Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Christianity is a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus. It is not following this or that set of rules. Or this or that doctrines of man. It is a living active, a vital and real relationship with the Lord Jesus. Anything other than this is “exchanging the truth of God for a lie and following the precepts of man, only deluding yourself. Having a form of godliness but denying the power therein.”

Christ said “away with you, to those he never knew”

It is that one on one personal relationship with the Lord Jesus that causes growth. Knowing what our savalution in Christ consists of. What it is in it’s foundation. It’s is this that answers all the cry’s of our hearts. May this be the desire of all our hearts. For anything other than this is something less than this. Peace to all that love the Lord Jesus.

Ill add on, because idk I always get a little cautious wherever someone say " its not following this or that set of rules". That's part of how some people say they are "spiritual but not religious". Because they see all these laws and don't believe in them. Or they see the laws are something constrictive and don't see the "God is love" as such a constricting guy. Or that He is, and I wouldn't want to follow something so constrictive.

But that is part of the relationship. The relationship is a covenant, so there are times where the relationship is not that appealing,or may seem not all that beneficial. My take is that the "agape" love that God has is not "unconditional" but "obligational". The joy of intimacy and companionship is there, but it has the ability to grow because the nature of God's love is that He fulfills His promises, He is just, He gives us an expected end for those who make covenant with Him. There is a sense of duty when He loves us.This is how he is able to keep the bloodline of Jesus alive despite how wicked some of his ancestors were. This is how despite when God wanted to just wipe off the freed Israelites from Egypt and keep Moses, Moses reminded Him of His promise and plead. His love is a covenant between Him and man.That despite our downfall, we are able to glorify him, and despite His mysterious ways we can always trust Him, and in that the relationship bears fruit. How His agape love works are all listed out in the accounts, events, and laws established in the Bible from Genesis to Revelation.

So yes, sometimes people get it wrong on how the relationship supposed to work and the doctrines reflect the selfishness of man. But I wouldn't pitch the idea that abiding by structures and laws that are in aid in keeping that covenant with God is all evil. It's needed, we are naturally rebellious people that wanna befriend God whenever its convenient, so laws gotta be established so that we know how to properly honor our covenant with Him.

In short: There's value in having rules.

Just a food for thought. Be encouraged.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brotherly Spirit

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To accept Jesus as the one having authority and power of God; Christ our Lord and Savior, the Son of God. Also to love him as we would God and others as we would him; loving as we would ourselves by him and others.

Basically to put God and others before ourselves as we would have them for us. Which is not only thinking and caring for ourselves, but remembering to love him and others.

• Useful
Reactions: Not me
Upvote 0

Not me

Righteousness is right and not me.
Feb 26, 2018
California
✟263,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ill add on, because idk I always get a little cautious wherever someone say " its not following this or that set of rules". That's part of how some people say they are "spiritual but not religious". Because they see all these laws and don't believe in them. Or they see the laws are something constrictive and don't see the "God is love" as such a constricting guy. Or that He is, and I wouldn't want to follow something so constrictive.

But that is part of the relationship. The relationship is a covenant, so there are times where the relationship is not that appealing,or may seem not all that beneficial. My take is that the "agape" love that God has is not "unconditional" but "obligational". The joy of intimacy and companionship is there, but it has the ability to grow because the nature of God's love is that He fulfills His promises, He is just, He gives us an expected end for those who make covenant with Him. There is a sense of duty when He loves us.This is how he is able to keep the bloodline of Jesus alive despite how wicked some of his ancestors were. This is how despite when God wanted to just wipe off the freed Israelites from Egypt and keep Moses, Moses reminded Him of His promise and plead. His love is a covenant between Him and man.That despite our downfall, we are able to glorify him, and despite His mysterious ways we can always trust Him, and in that the relationship bears fruit.

So yes, sometimes people get it wrong on how the relationship supposed to work and the doctrines reflect the selfishness of man. But I wouldn't pitch the idea that abiding by structures and laws that are in aid in keeping that covenant with God is all evil. It's needed, we are naturally rebellious people that wanna befriend God whenever its convenient, so laws gotta be established so that we know how to properly honor our covenant with Him.

In short: There's value in having rules.

Just a food for thought. Be encouraged.

Gods rules are simply because He is a God of order and “in Him is no disorder.” To live forever in peace and love with anybody there has to be order, any disorder (which is what sin is) would ruin the fellowship.

His rule are simply keeping right as right.

Upvote 0

Brotherly Spirit

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Gods rules are simply because He is a God of order and “in Him is no disorder.” To live forever in peace and love with anybody there has to be order, any disorder (which is what sin is) would ruin the fellowship.

So establishing boundaries for a healthy relationship to grow?

This gives meaning and purpose to God's word and how we understand it. That there's more to the rules than what's suppose to be done. Ultimately it's commitment and fulfillment of God and us, as you said an actual relationship.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

True, but God is not a tyrant, He is a Father. The order is set for our own well-being as well. Sometimes we don't see it that way though,even when we have knowledge that it's to keep order.

