Feb 9, 2004
New South Wales
Visit site
✟39,912.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
60 Minutes...TodayTonight...the media in general often portray youth to be the troublemakers in society who have no ambitions past shoplifting and graffiti. When I look at my peers though, I see people who are full-time students at school or uni, while still holding down two jobs on the side. I don't see the laziness or lack of ambition, yet surely the stigma surrounding youth had to come from somewhere?

If you were asked to describe Australian youth culture though, what would you say about it? (There aren't any wrong answers, but I'm sure people will have different opinions).

Timyone

May 15, 2006
sydney
✟9,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
ummm i dont know if any one can really describe all of youth culture in a post hey, id say people could describe the youthy people they know, i could talk a bit about my youth group people etc, but its really going to be like taking a photo of an elephants foot and expecting to be able to tell every thing about the elephant.

Upvote 0

Bamboo_Chicken

Once a Steffi, forever a Bamboo Chicken
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2004
New South Wales
Visit site
✟39,912.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Most people don't believe what 60 Minutes, TodayTonight and the media in general say.
Actually, many do. I'm not one of them, but it worries me how many people often quote those sort of programs as fact. When I was asked what I thought youth culture was, I suggest some ideas that are held by the 'older and wiser' group, but after suggesting it thought to apply it to myself and my friends. Quite extreme differences between them.

Upvote 0

Bamboo_Chicken

Once a Steffi, forever a Bamboo Chicken
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2004
New South Wales
Visit site
✟39,912.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
ummm i dont know if any one can really describe all of youth culture in a post hey, id say people could describe the youthy people they know, i could talk a bit about my youth group people etc, but its really going to be like taking a photo of an elephants foot and expecting to be able to tell every thing about the elephant.
I know, I promise. That's sort of the idea though - everybody has different ideas of what it's meant to be and it's really only by looking at a range of opinions that we can piece the 'elephant' together. Youth culture is huge, but personal opinions are what I'm looking for :).

Upvote 0

norbie

Veteran
Jan 23, 2007
✟9,654.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe that todays youth is much different then ten years ago - their problem is that they have no ROLE MODELS in todays adult people. They have to find out everything by themself and learn the hard way, "pushed down" everywere by Adults who don't know themself what to do.
UNI Students start their life with a great dept, RTA and press condem them - but who help them? When they are doing their first, MOST DANGERIOUS operation in car driving, overtaking, they are on their own.
To safe money we have mixed teenage classes in school, resulting in the boys get embarresed and are behind in their study.
The list could go on, but I stick up for our youth anytime, and yes my boy is doing his second UNI degree, paying all by himself by stocking up at Woolies.
Just my thoughts

Upvote 0

GrannieAnnie

Senior Veteran
Mar 27, 2007
Western Australia
✟18,813.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
My dad will be 97 in September and mum is 89....they often take public transport (during the day) or go shopping, and they have always PRAISED the young people they've come across in society. Young men and women, who to their way of thinking, look a bit "scruffy" will stop traffic so my parents can cross a busy road, or will stand for them on a bus or train, they will help them in shops. The clothes may be different, the language and terms a bit different, but basic respect is still to be found in many youth these days. So on behalf of my parents, and my family......thank you to all the young people in todays society.

Upvote 0

Neenie1

Senior Veteran
Feb 17, 2005
✟21,306.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So Norbie do you think we should have separate boys/girls schools?

(just the impression I got from something I read in your post)

I don't believe a lot of what 60 min etc. say.

Most of the "young" (by what do we mean young anyway - is it say 18 - 25) people I know are responsible people. I do know there are some that aren't. but isn't that the same with older people too.

Upvote 0

norbie

Veteran
Jan 23, 2007
✟9,654.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So Norbie do you think we should have separate boys/girls schools?

(just the impression I got from something I read in your post)

I don't believe a lot of what 60 min etc. say.

Most of the "young" (by what do we mean young anyway - is it say 18 - 25) people I know are responsible people. I do know there are some that aren't. but isn't that the same with older people too.
Yes that's right, I think it would be better and would have better educational outcome. Each sex could concecret more on study - and not the opposite in the classroom.
Most christian schools still do have boys/girls only. But it's just my own thoughts, maybe Ebia can give more insight in this. i came out of a boys only and I think it was good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tgg

Veteran
Jun 19, 2005
Brisbane
Visit site
✟20,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Yes that's right, I think it would be better and would have better educational outcome. Each sex could concentrate more on study - and not the opposite in the classroom.
Most Christian schools still do have boys/girls only. But it's just my own thoughts, maybe Ebia can give more insight in this. i came out of a boys only and I think it was good.

Up until I was 12, I went to mixed schools and did quite well with them.
When I was in my teens, I went to a boys-only Catholic school in high school and I hated it. My education there amounted to nothing.

I think that all schools should be co-ed - we are meant to live and study together.

Upvote 0