Iowa
✟19,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
In this video I explain the five points of Calvinism to the best of my ability. I also add a 6th point, that I believe most Calvinists would affirm. Please let me know if this is an accurate representation of what Calvinists really believe, especially if you are a Calvinist. Also, let me know why you think Calvinism is or is not Biblical, since this is a topic worth investigation!

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In this video I explain the five points of Calvinism to the best of my ability. I also add a 6th point, that I believe most Calvinists would affirm. Please let me know if this is an accurate representation of what Calvinists really believe, especially if you are a Calvinist. Also, let me know why you think Calvinism is or is not Biblical, since this is a topic worth investigation!

I'm not a fan of Calvinism for a few reasons summed up in these two articles.

Dialogue on Free Will & Determinism

Ancestral Versus Original Sin | St. Mary Orthodox Church

Besides that I would also have to name the Calvinist notion that the Imago Dei in fallen humanity is destroyed is another one. It's overly pessimistic to the point of over kill, or over statement. (No handy articles but I can describe my experiences talking to Calvinists over the years).

I will point of that there is a big difference in John Calvin's teachings and those of "Calvinists". Calvin is suppose to have had a mind to appreciate things like paradoxes and dynamic tension in scripture where many of his modern followers who teach an over simplified form of his teachings do not.

Upvote 0

KingsK.H.R.R.S

Holy, Righteous, Ratchet Squad
Mar 12, 2021
Oregon
✟18,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not a fan of Calvinism for a few reasons summed up in these two articles.

Dialogue on Free Will & Determinism

Ancestral Versus Original Sin | St. Mary Orthodox Church

Besides that I would also have to name the Calvinist notion that the Imago Dei in fallen humanity is destroyed is another one. It's overly pessimistic to the point of over kill, or over statement. (No handy articles but I can describe my experiences talking to Calvinists over the years).

I will point of that there is a big difference in John Calvin's teachings and those of "Calvinists". Calvin is suppose to have had a mind to appreciate things like paradoxes and dynamic tension in scripture where many of his modern followers who teach an over simplified form of his teachings do not.
Now that is interesting. I may have to give Calvin’s writings look through if it’s true that people claiming Calvinism took his statements far or out of context.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Now that is interesting. I may have to give Calvin’s writings look through if it’s true that people claiming Calvinism took his statements far or out of context.

I've noticed over the years that people who are followers can get very zealous, and try to be more Augustinian (or whoever) than Augustine or whoever they admire. It kind of happens from reductionism. You can reduce what you think is the most important core truths, but sometimes you can go too far. I've had a thread or two that has talked about that before, especially a quote below from a speech from Computer programmer and language writer Larry Wall below.

"Well, enough of that. Let's see what's next in our talk. Oh, oh, here comes a biggie. The Cult of Objectivity.

You know, Modernism tried. It tried real hard. It really, really tried. It tried to get rid of conventions. It thought it got rid of conventions. But all it really did was make its conventions invisible. At least to itself.

Reductionists often feel like they're being objective. But the problem with reductionism is that, once you've split your universe into enough pieces, you can't keep track of them any more. Psychologists tell us that the human mind can only keep track of about about seven objects, plus or minus two. That's for short-term memory. It gets both worse and better for long-term memory, but the principle still stands. If you lose track of something, it's because you thought it was less important, and didn't think about it often enough to remind yourself. This is what happened to Modernists in literature. They've forgotten what's important about literature"

Perl, the first postmodern computer language

Pavel's Postmodern thread

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wandering misfit

Nowhere man
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2012
Indiana
✟54,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I've noticed over the years that people who are followers can get very zealous, and try to be more Augustinian (or whoever) than Augustine or whoever they admire. It kind of happens from reductionism. You can reduce what you think is the most important core truths, but sometimes you can go too far. I've had a thread or two that has talked about that before, especially a quote below from a speech from Computer programmer and language writer Larry Wall below.

"Well, enough of that. Let's see what's next in our talk. Oh, oh, here comes a biggie. The Cult of Objectivity.

You know, Modernism tried. It tried real hard. It really, really tried. It tried to get rid of conventions. It thought it got rid of conventions. But all it really did was make its conventions invisible. At least to itself.

