Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Tolstoy said:
"Faith is a knowledge of the meaning of human life, the consequences of which is that man does not kill himself, but lives. Faith is the force of life. If a man lives, then he must believe in something...Without faith it is impossible to live." (from his book A Confession )

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
"I shall not seek the explanation of everything. I know that the explanation of all things, like the origin of all things, must remain a secret of eternity." (Tolstoy, A Confession )

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Faith is putting your trust into something other than yourself, something you may not fully understand or can explain, but something that brings you HOPE.
A Buddhist might say " I put my faith in Buddha and his teachings. He brings me hope that I can reach nirvana one day if I follow his advice.

Upvote 0

DarthNeo

Oct 7, 2016
Tampa, FL
✟20,882.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
A Buddhist might say " I put my faith in Buddha and his teachings. He brings me hope that I can reach nirvana one day if I follow his advice.

You asked what faith is, NOT what Christian faith is...grin.

Reactions: Saint Beloved
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
You asked what faith is, NOT what Christian faith is...grin.
I know. I was just clarifying what you meant. I think Tolstoy was referring to Christian faith.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
If a man lives, then he must believe in something.
(If Tolstoy is not referring to Christian faith only):
What about the man who pursues wealth all his life, wealth and status? Their faith in earthly success alone. Faith in the "self-made man" philosophy". "Its all about winning the game of life" mentality. These people have a faith in this life and they might feel like the winners of it. They want to live for as long as possible and are far from suicidal. But I guess they try and keep their mind off what "might" happen after they die.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,720.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
To me, faith is something you believe to be absolutely real.
(If Tolstoy is not referring to Christian faith only):
What about the man who pursues wealth all his life, wealth and status? Their faith in earthly success alone. Faith in the "self-made man" philosophy". "Its all about winning the game of life" mentality. These people have a faith in this life and they might feel like the winners of it. They want to live for as long as possible and are far from suicidal. But I guess they try and keep their mind off what "might" happen after they die.

That is faith too....

I guess the real question is, where you put your faith.

I certainly don't want to have faith in cancer----the very thing our world has become.

Honestly, I think about money and how things are a lot easier with money. Let's be honest about it, if we didn't care about money or life in this world, we wouldn't be doing anything to have more financial stability like getting education, fighting the way up the corporate ladder, establishing connections, working really hard to please...

But to me, it's not good. I do it because I have no choice, we live in an evil world. I God sees me as unworthy, then so be it. If I did everything I could, I wouldn't be here, I'd be doing what the saints and prophets have been doing for thousands of years because that's where eternal life is, not this life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Tolstoy said:
"Faith is a knowledge of the meaning of human life, the consequences of which is that man does not kill himself, but lives. Faith is the force of life. If a man lives, then he must believe in something...Without faith it is impossible to live." (from his book A Confession )

Faith is Trust...

A Christian must Trust God...
Faith is not what you believe..
It is about Who you believe..

Who do you place your Trust in?

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
um hint? let me think, a leading figure in America let's say,........ how's that?
Ok i understand...
Well good for you never trust in humans they can fail you and lead you into destruction.. Love them, forgive them, hope for them, but never trust them..

Invest all your trusting in God, :) He will not let you down..:D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Ok i understand...
Well good for you never trust in humans they can fail you and lead you into destruction.. Love them, forgive them, hope for them, but never trust them..

Invest all your trusting in God, :) He will not let you down..:D

I'm just concerned about having that approach to other human beings. There is a saying that "he who doesn't trust is untrustworthy himself".
I mean my boss trusts me to do a good job and I haven't let her down so far. If I didn't trust my partner, my marriage would surely falter. People have to trust each other to some extent. otherwise they'd need secret cameras and private investigators to "big brother" us all the time. :)

Reactions: Saint Beloved
Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm just concerned about having that approach to other human beings. There is a saying that "he who doesn't trust is untrustworthy himself".
I mean my boss trusts me to do a good job and I haven't let her down so far. If I didn't trust my partner, my marriage would surely falter. People have to trust each other to some extent. otherwise they's need secret cameras and private investigators to "big brother" us all the time. :)

"""""he who doesn't trust is untrustworthy himself""""" And i bet this saying was coined by a man ??? Am i right or am I right?? :D

In normal life with other humans we have to act in a trusting manor to others for practical purposes.. But we should never trust people 100%, that's just asking to get yourself used and abused.. The most damaging aspect is the mental emotional impact when someone you trust lets you down... The greatest damage can only be done by people who you respect and love and trust ..

