What is and is not a sin... The correct view of sin...?

toLiJC

Jun 18, 2012
✟35,877.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Some say just about everything is a sin, some say some things are under some circumstances and not in others, then some others say "not everything we think is a sin, is a sin", and I would like those ones to explain further...? They seem to have a narrower view of sin, while having to broad a view of sin, makes everything a sin...

Who's right...?

Comments...?

God Bless!

if any soul is hurt, then there is certainly some sin in the universe committed to the detriment of that soul, because sin is in essence a causation/infliction of evil/harm to/on the neighbor/townsman/cohabitant - it is another question how many persons are involved in that sin

Romans 14:13-21 (NASB) "let us not judge one another anymore, but rather determine this-- not to put an obstacle or a stumbling block in a brother's way..... It is good not to eat meat or to drink wine, or to do anything by which your brother stumbles."

according to the biblical terminology, in the above chapter of Romans, "to eat meat" means to practice idolatry, while "to drink wine" means to practice occultism - the two main aspects of the heretical spirituality/religiosity, because the spiritual unrighteousness/lawlessness/wickedness is the cause (and even the source) of all other iniquities and evils, which is why the Apostle says:

Romans 14:23 "he who doubts is condemned if he eats(i.e. if any person practices the faith being founded on unrighteousness, he or she is thus condemned), because his eating is not from faith(i.e. because his or her faith's practice is wrong i.e. unrighteous); and whatever is not from faith is sin(i.e. and any practice of faith that is based on unrighteousness is sin)."

Blessings

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Some say just about everything is a sin, some say some things are under some circumstances and not in others, then some others say "not everything we think is a sin, is a sin", and I would like those ones to explain further...? They seem to have a narrower view of sin, while having to broad a view of sin, makes everything a sin...

Who's right...?

Comments...?

God Bless!

Christ's way of saying what is good, what is the law, summarized --

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." (NIV)

"In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets." (NASB)

“So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets." (ESV)

'All things, therefore, whatever ye may will that men may be doing to you, so also do to them, for this is the law and the prophets.' (YLT)

"All things therefore, as many as you might desire that men should do to you, so also you do to them, for this is the law and the prophets." (Berean Literal)

Wonderfully, this rule untangles for us all sorts of difficult questions, if we take the time to think on how it applies.

What ever breaks this rule is sin, so far as I have been able to ever find. Each sin breaks this rule.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Christ's way of saying what is good, what is the law, summarized --
Or, even if it is not the law, nor thought of as the law -

Jesus always directs, teaches, leads and trains His disciples

to do what is right. Pure, holy, good, in the sight of YHWH (GOD).

Always. No exception.

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Or, even if it is not the law, nor thought of as the law -

Jesus always directs, teaches, leads and trains His disciples

to do what is right. Pure, holy, good, in the sight of YHWH (GOD).

Always. No exception.

We agree, but for that it's better in my view to directly take His wording just as it is, simply that this "is the law and the prophets". I don't even have to necessarily get every possible wrinkle, but instead I must get the central meaning -- this is what is the good and right thing to do, and "is the law and the prophets".
We can remember at this moment His words "in spirit and in truth".

That is, the real intent, the real spirit, of the law. The true. Not some question about a law for a certain time, like laws about how to do sacrifices, but instead the Law in the capital L sense, in spirit and in truth.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
We agree, but for that it's better in my view to directly take His wording just as it is, simply that this "is the law and the prophets". I don't even have to necessarily get every possible wrinkle, but instead I must get the central meaning -- this is what is the good and right thing to do, and "is the law and the prophets".
True,
the TORAH is righteous and just and perfect and the purpose is to lead to Christ,

but many children and others may be led by YHWH and Jesus
and the children and others may not even know the law/ TORAH
yet they know from YHWH and JEsus what to do and it is right, see?

What is right will NEVER contradict TORAH nor any part of YHWH'S WORD (SCRIPTURE),
but , gentiles especially who have no TORAH,
might not realize when they do what is right from the heart
that what they are doing is TORAH, from the heart, where YHWH wrote it as He Promised!

Especially true since so many others will wrongly and sinfully tell them to ignore TORAH.

• Useful
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes and be involved in and occupied with those pure things, would be a good place to start, correct? Instead of focusing on law so much...?

Jesus said if you love me, keep my commandments (John 14:15).
Jesus said, if you will enter into life, keep the commandments (Matthew 19:17).
Loving God and loving your neighbor are the two greatest commandments. But there are more commands in the New Testament for believers (of course). Jesus told His disciples to teach what He commanded them to others as a part of the great commission.

