What is Biblical Submission in Marriage and in General?

EnriqueNye

Sep 11, 2019
East Coast
✟15,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I have been talking to some men at my church about what the meaning of submission is in the bible. It can sound intimidating and almost sexist to just flat out say that a wife has to listen to whatever her husband says and he has the final say, like it is some slave master relationship. I personally wonder why a girl would want to submit to a man in that way, it sounds intimidating and scary if I was in their shoes. Just wondering if someone had any advice or a clear way of explaining biblical submission that would help us all understand.
Thanks.

• Agree
Reactions: pescador

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have been talking to some men at my church about what the meaning of submission is in the bible. It can sound intimidating and almost sexist to just flat out say that a wife has to listen to whatever her husband says and he has the final say, like it is some slave master relationship. I personally wonder why a girl would want to submit to a man in that way, it sounds intimidating and scary if I was in their shoes. Just wondering if someone had any advice or a clear way of explaining biblical submission that would help us all understand.
Thanks.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Ignore all advisors who disagree. They have their underwear on backwards. It's not their fault. If people think the golden rule does not apply to women, then we can't fix them. They are broken.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

In-Christ-Alone

Feb 28, 2021
Birmingham
✟9,780.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1 Corinthians 11

"But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God...A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. For man did not come from woman, but woman from man. Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man." (3, 7-9)

Reactions: DavetheSlave
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1 Corinthians 11

"But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God...A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. For man did not come from woman, but woman from man. Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man." (3, 7-9)
If people think the golden rule does not apply to women, then we can't fix them. They are broken teachers.

I think it applies to everyone.
What Does the Bible Say About Do To Others?

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Marriage is a partnership between a man and a woman (or man-man or woman-woman). Each has their role to fulfill but it must be based on mutual love and respect for the other person. Our best model is the church, the bride of Christ.

Ephesians 5:21-28, "Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.

Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself.

Notice that there is no place here for domination, especially any form of anger, abuse, etc.

In general, because Christ loved us and sacrificed Himself so that we may have eternal life, we should put our own interests as second to that of our spouse.

Take it from me! I have been married for 51 years and I still love my wife as much (perhaps more) than when we met. Men should be strong enough to take care of ourselves and have plenty left over to take care of our wife, children, and parents -- and for others in general.

Do NOT let others hammer you with out-of-context Bible quotes that argue that men are to control women in the sense of ruling over them. Marriage is a partnership. Have a look at how Joseph cared for Mary...

Matthew 2:18-24, "This is how the birth of Jesus the Messiah came about: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit. Because Joseph her husband was faithful to the law, and yet did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly.

But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.”

All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: “The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel” (which means “God with us”).

When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife."

Clearly Joseph had reason to suspect that Mary had been unfaithful and could have publicly shamed her, but acted in accordance with God's will and became the acting father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks.

Basic rule in understanding the Bible is context.
Only pescodor has looked at the context.

Yes a wife has to submit to her husband, but the husband has to love his wife.
How is he to love his wife? Sacrificially, Jesus is our example.

The question now is do you and the men in your church understand just what Jesus sacrificed in order to save us.

A second question is if both prospective husband and wife understand this, how mean spirited is the wife if she will not submit, respect, honour etc a husband who is seeking to love her sacrificially?

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
there is no place here for domination,
"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3)

I see from this that a leader leads by example. Jesus our Head is our example.

Jesus, by the way, is more submissive than we are.

Upvote 0