Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Exactly what the title says.

Not what a pastor should NOT do - there's enough threads with that -

But if you were to write a job description - what would some of his/her duties be? Don't be general, but specific - what should the pastor's work week look like? Days, hours - etc.

I'm curious because there's a whole lot of people saying the pastor shouldn't do this - the pastor shouldn't do that - well, what should he do?

I'm an associate pastor and I'll share my work week (heh, week) if you want.

Faithful Love

Jesus is Love and He is Faithful
May 22, 2008
✟8,551.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
My viewpoint differs with many, but here it is anyway:D

Pastor's job description:

Feed on the Word in order to feed others.
Delegate any and all duties that prevent feeding on the Word to others.

By the same token, the church members should do ALL in their power to assist the pastor in his above duty.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My viewpoint differs with many, but here it is anyway:D

Pastor's job description:

Feed on the Word in order to feed others.
Delegate any and all duties that prevent feeding on the Word to others.

By the same token, the church members should do ALL in their power to assist the pastor in his above duty.

Ok - how does that look in practical terms - are you saying the pastor should pray and study 40 hours a week?

Upvote 0

map4

Love Never Fails
Mar 29, 2008
Texas
✟10,762.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wow...makes you step back and think, lol

My pastor preaches/teaches on Sun. morning and Wed. night. (our youth pastor does Sun. night). So he has to pray and prepare for those unless the Holy Spirit leads us differently during the service.

Mon. nights are open for the men of the church to get together and pray. Our pastor is there.
Thur. nights are open for anyone in the church to come and pray. He is there also.

I know he is very hands on and we have a fairly small church so he does or helps with maintenance on the building.

He is available 24 hrs a day for us.

My pastor likes to talk so I know he spends time on the phone with other pastor friends :D which is good for him.

I really don't know what all he does for us as a body...probably more than I or anyone else realizes (except his family)

Upvote 0

merryheart

bookworm nerdgirl
Mar 1, 2004
Oregon, USA
✟13,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The primary goal of a pastor is to promote unity of the body. This is done by example in putting others needs ahead of own, being an example of Christian love, providing spirit-led counsel, teaching, service, being there to comfort when necessary.

I believe all Christians are called to pastor - to some degree or another.

Upvote 0

Faithful Love

Jesus is Love and He is Faithful
May 22, 2008
✟8,551.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Ok - how does that look in practical terms - are you saying the pastor should pray and study 40 hours a week?

In a nutshell, yes. His full-time job is to prepare for feeding the sheep. He should do whatever he needs to do to be able to feed the sheep assigned to him - whether that be prayer, study, resting, reading, planning, receiving from others, and more.

When a pastor is bogged down by administration, meetings or by people calling at all hours of the day and night with problems others could help with, he is not able to do what he needs to do.

I believe a pastor should be ministered TO as much as possible in order to allow him to bring the best to his flock. Ministering to ones pastor would include not bothering him with problems one can solve themselves or go to someone else for help, not bothering him with trivial administrative items, paying him a more-than-livable wage and providing him with living quarters conducive to peace and the ability to do his job, and most of all, not critiquing his every word and move.

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Pastor should:

Spend sufficient time in study of word and prayer in order to teach.

If Pastor is not gifted with Teachers anointing should bring in guest teachers.

Pastor responsible to bring in Apostle, Prophet and Evangelist so that saints may be perfected for...........

Eph 4:11-12
11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
KJV

Pastor should recognize and encourage growth of ministry gifts in the church.

Also recognize and encourage growth of spiritual gifts with teaching and the gifts and what they are, what they do and their purpose.

Encourage and lead Intercessory Prayer if no one else anointed to do it.

Encourage youth ministers.

Pastor also responsible for overseeing the business end of the church.

Upvote 0

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
These Scriptures give a good description:

1 Timothy 1
Fight the Good Fight

18 This charge I commit to you, son Timothy, according to the prophecies previously made concerning you, that by them you may wage the good warfare, 19 having faith and a good conscience, which some having rejected, concerning the faith have suffered shipwreck, 20 of whom are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I delivered to Satan that they may learn not to blaspheme.