Reductionists often feel like they're being objective. But the problem with reductionism is that, once you've split your universe into enough pieces, you can't keep track of them any more. Psychologists tell us that the human mind can only keep track of about about seven objects, plus or minus two. That's for short-term memory. It gets both worse and better for long-term memory, but the principle still stands. If you lose track of something, it's because you thought it was less important, and didn't think about it often enough to remind yourself. This is what happened to Modernists in literature. They've forgotten what's important about literature"

Perl, the first postmodern computer language

Pavel's Postmodern thread
This is true even with me reading or listening to other Reformers. In every day life the zeal of defending doctrine seems to supercede the heart, and love for another, especially the one's just coming to the understanding and uniformity of the tenants of Reformed theology and the Scriptures. IOW, man gets in his own way.

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟353,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The sixth point is absolutely correct. The 5 points of Calvinism are founded upon how Calvinists understand and define the Sovereignty of God which, as you say, is divine determinism.

The rational implication of divine determinism is that God is actually the author of sin, and all sins that occur. Calvinists will reject that logical assessment, but they cannot explain how God ordains all things, yet not be the author of all sins that occur. So Calvinists call this a mystery. Yes, mystery indeed.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,924,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The sixth point is absolutely correct. The 5 points of Calvinism are founded upon how Calvinists understand and define the Sovereignty of God which, as you say, is divine determinism.
Hello Setst777, et al, the 5 points of Calvinism/TULIP are based on the Bible and what it teaches us about soteriology, not on how Calvinists "understand and define the sovereignty of God" (which we also understand and define according to what the Bible teaches).

Also, there is no 6th point (if there was, it would hardly be determinism, because Calvinism does not teach determinism).
The rational implication of divine determinism is that God is actually the author of sin, and all sins that occur. Calvinists will reject that logical assessment, but they cannot explain how God ordains all things, yet not be the author of all sins that occur. So Calvinists call this a mystery. Yes, mystery indeed.
If God is truly the CAUSE of everything that we do (including forcing us to sin), that would certainly make Him the Author of moral evil/sin. But, as I said above, Calvinism doesn't teach "determinism" :preach:

God's "ordination" does not mean that He is the cause of everything that happens, rather, His ordination of all things means one of three things, that He,

1. CAUSES something to happen,
2. ALLOWS something to happen,
3. STOPS something from happening.​

For instance, it is ~never~ God's will for us to sin (He, in point of fact, never even "tempts" us to do so .. e.g. James 1:13-15), but He ~allows~ us the freedom to choose to do so nevertheless. If He did not, if He 1. did not allow us to sin and/or (on the other hand) 2. forced us to sin, our wills, in either case, would not be free.

--David
p.s. - there's a group who call themselves Calvinists, but what they believe actually makes them Hyper-Calvinists instead. Unlike Calvinists, these "Hyper-Calvinists" teach Divine determinism, and therefore make God out to be the Author of sin/moral evil. This teaching is, at best, heretical, because it is not taught by vast majority of Calvinists, by the Bible, or by Christianity in general.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟353,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello Setst777, et al, the 5 points of Calvinism/TULIP are based on the Bible

setst777 said:

Hello Setst777, et al, the 5 points of Calvinism/TULIP are based on the Bible and what it teaches us about soteriology, not on how Calvinists "understand and define the sovereignty of God" (which we also understand and define according to what the Bible teaches).

So you say, but that remains to be proven. Keep in mind, that in the USA, over 1,200 Christian denominations exist. Worldwide, about 33,000 Christian denominations exist. Approximately 1,600 marginal or pseudo-Christian cults exist.

In all these many sects and cults within Christianity all use the Bible to prove they alone are correct in their doctrines.
  • They all claim to have the Holy Spirit to give them understanding.
  • They all claim God saved them.
  • They all claim their denomination or sect has the truth, the correct doctrines.
  • They all claim "God gave me Spiritual insight."
  • They all claim "I see things spiritually in scripture, that others can't see."
So, when you say that the Calvinism/TULIP is based on the Bible, well, that remains to be seen.

Also, there is no 6th point (if there was, it would hardly be determinism, because Calvinism does not teach determinism).

"The heart of Calvinism is not the doctrine of predestination, or, for that matter, any one of the other Five Points of Calvinism. The central truth proclaimed by Calvinism, Calvinism that is faithful to its heritage, is the absolute sovereignty of God."
[Cammenga, Ronald; Hanko, Ronald (June 11, 2002). Saved by Grace - a Study of the Five Points of Calvinism. Chapter 1: Reformed Free Publishing Assn. ISBN 0916206726.]

