What is a Christian to do?

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
What can help a Christian let go of looking at his sin and his own performance? I mean, works are evident in a true Christians life naturally but what about them not doing works for almost an entire year due to him losing almost all of his mobility to several blood clots. What about them being happy and content with what they have instead of having to have the latest and the greatest around? They spend more money and time into their hobbies instead of feeding and clothing the poor that need it and instead of providing for their family.

They're so occupied with money and buying the things they "need" that they frequently need help from their church and from the bank of mom to pay for the important things and take care of the family?

That they're such a failure as a husband that they let their wife walk all over them and spend money on making sure her "nerd" needs are met and ignore her actual needs. That he's been physically abused by his wife in the past and can't let that go to be a good Christian husband to that wife?

This person is a complete failure as a Christian and wants to be like Jesus more than anything else in the world who wants to please their creator but yet sin gets in the way? This person desires more than anything to be perfect in the eyes of God and cannot accept that Christ accomplished exactly what he wants and desires when he died for his sheep on the cross.

This person is me, and I am so pathetic. I don't just repent to God, I am in full repentance each and every day I am alive because all I am to God is just a complete failure. I have to face the truth that I will never be the person that God desires me to be no matter how sovereign he is. I just cannot accept this anymore. I care more about myself than I care about God's people.

I hate that God has taken away my mobility and that I can barely walk anymore. Not only has it been affecting my church life but it's also been affecting my spiritual life. Is there anything I can do to achieve the success that so many other Christians have and that i used to have before this stupid year began?

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What can help a Christian let go of looking at his sin and his own performance? I mean, works are evident in a true Christians life naturally but what about them not doing works for almost an entire year due to him losing almost all of his mobility to several blood clots. What about them being happy and content with what they have instead of having to have the latest and the greatest around?

There are paraplegic and quadriplegic Christians, blind ones, deaf ones etc and all of them can have the works of faith, praise, and a testimony about who God is ...

So I am not sure what your question is?

Are you assuming that if any health issue arises then a Christian cannot claim promises , share his/her testimony or praise God?

I hate that God has taken away my mobility and that I can barely walk anymore.

Yet -- you are here ... and you can post and people read your posts and think about them. How is that not the "works" of sharing what you know about God with others?

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
There are paraplegic and quadriplegic Christians, blind ones, deaf ones etc and all of them can have the works of faith, praise, and a testimony about who God is ...

So I am not sure what your question is?

Are you assuming that if any health issue arises then a Christian cannot claim promises , share his/her testimony or praise God?

Yet -- you are here ... and you can post and people read your posts and think about them. How is that not the "works" of sharing what you know about God with others?

I don't know. You have a point there. But all I can see is my failure my question was mostly how do I get past that? Since like you said, there are paraplegic Christians who can still serve God. I just don't see how because paraplegics can't go out and spread the gospel. Hope I'm making sense.

Upvote 0

William J

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2021
Buffalo, NY
✟266,481.00
Country
United States
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Single
You're being very hard on yourself, and it's understandable because you're frustrated by your lack of mobility. God knows exactly what you are going through and He knows what you can and can't do right now. If you do whatever good deeds you can do that will be enough for God. Thanks to the wonders of the Internet, you can interact with people all over the world from the comfort of your home. You can be a light of Christ to so many people through your computer.

Upvote 0

Sheila Davis

Nov 18, 2020
Houston
✟65,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth - Matthew 5:5
Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 5:5 - King James Version

PSALMS 37:11 KJV "But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace."

Reading your words _ You are not pathetic - you are a gentle, kind, meek person.
There is not a Christian, a person - that does not required daily repentance and most try to be as Christ would have them be. None of us can accomplish what Jesus did and none of us are perfect - through Christ we will be made / are perfect in the eyes of God.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I mean, works are evident in a true Christians life naturally but what about them not doing works for almost an entire year due to him losing almost all of his mobility to several blood clots.

Um...

"to whom much is given, much is expected"

To whom blood clots are given, I don't think the expectations are so much on you.
So... what have we been doing for you lately brother?

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That he's been physically abused by his wife in the past and can't let that go to be a good Christian husband to that wife?

That one could be tough; have the two of you been through counseling over the issue? That might be the way to go with that one.

Upvote 0

saved24

Forgiven
Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2011
Canada
✟839,659.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I don't know. You have a point there. But all I can see is my failure my question was mostly how do I get past that? Since like you said, there are paraplegic Christians who can still serve God. I just don't see how because paraplegics can't go out and spread the gospel. Hope I'm making sense.
They can pray for others, that is a wonderful ministry.

• Agree
Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I mean, works are evident in a true Christians life naturally

What are ' works ' ?

They are far more than what people do physically, in fact a 'major'work is the attitude to how we live.
May I suggest that you start having a few minutes reading the bible and a commentry on that passage and praying about any thoughts that strike you from the reading.

You sound like you are suffering from depression and have not come to terms with your lose of mobility.
Is there any one you could talk to?

If you cannot work your income will be affected, so take the lead and discuss how you will pay your bills, about budgeting with a reduced income.

Make the effort to attend church, partly for joining in corporate worship, partly for the encouragement you get meeting people and for the encouragement you will be to others.

Upvote 0

subtlecollision

Feb 8, 2020
Wisconsin
✟31,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry for the tough times you've had lately, but the fact that you feel sorrowful about things that you've done (or not done) is a really good sign. That means that your heart is towards God, and that's important. :) So I wouldn't be so hard on yourself.

I think the best way to let go of feeling like a failure or looking at your performance is to be overwhelmed by God's love. How much do you think about God's love? It sounds like you have a lot of shame. Can you truly learn to believe that God's love can overcome your shame once and for all? You don't have to feel bad about yourself all the time.

I'm sorry, too, about what your wife did to you. :( I pray that you would find healing with the help of a Christian counselor.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
You're being very hard on yourself, and it's understandable because you're frustrated by your lack of mobility. God knows exactly what you are going through and He knows what you can and can't do right now. If you do whatever good deeds you can do that will be enough for God. Thanks to the wonders of the Internet, you can interact with people all over the world from the comfort of your home. You can be a light of Christ to so many people through your computer.

I agree. My problem though is I'd rather do nothing than spread the gospel. It's true. I hate being handicapped now and mostly confined to my home but it's a miracle I'm even still alive. Doctors have told me that I should have died and I'm extremely lucky i didn't suffer a stroke because most of their patients in my particular situation had strokes and/or died. I mean I had a blood clot everywhere except for my brain.

So it's clear God wants me alive. But what my purpose is and actually accomplishing that purpose is another story.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
That one could be tough; have the two of you been through counseling over the issue? That might be the way to go with that one.

We actually haven't. I called the police on her the very last time she repeatedly struck me with her purse and that put an end to it.

My Pastor is aware of the abuse and problems in our marriage though. He's been working with us and has been nothing but my best friend.

Reactions: Petros2015
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry for the tough times you've had lately, but the fact that you feel sorrowful about things that you've done (or not done) is a really good sign. That means that your heart is towards God, and that's important. :) So I wouldn't be so hard on yourself.

I think the best way to let go of feeling like a failure or looking at your performance is to be overwhelmed by God's love. How much do you think about God's love? It sounds like you have a lot of shame. Can you truly learn to believe that God's love can overcome your shame once and for all? You don't have to feel bad about yourself all the time.

I'm sorry, too, about what your wife did to you. :( I pray that you would find healing with the help of a Christian counselor.

I guess not because nobody can reach the bar of perfection that I set myself to. We all want that perfection though so I'm not the only one. There's a reason why God hasn't perfected his people yet.

She actually quit abusing me years ago. Since we've gotten married things have been a lot better. We've been married for seven years now.

Reactions: Petros2015
Upvote 0