What in the world is going on now? Please help.

searchingforGodlyanswers

Jul 7, 2004
somewhere ;)
✟2,601.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think I might be in trouble when my husband gets home.:eek: :sorry:

Here goes:
Brand new washer, special ordered. Had it maybe 2 months? Never had this happen before to me or parents. 5 settings: Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large, Super. Had it on Super. Just washed hand-made disceased grandmother's quilt with 2 pairs booties on Super on delicate cycle. 1 of the mates is missing. The other 3 are there. Quilt is rather big (about as size of 2 blankets with something inbetween), so I had to stuff it in there, but it really needed washing. The quilt has a hole, maybe missing sock is in there or washing machine literally swalled or I dropped it somewhere (but it's so strange that I can't find it if it were on the floor).
On 2nd load: put load of clothing in. Noticed smell of something burning/burned like rubber... Have gas heater set on 55 and in teens tonight but don't think it is that. Probably the quilt was too heavy for machine to spin while wet, or booty got stuck in it somehow, or something from hole inside quilt came out and got clogged in it and burned motor or something. Thought I turned machine off but it was going when I went to check on clothes that I thought I had left soaking (it went on to next cycle or something---could be switch or wires?). Noticed also that when clothes wash that machine does not spin them anyway. Need to rinse the wet clothing in there which is soaking wet but drained.
Husband at work on night shift but it's late here and I need to go to sleep soon. Any solutions before he comes home? Or reasons why machine is messed up so soon after getting it? Should I go ahead and rinse clothing or leave clothing in there? :scratch:

lucypevensie

Not drinking the kool-aid
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,775,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I were you I'd leave it alone. Running it more could damage it more. It might be something a simple as a replaceable broken belt or something major like a burned out motor. Someone will have to take it apart and find out what's wrong. Sorry this happened:(. Hopefully your DH will be kind and understanding.

Upvote 0

searchingforGodlyanswers

Jul 7, 2004
somewhere ;)
✟2,601.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
lucypevensie said:
If I were you I'd leave it alone. Running it more could damage it more. It might be something a simple as a replaceable broken belt or something major like a burned out motor. Someone will have to take it apart and find out what's wrong. Sorry this happened:(. Hopefully your DH will be kind and understanding.

I hope it's just as cheap as a broken belt and not the whole motor. :sigh:
Thanks. I think I will have to take the wet clothing out and go from there. It's going to be a long night, and I'm just now starting to get sleepy, lol. :yawn:

Upvote 0

searchingforGodlyanswers

Jul 7, 2004
somewhere ;)
✟2,601.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Welcome. :)
I'm still drying the soaking wet clothing lol. I'm still debating if I want to let my husband find out for himself when he goes to wash clothing or if I want to tell him as soon as I get a chance. :scratch: I guess I will figure it out after I hopefully get to take a nap. :yawn:

:pray:

I found the missing booty inside the washing machine with the 2nd load, and it looks okay, so maybe it was just the large thick quilt that wore something out, or maybe it was something wrong with it to begin with....(like other new things that would need a recall done....).

