Workers of Iniquity Meaning in the Bible? What is a Worker of Iniquity?

FlyingTurtle

Aug 6, 2015
The sky
✟7,791.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Without reading the other posts... I would say that working iniquity is like practicing iniquity. That is, it is an active, continual process.

It's not simply having hit a rough patch in your relationship with God due to hard times and falling away a bit. It's living an unrepentant lifestyle, with no intention of repenting at all.

My opinion.

Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2014
✟8,110.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I realize we're just chatting and not acting as Teachers, but I want to encourage that we study these terms. Without studying the scriptures (by which you show yourself approved unto God), your conclusions will always mislead you.

God would be redundant if iniquity, sin and transgression were all the same which is not his style. His words are precise and explicit, leaving no room for confusion. He says exactly what he means.

From what I've found, when he speaks of workers of iniquity, they are not just servants of sin. They promote destruction through deceit, influencing people to believe lies about God and Jesus.

Psalm 14:4 Have all the workers of iniquity no knowledge? who eat up my people as they eat bread, and call not upon the Lord.

Psalm 64:2 Hide me from the secret counsel of the wicked; from the insurrection (a violent uprising against an authority or government) of the workers of iniquity:

Workers of iniquity are specifically against God, against the truth, as oppossed to a brother trespassing against a brother or neighbor. It's like they work on behalf of Satan, deceived and deceiving others. And in these times there are many who do, who come in Jesus name, to whom Jesus will say I never knew you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2014
✟8,110.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Additionally, the context of the scripture, "ye that work iniquity" is premised on false prophets, and not sinners in general as we're inclined to define the term. Look at the progression of his statements. I think his counsel is on one subject.

Matthew 7:15 Beware of false prophets

Matthew 7:18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit

Matthew 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them

Matthew 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter the kingdom

Matthew 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in they name?

Matthew 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me ye that work iniquity.

Upvote 0

Dan61861

7 days without God, makes one weak.
Jul 21, 2012
Valparaiso, Indiana
✟102,026.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In my humble opinion, a worker of iniquity is a prideful individual that finds righteousness in himself.

When reading Matt 7, we see these types of individuals. Instead of standing before the Lord and saying, Lord have mercy on me a sinner. They justify themselves by saying look what we have done, look upon our wonderful works. They have put off humility, and put on self righteousness.

In Christ
Daniel

Upvote 0

Xalith

Apr 6, 2015
✟19,943.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In my humble opinion, a worker of iniquity is a prideful individual that finds righteousness in himself.

When reading Matt 7, we see these types of individuals. Instead of standing before the Lord and saying, Lord have mercy on me a sinner. They justify themselves by saying look what we have done, look upon our wonderful works. They have put off humility, and put on self righteousness.

In Christ
Daniel

That's a good way of looking at it. Anybody who says "Have mercy on me, a sinner" knows he has sinned, and feels repentant.. or at least should, lol.

The people who go "look what we did!" seem to believe that they can justify themselves which is totally not what He said.

There's some wisdom in that, I'd have to admit.

Upvote 0