The sovereignty of God was "Calvin’s most central doctrine. It means that nothing is left to chance or human free will.
[Christian History Institute. "Calvin on God's Sovereignty". … https://christianhistoryinstitute.org/study/module/calvin-on-gods-sovereignty]

setst777 said:

If God is truly the CAUSE of everything that we do (including forcing us to sin), that would certainly make Him the Author of moral evil/sin. But, as I said above, Calvinism doesn't teach "determinism"
C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif

God's "ordination" does not mean that He is the cause of everything that happens, rather, His ordination of all things means one of three things, that He,
1. CAUSES something to happen,
2. ALLOWS something to happen,
3. STOPS something from happening.

God causing things to happen according to His absolute sovereignty does not have to mean God is forcing anyone to do anything since God formed them to be the way they are (Romans 9). For instance, Calvinism teaches that God does not force those to believe whom God elected to save.

Ordain means: to decree. What that means is, God did does not merely allow things to happen; rather, God ordained or decreed them to happen just the way it takes place.

"By predestination we mean the eternal decree of God, by which he determined with himself whatever he wished to happen with regard to every man. All are not created on equal terms, but some are preordained to eternal life, others to eternal damnation; and, accordingly, as each has been created for one or other of these ends, we say that he has been predestinated to life or to death."
[Calvin, John Institutes of the Christian Religion Chapter 21, par 5]

Calvinism argues that God cannot provide humanity with free will; to do so is to compromise the Sovereignty of God, at least in the exercise of faith or salvation. “We say that he [man] is free, but his freedom is within limits, and those limits are defined by the sovereignty of God.
[Sproul, R.C. (2011). The R.C. Sproul Collection Volume 2: Essential Truths of the Christian Faith. Tindale House Publishers, Inc. p. 27.]

"If God has decided our destinies from all eternity, that strongly suggests that our free choices are but charades, empty exercises in predetermined playacting. It is as though God wrote the script for us in concrete and we are merely carrying out his scenario.
[Sproul, R.C. (2011). Chosen by God. Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. p. 37. ISBN 978-0-8423-0282-1.]

Only God has free will in the sense of ultimate self-determination.
[Piper, John (2016-01-18). "Is God Sovereign Over My Free Will?" Desiring God]

For instance, it is ~never~ God's will for us to sin (He, in point of fact, never even "tempts" us to do so .. e.g. James 1:13-15), but He ~allows~ us the freedom to choose to do so nevertheless. If He did not, if He 1. did not allow us to sin and/or (on the other hand) 2. forced us to sin, our wills, in either case, would not be free.

As you read sections 1 through 8 of the Westminster Confession of Faith you will see that Calvinism teaches about a paradox of opposing doctrine between

1) God’s sovereign elective decrees by which God creates and actively governs all things.

Contrasted with:

2) The ordained (decreed) actions of each individual of which each person is fully responsible.

The mystery of this Paradox is that an absolutely Sovereign God decrees all things that occur, forming all things just as they are to fulfill His purpose, including the very number of people who are saved and not saved. Yet, at the same time, God holds each person responsible for his/her actions that God created and ordained him for. That is the mystery and paradox.

Sections 1 through 8 of the Westminster Confession of Faith

Section 1.) God, from all eternity, did, by the most wise and holy counsel of His own will freely, and unchangeably ordain whatsoever comes to pass: yet so, as thereby neither is God the author of sin, nor is violence offered to the will of the creatures; nor is the liberty or contingency of second causes taken away, but rather established.

------------------------------------

Section 2.) Although God knows whatsoever may or can come to pass upon all supposed conditions, yet hath He not decreed anything because He foresaw it as future, or as that which would come to pass upon such conditions.

Section 3.) By the decree of God, for the manifestation of His glory, some men and angels are predestinated unto everlasting life, and others foreordained to everlasting death.

Section 4.) These angels and men, thus predestinated and foreordained, are particularly and unchangeably designed; and their number so certain and definite, that it cannot be either increased or diminished.

Section 5.) Those of mankind that are predestinated unto life, God, before the foundation of the world was laid, according to His eternal and immutable purpose, and the secret counsel and good pleasure of His will, hath chosen in Christ unto everlasting glory, out of His mere free grace and love, without any foresight of faith or good works, or perseverance in either of them, or any other thing in the creature, as conditions, or causes moving Him thereunto; and all to the praise of His glorious grace.

