AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Trumped just got schooled on name calling and playing social media!

But it was Kim's use of the term "dotard," that has set the internet alight. While not widely used today, the insult is centuries old, appearing in medieval literature from the ninth century.

Searches for the term have spiked in the wake of Kim's address, according to dictionary Merriam-Webster, which defines the term as referring to "a state or period of senile decay marked by decline of mental poise."

Full story here -->:wave:^_^

Living Soul

Aug 28, 2017
New England
✟21,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Both of them kind of suck at name calling.

I agree. But tell me you wouldn't pay good money to see Trump and Alec Baldwin go at it in a live, impromptu rap battle. The true New Yorker in both of them would blossom like never seen before.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree. But tell me you wouldn't pay good money to see Trump and Alec Baldwin go at it in a live, impromptu rap battle. The true New Yorker in both of them would blossom like never seen before.
Being an actual actor, I would expect Baldwin to absolutely crush Trump in a rap battle. Definitely be worth seeing.

Reactions: Living Soul
Upvote 0

Targaryen

Scripture,Tradition and Reason
Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
Being an actual actor, I would expect Baldwin to absolutely crush Trump in a rap battle. Definitely be worth seeing.

I don't know Trump can come up with gems like covefe and nambia.

Reactions: Living Soul
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

hah. I wish that 100% true. Unfortunately, both of them are moderately good at propaganda for playing to their base.

We can only hope the checks and balances we have are enough, and I don't really know if they are; I heard a part of a piece on NPR news the other day that contrary to popular belief, a president can unilaterally use nuclear weapons.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Living Soul

Aug 28, 2017
New England
✟21,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hah. I wish that 100% true. Unfortunately, both of them are moderately good at propaganda for playing to their base.

We can only hope the checks and balances we have are enough, and I don't really know if they are; I heard a part of a piece on NPR news the other day that contrary to popular belief, a president can unilaterally use nuclear weapons.

I wasn't aware that Kim Jong-Un had anything other than a base. If you oppose him, you go on vacation for a long time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Obliquinaut

Сделайте Америку прекрасной
Jun 30, 2017
Washington
✟35,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Trumped just got schooled on name calling and playing social media!

Full story here -->:wave:^_^

While I think the Kim regime is an unhinged pathetic excuse for a government, when I read that this morning I had to give mad props for the use of dotard. It's not used enough these days.

• Agree
Reactions: lasthero
Upvote 0

Obliquinaut

Jun 30, 2017
Washington
✟35,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It's still Kim Jong-Un that did so. So Trump's a dotard. But Kim's psychopathic. So tit for tat really.

Oh surely we can do better than "psychopath"! We have the entire glory of the English language to choose from!

Bedlamite, anyone?

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,740.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
People are probably more familiar with the adjective dottering, as in dottering old fool.
Ermmm... that would be 'doddering old fool' I think.

I know this because I am one.
OB

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

You do realize that Kim doesn't speak English and the term came from an interpretation of the Korean word he used.

Upvote 0

Obliquinaut

Jun 30, 2017
Washington
✟35,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You do realize that Kim doesn't speak English and the term came from an interpretation of the Korean word he used.

To be fair, he may have been educated in Switzerland, but it sounds like there's mixed messages over whether he spoke english at any point. At any rate, he could possibly speak more than just Korean.

That being said, it is probably as you say, the translation that came out as close as possible to the Korean term. But still, I mean, dotard is a great word!

• Agree
Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0