Upvote 0

searchingforGodlyanswers

Jul 7, 2004
somewhere ;)
✟2,601.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
llghoney said:
If it is brand new you should have some type of warranty.
:wave:
Thanks, I didn't even think of that. :idea:
Well, my husband did not yell at me, but he explained how something like the hand-made quilt should be washed at the laundromat. I will from now on, only if they have a gentle cycle, otherwise I might have to just go to the dry cleaners with special instructions (hand wash and hand rinse in regular detergent, air dry), and let them figure out how to clean it.
He tested the machine without clothes and then with a small load, and it spun for him without the burning smell, but later I noticed that the setting on it had been changed to extra large from super with just his small test load. Maybe it will have to be on a different setting from now on? :scratch: I'm still not sure what happened to it. I also remember with the 2nd load of clothing that the detergent did not dissolve like it had been when the wash soaked. Next time I have to wash clothes, I might try the super setting with a smaller amount of clothing, and if it does not spin and has the burning smell again, turn it back down to the extra large setting. If it works on the lower settings, then as annoying as it is, I might just have to use those and have more frequent trips to the washer and have more loads. It's still better than nothing, which is pretty much what we had when we were waiting for the washer to come in, be delivered, and then hooked up. At least it filled up with water for me and soaked the 2nd load and rinsed it (even though it was still soapy lol); it just didn't shake all the dirt loose and mix the powder up with the water.
I think if it continues to have problems or the malfunction(s) get(s) worse, then I'll have to have to have my husband call his father (who works in the gas company that ordered us the washer and dryer set) to find out what it is. If it's this soon after getting it that it's doing this, then maybe it came ready to break from the manufacturing company (with something like the quilt), and I need to ask my husband to find out about the warranty so we can know what our options are and if we should get it checked out.
I just can't have this happening each time I try to wash a blanket or a few bedsheets. I do not want to spend the extra money on all the bedding (maybe just my disceased grandmother's quilt) to be washed at a laundromat when the washer should be be doing that for us, as it is brand new.
I guess I will find out when I wash my next load of clothing....
Thanks for your help. :)

Upvote 0

lucypevensie

Not drinking the kool-aid
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,775,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would think that a regular blanket or set of sheets would fit just fine in there. But I do agree with your husband that you should probably take the quilt someplace else to wash it. Not because it is an heirloom, but because it is BIG and gets heavy when water is added (you probably already realize this). Look at a laudromat and see if they have some of the large capacity wash machines. You can fit about 3 loads of laundry in one of those things. It costs about $3.50 to wash and another couple dollars to dry. I usually take our quilts home when they are damp and let them air dry the rest of the way. Save a couple bucks. I really only have to wash quilts a couple times a year. it's not too expensive if you look at it that way.

Upvote 0

Im-revived

Working for God, through our Lord.
May 5, 2005
England
✟7,494.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
UK-Labour
OH DEAR, Tell himm to do a wash load and then blame him. LOL

No seriously don't use it, sounds like the bands going or gone on the spinner, one of the pipes could be slightly blocked and even the heating isn't right on it, may need a new one sorry. It sounds ill:sick:

Im-revived
searchingforGodlyanswers said:
I think I might be in trouble when my husband gets home.:eek: :sorry:

Here goes:
Brand new washer, special ordered. Had it maybe 2 months? Never had this happen before to me or parents. 5 settings: Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large, Super. Had it on Super. Just washed hand-made disceased grandmother's quilt with 2 pairs booties on Super on delicate cycle. 1 of the mates is missing. The other 3 are there. Quilt is rather big (about as size of 2 blankets with something inbetween), so I had to stuff it in there, but it really needed washing. The quilt has a hole, maybe missing sock is in there or washing machine literally swalled or I dropped it somewhere (but it's so strange that I can't find it if it were on the floor).
On 2nd load: put load of clothing in. Noticed smell of something burning/burned like rubber... Have gas heater set on 55 and in teens tonight but don't think it is that. Probably the quilt was too heavy for machine to spin while wet, or booty got stuck in it somehow, or something from hole inside quilt came out and got clogged in it and burned motor or something. Thought I turned machine off but it was going when I went to check on clothes that I thought I had left soaking (it went on to next cycle or something---could be switch or wires?). Noticed also that when clothes wash that machine does not spin them anyway. Need to rinse the wet clothing in there which is soaking wet but drained.
Husband at work on night shift but it's late here and I need to go to sleep soon. Any solutions before he comes home? Or reasons why machine is messed up so soon after getting it? Should I go ahead and rinse clothing or leave clothing in there? :scratch:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JPPT1974

April Showers and Easter 2024!
Mar 18, 2004
Small Town, USA
✟569,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Im-revived said:
OH DEAR, Tell himm to do a wash load and then blame him. LOL

No seriously don't use it, sounds like the bands going or gone on the spinner, one of the pipes could be slightly blocked and even the heating isn't right on it, may need a new one sorry. It sounds ill:sick:

Im-revived

Yeah don't use it at all
Because you don't want to do something that you might alter regret
Hope things workout as well
God bless you!

Upvote 0