JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
>>What is faith? Does everyone have it? How does one get it?

Romans 12:3b God has dealt to each one a measure of faith.

God give everyone a measure of Faith, but they have to use what they have been given. If they use it, God will give them more, but if they do not use it, then what they have been given will be taken away and given to another.

Faith is a gift and a fruit. The seeds for fruit are within it. So in order to reproduce the fruit in others, a person must have the fruit in themselves.

So, what is Faith? It is a work of the Holy Spirit of God in us. Does everyone have it? Yes God gives everyone a measure of faith, if they use it, they get saved, if they do not use the faith they are give, if they use doubt and unbelief instead, then they will perish. How does one get faith? Simply by not resisting God, yielding to Him to allow His Holy Spirit to do a work of salvation and restoration in our lives.

Now is the time and today is the day of salvation. This is the moment of time God wants to do a work in us. Not at some time in the future, but this very moment of time we are in right now.

Upvote 0

RayNay714

Worshiper and Seeker
Feb 19, 2002
Kentucky
Visit site
✟807.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen. I love the gift of Faith that God has given us. I am a true believer in coming to God with childlike Faith! If we could only trust and believe and not question God. I feel that he has so much to tell us, yet we don't always believe because we have limited our faith. God is a big God and can do things that we can't even imagine. If we had the faith of a child who believes in things they don't understand, i.e. the theory of relativity. The fact that there is gravity, the feeling of the wind, the next breath they breathe. If we would only come to God with that faith, we would be able to understand so much more. Faith is something that we all have, but it is up to each of us to use it.

Upvote 0

AngelAmidala

Legend
Feb 1, 2002
New York
Visit site
✟51,421.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
One way I've thought of faith was kind of explained like this on Touched By An Angel. I forget the exact wording Tess (Della Reese) used, but it was something similar.

Faith is like a gymnast on the uneven bars. The gymnast does flips and turns on one bar, then jumps to the other bar. It is in that moment when the gymnast is holding on to neither bar where faith is shown. The gymnast has faith that the other bar will be caught. Just as we too must have faith...when we let go of something secure and are going toward something else, we must have faith that God will be with us and will help us get to that other place (or other bar) safely.

I should look up exactly how I said it in the sermon I did on faith. :) I think I made it more confusing then it needed to be! ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

StogusMaximus

Feb 5, 2002
Visit site
✟4,841.00
Faith
Protestant
AngelAmidala,

I like your example. How about the test of faith that was in the Movie Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Where he had to take a step in faith.

For those not familiar. Indy was on a ledge and the treasure was across a huge bottomless gorge. He had to take a leap of faith to get across to the treasure. So he stepped off the ledge and landed on an invisible walkway.

I was very nervous watching that scene. I tried to put myself in that place, and I could not and I don't think I could today, but I am working on it.

To have faith in God is the same thing you have to not rely on what you can see, or what you know or what you can do, but to trust completely in God. You have to step off the ledge and trust that God will get you to the other side.

Upvote 0

Rob

Feb 25, 2002
Visit site
✟320.00
Faith is the confident expectation that God will do what He has said He will do. Faith is accepting Gods statement as clear evidence of what we do not yet see. However faith is not blind. Faith is based on what we know about God. Living by faith will affect every part of our lives, from our families, to our workplaces,to our involvement in church. Faith is a way of God. God chooses to work in and through a person who believes Him, trusts Him and obeys Him..... a person of faith.

Hebrews 11(NIV)

By Faith

1Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. 2This is what the ancients were commended for.
3By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible. 4By faith Abel offered God a better sacrifice than Cain did. By faith he was commended as a righteous man, when God spoke well of his offerings. And by faith he still speaks, even though he is dead.
5By faith Enoch was taken from this life, so that he did not experience death; he could not be found, because God had taken him away. For before he was taken, he was commended as one who pleased God. 6And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
7By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that comes by faith.
8By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going. 9By faith he made his home in the promised land like a stranger in a foreign country; he lived in tents, as did Isaac and Jacob, who were heirs with him of the same promise. 10For he was looking forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God.
11By faith Abraham, even though he was past age--and Sarah herself was barren--was enabled to become a father because he[1] considered him faithful who had made the promise. 12And so from this one man, and he as good as dead, came descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as countless as the sand on the seashore.
13All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance. And they admitted that they were aliens and strangers on earth. 14People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own. 15If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return. 16Instead, they were longing for a better country--a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them.
17By faith Abraham, when God tested him, offered Isaac as a sacrifice. He who had received the promises was about to sacrifice his one and only son, 18even though God had said to him, "It is through Isaac that your offspring[2] will be reckoned."[3] 19Abraham reasoned that God could raise the dead, and figuratively speaking, he did receive Isaac back from death.
20By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau in regard to their future.
21By faith Jacob, when he was dying, blessed each of Joseph's sons, and worshiped as he leaned on the top of his staff.
22By faith Joseph, when his end was near, spoke about the exodus of the Israelites from Egypt and gave instructions about his bones.
23By faith Moses' parents hid him for three months after he was born, because they saw he was no ordinary child, and they were not afraid of the king's edict.
24By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be known as the son of Pharaoh's daughter. 25He chose to be mistreated along with the people of God rather than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a short time. 26He regarded disgrace for the sake of Christ as of greater value than the treasures of Egypt, because he was looking ahead to his reward. 27By faith he left Egypt, not fearing the king's anger; he persevered because he saw him who is invisible. 28By faith he kept the Passover and the sprinkling of blood, so that the destroyer of the firstborn would not touch the firstborn of Israel.
29By faith the people passed through the Red Sea[4] as on dry land; but when the Egyptians tried to do so, they were drowned.
30By faith the walls of Jericho fell, after the people had marched around them for seven days.
31By faith the prostitute Rahab, because she welcomed the spies, was not killed with those who were disobedient.[5]
32And what more shall I say? I do not have time to tell about Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David, Samuel and the prophets, 33who through faith conquered kingdoms, administered justice, and gained what was promised; who shut the mouths of lions, 34quenched the fury of the flames, and escaped the edge of the sword; whose weakness was turned to strength; and who became powerful in battle and routed foreign armies. 35Women received back their dead, raised to life again. Others were tortured and refused to be released, so that they might gain a better resurrection. 36Some faced jeers and flogging, while still others were chained and put in prison. 37They were stoned[6] ; they were sawed in two; they were put to death by the sword. They went about in sheepskins and goatskins, destitute, persecuted and mistreated-- 38the world was not worthy of them. They wandered in deserts and mountains, and in caves and holes in the ground.
39These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised. 40God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Droobie
What is faith? Does everyone have it? How does one get it?
To talk of religion in a casual way, to pray without soul hunger and living faith, avails nothing. A nominal faith in Christ, which accepts Him merely as the Saviour of the world, can never bring healing to the soul. The faith that is unto salvation is not a mere intellectual assent to the truth. He who waits for entire knowledge before he will exercise faith, cannot receive blessing from God. It is not enough to believe about Christ; we must believe in Him. The only faith that will benefit us is that which embraces Him as a personal Saviour; which appropriates His merits to ourselves. Many hold faith as an opinion. Saving faith is a transaction by which those who receive Christ join themselves in covenant relation with God. Genuine faith is life. A living faith means an increase of vigor, a confiding trust, by which the soul becomes a conquering power.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

patriarch

Mar 6, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟1,052.00
Faith
Catholic
When you see the glory of a beautiful sunset, or the beauty of nature generally, does not that awaken in your heart the realization that someone very good must have created all this? So then, you are a believer!

And yet, there are also challenges to your belief, such as evil in the world, so doubts arise. What to do?

Do this: exercise the little bit of belief that you have. "Lord, I believe, help my unbelief..."

This was such a great realization for me, that that is the way to pray when my faith seems weak. It is an act of trust. How do you grow your muscles? By exercising them. The same with faith, though it is a gift of God at the same time. Exercise what little faith you have, as much as you can.

If you had a little boy or girl who was always saying to you, "I love you, Mommy, I believe in you," what would your relationship be with that child? And we have a Father in heaven who can give us an increase of faith in His goodness and love for us, who can lead us into deeper truths requiring more faith, and then give us the faith to believe in them.

And so it keeps getting better and better, world without end, but it is faith every step of the way..

Upvote 0

edjones

Jan 15, 2002
✟1,549.00
Romans 1:17
For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Romans 3:25
Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

Luke 7:50
And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.

Acts 20:21
Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Romans 3:28
Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

Romans 10:17
So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Galatians 3:26
For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

2 Timothy 3:15
And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

Hebrews 11:6
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by edjones
Hebrews 11
1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

This means We Christians are that evidence...

As Abraham was the evidence and Jacob was evidence. I think its true also, the evidence in our hearts that God is truly alive shows when a non-believer feels condemned for his sins...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.