A Mother can hurt her child more grievously then any stranger..

So yeah for practical purposes we have to depend on others for the things in life we need to obtain through them.. But if we always know in the back of our minds that at any time we can have this trust betrayed then we will not be so emotionally or spiritually devastated when that happens.. So my way is a protective cautionary policy that works...

In the case of religious life there are a lot of people who trust 100% in a certain preacher or pastor or pope or reverend or some guru or some religious guy they admire on the internet forum.. This is very dangerous for these people to trust in anything so and so says in relation to God and his will.. I have seen more then one person devastated in their faith because their faith was in a TV preacher who ended up being exposed for corruption in one form or another.. I sometimes see people coming online to talk about how the people at their church where mean and unjust to them and thats why they where no longer a Christian..

Once a person holds up another person to be an infallible authority on all things religious.. They are making that person effectively their LORD and Messiah... They are setting themselves up for deception and a fall..

That's why i always stress the importance of trusting only in God and not in any human being..

• Informative
Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Faith is putting your trust into something other than yourself, something you may not fully understand or can explain, but something that brings you HOPE.

I have always thought of Faith to be what we believe or know that we have not seen; what we have not experienced.

Most of what we believe or know of history and science for instance is based on faith that what we have been told is true.

We believe or know Aristotle existed not because we met him or knew him, but we have faith that what is written about him is reasonably accurate.

We believe or know that there is a space station up there, not because we have seen it with our own eyes or been there ourselves, but because we are confident--we have faith--that the photos and recordings and all that we know of the space station was not manufactured as some giant hoax.

We believe or know that there is 400 degrees difference between light and shadow on the moon not because we have experienced it or measured it ourselves, but we have faith that those who have witnessed it and/or determined it are reporting truth.

We believe or know that Jesus, God in human form, walked the Earth not because we were there with him, but because we have faith that what is written about him is true and the truth of what is written about him has changed us in mysterious ways.

Reactions: DarthNeo
Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Tolstoy said:

The Charles Blondin story is a good illustration of faith. Not only was he a fascinating man, but the story of his pushing a wheelbarrow across Niagara Falls is one in which kids as well as adults can identify the difference between mere belief (head knowledge) and true faith (belief in action; heart knowledge).

Can you imagine a tightrope stretched over a quarter of a mile and spanning the breadth of Niagara Falls? The thundering sound of the pounding water drowning out all other sounds as you watch a man step onto the rope and walk across!

This stunning feat made Charles Blondin famous in the summer of 1859. He walked 160 feet above the falls several times back and forth between Canada and the United States as huge crowds on both sides looked on with shock and awe. Once he crossed in a sack, once on stilts, another time on a bicycle, and once he even carried a stove and cooked an omelet!

On July 15, Blondin walked backward across the tightrope to Canada and returned pushing a wheelbarrow.

The Blondin story is told that it was after pushing a wheelbarrow across while blindfolded that Blondin asked for some audience participation. The crowds had watched and "Ooooohed" and "Aaaaahed!" He had proven that he could do it; of that, there was no doubt. But now he was asking for a volunteer to get into the wheelbarrow and take a ride across the Falls with him!

It is said that he asked his audience, "Do you believe I can carry a person across in this wheelbarrow?" Of course the crowd shouted that yes, they believed!

It was then that Blondin posed the question - "Who will get in the wheelbarrow?'

Of course...none did.

This story of Charles Blondin paints a real life picture of what faith actually is. The crowd had watched his daring feats. They said they believed, but their actions proved they truly didn't.

It’s one thing to believe a man can walk across by himself. It’s another thing to believe he could safely carry you across. But it’s something else entirely to get into the wheelbarrow yourself. As well, it's one thing for us to say we believe in God. It's true faith though, when we believe God and put our faith and trust in His Son, Jesus Christ.

And don't worry, Jesus has carried many people safely across the great divide, and he has never lost anyone yet. You can trust in him!

Upvote 0