What if?

Ration

Certified Brony
Sep 26, 2011
Adelaide
✟15,335.00
Faith
Deist
So, not wanting to start another evolution vs creationism debate (there are plenty of threads for that already). I wanted to put this question out to everyone (theistical evolutionists, atheistical evolutionists, YEC, OEC, etc.).

What if you are wrong?

So, if you are an evolutionist and when you die you get the chance to talk to whatever deity and it explains how it placed fossils and radiodating and various other evidence in favour of evolution to fool people.

For a creationist, this would entail our particular deity explaining in detail the mechanism of evolution and how it used this to foster life (through direct control, or just letting things be depending on your particular belief). For you YEC's/Bible literalists, our deity would explain how the universe is ~13.7 billion years old.

How would you react in this situation? What questions would you ask?

I don't want any "but I'm right and theres no possible way that would happen'' answers. This is a purely hypothetical situation only.

I would be surprised and slightly hurt that a large amount of scientific research was for nothing, and purposely fooling people for no reason at all. I would then proceed to brofist him for being the universes greatest troll of all time.

Ration

Certified Brony
Sep 26, 2011
Adelaide
✟15,335.00
Faith
Deist
For GAP there is nothing to be "wrong" because they accept Science for the most part. We just have to wait for science to catch up and discover what we already know to be true.

I did say I didn't want that kind of answer. I was asking how you would react if your very personal beliefs were not true.

Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'd give him a blank stare, utterly bewildered as to why he would go to such great pains to keep the most intuitive and intelligent individuals out of the know. I'd then of course ask him all about the secrets of reality, since we were all so far off.

Upvote 0

Reine

Sep 11, 2011
✟8,295.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Was going to include it, but realised that then this thread would just develop into a ****storm.
But it has to have occurred to people that God is not a ‘Guy in the Sky’… I asked God in a Lucid Dream to show me how to connect to him completely, mind and body. He showed me a diagram. I was a glad for the directions, but a little sad that I did not get to see him. But, what physical body could contain God? What will we see?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ration

Certified Brony
Sep 26, 2011
Adelaide
✟15,335.00
Faith
Deist
As in no afterlife?

They are not mutually inclusive. Lack of an afterlife does not neccesitate lack of a deity, and lack of a deity does not mean there is no afterlife.

But it has to have occurred to people that God is not a ‘Guy in the Sky’… I asked God in a Lucid Dream to show me how to connect to him completely, mind and body. He showed me a diagram. I was a glad for the directions, but a little sad that I did not get to see him. But, what physical body could contain God? What will we see?

I don't think Gaara meant that he was a man in the sky, but was meerly suggesting the hypothetical reaction to his non existence. His persona doesn't really matter. For all we know he could be a big man with a white beard, Morgan Freeman or actually a formless entity.

Upvote 0

Nick665

Aug 15, 2011
✟18,899.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
How would you react in this situation? What questions would you ask?

I dont know how I'd react. Though I think I'd ask him how come studies have shown that there is a correlation between religiosity and IQ , and what would happen if someone were to have an IQ beyond 200, lets say 400 or 500 or whatever , what would that smart a guy believe or didnt believe ?

Upvote 0

Reine

Sep 11, 2011
✟8,295.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I dont know how I'd react. Though I think I'd ask him how come studies have shown that there is a correlation between religiosity and IQ , and what would happen if someone were to have an IQ beyond 200, lets say 400 or 500 or whatever , what would that smart a guy believe or didnt believe ?
I'm not sure that even an IQ of 1000 would make a difference, considering that our brain is perhaps the size of a grapefruit, and God who is all things has a brain the size of the multiverse, and all of its dimemtions times infinity... what could we really be able to grasp with our limited uderstanding?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Reine

Sep 11, 2011
✟8,295.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They are not mutually inclusive. Lack of an afterlife does not neccesitate lack of a deity, and lack of a deity does not mean there is no afterlife.

I don't think Gaara meant that he was a man in the sky, but was meerly suggesting the hypothetical reaction to his non existence. His persona doesn't really matter. For all we know he could be a big man with a white beard, Morgan Freeman or actually a formless entity.
I was just trying to ask, what if there is a Deity, but you can't see him? Are we expecting to 'see' God? It was my experience that I was sharing that I was trying to see God, but there was no form, just an understanding... God could come into those forms you mentioned. To further your question, I was adding that possibility of what do we expect to see. :)

Upvote 0

Ration

Certified Brony
Sep 26, 2011
Adelaide
✟15,335.00
Faith
Deist
I was just trying to ask, what if there is a Deity, but you can't see him? Are we expecting to 'see' God? It was my experience that I was sharing that I was trying to see God, but there was no form, just an understanding... God could come into those forms you mentioned. To further your question, I was adding that possibility of what do we expect to see. :)

Honestly, if I saw god, I really would hope that it took the form of Morgan Freeman (CURSE YOU BRUCE ALMIGHTY!), or Zooey Deschanel.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What if you are wrong?
Then I'm wrong, but I'm still going to Heaven.

I imagine God is going to show me a lot of things I thought was right, was actually wrong.

Upvote 0