• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

What I'm Reading -- How About You?

Discussion in 'Semper Reformanda' started by Cajun Huguenot, Jan 28, 2008.

1. JM

JM Particular Baptist Supporter

+3,095
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    [​IMG]

I fish along the Thames River where Tecumseh fought off the American invaders and it only recently accrued to me that I knew nothing about him. My main fishing spot is behind a monument to a major battle so I thought I should learn a little something about the man. I never realized how instrumental he was in securing the Canadian/British and American boarders.

jm

2. drjean

drjean Senior Veteran Supporter

+4,428
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I've actually been doing so much reading/proofing/editing with Project Gutenberg that I haven't read much IRL lately.

Here are some to add to the mix though:

Who Switched Off My Brain by Dr. Caroline Leaf.
    While this is not religious in nature it adds to the knowledge that will help a believer better find "the mind of Christ".

The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse by David Johnson and Jeff Van Vonderen
    This book helps the reader to recognize and escape spiritual manipulation and false spiritual authority within the church.

3. Iosias

Iosias Senior Contributor

+216
    Christian Seeker
    Private
    The Sea of Faith by Cupitt

4. RINO 72

RINO 72 Newbie

+25
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Has anyone actually read through the Institutes? I've decided to take on a book at a time.

5. singlecandle

singlecandle Newbie

+13
    Calvinist
    Single
    Of Mice and Men by J. Steinbeck

6. JM

+3,095
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    I have, twice. Gord sent me the edition by Hendrickson and I'm working my way through it now. So far I prefer the one volume edition.

7. singlecandle

singlecandle Newbie

+13
    Calvinist
    Single
    You're braver than I am. That book looks daunting.

8. Iosias

+216
    Christian Seeker
    Private
  9. JM

+3,095
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    [​IMG]

10. JM

+3,095
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    [​IMG]

A commentary that is postmil.

11. Iosias

+216
    Christian Seeker
    Private
  12. Hammster

Hammster Citizen of Covidstan. Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+22,606
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    Jesus on Every Page by David Murray.

13. JM

+3,095
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    Approaching End of the Age Viewed in Light of History, Prophecy and Science H. Grattan Guinness.
    [​IMG]

14. AmericanSamurai

AmericanSamurai the super dry member

+163
    Non-Denom
    Single
    ^Is that Beelzebub and his minions? Dude needs to throw on some boxer shorts. :p

15. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Old School Presbyterian

+176
    Christian
    Married
    Calvin's Company of Pastors: Pastoral Care and the Emerging Reformed Church, 1536-1609 by Manetsch

[​IMG]

16. Iosias

+216
    Christian Seeker
    Private
  17. JM

+3,095
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    RESOLVED: To stop the glut of reading! I work in a library and have 3 or 4 books on the go daily and have continued this practice for years and years. I need to stop. At times my Bible reading has dwindled to just a few verses a day and when you compare that to a few thousand pages I normally read, it's not enough.

Starting tomorrow morning I'm taking 7 days to read scripture and scripture alone. No commentaries, no fiction, no theological works, etc. Just the Bible.

Pray for me. It may sound silly but I know this is going to be extremely difficult.

Yours in The Lord,

jm

18. snumerouno

snumerouno Member

+6
    Christian
    Private
    Law & Gospel by C.F.W. Walther

19. AmericanSamurai

AmericanSamurai the super dry member

+163
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Great goal. I get sidetracked from reading Scripture as well. Starting this morning first thing I did before anything else is start reading Scripture for at least half an hour.

20. JM

+3,095
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    I had to start reading again...I was drifting toward watching more television instead of reading...

[​IMG]