Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

This commercial by Egard Watches is in answer to the feminist #metoo Gillette commercial that, in my opinion, promotes the message that most men are faulty in Gillettes opinion and thus need improvement.

I have said in another thread in regards the modern trend to demonize men through the false narrative of "toxic masculinity":

Again, there is no such thing as "toxic" masculinity. There is no maleness that taken to an extreme is dangerous.

There is a certain danger in the extremely insecure, as they see themselves as not possessing various (potentially desirous) traits, and therefore use other means of masquerading as someone in possession of them.

Strength, for instance, is a positive trait which can be either emotional or physical. Someone who is insecure and doesn't see themselves as being in possession of strength will sometimes try to display strength by beating up someone weaker. However, this isn't a display of strength at all, its a display of massive insecurity.

It's the insecurity which is dangerous and not "strength". They feel powerless in their insecurity, so they seek instances to demonstrate power - not strength. It's nothing to do with masculinity at all.

The man secure in his strength has no need to display anything as he is confident in what he has possession of. It will then rear it's head during times it's needed; when someone weaker needs protecting, etc.

Berating the insecure is far from likely to help their insecurity any, truly that's more like feeding the beast.

Berating all men because they are men, isn't helpful either, that just plays into the hands of a bunch of insecure women who are currently making a power play.

I'm not putting my money toward something that goes against what I know and believe

I hold to that thought process, there is nothing inherently "toxic" about either masculinity nor femininity - God created us male and female and called it good. We are His children, and He called His creation good.

Fallen mankind in a fallen world is faulty, but there is nothing about berating people that will fix the falleness of mankind. Such a thing becomes harmful to our society when your pitting male against female etc.

If we want people to be the best version of themselves provide a good Christian example. Be that Child of God whom people want to touch the hem of your garments because you are such an example of God. Share the message of salvation with the lost

9893f94336c2e20d01099c2dbdb81a37--charles-spurgeon-quotes-christian-faith.jpg

I like the commercial in answer to Gillette, it's positive. I'd far rather join with something positive, than divisive negativity.

I have a husband, son, and grandsons and I refuse to call any of them toxic for being men. It's called verbal abuse and I won't engage.

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

This commercial by Egard Watches is in answer to the feminist #metoo Gillette commercial that, in my opinion, promotes the message that most men are faulty in Gillettes opinion and thus need improvement.

I have said in another thread in regards the modern trend to demonize men through the false narrative of "toxic masculinity":

Again, there is no such thing as "toxic" masculinity. There is no maleness that taken to an extreme is dangerous.

There is a certain danger in the extremely insecure, as they see themselves as not possessing various (potentially desirous) traits, and therefore use other means of masquerading as someone in possession of them.

Strength, for instance, is a positive trait which can be either emotional or physical. Someone who is insecure and doesn't see themselves as being in possession of strength will sometimes try to display strength by beating up someone weaker. However, this isn't a display of strength at all, its a display of massive insecurity.

It's the insecurity which is dangerous and not "strength". They feel powerless in their insecurity, so they seek instances to demonstrate power - not strength. It's nothing to do with masculinity at all.

The man secure in his strength has no need to display anything as he is confident in what he has possession of. It will then rear it's head during times it's needed; when someone weaker needs protecting, etc.

Berating the insecure is far from likely to help their insecurity any, truly that's more like feeding the beast.

Berating all men because they are men, isn't helpful either, that just plays into the hands of a bunch of insecure women who are currently making a power play.

I'm not putting my money toward something that goes against what I know and believe

I hold to that thought process, there is nothing inherently "toxic" about either masculinity nor femininity - God created us male and female and called it good. We are His children, and He called His creation good.

Fallen mankind in a fallen world is faulty, but there is nothing about berating people that will fix the falleness of mankind. Such a thing becomes harmful to our society when your pitting male against female etc.