Section 6.) As God hath appointed the elect unto glory, so hath He, by the eternal and most free purpose of His will, foreordained all the means thereunto. Wherefore, they who are elected being fallen in Adam, are redeemed by Christ; are effectually called unto faith in Christ by His Spirit working in due season; are justified, adopted, sanctified, and kept by His power, through faith, unto salvation.(4) Neither are any other redeemed by Christ, effectually called, justified, adopted, sanctified, and saved, but the elect only.

Section 7.) The rest of mankind, God was pleased, according to the unsearchable counsel of His own will, whereby He extendeth or withholdeth mercy, as He pleaseth, for the glory of His sovereign power over His creatures, to pass by, and to ordain them to dishonour and wrath for their sin, to the praise of His glorious justice.

Section 8.) The doctrine of this high mystery of predestination is to be handled with special prudence and care, that men, attending the will of God revealed in His Word, and yielding obedience thereunto, may, from the certainty of their effectual vocation, be assured of their eternal election. So shall this doctrine afford matter of praise, reverence, and admiration of God, and of humility, diligence, and abundant consolation, to all that sincerely obey the Gospel.

[Westminster Confession, Chapter 3, God’s Eternal Decree, Section 1-8]

The Westminster Confession of faith sections 1-8, although declaring that God created and ordained all beings to perform according to His will and good pleasure – either for salvation or eternal condemnation – at the same time, frees God of any role in the evil of man or the evil things they do, by placing all the blame on the creature that God formed and ordained for that purpose. That is the Paradox of Calvinism.

This paradox is said to be a mystery that only God knows.

One thing is certain to the Calvinist, that God is absolutely sovereign, forming man, and foreordained the lives of many for condemnation, while also mysteriously forming others for election onto salvation.

p.s. - there's a group who call themselves Calvinists, but what they believe actually makes them Hyper-Calvinists instead. Unlike Calvinists, these "Hyper-Calvinists" teach Divine determinism, and therefore make God out to be the Author of sin/moral evil. This teaching is, at best, heretical, because it is not taught by vast majority of Calvinists, by the Bible, or by Christianity in general.

Hyper-Calvinists admit the logical outcome of their doctrine of the absolute sovereignty of God – that God created or formed all things for the purpose he intended.

Blessings

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

This is why Calvinism isn't biblical.

In fact, Calvinists cannot point to any verse that teaches any of the points of Calvinism. Tulip is a flower, not a biblical doctrine.

Just for starters, total depravity is only about man being unable to save himself or earn God's favor. It is NOT about man's so-called "inability to believe".

The doctrine of election isn't about salvation, but rather, service. Even Judas was chosen by Jesus. John 6:71.

Christ died for everyone, as a number of verses very plainly state.

Grace is clearly resistible, since the Bible tells us that men "refuse to believe" and "refuse to repent". These are choices.

The 5th point requires clear definition. If the "P" means preservation, then YES, that is biblical. But many Calvinists mean "perseverance", not preservation. They are different.

Jesus taught clearly that the second soil DID believe the gospel (Luke 8:13), but they didn't persevere. They fell away from their faith.

• Agree
Reactions: BoB/335
Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟353,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

In fact, Calvinists cannot point to any verse that teaches any of the points of Calvinism. Tulip is a flower, not a biblical doctrine.

I agree. When read in context, the verses Calvinists use as proof texts to back up their doctrines do not explicitly teach what the verses are actually stating.

Just for starters, total depravity is only about man being unable to save himself or earn God's favor. It is NOT about man's so-called "inability to believe".

God offers to all people the gift of His grace through the Gospel Message, the Spirit working with the Word to convict, draw, call, and enlighten all people.

However
, many will resist the message, and the Spirit, and refuse The Gospel Invitation by their own choice, and so remain judged.

Matthew 22:3, 8-9 (WEB)
3 and sent out his servants to call those who were invited to the wedding feast, but they refused to come. …8 “Then he said to his servants, ‘The wedding is ready, but those who were invited were not worthy. 9 Go therefore to the intersections of the highways, and as many as you may find, invite to the wedding feast.’

Acts 7:51-52 (WEB)
51 “You stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, you always resist the Holy Spirit! As your fathers did, so you do. 52 Which of the prophets didn’t your fathers persecute? They killed those who foretold the coming of the Righteous One, of whom you have now become betrayers and murderers.

