• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

What is biblical authority...?

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by Saint Steven, Mar 22, 2021.

1. GDL

GDL Well-Known Member

+450
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Correct by the standard that it aligns with what God has said and means.

That quote is a command from Romans 3 from Ps 51 having to do with God prevailing in judgment and man's unbelieve having no effect on His faithfulness. It is not saying that everything a man says are lies or just interpretations.

2. Loversofjesus_2018

Loversofjesus_2018 Well-Known Member

+195
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Like I said. I’m not trying to push anyone away. I understand why people have confident in their beliefs. But confidence should not turn into arrogance or we risk missing the truth all together.

3. zoidar

zoidar Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,590
    Sweden
    Christian
    Private
    Good and important point!

4. misput

misput jimd

+194
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Seems to me God/Christ is the only authority, everything else is subservient to Him.

5. GDL

GDL Well-Known Member

+450
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Thanks, and I don't mean to knit-pick, but I do heavily favor accuracy and strive for it in all of us.

With that said, soteriology being a part of theology, and the gospel being a part of soteriology/ theology, the gospel is said by Paul to be the power/authority of God for Salvation. God saves us and in a way His soteriological proclamation is His power that saves.

Also, I think of what Jesus said re: knowing the truth and the truth making us free. In context this is being made free from sin. It is thus also a statement re: our salvation - being made free from what we are enslaved under. Being freed from knowing the truth. And the Truth is both Him and thus what He says. And all of such we study under the topics of theology.

I know I'm pushing it a bit, I think, but in a way theology does save us - the power of the Word of God and our understanding of it, belief of it and in Him, and thus submission to Him and what He says. Anyway, that's somewhat of what I was pushing as a point.

Thanks for the response.

6. GDL

GDL Well-Known Member

+450
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Does it really? Are we really called to not take a stand on what is clearly truth? Is it rude to staunchly proclaim Jesus is the Christ?

7. chad kincham

chad kincham Well-Known Member

+661
    Christian
    Married
    Roman church claims of apostolic authority are bogus.

The Orthodox Church states the first RC pope was Linus, and that peter was never pope in Rome - and scripture proves Peter was never part of the gentile Roman church, since he was the apostle to the Jews.

8. zoidar

+1,590
    Sweden
    Christian
    Private
    Do you think the theology of some of the major branches of Christianity might be an obstacle to salvation?

9. GDL

GDL Well-Known Member

+450
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Sorry, second post:

But Jesus' lessons on judging were to learn to judge righteously and doing so with ourselves first.

Also, Paul rebuked a congregation treated it's congregational judiciary so lightly as to put some into it because they didn't know what else to do with them.

In Hebrews 5 the difference between the infants who are being rebuked for their continued infancy, and the mature is that the mature have become trained to be learned and skilled in the Word of Righteousness and have well-exercised faculties to judge both good and bad.

IMO, from studying such things, I think Christians should be becoming the best judges on the planet - well able in Christ to judge according to God's judgment. I also think there are many cautions about learning to judge rightly and not hypocritically.

10. Loversofjesus_2018

+195
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    What I meant by the violence stops meaning that how can I judge another if I’m willing to admit I may be wrong.... What I may see as clearly truth another may not see at all. And rightfully so. Some people have a different standard before they are willing to accept something as truth. So we are able to have a discussion because what I believe is much different from what I know. We confuse they two. Somehow we have been convinced that belief is synonymous with certainty and it cannot be both at the same time. If you only believe there is without question the possibility that you can be wrong. If you are certain than being wrong is not a possibility.

11. Clare73

Clare73 Blood-bought

+1,126
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Not the same. . .the account of the woman has nothing to do with the Holy Spirit and one's view of Scripture. It has to do with it just not being an issue for those in whom the Holy Spirit dwells, it affects nothing for them regarding the Scriptures.
    I suspect the priests thought the same thing about Jesus.

12. Loversofjesus_2018

+195
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I personally would rather not judge at all when it comes to religious matters. Right and wrong seem to be relative to the time one lives and the environment one lives in therefore it’s seems to be eve changing when talking about that standard of right and wrong from place to place. Even with in the Christianity itself there are things that of happens today would be considered unacceptable and flat out wrong. But it was considered ok in those days according to scripture. Now sure I have my one thoughts about all that but honestly they are just my own thoughts from my perception of the world and how I interact with it. It seems a lot of people on the “Christian forums” are mean and rude a lot of times but this is only my perception. It doesn’t mean because I perceive it that way it is the truth. It seems this fits in all areas where we are unsure if we are willing to admit we are unsure. I may believe Jesus is real another may question because they have a distrust in the history we are provided on all subjects so they take an agnostic approach and say “I don’t know”. Are they wrong? Are they denying God? It doesn’t seem that way to me. I try to understand why they struggle to believe the information presented to them.

13. GDL

GDL Well-Known Member

+450
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I guess I'd have to ask you to specifically identify what you mean by, "the major branches of Christianity."

And then I would likely bow out on some for now, because it has been some time since I studied various soteriologies, so I wouldn't want to misspeak.

I will say something re: something a bit closer to home for me: After a lot of work in study and some pains in coming to grips with my updated view some time ago, I came to view the soteriology I was trained under as likely and unintentionally (in most) marching many off a cliff. This view was shared by another in that camp who studied the matter with me and I don't think we pushed our conclusion on one another, but each of us saw things from Scripture that caught us both a bit off-guard at times.

Any such discussion would have to include what is included in the word "salvation," which is another big piece that typically gets intense in repeated discussions from time to time on other threads here.

Additionally, as I said earlier in a post to chevyontheriver, although once staunchly in the camp(s) opposed to the so-labeled Catholic "works-salvation" gospel, I have found in some of these threads in discussions with Catholics, that their gospel as they explain it does not seem to be in actuality what I was taught it is. Also, I find some of such discussions to present a salvation that I see conforming to Scripture in ways that have pleasantly surprised me a bit.

I'm not speaking comprehensively, but just trying to answer you in part. To truly discuss this I'd want to take any soteriology point-by-point and bring out Scripture to address them all. I'm cautious at this point of just dismissing a camp under some label that may or may not be comprehensively valid.

Hope this makes sense.

14. Loversofjesus_2018

+195
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Maybe they didn’t maybe they didn’t. Its not my job to say. I do wonder are you able to admit you could be wrong about your belief? Is it even at all possible? I’m just curious and if you are certain than thats awesome as well.

15. Clare73

Clare73 Blood-bought

+1,126
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    All unbelievers (Romans 3:3-4) are liars because they deny the truth of God.

16. Loversofjesus_2018

+195
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    What does deny the truth of God actually mean?

17. zoidar

+1,590
    Sweden
    Christian
    Private
    I can answer that. The truth is that Christ was crucified and rose again for our salvation. Denying that is denying truth.

18. Loversofjesus_2018

+195
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    And if a person says they simply don’t know are they still denying the truth?

19. Loversofjesus_2018

+195
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Is it denial to be skeptical or unsure?

20. zoidar

+1,590
    Sweden
    Christian
    Private
    I think it makes sense.

I didn't mean you have to point out which one or anything like that. I was thinking about Catholicism, Eastern Orthodox, Lutheranism, Reformed, Angelican, Pentacostals, the bigger ones.

I didn't grew up Christian. So I came from a point I didn't know much at all. Maybe that was more of a blessing than a curse? I did know about Jesus dying for our sins. That was pretty much it. So I got to know Christ, then I started to think about belonging to a church.