Dark_Lite

Chewbacha
Feb 14, 2002
✟45,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Humanism is a type of atheism in the same way that Christianity is a type of theism.

Humanism bases its moral structure upon a social contract ethic.

About Humanism

Secular humanism, yeah. Humanism in general not really. There is Christian humanism.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
There seems to be a lot of folks at play on this message board that "claim" to be "Humanist"

Why use the word claim, and why put it in scare quotes? If people self-label themselves, I tend to take them at their word.

Is "Humanist" another word for Atheist?

No, you see, atheists prefer their broiled kittens with BBQ sauce, but secular humanists prefer honey mustard...

It's as simple as this: Secular humanists are a subset of atheists, just as Christians are a subset of theists. Secular Humanism refers to a collection of related worldviews that are secular in nature, and thus attract atheists.

I am an atheist, but I am not a secular humanist, although I may be similar in some ways. Here is a good secular humanist site to check out:

Council for Secular Humanism

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

GrowingSmaller

Muslm Humanist
Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Basically secular humanism is a non-religious world view that advocates science and evidence based, logical reasoning; emphasis on this world rather than a next (which probably won't come to be anyway); rational and responsible persuit of pleasure and other secular goods like enjoyment of theatre, learning or sports; religious tolerance; benign attitude towards humanity in general with a focus on what good we can achieve; the promotion of a secular worldview and the defense of it's reputation and political possibility.

IIRC secular humanists were involved in a bus campaign to promote secular beliefs, with these words written on the bus in pink, red and orange: "There probably is no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Atheism is just a belief that there are no gods. I look at humanism as a moral philosophy. A set of general ethical principles. It dovetails nicely with atheism. Because whereas theistic morality is based on claims of divine revelation and command, humanistic morality is based on studying human psychology and social dynamics. Broadly speaking, humanism provides a moral code for the godless. And in practice, there is little in humanism that would be unacceptable to religious believers.

Upvote 0

tucker58

Jesus is Lord
Aug 30, 2007
✟10,231.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Basically secular humanism is a non-religious world view that advocates science and evidence based, logical reasoning; emphasis on this world rather than a next (which probably won't come to be anyway); rational and responsible persuit of pleasure and other secular goods like enjoyment of theatre, learning or sports; religious tolerance; benign attitude towards humanity in general with a focus on what good we can achieve; the promotion of a secular worldview and the defense of it's reputation and political possibility.

IIRC secular humanists were involved in a bus campaign to promote secular beliefs, with these words written on the bus in pink, red and orange: "There probably is no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

This is really weird GS :) but major thank you :) !

just love,

tuck

Upvote 0

tucker58

Jesus is Lord
Aug 30, 2007
✟10,231.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Atheism is just a belief that there are no gods. I look at humanism as a moral philosophy. A set of general ethical principles. It dovetails nicely with atheism. Because whereas theistic morality is based on claims of divine revelation and command, humanistic morality is based on studying human psychology and social dynamics. Broadly speaking, humanism provides a moral code for the godless. And in practice, there is little in humanism that would be unacceptable to religious believers.

And thank you also jayem for being a rational mind in the middle of what ever my mind is :) . Your input is appreciated! Major "hugs", you are an Atheist that I could love! And you are actually a rational human being, relative to my world of things!

love you!

tuck

Upvote 0

Received

True love waits in haunted attics
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
✟38,594.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Humanism clearly isn't incommensurable with theism. Any type of Christianity that advocates social justice and conceives of salvation as defined by a relationship with God here, in the present, is definitely humanistic.

I think the term "humanist" is a good way of redefining the main goal when theism is thrown out. Namely, on human beings. A more proper title would be "exclusive humanism". After all, historically humanism grew out of theistic grounds for reasons presented above, most of all the lack of interest in pushing paradise off to an afterlife.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sphinx777

Nov 24, 2007
Bibliotheca Alexandrina
✟10,752.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Humanism is an approach in study, philosophy, or practice that focuses on human values and concerns. The term can mean several things, for example (1) a historical movement associated especially with the Italian Renaissance; (2) an approach to education that uses literary means or a focus on the humanities to inform students; (3) a variety of perspectives in philosophy and social science which affirm some notion of 'human nature' (by contrast with anti-humanism); and (4) a secular ideology which espouses reason, ethics, and justice, whilst specifically rejecting supernatural and religious dogma as a basis of morality and decision-making.

The latter interpretation may be attributed to Secular Humanism as a specific humanistic life stance. Modern meanings of the word have therefore come to be associated with a rejection of appeals to the supernatural or to some higher authority. This interpretation may be directly contrasted with other prominent uses of the term in traditional religious circles. Humanism of this strand arose from a trajectory extending from the deism and anti-clericalism of the Enlightenment, the various secular movements of the 19th century (such as positivism), and the overarching expansion of the scientific project.

Humanist, humanism, and humanistic may also refer simply and loosely to literary culture.

:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

Upvote 0

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
In the valley of the wind
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Basically what other posters have said, though for me I define humanism as a value system that works towards the improvement of mankind. I also believe in it because I feel that it's possible have morals and ethics without being religious and without the aid of a supernatural being.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BrianOnEarth

Feb 9, 2010
✟8,311.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
AHA Manifesto III sums it up for me:
Humanist Manifesto III

Humanism is a progressive philosophy of life that, without supernaturalism, affirms our ability and responsibility to lead ethical lives of personal fulfillment that aspire to the greater good of humanity.

The lifestance of Humanism—guided by reason, inspired by compassion, and informed by experience—encourages us to live life well and fully. It evolved through the ages and continues to develop through the efforts of thoughtful people who recognize that values and ideals, however carefully wrought, are subject to change as our knowledge and understandings advance.

Fresh air.

Upvote 0