✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
This came up in another thread

This one: The Offer of Salvation is given to "all" who choose to Believe!

Posts #43, 44, 47, and 50...

What is, or what qualifies as a "work" Biblically speaking...?

As pointed out in that thread, some think that the decision to believe, or have faith is a "work", but I think there taking works to extremes, saying that were not supposed to be able to be saved, and our salvation is not dependent on anything we do, therefore saying anything that we do is a work...

But, I don't think that is entirely accurate, and I ask...? "What is a"work"?" and what is not...?

I think salvation is dependent on Faith, on Believing, which is something we have to do, or at the very least "choose"... But, that is not a "work" is it?

Comments..?

God Bless!

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
According to St. Paul, anything in which we can boast over and against another could be considered a work:

I have applied all this to myself and Apol′los for your benefit, brethren, that you may learn by us not to go beyond what is written, that none of you may be puffed up in favor of one against another. For who sees anything different in you? What have you that you did not receive? If then you received it, why do you boast as if it were not a gift? (1 Corinthians 4:6-7)

So it depends not upon man’s will or exertion, but upon God’s mercy. (Romans 9:16)​

Upvote 0

brightlights

A sinner
Jul 31, 2004
USA
✟28,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Faith is not a work in any meaningful sense. Faith is the instrument by which we grab ahold of Christ.

Some say that:
  1. We are saved by faith in Christ
  2. Our faith is a work of ours by which we merit salvation
  3. Therefore we are saved by works (more specifically - the specific work of faith).
But Paul teaches that we are saved by the righteousness of Christ imputed to us. This means that the works of Christ are imputed to us. This means that none of our works are imputed to us.

We know that if we have forgiveness of sins that God does not impute our sins to us. Rather, he imputes them to Christ who suffers on the cross for sins.

But if God does not impute our sins to us, then he does not impute any of our works to us. All of our works - both good and bad - are imputed to Christ and all of his works of righteousness are imputed to us.

• Agree
Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
According to St. Paul, anything in which we can boast over and against another could be considered a work:

I have applied all this to myself and Apol′los for your benefit, brethren, that you may learn by us not to go beyond what is written, that none of you may be puffed up in favor of one against another. For who sees anything different in you? What have you that you did not receive? If then you received it, why do you boast as if it were not a gift? (1 Corinthians 4:6-7)

So it depends not upon man’s will or exertion, but upon God’s mercy. (Romans 9:16)​
So, it's only a work, if you make it into an idol...?

Upvote 0

Kiterius

CF's Favorite Member
Dec 24, 2016
Earth
✟32,893.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Faith is not a work in any meaningful sense. Faith is the instrument by which we grab ahold of Christ.

Some say that:
  1. We are saved by faith in Christ
  2. Our faith is a work of ours by which we merit salvation
  3. Therefore we are saved by works (more specifically - the specific work of faith).
But Paul teaches that we are saved by the righteousness of Christ imputed to us. This means that the works of Christ are imputed to us. This means that none of our works are imputed to us.

We know that if we have forgiveness of sins that God does not impute our sins to us. Rather, he imputes them to Christ who suffers on the cross for sins.

But if God does not impute our sins to us, then he does not impute any of our works to us. All of our works - both good and bad - are imputed to Christ and all of his works of righteousness are imputed to us.

You say that we have to grab ahold of Christ - that's a work!

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
So, it's only a work, if you make it into an idol...?

Something like that, I'd say. Someone could boast in their faith and make it into a work, but it isn't necessary that this would happen. As a Catholic, this is how I consider all "works."

Upvote 0

brightlights

A sinner
Jul 31, 2004
USA
✟28,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You say that we have to grab ahold of Christ - that's a work!

Not a work that merits salvation. My grabbing ahold of Christ is not even imputed to me. I am judged solely on the basis of the righteousness of Christ.

Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

Kiterius

CF's Favorite Member
Dec 24, 2016
Earth
✟32,893.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not a work that merits salvation. My grabbing ahold of Christ is not even imputed to me. I am judged solely on the basis of the righteousness of Christ.

You have to do something with your brain in order to believe. That's a work.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jeremiah 17:9. The "heart" of man is the brain. The "heart" has to be convinced, persuaded, led, in order to believe. That which convinces, persuades, and leads is the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit moves into the foreground --- the heart (brain) gets out of the way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kiterius

CF's Favorite Member
Dec 24, 2016
Earth
✟32,893.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jeremiah 17:9. The "heart" of man is the brain. The "heart" has to be convinced, persuaded, led, in order to believe. That which convinces, persuades, and leads is the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit moves into the foreground --- the heart (brain) gets out of the way.

So your belief is mindless? :confused:

Upvote 0

roamer_1

Jan 12, 2016
Northwest Montana, USA
✟23,570.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
'Works' are 'works of the law'... keeping Torah.
I don't see where people come up with anything else.
Keeping Torah is expected, just as keeping the laws in your father's house were expected. Go and sin (break Torah) no more.

Salvation comes from Yeshua. works follow.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I think you're trying to say that we learn towards God...but the mind is still there though. It still trys to tell you this is crazy and so on same thing with the flesh. But through the holy ghost an individual is more equipped to resist now.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So your belief is mindless? :confused:
It is a Spiritual event, not a mind-mental-emotional one. The Believer, in context, is one who hears and obeys the revelation from the Holy Spirit, not the brain (or "heart").

Reactions: JESUS=G.O.A.T
Upvote 0

Kiterius

CF's Favorite Member
Dec 24, 2016
Earth
✟32,893.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is a Spiritual event, not a mind-mental-emotional one. The Believer, in context, is one who hears and obeys the revelation from the Holy Spirit, not the brain (or "heart").

What is the believer using to hear and obey?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What is the believer using to hear and obey?
The Holy Spirit is the Spokesperson for God. We hear Him, Spiritually. He reveals His plan for each of us not on a mental chart, but through Spiritual enlightenment.

Upvote 0

Kiterius

CF's Favorite Member
Dec 24, 2016
Earth
✟32,893.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Holy Spirit is the Spokesperson for God. We hear Him, Spiritually. He reveals His plan for each of us not on a mental chart, but through Spiritual enlightenment.

So you're saying that the person hears the Spirit of God using their spirit. Okay, that's still a work.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So you're saying that the person hears the Spirit of God using their spirit. Okay, that's still a work.
'fraid not. HE is my God-ordained, God-gifted Spiritual interpreter and applier of scripture.

Upvote 0

Kiterius

CF's Favorite Member
Dec 24, 2016
Earth
✟32,893.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
'fraid not. HE is my God-ordained, God-gifted Spiritual interpreter and applier of scripture.

You said that the believer hears and obeys the Spirit of God using their spirit. Are you retracting that comment now?

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You said that the believer hears and obeys the Spirit of God using their spirit. Are you retracting that comment now?
Nope, didn't say that. The Holy Spirit speaks to my Spiritual Nature, the latter provided by Him. He installs the antenna, broadcasts His Truth, all one operation.

Upvote 0