2 Thessalonians 2:10 (WEB)
10 They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved.

While the proud and obstinate will resist God, the humble will listen, and so be convicted, drawn, and enlightened to repent toward God, and to believe in Lord Jesus.

Psalm 25:8-9 (WEB)
8 Good and upright is Yahweh, therefore he will instruct sinners in the way.
9 He will guide the humble in justice. He will teach the humble his way.

The doctrine of election isn't about salvation, but rather, service. Even Judas was chosen by Jesus. John 6:71.

Christ died for everyone, as a number of verses very plainly state.

There are different kinds of elections, but their is an election of God onto salvation.
  • God offers His free gift of salvation to all people, because God desires all people to be saved (1 Timothy 2:3-6);
  • However, God elects to save whosoever will believe in His Son (John 3:16).
A Sovereign God has the right to set the conditions by which He grants the free gift of eternal life that we could never earn. That condition is faith.

1 Corinthians 1:21 (WEB) 21 For seeing that in the wisdom of God, the world through its wisdom didn’t know God, it was God’s good pleasure through the foolishness of the preaching to save those who believe.

Grace is clearly resistible, since the Bible tells us that men "refuse to believe" and "refuse to repent". These are choices.

Exactly

The 5th point requires clear definition. If the "P" means preservation, then YES, that is biblical. But many Calvinists mean "perseverance", not preservation. They are different.

The term "perseverance of the Saints" is Biblical, but God places the responsibility on each person to believe, and to remain faithful, to inherit the free gift of Eternal Life.

Revelation 14:12 (WEB) 12 Here is the perseverance of the saints, those who keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.”

Jesus taught clearly that the second soil DID believe the gospel (Luke 8:13), but they didn't persevere. They fell away from their faith.

The Calvinists confuse that Parable so badly, claiming this is all about God irresistibly causing some to believe by regeneration to the hearts of those that represent the good soil. However, neither the Parable, nor Lord Jesus' explanation of the Parable, even hint at such a doctrine.

The context is clear that the Parable is teaching about different types of people, and the hearts of such people, as to how they will receive the Gospel.

Those who believed for a while still truly believed, but they did not remain faithful to the end. That is why the Lord Jesus and the Apostolic Writers continually urged, commanded, admonished, pleaded, even with tears, to endure in the faith to the end to be saved.

By these instructions and warnings, God is doing everything possible to make sure the hearts of the believers remain true to the faith.

Luke 21:34-36 (WEB)
34 “So be careful, or your hearts will be loaded down with carousing, drunkenness, and cares of this life, and that day will come on you suddenly. 35 For it will come like a snare on all those who dwell on the surface of all the earth. 36 Therefore be watchful all the time, praying that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will happen, and to stand before the Son of Man.”

Blessings

• Agree
Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
FreeGrace2 said:

I agree. When read in context, the verses Calvinists use as proof texts to back up their doctrines do not explicitly teach what the verses are actually stating.
Exactly!

God offers to all people the gift of His grace through the Gospel Message, the Spirit working with the Word to convict, draw, call, and enlighten all people.
And there are many verses that clearly say that.

There are different kinds of elections, but their is an election of God onto salvation.
  • God offers His free gift of salvation to all people, because God desires all people to be saved (1 Timothy 2:3-6);
  • However, God elects to save whosoever will believe in His Son (John 3:16).
Could you quote or at least cite any verse that clearly links election to salvation. I can show many many verses that clearly link election to service.

The term "perseverance of the Saints" is Biblical, but God places the responsibility on each person to believe, and to remain faithful, to inherit the free gift of Eternal Life.
Your sentence indicates that one must "remain faithful to inherit the free gift of eternal life". That is contradictory. If one must "remain faithful", the gift isn't free. It is earned. You are placing human actions and work in salvation.

Salvation is by grace through faith. Faith is not a work, as Rom 4:4,5 and Eph 2;8,9 teach very clearly.

Revelation 14:12 (WEB) 12 Here is the perseverance of the saints, those who keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.”
Agreed! Perseverance means "keeping the commandments of God". And that will not save anyone.

Those who believed for a while still truly believed, but they did not remain faithful to the end. That is why the Lord Jesus and the Apostolic Writers continually urged, commanded, admonished, pleaded, even with tears, to endure in the faith to the end to be saved.
The verses about "enduring to the end" are in the clear context of the 7 year period of time called the Tribulation. So "the end" means the end of the Tribulation.

