Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I know a couple who are unequally yoked. Married for love. She is a born again committed Christian, he just does not have a clue. It did not matter at first, but as time goes on, it does. There are things she wants to do - like going to Spring Harvest to be with lots of others, but how can she go alone? He would go to please her but it is meaningless to him. He does not stop her from her freedom to worship, but her sadness is that she cannot share the joy of knowing Jesus Christ's love.
What is the answer? Persist and adapt? Breaking up would be too cruel.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,104.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I know a couple who are unequally yoked. Married for love. She is a born again committed Christian, he just does not have a clue. It did not matter at first, but as time goes on, it does. There are things she wants to do - like going to Spring Harvest to be with lots of others, but how can she go alone? He would go to please her but it is meaningless to him. He does not stop her from her freedom to worship, but her sadness is that she cannot share the joy of knowing Jesus Christ's love.
I have been married for the last 29 years to someone who does not share my theology nor my passion for Christ. She has never stopped me doing anything I have wanted to do for the Lord. She is a woman of excellent character and the best wife I could desire. The Scripture says that a wife's faith and Christian conduct is the most powerful influence on an unbelieving husband. You might be the only person in that man's life who is close enough to show Christ to him in the way you can.

• Agree
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

ajcarey

Jun 3, 2019
Midwest
✟46,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Whether this couple is married or not already is the necessary information one would need to know the x factor here so that this equation can be properly solved.

If they are already married: "13 And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him. 14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy. 15 But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace." (1 Corinthians 7:13-15)

If they are not already married she shouldn't provoke God and enter into an unequal yoke since that can yet be avoided and since she knows better. Breaking up would not be too cruel because obeying God can seem cruel but the alternative of not doing so is ultimately even crueler- 100 percent of the time. So if they are not already married: "14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? 15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? 16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you. 18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty."

Edit: Sorry, re-read the post and you made it clear they are already married. I'm leaving my original answer since it still answers your question and since it gives necessary information for any in unequal relationships who might read through this thread that are not yet married.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Breaking up would not be too cruel because obeying God can seem cruel but the alternative of not doing so is ultimately even crueler- 100 percent of the time.

Closer to 1%, in your example where we discard others based on what we imagine God would want us to do.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know a couple who are unequally yoked. Married for love. She is a born again committed Christian, he just does not have a clue.
Well, first of all > was she claiming to be a Christian when she married him?

I agree that a Christian should not marry an unbeliever. And so if someone is obeying how God guides the person, a person is not going to marry an unbeliever.

So, are you saying she married him while she was claiming to be a Christian?

Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It is true. Once unequally yoked, life becomes compromise.
Thinking of Psalm 1. Everything becomes a daily uphill struggle to maintain faith while resisting erosion in every aspect of life. People, being human and frail, make foolish mistakes, the price to peace of mind then is indeed a high one.

• Prayers
Reactions: ajcarey
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, if she ignored people's warning, by marrying an unbeliever, she messed up. And this would be a major problem, if she did not trust Christians who cared about her.

Now, we can say she has no excuse; she has brought on herself her problems. And even if she now trusts God about this, her husband might not become saved, plus he can get worse >

"But evil men and impostors will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived." (2 Timothy 3:13)

Even if he never changes, though, now she can stop and admit she did wrong, and offer herself to God > like we all need to do when we mess up. And trust Him to do what He wants with her >

"What do You want me to do?" Simple.

After I mess up, I can trust God to be my Good Judge to decide what to do with me. And I can wait until I am submissive to Him in His peace, and do what He has me doing in His peace >

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

Upvote 0

Esile35

Sep 5, 2019
Oregon
✟8,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I married into this union... I had been to what I felt was hell and back, and thought this had to be the one God finally brought for me. I never let my feelings attach to him, though he had the looks, until I heard him talking about Jesus and I took that as a sign... he identified as bi-sexual but claimed to have a preference towards women and also brought a child into this world where, because of hardships he couldnt father. But his desire to be one made me think this guy deserves a second chance right? I too at the time had one child. Before we even got together he helped me with her, and I saw him being the father he said he was. Well attraction led to "going out" and then me thinking he talks about Jesus so he sa gotta be safe. I'm learning much later how naive I was. How I should have been in the word day in day out... talked to Jesus day in and day out. Maybe even gone to church a bit more, even though my work schedule full time as it s is, would leave me exhausted Sunday morning and that was IF I got sunday and preferably Saturday off... theres alot more to the story, but I met him through my ex's nephew and he needed a place to stay so he could start work and stuff so that's how we got to talking...

