What is expected of you in a Russian Orthodox service?

Kameaux

May 11, 2021
Berlin
✟10,652.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Since i've lost faith in Protestantism and have concluded Eastern Orthodoxy to be the most authentic form of Christianity in the present age, i've been considering attending the services of a Russian Orthodox church i've discovered being active in my city. For the last couple of months i've been reading many books about early Orthodox theology and have listened to many lectures on the subject. However, having no church-going experience outside of Protestant Sunday services, but simultaneously not wanting to stand out, i'd like to ask; what is expected of a person attending an Orthodox service that wants to completely blend in with the rest of the worshippers?

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I wouldn't worry about blending in. just go and soak in the experience. I'd say check out a service on YouTube so you can see what it's like.

let us know how it goes!

Upvote 0

Lawrence87

Jan 23, 2021
No
✟32,311.00
Country
Western Sahara
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I wouldn't worry too much about blending in, no one will expect you to know what to do when you first go in, and you aren't going to be expected to venerate the icons, and cross yourself and all that stuff if you are just an inquirer and it's your first time. It took me a few weeks of observing to pick up when to cross myself and all that stuff. Wear comfortable shoes as you'll be standing for a while. If you are a lady some churches prefer if you cover your head when inside, but again this probably wouldn't be expected if it's your very first time. And whether male or female dress modestly.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I recommend checking out whether the service or or is not held in English. I’m part of the Orthodox Church of America - and all our services are in English despite our origins with the Russian Orthodox Church.

Upvote 0

Lawrence87

Jan 23, 2021
No
✟32,311.00
Country
Western Sahara
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for the informative replies, everyone. In the meantime i've been able to find some recordings of live-streams of the parish in my city and consequently know what to expect.

Hope you have a blessed experience. God be with you

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Don't wear a shirt with swears on it or do jumping jacks during the service. If you just pick a spot and chill, you'll be fine (as long as you didn't randomly choose like a high-traffic spot).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Most OCA will assume you haven't been there in a long time and will commune you without question.

as an OCA priest, I can say this isn't true.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
as an OCA priest, I can say this isn't true.
Well, as an OCA priest, you've been around the block more than a few times so I'm not sure why you can't acknowledge the stereotype is often true, specifically in the North East (which isn't that where you're located, right?)

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, as an OCA priest, you've been around the block more than a few times so I'm not sure why you can't acknowledge the stereotype is often true, specifically in the North East (which isn't that where you're located, right?)
I'm not a priest, but that certainly wasn't what happened at either of my OCA parishes. I've never heard of anything like this.

And at my ROCOR parish, the first time I went to Liturgy, no one knew me, I confessed and answered a couple questions and they communed me. I was prepared and the priest did ask a question or two, so it was normal, but they didn't ask to see my passport or any certificates.

So where is this sterotype from?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

because it's not a stereotype I have seen or was taught. so I don't acknowledge it because I think it's untrue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
because it's not a stereotype I have seen or was taught. so I don't acknowledge it because I think it's untrue.
I suppose you think its untrue that there are several OCA parishes that commune homosexuals as well and that there are unrepentant Origenists within the OCA ranks, including a Bishop (this is not an accusation, the former is based upon firsthand knowledge including a priest who is a personal friend who left the OCA), and the latter from the written and spoken statements of that Bishop.

I think when we don't admit these things, they are neither fixed nor are people mentally prepared if they come across it.

For what it is worth, I think my OCA Bishop is great and that during Covid, I found certain OCA parishes to be extremely faithful and defied the nonsense "don't worship corporately" orders.

And so does everyone meet the stereotype? No. But if you are on vacation, chances are you can just show up at an OCA parish and they will commune you. You're not going to have that luck at a ROCOR parish. The OP was about Russian Orthodoxy in the USA which is why I focused on those two groups. Some of these stereotypies would apply to the Greeks. Obviously no stereotype is true across the board.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not a priest, but that certainly wasn't what happened at either of my OCA parishes. I've never heard of anything like this.

And at my ROCOR parish, the first time I went to Liturgy, no one knew me, I confessed and answered a couple questions and they communed me. I was prepared and the priest did ask a question or two, so it was normal, but they didn't ask to see my passport or any certificates.

So where is this sterotype from?
It's fairly regular if they ask you your bishop and you confess, you'd be communed. Why on Earth not? I suppose they might want to make sure you attended vespers/vigil the night before.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,092.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Obviously no stereotype is true across the board.
It may have been true of one parish, which several people reported on, and without it being understood that they had all visited the same parish, it has grown into a monster.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I suppose you think its untrue that there are several OCA parishes that commune homosexuals as well and that there are unrepentant Origenists within the OCA ranks, including a Bishop (this is not an accusation, the former is based upon firsthand knowledge including a priest who is a personal friend who left the OCA), and the latter from the written and spoken statements of that Bishop.

I think when we don't admit these things, they are neither fixed nor are people mentally prepared if they come across it.

For what it is worth, I think my OCA Bishop is great and that during Covid, I found certain OCA parishes to be extremely faithful and defied the nonsense "don't worship corporately" orders.

And so does everyone meet the stereotype? No. But if you are on vacation, chances are you can just show up at an OCA parish and they will commune you. You're not going to have that luck at a ROCOR parish. The OP was about Russian Orthodoxy in the USA which is why I focused on those two groups. Some of these stereotypies would apply to the Greeks. Obviously no stereotype is true across the board.

I don't think anything in your first paragraph is untrue, but that doesn't mean the OCA communes everyone. I have been around to many Orthodox parishes and never seen communion as open as you are claiming. certainly not enough to be a stereotype.

Upvote 0