1 Timothy 2
Pray for All Men
1 Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, 2 for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, 4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave Himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time, 7 for which I was appointed a preacher and an apostle—I am speaking the truth in Christ[a]and not lying—a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth.

1 Timothy 3
Qualifications of Overseers
1 This is a faithful saying: If a man desires the position of a bishop,[a] he desires a good work. 2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded, of good behavior, hospitable, able to teach; 3 not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money,[b] but gentle, not quarrelsome, not covetous; 4 one who rules his own house well, having his children in submission with all reverence 5 (for if a man does not know how to rule his own house, how will he take care of the church of God?); 6 not a novice, lest being puffed up with pride he fall into the same condemnation as the devil. 7 Moreover he must have a good testimony among those who are outside, lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.
Qualifications of Deacons

8 Likewise deacons must be reverent, not double-tongued, not given to much wine, not greedy for money, 9 holding the mystery of the faith with a pure conscience. 10 But let these also first be tested; then let them serve as deacons, being found blameless. 11 Likewise, their wives must be reverent, not slanderers, temperate, faithful in all things. 12 Let deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well. 13 For those who have served well as deacons obtain for themselves a good standing and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus.

1 Timothy 4
The Great Apostasy
1 Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, 2 speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron,

Be blessed in Jesus' Name.

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Pastors are sinners like us however, they have to live in higher standards than regular Christians because they are our spiritual leaders. When a local church lose their respect for their pastor, it is a sure sign that this pastor has outlived his usefulness to that congregation. It is important for us to relize that the pastor-church relationship is very sensitive and vitally important issue. I believe the hardest part as a Christian is being like-Christ and try to live in a "blameless" life. We do not expect our pastors to be the only ones who are acting like-Christ and live in a blameless life. ALL members of the Church must live in a blameless life, be the shining light to the lost and bring them to Christ. The pastor should be known as a man of Christian character and conduct and there should be demonstrable evidence of his mature, Christian character. God is obviously concerned with the character of the men put in the office of pastor.

Pastor/Elder qualifications: Titus 1:6-9 ".....must be blameless, the husband of but one wife, a man whose children believe and are not open to the charge of being wild and disobedient. Since an overseer is entrusted with God's work, he must be blameless-not overbearing, not quick-tempered, not given to drunkenness, not violent, not pursuing dishonest gain. Rather he must be hospitable, one who loves what is good, who is self-controlled, upright, holy and disciplined. He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it.

In Ephesians 4:11 the words "pastors" and "teachers" may be joined together due to the nature of the Greek phrasing in that sentence as gift of pastor-teacher. "Pastor" refers to one who has a pastoral oversight over others as a "Shepherd". This position often requires by many Churches that pastors are to be "ordained". It is based upon the idea of shepherding and looks back to the pattern of Jesus, who described himself as "the good shepherd" (John 10:11) and is referred to as "the great" (Heb. 13:20) and "Chief Shepherd" of the sheep (1 Pet. 5:4).

A pastor is a 24 hour a day, 365 days a year job. A pastor is not merely an honored dignitary; the Lord has called him to a lifelong task. Paul told Timothy, “Do the work of an evangelist” (2 Tim. 4:5). Ephesians 4:12 says church leaders are to equip the saints “for the work of service.” Serving the Lord is hard work and requires diligence. Paul explained two forms of the word desire in 1 Timothy 3:1: “If any man aspires to the office of overseer, it is a fine work he desires to do.” “Aspire” (Gk., orego) means to “reach out” or “stretch,” and refers to external movement. “Desires” (Gk., epithumeo) means “a passionate compulsion,” and speaks of an internal drive. The desire is not to be for the office or title of overseer, but for the work itself. Paul ends 1 Timothy 3:1 with the words, “It is a fine work he desires to do.” If you merely want the position or title of pastor, your desire is wrong. Your passion should be for the doing of the work of God.

