✟38,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Genesis 20:
And Abraham journeyed from there to the South, and dwelt between Kadesh and Shur, and stayed in Gerar.
2Now Abraham said of Sarah his wife, She is my sister. And Abimelech king of Gerar sent and took Sarah.
3 But God came to Abimelech in a dream by night, and said to him, Indeed you are a dead man because of the woman whom you have taken, for she is a man’s wife.
4 But Abimelech had not come near her; and he said, Lord, will You slay a righteous nation also?
5 Did he not say to me, ‘She is my sister’? And she, even she herself said, ‘He is my brother.’ In the integrity of my heart and innocence of my hands I have done this.
6 And God said to him in a dream, Yes, I know that you did this in the integrity of your heart. For I also withheld you from sinning against Me; therefore I did not let you touch her.
7 Now therefore, restore the man’s wife; for he is a prophet, and he will pray for you and you shall live. But if you do not restore her, know that you shall surely die, you and all who are yours.

Here we find the first use of the word nabi=prophet in the OT.
Why was Abraham a prophet
in the eyes of God?
Because Abraham made intercession on behalf of Sodom and Gomorrah.

Genesis 18:23. And Abraham came near and said, Would You also destroy the righteous with the wicked?

And what led him to stand before God on their behalf?

Genesis 18:17, 18. And the Lord said, Shall I hide from Abraham what I am doing, since Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him?

Just as it is written:

Amos 3:7 Surely the Lord God does nothing,
Unless He reveals His secret to His servants the prophets.

Deuteronomy 34:10. But since then there has not arisen in Israel
a prophet like Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face.

How often did Moses find himself standing before God on behalf of Israel?
This came to pass because they refused to hear God's voice.

Exodus 20:19. Then they said to Moses, You speak with us, and we will hear; but let not God speak with us, lest we die.

This led to this promise/prophecy:

A New Prophet Like Moses Deuteronomy 18:
The Lord your God will raise up for you a Prophet like me from your midst, from your brethren. Him you shall hear,
16 according to all you desired of the Lord your God in Horeb in the day of the assembly, saying, ‘Let me not hear again the voice of the Lord my God, nor let me see this great fire anymore, lest I die.
17 And the Lord said to me: ‘What they have spoken is good.
18 I will raise up for them a Prophet like you from among their brethren, and will put My words in His mouth, and He shall speak to them all that I command Him.
19 And it shall be that whoever will not hear My words, which He speaks in My name, I will require it of him.
20 But the prophet who presumes to speak a word in My name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or who speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet shall die.’
21 And if you say in your heart, ‘How shall we know the word which the Lord has not spoken?
22 when a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the thing does not happen or come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him.

What is the role of the prophet and prophecy in
the New Testament?

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Genesis 20:
And Abraham journeyed from there to the South, and dwelt between Kadesh and Shur, and stayed in Gerar.
2Now Abraham said of Sarah his wife, She is my sister. And Abimelech king of Gerar sent and took Sarah.
3 But God came to Abimelech in a dream by night, and said to him, Indeed you are a dead man because of the woman whom you have taken, for she is a man’s wife.
4 But Abimelech had not come near her; and he said, Lord, will You slay a righteous nation also?
5 Did he not say to me, ‘She is my sister’? And she, even she herself said, ‘He is my brother.’ In the integrity of my heart and innocence of my hands I have done this.
6 And God said to him in a dream, Yes, I know that you did this in the integrity of your heart. For I also withheld you from sinning against Me; therefore I did not let you touch her.
7 Now therefore, restore the man’s wife; for he is a prophet, and he will pray for you and you shall live. But if you do not restore her, know that you shall surely die, you and all who are yours.

in the eyes of God?

Genesis 18:23. And Abraham came near and said, Would You also destroy the righteous with the wicked?

Genesis 18:17, 18. And the Lord said, Shall I hide from Abraham what I am doing, since Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him?

Just as it is written:

Exodus 20:19. Then they said to Moses, You speak with us, and we will hear; but let not God speak with us, lest we die.

The Lord your God will raise up for you a Prophet like me from your midst, from your brethren. Him you shall hear,
16 according to all you desired of the Lord your God in Horeb in the day of the assembly, saying, ‘Let me not hear again the voice of the Lord my God, nor let me see this great fire anymore, lest I die.
18 I will raise up for them a Prophet like you from among their brethren, and will put My words in His mouth, and He shall speak to them all that I command Him.
19 And it shall be that whoever will not hear My words, which He speaks in My name, I will require it of him.
20 But the prophet who presumes to speak a word in My name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or who speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet shall die.’
21 And if you say in your heart, ‘How shall we know the word which the Lord has not spoken?
22 when a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the thing does not happen or come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him.

the New Testament?
The New Testament prophets were the same as in the Old. But ended when scripture became complete. All NT prophets today are self-made and false.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
The New Testament prophets were the same as in the Old. But ended when scripture became complete. All NT prophets today are self-made and false.
The Armenian Christians who, led by detailed prophetic visions escaped genocide at the hands of the Turks would beg to differ.

In addition to scripture, the historic record itself is sufficiently clear to disprove the nonsense that God ceased to speak to his servants when the apostles died.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟718,332.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Genesis 20:

in the eyes of God?

Just as it is written:

the New Testament?

I understand a prophet to be an inspired teacher, can include ... or not include the ability of predicting the future.

Let us not forget there are false prophets and can very well be inspired by the evil one.

the New Testament?

varies ... depends on the context where the word prophet is being used.

Last edited:
Upvote 0