Upvote 0

Lily of Valleys

Jun 30, 2017
Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sin is falling short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23)

So everything that we do that deviate from the original intention of how God created human, according to His own image and was very good, have disgraced God, and are sins.

God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them...
God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good.
(Genesis 1:27, 31 NASB)

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

Who's right...?

Comments...?

God Bless!

Sin is when something misses the mark, i.e. is not like God is, or doesn't act like God acts. With this is view, it is important to understand that if parents put up with their kids when they "miss the mark" how much more will the Heavenly Father whose expression of character is the very definition of love? Food for thought.
Sin isn't so much what you do, but what it does to you. Sin in Romans 7 is described as a law within the body, much like the perfect law of liberty in James ... not a list of offenses, but a living nature that exists in opposition to God living in our bodies and all creation because the first humans allowed it.
The proper view of sin is not to thwack every limb for every offense .. or sever for that matter. The proper view is to look at what God does to try and lead us to repentance ... he expresses kindness, this is what is expressed after a particularly long list of sins in Romans Chapter 1. That kindness is the approach God is taking to lead people to walk in the opposite direction .. and I'd think God knows best, yeah?

Upvote 0

SBC

Jul 9, 2017
US
✟38,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Sin is...

Off point - Just wanted to tell you....this is awesome!!

Remember to be like little children, Jesus taught this for a good reason.
bliss.gif

God Bless,
SBC

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
One Rabbi gave a man $50 when the man came to him and said he needed $50.

Another Rabbi gave a man $50 after a man explained in detail why he needed the money, and deciding it was a worthy request.

Which Rabbi acted righteously ? (according to the Rabbis)
Which Rabbi obeyed Jesus ? (according to Scripture)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SBC

Jul 9, 2017
US
✟38,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
One Rabbi gave a man $50 when the man came to him and said he needed $50.

Another Rabbi gave a man $50 after a man explained in detail why he needed the money, and deciding it was a worthy request.

Which Rabbi acted righteously ? (according to the Rabbis)
Which Rabbi obeyed Jesus ? (according to Scripture)

Both
Both

God Bless,
SBC

Upvote 0

SBC

Jul 9, 2017
US
✟38,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hint: one obeyed Jesus and Torah.
one followed their own feelings not caring what Torah or Jesus said to do.

The first simply gave - Answer you sought?
The second decided IF the man was worthy - probably not the answer you are looking for.

I said both, because the man appealed and was given. ;)

God Bless,
SBC

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
sin is to have a life of yourself and things secondary to God rather than in union with God. this can become very hard to discern and so men who had a religious experience with God tried to lay down some good things as gifts for those that are too lame to attain unto the heights of life that the more mature of them attained. but since sin is corruption away from the highest glories and does not know God it falls into a pit that God dug that we might be caught by him and restored to sanity.

however there are many pathways to the land of promise.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Well - I do not know the Torah. And if one asks, then give, is my understanding of Scripture.

God Bless,
SBC
Amein. As I understand it, there is no 'charity' in Scripture the way a lot of people think - it is 'righteousness' to do what is right - practicing righteousness whenever someone does what is right by faith.
If they do what looks right , but it is just for show, they are not obeying Jesus or YHWH nor TORAH and will not receive any reward , they are not obeying, nor loving, nor right.

example Jesus gave: the widow who put everything she had to live on, a couple coins VS the religious leaders who put in $5000 and $10000.00 for everyone to see.

• Agree
Reactions: SBC
Upvote 0

TheSeekerOfTruth

Mar 25, 2017
Ontario
✟54,066.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Basically sin is a crime against God, there is many sins to name but i'd be here all day if i were to name them all. Sin separates us from God, which is bad because it's contrary to what God wants. Which is to be with man, God desires to be with us even though we're sinful beings. Something which isn't a sin for example is drinking alcohol in moderation, but getting drunk is a different story. Another example of what a sin is, would be unjust anger, but getting righteously angry with someone is fine.

Sin is a complex topic to get into, but is a very interesting topic i'll say.

Reactions: mukk_in
Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

Who's right...?

Comments...?

God Bless!
I see sin or sin nature fundamentally as a rebellion against God. Unless we submit our will entirely to Him, the sin nature will keep popping up and manifest itself in all kinds of "sins" (murder, adultery, theft, etc.). Peace in Christ :).

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Who's right...?

Comments...?

God Bless!
Along these lines:
So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who does not condemn himself by what he approves. But whoever has doubts is condemned if they eat, because their eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin. (Romans 14)

Upvote 0