor and even all unbelievers will kneel before him , only because he said so , not that his enemies want to but they have no choice in God's presence.

But that does not require faith , look for example when Jesus was captured as prisoner to go to court , he said I AM HE and they felt off like something knocked them backwards , only because Christ said so , they didn't have faith nor believed that he is Christ , but by mentioning his name they were kocked away from his presence .

The chair is obviously analogy just like bread of life or water which make you never thirst again.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Very often "faith" is explained in terms of mental gymnastics where you convince yourself to believe something (a very implausible something). This doesn't translate well to skeptics or non-believers.

And it would be faith in our ability to mentally believe.

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Very often "faith" is explained in terms of mental gymnastics where you convince yourself to believe something (a very implausible something). This doesn't translate well to skeptics or non-believers.

And it would be faith in our ability to mentally believe.

Faith is gift from God . Also there is faith and blind faith , our faith is based on evidence of prophecy , apostle's faith was based on evidence of seeing Christ resurrected , we have no such privilage .

Upvote 0

PaulCyp1

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2018
Massachusetts
✟239,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Faith is the acceptance of what was said, on the reliability of the one(s) who said it. Which is why Jesus Christ promised the ONE Church He founded "The Holy Spirit will guide you into ALL truth" and "Whatsoever you bind upon Earth is bound in Heaven", and "He who hears you hearts Me". Of course these promises are meaningful only to those who trust in the Bible.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,519.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  1. Faith is about the things we believe
  2. Faith is about the things we do
  3. Faith is about the things we believe and the things we do
Which statement best fits what Faith is?

Faith is a thing. It's not a "concept," it's not a belief, it's a palpable, substantive thing.

The ancient Greeks discovered air, realizing that wind is not something that comes from somewhere and goes somewhere, and that breath is not something generated within the body, but that wind and breath are the evidence of air that they could not see, even though it constantly surrounded them.

Faith is not something unpalpable, faith is the palpable evidence of things that are not palpable. Like wind, it is the evidence of something unseen.

That's why the writer of Hebrews used hard terminology to define faith, not conceptual terminology.

Faith is the substance of things hoped for. For instance I might hope to win the powerball lottery, but the substance (a palpable thing) of that hope is the lottery ticket in my hand. Without that lottery ticket, there would not be a substance for my hope to win the lottery.

Faith is the evidence of things not seen. A forensic scientist walks into a kitchen. He sees a bloody knife, he sees blood spatters on the wall. He collects four pints of blood from the floor and determines in the lab that all the blood came from a single individual.

Therefore, he concludes that a murder has occurred and there is a dead body somewhere. He doesn't see a dead body, but he has evidence of a dead body.

By "substance" and "evidence" the writer of Hebrews is saying as forcefully as he can, using hard words and then doubling down on it, that he's referring to a palpable thing, not a concept or a belief. Faith is the palpable thing that is the supporting evidence discernible within us of that which we do not otherwise discern.

Because of faith, we know there is heaven, because of faith we know there is Christ.

If you have faith, you know you have it because you can feel it like you can feel the wind blowing on you, and you know it is something you did not have before.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Faith is the substance of things hoped for. For instance I might hope to win the powerball lottery, but the substance (a palpable thing) of that hope is the lottery ticket in my hand. Without that lottery ticket, there would not be a substance for my hope to win the lottery.

Are you saying that there has to be a physical ticket in your hand, in order for that substance to be real?

Or is Faith, the envisioning of the ticket in your heart, to where it actually exists in your possession, even though it does not actually in a physical form?

Rom 4:23
2) For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.
3) For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

Rom 4:19-23
19) And being not weak in faith, he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sara's womb:
20) He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;
21) And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.
22) And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness.

Through Faith, Abraham had the possession of a promised son by God, 10 years before the son was actually born into his presence physically.

The story about Abraham's Faith is, the graphic example of the written definition, of what faith is.

Heb. 11:1
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
  3. Faith is about the things we believe and the things we do.................
Faith is a deep conviction concerning something we want but have yet to see. Having that conviction results in the assurance that God will reward our faith as He said He would and do what He has promised to do - namely whatever we believe and say will take place.

Therefore - number 3 is the best answer of the choices provided for us - believe (inwardly) and say (or outwardly do).

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,519.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying that there has to be a physical ticket in your hand, in order for that substance to be real?

I repeated numerous times: Faith is a palpable thing.

My point, and surely the point of the writer of Hebrews, is that faith is not a mere concept, but is something that makes its presence clear and undeniable, something a person can be confident that he has, with no doubt or question.

That's what "substance" and "evidence" mean--it's what you know you have, and what you know you have gives you foundation for hope and reason to believe in what you don't see.

• Agree
Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Number 3.

Faith is both a noun: Things we believe
and a verb: Things we do

Upvote 0

Karl dinis

Aug 7, 2018
Queensland
✟8,002.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single

I hope this will help....

A very beautiful verse in Hebrews 11:1 states what faith is ‘Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.’

One of the few things that stand in the way of our strong relationship with God, a spiritual bean that we cannot physically see or understand, is a lack of faith. As you grow more in your personal walk with God, understanding more of the love God has for you. Your faith in result with growing as well.

Even the devil and demons believe in God. But their actions are quite different from the actions of a Christian believer.

One our faith is growing more and more, we must back that by the things we do. James 1:22-23 says we must be doers of the word. Its one thing to stay inside and read the bible growing your relationship with God, but it’s a completely different thing to get out and show your faith by the things you do and learn.

James 2: 14-26 talks about faith and works. And how faith without works is dead. If you have a deep passionate desire for something, a natural response is to show and tell family and friends. Same with a relationship with God. If you have a strong desire and faith in God, a natural and sensible action would be to show it.

Conclusion; we must have trust, confidence and belief in the all mighty powerful God. A result of growing in faith, allows one to make a bold decision in life. Allows one to make a decision that might not come to past straight away, and can’t see the direct result of the decisions coming to past in the present moment. God wants us to walk by faith and not by sight. Because there are many things that we can’t understand and put the pieces together, that’s why it’s important to have faith and trust that God is in the presence of all things.

Upvote 0