What is "Bible Church" supposed to mean?

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Don't all churches believe in the Bible and have worship based on them?

It is an all but useless term some protestants use to describe themselves. They tend to be independent congregations not affiliated with any denomination.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I guess I always assumed it was code for "non-denominational".

But since "non-denominational" is kind of a meme now thanks to...

... we're more likely to see "Bible church" now, whatever that means.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

"Bible Church" means anything anyone wants it to mean. But in my experience the thing most "Bible Churches" have in common is that they don't abide by what the Bible says and teaches, as they instead tend to go about reinventing the wheel as they see fit.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I guess I always assumed it was code for "non-denominational".

But since "non-denominational" is kind of a meme now thanks to...

... we're more likely to see "Bible church" now, whatever that means.
I made a friend mad for saying "non-denominational is practically a denomination".

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's not a lie, it's just an inconvenient truth that dispels the myth of specialness.

-CryptoLutheran
It's a bit of an impenetrable wall trying to get through to those types though, eh?

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's not a lie, it's just an inconvenient truth that dispels the myth of specialness.

-CryptoLutheran
Well, more like they want to be the closest to the N.T. Church not like those "churches influenced by traditions".

• Agree
Reactions: NW82
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I made a friend mad for saying "non-denominational is practically a denomination".
I sometimes call them the 'non-denominational denomination'.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
You ask if all churches believe in the Bible. I would hope all churches believe in the Lord.

The Bible is a faithful account of the events it witnesses to. I think there are a lot of Christians that don't believe that. That doesn't mean entire churches don't believe that.

There is an organization called the Unitarian Universalist Church which includes atheists, I believe.

Upvote 0

akaDaScribe

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2018
Boston Area
✟97,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I think what they mean is that they use the Bible as their source of authority and teach directly from it rather than doing and hour sermon on specific passages that were hand picked to support a view.

This is not to come down on come down on the other churches, but rather to point out the perspective I believe they intend to come from.

Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Love &Forgiveness

Aug 30, 2018
US
✟18,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The Bible as we know it is not perfect. There are many different translation because their is many different understanding of what the Bible is saying. This is a good thing because this shows us that we need to worship Jesus, not the Bible. Many people think they need the Bible, but we don't. Is it bad? No! But Jesus told us that the real meanings are hidden from unrepentant people. God is self-revealing. We only understand what He reveals to us. Jesus told us that the Scriptures point to Him. This means that Salvation is in Jesus, not Biblical knowledge.

John 5:36-40 NLT
But I have a greater witness than John—my teachings and my miracles. The Father gave me these works to accomplish, and they prove that he sent me. [37] And the Father who sent me has testified about me himself. You have never heard his voice or seen him face to face, [38] and you do not have his message in your hearts, because you do not believe me—the one he sent to you. [39] “You search the Scriptures because you think they give you eternal life. But the Scriptures point to me! [40] Yet you refuse to come to me to receive this life.

Jesus tells us that true believers worship in Spirit and in Truth. We are Saved by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Not by good works, or Bible study, or church attendance, or being baptized, or keeping sacraments.

John 4:24 NLT
For God is Spirit, so those who worship him must worship in spirit and in truth.”

Jesus teaches us and the Bible affirms what the Spirit teaches us is Truth. Not the other way around.

John 6:45 NLT
As it is written in the Scriptures, ‘They will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who listens to the Father and learns from him comes to me.

Religion is setup by the devil. The devil is the ruler of the world and religion is part of that. Christ and His church is One, not divided by religious denomination.

Salvation is through Jesus alone. Jesus is the Narrow Gate. We can only enter the Kingdom of God through Jesus, not Bible Study, church attendance, being baptized, or keeping sacraments. Most people never surrender their life to Jesus and put all their Faith in Jesus. That is true Salvation. People can be religious, do Bible Studies, go to church, complete all the sacraments required by their religion, but never come to Jesus in repentance and Faith. We need to give up everything and make Jesus Everything. Jesus is Enough to Save us. We can't add anything to Jesus. We need to rest in Jesus alone. All work must stop! All trying to earn and save ourselves must stop. Only through Faith can we come to Jesus. Jesus is Righteous, we aren't.

Reactions: harko
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Local-congregation-autonomy. That’s probably the distinction you are seeking.

Which has its roots in English church covenant.

The idea of a church covenant is an expression of the free-church ecclesiology and it issues from within the context of the English Puritanism, becoming afterwards one of the characteristic traits of the Baptist churches.

Which had a distinct influence in the American colonies during the First Great Awakening.

http://www.great-awakening.com/basic-concepts-of-the-first-great-awakening/

http://www.ushistory.org/us/7b.asp

Most of the Bible churches in the US are planted by Baptists and Reformed churches.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Bible as we know it is not perfect. There are many different translation because their is many different understanding of what the Bible is saying. This is a good thing because this shows us that we need to worship Jesus, not the Bible. Many people think they need the Bible, but we don't. Is it bad? No! But Jesus told us that the real meanings are hidden from unrepentant people. God is self-revealing. We only understand what He reveals to us. Jesus told us that the Scriptures point to Him. This means that Salvation is in Jesus, not Biblical knowledge.

John 5:36-40 NLT
But I have a greater witness than John—my teachings and my miracles. The Father gave me these works to accomplish, and they prove that he sent me. [37] And the Father who sent me has testified about me himself. You have never heard his voice or seen him face to face, [38] and you do not have his message in your hearts, because you do not believe me—the one he sent to you. [39] “You search the Scriptures because you think they give you eternal life. But the Scriptures point to me! [40] Yet you refuse to come to me to receive this life.

Jesus tells us that true believers worship in Spirit and in Truth. We are Saved by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Not by good works, or Bible study, or church attendance, or being baptized, or keeping sacraments.

John 4:24 NLT
For God is Spirit, so those who worship him must worship in spirit and in truth.”

Jesus teaches us and the Bible affirms what the Spirit teaches us is Truth. Not the other way around.

John 6:45 NLT
As it is written in the Scriptures, ‘They will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who listens to the Father and learns from him comes to me.

Religion is setup by the devil. The devil is the ruler of the world and religion is part of that. Christ and His church is One, not divided by religious denomination.

Salvation is through Jesus alone. Jesus is the Narrow Gate. We can only enter the Kingdom of God through Jesus, not Bible Study, church attendance, being baptized, or keeping sacraments. Most people never surrender their life to Jesus and put all their Faith in Jesus. That is true Salvation. People can be religious, do Bible Studies, go to church, complete all the sacraments required by their religion, but never come to Jesus in repentance and Faith. We need to give up everything and make Jesus Everything. Jesus is Enough to Save us. We can't add anything to Jesus. We need to rest in Jesus alone. All work must stop! All trying to earn and save ourselves must stop. Only through Faith can we come to Jesus. Jesus is Righteous, we aren't.
You know you quoted the Bible to support your claim you don’t need the Bible.

Upvote 0

Love &Forgiveness

Aug 30, 2018
US
✟18,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You know you quoted the Bible to support your claim you don’t need the Bible.

You don't need the Bible. There are Saved people that don't have a Bible. There are nations with no Bible translations. Does that mean they are not Saved? No! We need child-like Faith. The whole Bible is about Jesus. If you have Jesus you have the Bible in your heart. True Believers have the Bible is written on their heart and mind. The Bible is a useful resource for teaching, rebuking, verifying Truth, but not necessary. All you need is Love. To love God and love others. That sums it up! But Love comes from God through a relationship with Jesus.

Upvote 0