Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim B

Jan 12, 2004
Nacogdoches Texas
✟8,962.00
Faith
Christian
I don’t think I have ever heard a clear definition among P/C/W’s about what exactly they mean when they use the term “revival.”

America needs a “revival?” Pray for our church that we will have “revival.” God bring "revival" to our churches? I need a “revival” in my soul? Etc.

I think the word has a subjective meaning that may differ from person to person. Some groups have dropped the term altogether, choosing the word “renewal” but that term may be just as vague as the former.

What do you mean when you use the term? What is “revival” to you?

\o/

riverpastor

Take the Red Pill.
Mar 23, 2004
Ft. Worth
✟20,727.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
JimB,

I believe you're absolutely right as far as the overspread use of the terms "revival" and "renewal". I also believe that they are personal experiences that men and women may have.

I have heard that God has sent "renewal" to the U.S. to prepare us for "revival". What that intends to portray is that God is "renewing" the heart of the church to get us ready for "revival" - a great harvest of lost souls.

There are many buzz words in the church today that are associated with different (here's another personal yet ambiguous word) "movements" that you really wonder if a person has experienced the revival, renewal or movement.

It's kind of like a book I saw today: "The Spirit-Filled Life" by known Baptist Minister Charles Stanley (a great Teacher, no doubt). But, it makes you wonder what "experience" has he himself encountered with the "Spirit-filled" life that P/C/W are familiar with in the terminology.

I believe that there are different levels of revelation of Christ by the Holy Spirit within and I believe that the Spirit moves us from one glory to another in Christ. I could consider this "revival" to me.

An evangelist may say, "revival" is when lost souls are won to the Lord. A teacher may say that "revival" is when people (lost/saved) receive revelation of the Truth that sets them free. We all look through glasses towards these things. Some are rose-colored, some are gold-colored, some are blue-colored...

What do you call revival? What does revival do? What does it not do? How does it affect Christians and the lost? What is revival NOT?

rp

Upvote 0

kenneth558

Believer in the Invisible
Aug 1, 2003
Omaha, NE
Visit site
✟19,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You know what Jim B? I have the same questions about terms used in so many of my classes. Each textbook redefines terms the way that particular author prefers. Then I as a mere student have to use the same term to mean slightly things in the different classes. So I no longer get too hung up on it any more. You just have to learn how the term is defined by group you happen to be communicating with. I'm afraid it'll be that way until heaven....:(

Upvote 0

LynneClomina

Jan 31, 2004
Canada
Visit site
✟17,768.00
Faith
Calvinist
Revival.
Re-vival.
Re - vive.
to bring life back to something that has died or passed out.
by definition it would have had to have been alive beforehand.
so I cant see how it would apply to unbelievers....
i think it is going from lukewarm to HOT!!!!!!
individually, corporately, nationally, but it's gotta be the body, not the unsaved, IMO.

Upvote 0

Hobo No More

Nov 9, 2003
Visit site
✟7,901.00
Faith
Christian
At college I am doing coursework on Revival. Part of the work is to define the term 'revival'. By looking at dictionary definitions, cultural understandings and biblical understandings I have learnt that Revival isn't really the mass conversions of many people over a short amount of time. That is the result or by-product of revival. Revival refers to a 'recovery of Christ's glorified testimony within a particular generation of the church'. The marks of such reviving include corporate repentance, humility, renewed spiritual vigor, holiness of life, and large sweeping movements of corporate prayer.

Spiritual awakening on the other hand, takes place when an already "revived" church begins to righteously leaven the society in which it is located. The evidences of awakening usually include mass conversions and dramatic changes in a given nation's social structure. Virtually every historic revival has inaugurated an awakening which has challenged and reformed society in some degree.
So, while we use the term 'revival' to describe the mass conversion of people it is in fact a Spiritual awakening which is this process.

Upvote 0

riverpastor

Take the Red Pill.
Mar 23, 2004
Ft. Worth
✟20,727.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
enoch son said:
I don't like it either. But I do know what it is. I have been in a room when it hit's (the spirit). And being young (30 yrs ago) and dumb did not know the simple fact not to leave (after 4 hr's of blis). I seek the out pouring that happean around Smith Wigglesworth. And it is coming!

Is revival already not within us?

John 7:37 - In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. 38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. 39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

Isn't revival an outward manifestation of an inward reality of the kingdom of God?

Luke 17:21 - "Nor will they say, `See here!' or `See there!' --for the Kingdom of God is within you." (Weymouth)

Or are we waiting for the Almighty to "come down" (???) from heaven and perform some kind of something outside of us in the NATURAL realm?

riverpastor

Upvote 0

FoundInGrace

God's sparrow
Dec 27, 2003
✟38,472.00
Faith
Christian
From what I understand there is a pattern with revival.
A couple of people start praying for God to move on a group of people - church/country etc (propably called by God to do that) and this may be for years, and then God moves on their church/country.

With renewal maybe thats where God moves again where there has already been revival previously.

Don't know exactly what revival entails - its a God thing but I've wondered if it is an opening of people's spiritual eyes to understand more of God - thats why theres prayer needed first cos maybe theres something stopping that understanding that we can't see.

Heard on the radio yesterday about a woman in vietnam. She, and some others, started praying for their country that God would move there as in other countries even though it was communist etc.
She mentioned that with the group praying they found they needed to repent and make things right with people that they had wronged over their lifetimes so revival also involves this sense of purity and dealing honestly before God, making things right etc.
It took five years of praying and then God did move - can't remember if it was in her church or what sorry, was only half listening while doing housework!

Reactions: LivingWorship
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.