This is not a verse about enduring (which is a human work) for salvation.

In fact, the Greek word for "salvation" means "to be delivered or rescued". So in those verses, the issue is about enduring to the end of the Tribulation will be rescued.

• Agree
Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟353,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Could you quote or at least cite any verse that clearly links election to salvation. I can show many many verses that clearly link election to service.

The majority of New Testament verses with the word elect: "eklektos," or its noun form "eklogē," are identifying the ones being saved.

See:

G1588 - eklektos - Strong's Greek Lexicon (KJV)

G1589 - eklogē - Strong's Greek Lexicon (KJV)

Your sentence indicates that one must "remain faithful to inherit the free gift of eternal life". That is contradictory. If one must "remain faithful", the gift isn't free. It is earned. You are placing human actions and work in salvation.

Faith is not a one time action; rather, the faith you had when you first repented toward God, and believed in Lord Jesus, must continue. That is why so many Scriptures exist in the New Testament admonishing, warning, commanding, and urging the believers to remain faithful to inherit eternal life.

Salvation is by grace through faith. Faith is not a work, as Rom 4:4,5 and Eph 2;8,9 teach very clearly.

Correct, faith is not a work. There are no works we can do to earn righteousness or salvation. That is why salvation is by faith (John 3:16).

The election by Grace is not by works but by faith, the same faith that Abraham in God:

Romans 4:1-6 (NIV)
1 What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh, discovered in this matter? 2 If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about—but not before God. 3 What does Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.” [Genesis 15:6]
4 Now to the one who works, wages are not credited as a gift but as an obligation. 5 However, to the one who does not work but trusts God who justifies the ungodly, their faith is credited as righteousness. 6 David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the one to whom God credits righteousness apart from works

So by faith, not by works, we are justified, and by faith we access the saving grace of God.

Romans 5:1-2 (NIV) Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand.

Agreed! Perseverance means "keeping the commandments of God". And that will not save anyone.

If you repented, and your faith is really in Lord Jesus, then you are now submitting your whole life to him - to hear and follow Lord Jesus. To these, God grants eternal life.

John 10:27-28 (WEB)
27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give eternal life to them. They will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.

That is what Baptism represents - our dying to the old master of sin, and now living to follow Lord Jesus in holiness and righteousness (Romans 6). This is the only faith by which God grants eternal life.

Romans 6:21-22
21 What benefit did you reap at that time from the things you are now ashamed of? Those things result in death! 22 But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life.

John 8:12 (WEB) 12 Again, therefore, Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. [Isaiah 60:1] He who follows me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life.

1 John 1:6-9 (WEB) 6 If we say that we have fellowship with him and walk in the darkness, we lie, and do not tell the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.

1 John 2:4-6 (WEB)
4 One who says, “I know him,” and doesn’t keep his commandments, is a liar, and the truth isn’t in him.
5 But God’s love has most certainly been perfected in whoever keeps his word.
This is how we know that we are in him: 6 he who says he remains in him ought himself also to walk just like he walked.

The verses about "enduring to the end" are in the clear context of the 7 year period of time called the Tribulation. So "the end" means the end of the Tribulation.

This is not a verse about enduring (which is a human work) for salvation.

Actually Lord Jesus was teaching those who were following Him at that time. Also, it doesn't matter what time period Lord Jesus may be speaking of, the Gospel does not change. The Gospel is the same now as it will be in the Tribulation.

Matthew 28:19-20 (WEB) 19 Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I commanded you. Behold, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.

In fact, the Greek word for "salvation" means "to be delivered or rescued". So in those verses, the issue is about enduring to the end of the Tribulation will be rescued.

Only those who believe are saved. John 3:16

Luke 24:46-47 (WEB)
46 He said to them, “Thus it is written, and thus it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead the third day, 47 and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name to all the nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Revelation 3:1-5 (WEB)
1 “I know your works, that you have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead. 2 Wake up and keep the things that remain, which you were about to throw away, for I have found no works of yours perfected before my God. 3 Remember therefore how you have received and heard. Keep it and repent.
If therefore you won’t watch, I will come as a thief, and you won’t know what hour I will come upon you. 4 Nevertheless you have a few names in Sardis that didn’t defile their garments. They will walk with me in white, for they are worthy.
5 He who overcomes will be arrayed in white garments, and I will in no way blot his name out of the book of life, and I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

Blessings

Last edited:
Upvote 0