I'm sorry this is so long, it's just I feel a deep need to share my experience here, I've been holding this dark secret for quite some time now, and the pain does go away, but then comes back now and again to haunt me and it's been almost more than five years since I was made aware of an encounter my husband had... AFTER our wedding.

I was well off work one evening when I was driving my husband to a hospital about half an hour away "he doesn't have a license yet" for some workers comp stuff he needed done. My husband then told me he gave oral sex to this guy (my ex's nephew) and it broke my heart into smithereens... though other guy did nothing back and they did nothing else, it shocked me and still affects me to this day, on and off..
I pray and pray but it still comes back. Not that the reasoning mattered for sure, it was basically unfinished business... and trade for illegal drugs that I was not a part in at all btw. Since then he has stopped those drugs... we are still married because despite the returning ocean waves of pain, disbelief, and curiosity... I know that God hates divorce and I still love him. We just had our second child and hes an amazing helpful father who is there when I need him. Again I'm sorry about the length of this... again it's been years and I havent told a soul, feel like no one could ever understand going through something like this because... it's just weird, but also being affected in the same way that I am. Maybe I should be happy because it wasn't another woman, but the fact that it's a guy almost makes it worse because I know I couldn't even fathom how great it must've been
The guy who was my husbands friend has been outta town for years also but I keep fearing hes gonna come back and want to make amends... with "us" again But i dont know if i can take it. Last I seen the guy he was still doing drugs, and throwing out "taunts" to my husband when we had to hang out... which i feel were directed more towards me, references to the um... act of fornication that happened between them, these remarks which felt like a hot knife cutting through me. And never an apology, no remorse... he has a history of mostly taking advantage of me and constantly needing to borrow my money and getting angry and scary if I couldn't give it... which I've mostly forgiven him for... I dont know what to do now other than bring it into some kind of light and ask for more prayer on those awful dark feelings to dissipate so I can continue with our lives and stop feeling so negative. And hope that someone could see this and put the brakes up before entering into something the Lord may not have set up in their future... comments, prayers, advice welcome...

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We all have needed to do the same thing >

"If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me." (in Luke 9:23)

This is about who Jesus is, not about who different evil and wrong people are. Our attention belongs with Jesus, but pray with caring for any and all people. Jesus does want us to love any and all people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
QUOTE=]I know a couple who are unequally yoked. Married for love. She is a born again committed Christian, he just does not have a clue. It did not matter at first, but as time goes on, it does. There are things she wants to do - like going to Spring Harvest to be with lots of others, but how can she go alone? He would go to please her but it is meaningless to him. He does not stop her from her freedom to worship, but her sadness is that she cannot share the joy of knowing Jesus Christ's love.
What is the answer? Persist and adapt? Breaking up would be too cruel
.[/QUOTE
============================================
The answer is Jesus. (I know, simplistic) (on purpose, and true).

Endure to the end ? Yes. Even Rejoice in trials? Yes. Have NO anxiety? Yes. Bring everything to the THRONE in prayer to receive help at once in time of need ? Yes.

See? In Scripture, In Jesus, the Answer.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Well, if she ignored people's warning, by marrying an unbeliever, she messed up. And this would be a major problem, if she did not trust Christians who cared about her.
No more so than multitudes of members, posters, readers, listeners here today!

Most people have severe and many problems because of not knowing the truth, not being raised in the way they should go, and not knowing when someing is telling them the truth - for lack of anyone telling them the truth often.
Finding out is only possible because of God's Great IMMEASURABLE MERCY!

Upvote 0

carp614

Apr 21, 2016
Home
✟29,620.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow. I'm so sorry for this difficulty. Isn't it troubling how we can see the mistakes we were making in hindsight, but not when we needed to see it the most.

So many chances to change the outcome are missed because we are blind to what the evidence is trying to show us.

Upvote 0

Rawtheran

Lightmaker For Christ
Jan 3, 2014
Ohio
✟46,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Question: Was she married to him before she became born again?

Upvote 0

Ahermit

May 10, 2015
✟40,965.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
... her sadness is that she cannot share the joy of knowing Jesus Christ's love.
What is the answer? Persist and adapt? ...
He loves her for what he knows is true in her.
She loves him for what she knows is true in him.

Jesus Christ loves what is true in her.
Jesus Christ in her is loving what is true in him.

Without him knowing it, he already knows what it is like to be loved by Jesus Christ; though he may not understand it. So, she can let go about him missing out.

I would tell her to study the book of Ruth in the bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums