• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is a Republican?

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by stamperben, Jan 22, 2014.

1. stamperben

stamperben It's an old family tradition

+4,046
    Humanist
    Private
    What is a Republican?

And I ask, where did they go?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. NightHawkeye

NightHawkeye Work-in-progress Supporter

+7,056
    Methodist
    Married
    Are you joining the TEA party to reform the Republican party, Ben? :scratch:

3. Grizzly

Grizzly Enemy of Christmas Supporter

+1,610
    Atheist
    Married
    Based on the linked article, I would say that he's arguing for the exact opposite.

4. stamperben

+4,046
    Humanist
    Private
    One thing that struck me in reading this was the fact that I actually admired Ted Cruz for the fact that he used populist language in bringing up wealth discrepancy in the country. Of course where Cruz and I differ is in that he puts the blame all on the President and his policies whereas I put the blame on an increasingly unfettered capitalist system - no matter who is at it's head.

But to answer your question, no, I'm not joining the teacup society. I'm just pointing out how some of your own - if you vote Republican - have real good ideas on how to save the GOP from oblivion. Do with it what you will.

5. JoyJuice

JoyJuice Senior Veteran

+453
    Agnostic
    US-Others
    Don't know who the author is, and contrary to some thread participants here who can't grasp the evolution of the GOP when it came to the south and race, the article knocks it out the park.

6. Ishraqiyun

Ishraqiyun Fanning the Divine Spark

+142
    Single
    US-Others
    I just scratch me head when people blame Obama's "liberal" policies of supposed tax increases and redistribution of wealth for causing greater wealth inequality. You mean like signing the continuation of the Bush tax cuts? Offering new tax cuts? Allowing social safety net programs to be cut? What significant policies has he even put through to alter the economy in favor of income inequality? Practically nothing. He has just carried on with the same status quo policies. Not much change is going to come when you have a bland centrist / status quo president and a do nothing congress.

If anything associated with Obama is going to be connected with increasing wealth disparity it would be precisely that he didn't do anything. He just sat on his hands while talking loudly about it. In that regard you could call him Bush Jr Jr.

7. Ishraqiyun

Ishraqiyun Fanning the Divine Spark

+142
    Single
    US-Others
    People also seem to forget that in a capitalist country the capitalists (bankers, CEOs , etc..) have the most control of the economy. The state of the economy almost never gets blamed on the actions taken by the people most involved in the whole process for some reason. Like they run things from behind the scenes and no one is supposed to talk about it. It's always the president (or more rarely congress) that made the economy falter never bad business decisions or the economic cycles of the market. People act as if we have a Soviet style planned economy.

8. NightHawkeye

NightHawkeye Work-in-progress Supporter

+7,056
    Methodist
    Married
    I'm not sure what world you're living in, Ishraqiyun. :scratch:

[​IMG]

There are a lot of "fat cats" in federal prison for shenanigans which are minor compared to the escapades of the current administration. :wave:

9. Savior2006

Savior2006 Guest

+0
  10. stamperben

+4,046
    Humanist
    Private
    I thought that went without saying Turk. ;)

11. Savior2006

Savior2006 Guest

+0
    That makes it all the more fun to say it.:cool:

12. GoldenBoy89

GoldenBoy89 We're Still Here

+12,463
    Humanist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    An endangered species :D

13. stamperben

+4,046
    Humanist
    Private
    "What is a Republican?"
    Be still my heart!

14. GoldenBoy89

GoldenBoy89 We're Still Here

+12,463
    Humanist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Looking at my comment, I just realized it was not grammatically correct as a Republican would be a single member and not an entire species but.... You get the idea.

^_^

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  15. JoyJuice

JoyJuice Senior Veteran

+453
    Agnostic
    US-Others
    No kiddin, Either change, or go the route of that "lie from the pit of hell" of evolution most of em don't believe in.

16. scraparcs

scraparcs aka Mayor McCheese

+4,410
    Private
    I just straight up admit to being a RINO. I won't align with the all-too-often overt racism of the Tea Party types, although I liked some of their ideas. I'm also on the opposite end of most Republicans on a few social issues. We aren't all products of white male Southerners. Far from it.

17. CounselorForChrist

CounselorForChrist Senior Veteran

+198
    Christian
    Private
    Democrats and republicans are all the same today to me. Long ago it used to be christians were almost always republican because republicans tended to have christian morals and views. And non-christians tended to always be democrat because they tended to have unchristian morals and views. Today the lines are so blurred that both parties might as well be the same. Its why I don't have a party I stand for. I pick the least terrible person for president and hope for the best.

18. TerranceL

TerranceL Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?

+4,545
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    What is a republican?

The same thing a democrat is with a different sales pitch.

19. Savior2006

Savior2006 Guest

+0
    I think that makes you an independent rather than a RINO.

20. JoyJuice

JoyJuice Senior Veteran

+453
    Agnostic
    US-Others
    Just the other day the RNC came out with a memo basically saying if you do no support the repeal of abortion, you will not get any support from the RNC.

What is a Republican is becoming more and more narrow every day.