Upvote 0

irenemcg

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2004
Caught up in the Heavenlies
Visit site
✟24,981.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
A good pastor will encourage his flock to be more than folks sitting in a pew, he will encourage the whole body in Christ under him to move into ministry, i.e get involved be it tea making, stewarding, prayer ministry etc etc and to be witnesses in their community, encourage unity, help the flock to grow up and he will allow the Holy Spirit to guide him in all that he or she does. He will spend time with the Lord in prayer and Bible study and he will listen to the voice of God. He will walk in wisdom and discernment. The fruits of the Spirit and the gifts of the Spirit will be seen in him. He will move in the gifts of the Spirit and encourage others to do so. Another thing required in a good pastor is listening skills and counselling skills.

Reactions: pinetree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A good pastor will encourage his flock to be more than folks sitting in a pew, he will encourage the whole body in Christ under him to move into ministry, i.e get involved be it tea making, stewarding, prayer ministry etc etc and to be witnesses in their community, encourage unity, help the flock to grow up and he will allow the Holy Spirit to guide him in all that he or she does. He will spend time with the Lord in prayer and Bible study and he will listen to the voice of God. He will walk in wisdom and discernment. The fruits of the Spirit and the gifts of the Spirit will be seen in him. He will move in the gifts of the Spirit and encourage others to do so. Another thing required in a good pastor is listening skills and counselling skills.
yup..

I would also add,maybe part of his job is to learn,what is not his job each day.

Maybe people in expect too much from our brothers..:)

Upvote 0

ImmersionX

Apr 1, 2008
✟1,065.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The primary goal of a pastor is to promote unity of the body.
Actually as far as the subject of unity of the body is concerned, I believe a pastor is to preach the word/live the word first, and then pray like he's never prayed before that it actually works. So many pastors get burned out because of the dis-unity in a church....always a troublemaker, always someone who thinks they can do the job better by constantly bugging the pastor with this and that.Just my 2 cents....I don't disagree, just expanding on your statement.Peace and God Bless.

Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
But if you were to write a job description - what would some of his/her duties be? Don't be general, but specific - what should the pastor's work week look like? Days, hours - etc.

If *I* would write it ? Ok .
A pastor's job description would be
1) a Christian
2) a servant
3) self-dependant on needs of money and living
4) having wisdom and understanding through the Holy Spirit when people have problems

I can't think of anything else at this time

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
WOW!, all that is very scriptural - but very vague also.

By using the term vague, I mean you guys and gals leave a whole lot of room for interpretation.
Depends on what you define "interpretation" as for specific duties for each denominational and non-denominational pastoral positions. Failing to evaluate the church's true condition. All churches have problems. Beware the search committee who answers a prospective minister's query, "What are your problems?" with "Oh, we don't have any problems." Be honest about your church's condition.

"Shepherding" is easy to interpret however doctrinal from man's point of view, interpretations can go many different directions. Looking at responsibility regarding leaders, responsibility regarding members of the local Church, responsibility regarding worshiping God and responsibility regarding the ministry of the Holy Spirit, we need to understand what God desires, not what man desires. We have to remember that we are not alone and that our spiritual lives that we will always face both negatives and positives. We all need to focus in following God for today and tomorrow. Pastors and Church members often forget the most important is the Holy Spirit who is able to lead us to have a great Church. The problem is this, we do not know what Spirit-filled really means nor do we know how to practice Spirit-filled virtues. I do have some concerns with some who are "professed preachers" in this world. Those who claim to follow and teach the "Word" MAY NOT be following the Word. This is where we are to understand what the Bible says about discerning and how teachers should behave and teach. I have the most respected preachers who tells their listeners how Christians are to test the spirits including their own teachings.

Each local Churches have different needs. Churches need pastors with different skills, gifts, and abilities at various stages in their development. A church planted five years ago does not need another church planter when its pastor leaves; it needs a pastor for an established church to take it to the next level of growth. Look carefully at your vision for ministry to determine what your church really needs. That is a ministry that overflows out of the relationship that a pastor have with the Lord, which comes from the study of His Word. That overflows from the pastor's personal & professional life and touches the lives of those in the congregation. And as a local church grow together, out of that comes the nurturing of a humble, teachable and lovable spiritual leadership.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.