If we want people to be the best version of themselves provide a good Christian example. Be that Child of God whom people want to touch the hem of your garments because you are such an example of God. Share the message of salvation with the lost

I like the commercial in answer to Gillette, it's positive. I'd far rather join with something positive, than divisive negativity.

I have a husband, son, and grandsons and I refuse to call any of them toxic for being men. It's called verbal abuse and I won't engage.
Thanks, I appreciate when women are allies.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Does this mean I don’t have to shave my chest?

So I'm trying to resist the mental image of a hairy bodybuilder and it's not working out so well. Like Duck Dynasty plus body building.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Does this mean I don’t have to shave my chest?
Don't do it man (stop shaving your chest, that is) :eek: You know that your kids and friends will miss your chest art at the pool club this summer if you do!!

6a0133ec7b075a970b019aff327c78970b-250wi

Last edited:
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don't do it man (stop shaving your chest, that is) :eek: You know that your kids and friends will miss your chest art at the pool club this summer if you do!!

6a0133ec7b075a970b019aff327c78970b-250wi
Yikes!

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thank you for posting this. Our current climate is eager to destroy the sanctity of God's creation. And like you I don't adhere to the suggestion of "toxic masculinity" or femininity. These are broken people doing awful things in a wretched world. Nonetheless, we are fearfully and wonderfully made because He said so.

It's important that we refute their attempts to redefine our divinity. We are being pressured within and without but we must not relent. I commend your positive outlook. It's so refreshing to hear a woman speak this way! :clap:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Both commercials seem to be equally over the top.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

That was a wonderful, healing message, both for men and for society, whereas the other was negative and divisive. Gillette will never get another dime from me.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That was a wonderful, healing message, both for men and for society, whereas the other was negative and divisive. Gillette will never get another dime from me.
...uhmm...they said the exact same things and as far as I can tell were pretty much the same so can you point out what made one "negative and divisive" and the other "wonderful and healing"? :scratch:
tulc(seriously can't see where they differ) :sorry:

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟688,036.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
...uhmm...they said the exact same things and as far as I can tell were pretty much the same so can you point out what made one "negative and divisive" and the other "wonderful and healing"? :scratch:
tulc(seriously can't see where they differ) :sorry:

what's the difference, in your point of view, in talking to a child who did "x" wrong and explaining to them what they did wrong and why it's wrong, and calling a child evil because their brother did "x" wrong?

curious if you see either scenario as abuse?

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
The problem with the second video is that it doesn't address ANY of the problems with bullying behavior, abuse, and harassment that the first video attempts to address. Pretending those things don't exist isn't a solution.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
and calling a child evil because their brother did "x" wrong?

I don't see where either commercial called anyone evil.

If you consider the commercials without the accompanying hype, the messages are fairly congruent, though the Gillette commercial is probably a bit more honest in it's presentation.

You have to be careful with presenting statistics, especially when there are other known related statistics which are not being presented.

Both commercials have a bias, which is only to be expected.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: tulc
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟688,036.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't see where either commercial called anyone evil.

If you consider the commercials without the accompanying hype, the messages are fairly congruent, though the Gillette is probably a bit more honest in it's presentation.

You have to be careful with presenting statistics, especially when there are other known related statistics which are not being presented.

Both commercials have a bias, which is only to be expected.

we've been over this. Apparently you don't care so there is no point having the same debate all over again.

Well thank God some of us are willing to stick up for the majority of men in America who happen to be good people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
How do you know that the majority of men (or women) are good people? People are not good by nature and it is only through the grace of God and the power of the Holy Spirit that we do good and not evil all the time continuously like in the days of Noah.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
we've been over this. Apparently you don't care so there is no point having the same debate all over again.

Well thank God some of us are willing to stick up for the majority of men in America who happen to be good people.

That I don't agree with you in every instance does not mean that I don't care ... or that I don't support Americans who happen to be good people ...

I've shared in discussions with you on several occasions. Most of the time we are in a fair amount of agreement. There's no need to demean me just because we don't share the same position in this case.

Upvote 0