Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have seen this word used, and rather than further derail a thread, I'd like to discuss it separately.

What is this word? It's obviously a portmanteau of "fundamentalist" and "evangelical". I've only ever seen a few people use it, and all of them were posters here. The previous one, Rocinante, hasn't been around in some time.

Lemme see whether I can find the definition he gave. (Oddly, he spelled it the same way you do, with a capital G, and wrote all in green! Shame he's not around anymore, you guys would get along like a house on fire.)

Ahh, found it:

From here:

They are the haters of homosexuals and the deniers of health insurance to little children. They are those who support the war against Iraq and the occupation of Palestine.

They are those who support the assassination of the leaders of the other side because we have the power to do it.

They are totalitarians.

That about covers it.​

But such a word seems an unlikely diagnosis for a variety of people ranging from Quakers to Deists, so I assume that's not what it is.

I'd like to clarify; it's not that I haven't seen a broad range of Christian beliefs. It's that I don't know this word. The chances are that I am familiar with whatever characteristic group it denotes; I'm just not clear about this term for them.

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have certainly seen it used in a way which suggests that your analysis is not far off. :) However, I'd like to know more about it. I mean, both of the words you give as examples do have etymologies and meanings which can tie them to something. When I was a little kid, I thought the n-word referred to the little guys in space invaders; I was wrong. :) But my point is, I think the word presumably has some kind of derivation.

But I'm wondering whether it's specific to, say, points of doctrine, or an attitude about how doctrine is formed, or what.

Upvote 0
F

Foon Nerfdahl

Seebs, you probably will not ever figure this or anything else out.

In the other debate you said you thought Stephen died because he was pierced by arrows.

Even a comic strip (Charlie Brown) does better than you......I remember Linus watching the clouds and instead of horsies and angels like the other kids.......he thought he saw the stoning of Stephen.

I'm used to debating with FundaGelicals who have at least a slight familiarity with the Bible. I'm not sure what your background is but I suspect your Bible is dusty......like those of most of the people here who seem to want to argue with me.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Foon Nerfdahl said:
Seebs, you probably will not ever figure this or anything else out.

Probably not! That's why I am asking.

But in this post, rather than answering my question, you insult me. Why? Does calling me ignorant educate me?

In the other debate you said you thought Stephen died because he was pierced by arrows.

Yes.

I always get him confused with Sebastian.

I'm used to debating with FundaGelicals who have at least a slight familiarity with the Bible. I'm not sure what your background is but I suspect your Bible is dusty......like those of most of the people here who seem to want to argue with me.

I know the Bible tolerably well, but I have a horrid memory for names.

Nonetheless, you still haven't found time away from your busy schedule of telling me how ignorant I am to enlighten me.

Can you offer a definition of the term "FundaGelical"? Can you offer a rubric for determining whether a given person qualifies?

Every usage I can think of would almost certainly exclude application to Deists, for instance; obviously, I am missing something. If you would explain what this word means, I would have an easier time understanding your concerns about it.

Upvote 0

Soul Searcher

The kingdom is within
Apr 27, 2005
West Virginia
✟39,544.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
seebs said:
I'd like to clarify; it's not that I haven't seen a broad range of Christian beliefs. It's that I don't know this word. The chances are that I am familiar with whatever characteristic group it denotes; I'm just not clear about this term for them.

fundagelical n. a fundamentalist or evangelical Christian; a person who evangelizes or espouses fundamentalist beliefs for any cause. Also adj. English, United States, Religion, Derogatory .

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
"Fundagelical" is a portmanteau of "Fundamentalist" and "Evangelical". It highlights the fact that Evangelical Christianity in the United States evolved from Fundamentalist Christianity and has much more in common with fundamentalism than it does with evangelical movements in the eighteenth or nineteenth century or with evangelicalism in Europe. The term first appeared on Usenet in the early 1990s, and simply seemed to be a used for convenience (so that the author would not have to repeatedly include "fundamentalists and evangelicals" in his phrasing.) It was adopted by participants in various Christian discussion forums and its meaning shifted to the one described above. From there, it spread to Christian-related blogs. The word was not very popular outside Christian blogs until the 2004 presidential elections in the United States, when the Guardian ran a widely-ridiculed article on the word, in which the article's author, John Sutherland, announced the word was "current in the blogosphere" which while technically true, carried the implication that the word was popular in the blogosphere, which was not true.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Feb 5, 2005
Wasatch Mountains
✟15,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Does it not seem ironic that someone so bent on labeling people this way and continuing to hammer those who are considered "fundamentalist and evangelical" or fundagelical in this case..is in fact just as adament about their point of view and therefore ironically falls under the catagory of "fundagelical"?

Or am I the only who sees the irony of that?

Casi (just call me ...oh ...wait...um yeah...liberpagan)

Reactions: Abiel
Upvote 0

Vegas

Jul 6, 2006
✟670.00
Faith
Christian
Casiopeia said:
Does it not seem ironic that someone so bent on labeling people this way and continuing to hammer those who are considered "fundamentalist and evangelical" or fundagelical in this case..is in fact just as adament about their point of view and therefore ironically falls under the catagory of "fundagelical"?

Or am I the only who sees the irony of that?

Casi (just call me ...oh ...wait...um yeah...liberpagan)

That's it! We need a counter name... if there are fundagelicals then there must be ... "liberpagans" or the like. HedoHumanists?
How about a contest?

Upvote 0

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Feb 5, 2005
Wasatch Mountains
✟15,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Vegas said:
That's it! We need a counter name... if there are fundagelicals then there must be ... "liberpagans" or the like. HedoHumanists?
How about a contest?
While Humanists or Hedonists can be Pagan not all Pagans are Humanists or Hedonists.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cleany

"I desire mercy, not sacrifice&am
Aug 2, 2005
Berkshire
✟9,292.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
seebs said:
I have seen this word used, and rather than further derail a thread, I'd like to discuss it separately.

What is this word? It's obviously a portmanteau of "fundamentalist" and "evangelical". I've only ever seen a few people use it, and all of them were posters here. The previous one, Rocinante, hasn't been around in some time.

Lemme see whether I can find the definition he gave. (Oddly, he spelled it the same way you do, with a capital G, and wrote all in green! Shame he's not around anymore, you guys would get along like a house on fire.)

Ahh, found it:

From here:
They are the haters of homosexuals and the deniers of health insurance to little children. They are those who support the war against Iraq and the occupation of Palestine.

They are those who support the assassination of the leaders of the other side because we have the power to do it.

They are totalitarians.

That about covers it.​
But such a word seems an unlikely diagnosis for a variety of people ranging from Quakers to Deists, so I assume that's not what it is.

christian fundamentalisms roots are in evangelicalism, and the beliefs of fundamentalists and evangelicals can be interchangeable. the term describes therefore many christians whos beliefs and/or behaviour cannot fully be satisfied by the term "fundamentalist" or "evangelical".

personally i dont use the term because it is too ambiguous. mind you so is the term "christian" lol.

Reactions: Vegas
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.