It's like being a teen knowing that dad is telling us to come home a certain time because it's get dark, and we know it's logical, but we still find reasons why it's not needed and stay out anyways.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Not me

Feb 26, 2018
California
✟263,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So establishing boundaries for a healthy relationship to grow?

This gives meaning and purpose to God's word and how we understand it. That there's more to the rules than what's suppose to be done. Ultimately it's commitment and fulfillment of God and us, as you said an actual relationship.

Gods rules are not arbitrary. Up is up, down is down, soft is soft, hard is hard, right is right. Gods rules are based in what is “real” and “true” They only keep that which “is” “is” that which is “true” “true.” It is disorder (i.e.sin) that is the “other” or the “isn’t”.

Edit; “disorder”, “other”
or “isn’t” is what hell is.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There's a difference between what is good (from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil) and what is better (from the tree of life) that I believe the book of Hebrews makes abundantly clear.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Not me

Feb 26, 2018
California
✟263,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
a religion and therefor a path of a serpent ...

Nobody talking about reglion.

Talking about have a personal relationship with the person that created us. It is greatest thing that could possibly be offered to any created being. All praise to Him who loves us so much He died for each and every one of us.
Him we follow, Him we serve. Blessing my friend, Not Me :)

Upvote 0

mozo41

Jun 6, 2017
london
✟50,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nobody talking about reglion.

Talking about have a personal relationship with the person that created us. It is greatest thing that could possibly be offered to any created being. All praise to Him who loves us so much He died for each and every one of us.
Him we follow, Him we serve. Blessing my friend, Not Me :)

my response was to the title of the thread ...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Not me

Feb 26, 2018
California
✟263,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus did away with religion and we all follow after him whether we realize it or not ...

Not sure I can agree with you on this one. I know many people that are opposed to Jesus, and aren’t following Him at all.

Upvote 0

Not me

Feb 26, 2018
California
✟263,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Seems since much of the Bible was written to the church and church members church attendance must also be an important part?

Example -- written to the seven churches.

M-Bob

True, we are told not to “forsake the assembly” so whether it’s a big or small group of people. As long as they meet together in the name of Christ. Christ says “where two or more are gathered, there am I in the mist” so welcome Lord Jesus. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Brotherly Spirit

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There's a difference between what is good (from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil) and what is better (from the tree of life) that I believe the book of Hebrews makes abundantly clear.

So it's the difference of knowing something and understanding it? Is this difference spiritual discernment?

How I'm thinking about it is humanity took God's knowledge for themselves. The problem is we lack his understanding for it's purpose. Our own judgment had condemn us as we hadn't listened to him, and weren't prepared yet by him for what he knew. Then he let us face the consequences for us to learn our lesson. But this has been a long time coming as humanity had continued denying him and not listening. With Christ he can't be more merciful and clear, just accept him and listen; he'll let us know.

Jesus did away with religion and we all follow after him whether we realize it or not ...

Organized or disorganized, I thought religion was shared beliefs and practices of God(s) by people. Only way to separate spirituality from religion is to have your own beliefs and practices. If all of us believe in the name of Christ, we're Christians; this comes with certain way we're to live.

Are you just meaning many aren't believing accordingly by him? If so, how do we know; gathered in his name sharing what's known to all or separately by what's known to each of us, both?

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So it's the difference of knowing something and understanding it? Is this difference spiritual discernment?

How I'm thinking about it is humanity took God's knowledge for themselves. The problem is we lack his understanding for it's purpose. Our own judgment had condemn us as we hadn't listened to him, and weren't prepared yet by him for what he knew. Then he let us face the consequences for us to learn our lesson. But this has been a long time coming as humanity had continued denying him and not listening. With Christ he can't be more merciful and clear, just accept him and listen; he'll let us know.
Knowing something and understanding it would be like Peter knowing and understanding the art of fishing but when the mind of Christ along with His power to make things happen occurs the good knowledge goes out the window and is replaced with an awesome fearfulness that makes one realize the true nature for what it is. Spiritual discernment distinquishes between truth and error. Acts of the Apostles 5:1-4; Matthew 16:21-23

Upvote 0

mozo41

Jun 6, 2017
london
✟50,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not sure I can agree with you on this one. I know many people that are opposed to Jesus, and aren’t following Him at all.

Jesus is the pattern son who's walk was/is a picture of our way back ... the process is happening within all of us as us ... we will all come to the knowledge of truth/self as he did ... our Father will not forsake us simply because He can not deny Himself who we are ... it is this gospel Jesus taught seeing the Kingdom of heaven and the soul we find are one and the same truth ... a land that is our own

Upvote 0

mozo41

Jun 6, 2017
london
✟50,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Organized or disorganized, I thought religion was shared beliefs and practices of God(s) by people. Only way to separate spirituality from religion is to have your own beliefs and practices. If all of us believe in the name of Christ, we're Christians; this comes with certain way we're to live.

Are you just meaning many aren't believing accordingly by him? If so, how do we know; gathered in his name sharing what's known to all or separately by what's known to each of us, both?

both, seeing we can not come to GOD by steps ... which is to say we can not come to GOD in our own name, but in the spirit of Christ/Truth ... to come to GOD is an inward journey which is happening within us all whether we have eyes to see it or not ...

Upvote 0