Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi all,
I have a question regarding church.
Due to unforeseen circumstances I have found myself in the position for one week only of not having money for the offering at Church. I am fine but live pension to pension.
What would you do?
I've thought of telling the person collecting before the service, putting a little note in.
(Explaining)
Note: I will make sure that I make up the amount next week.
I'm asking because they will stand waiting.
Do I wave them on?
It is a small church and I am the second person they go to.
Of course the easy way out is not attend but I don't believe God thinks if you have nothing you shouldn't be there.
Basically I want to be honest and not pretend. Its not great I know but its just life at the moment.
Funny thing is just now the weather predicted is not good ( gale force winds etc) so I may not even be able to go as I don't drive in weather warning weather!

AnnaDeborah

Aug 5, 2018
private
✟30,123.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would just wave them on. What you do/don't give is between you and the Lord and not for anyone else to judge, so if they have a problem with you not giving this week, it is their problem, not yours. You should not have to explain yourself to them.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟958,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a difference between tithes and offerings.

We who believe in tithing give 10% off the top of our income (in some fashion*) and live on the remaining 90%.

Offerings, OTOH, are completely voluntary and should only be offered out of your discretionary income, if the Lord so moves you. He doesn't want you to offer money that is obligated to someone else. Discretionary income is that part of your money that you are free to do with as you please. If you do not have discretionary income, you are not expected to make an offering.

*In our house, it is off of net, earned income including tax returns and pensions.

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
why is it you feel you have to give an offering every time you attend?
Well, I usually have something each week for church itself and they come around to each person.
I don't give all the money I set aside for Gods work to the church I attend. I have two other things that I support.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I usually have something each week for church itself and they come around to each person.
I don't give all the money I set aside for Gods work to the church I attend. I have two other things that I support.
Good for you. God works through more than just a local congregation.

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi all,
Due to unforeseen circumstances I have found myself in the position for one week only of not having money for the offering at Church. I am fine but live pension to pension.
What would you do?
I've thought of telling the person collecting before the service, putting a little note in.
(Explaining)
Do I wave them on?
Of course the easy way out is not attend but I don't believe God thinks if you have nothing you shouldn't be there.
Basically I want to be honest and not pretend. Its not great I know but its just life at the moment.
Funny thing is just now the weather predicted is not good ( gale force winds etc) so I may not even be able to go as I don't drive in weather warning weather!

Simply throw 1 penny and in next month you can throw more than you usually do if you want to make up for the bad month.
If somebody rebukes you or even think bad about this then I'd hope God punishes them in some way for thier pride by making them to be just in the same situation as you were this month .

It's nothing wrong to be poor but it's wrong to be hypocrite .
Hypocrite would be a person who buy themselves coke , cigar and say they got no money left for offering .

Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

messianist

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
a
✟282,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for your reply Heavenhome.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi all,
What would you do?
(Explaining)
Do I wave them on?

Most churches have envelopes for weekly offerings so nobody sees the amount given.
Put 10% of your pension in savings. In 10 years you'll have a years worth of savings.

Please put a penny. In the old man's hat.
If you have no penny, A ha'penny will do.
If you have no ha'penny, Then God bless you.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟958,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Most churches have envelopes for weekly offerings so nobody sees the amount given.
For tithes & offerings, I just have online banking send them. It is even more obscured.

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Put 10% of your pension in savings. In 10 years you'll have a years worth of savings.

To God be the glory, I am most thankful to Him because He does indeed supply all my needs.

Upvote 0

John Bowen

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2018
dueba
✟48,940.00
Country
Fiji
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi all,
What would you do?
(Explaining)
Do I wave them on?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all,
What would you do?
(Explaining)
Do I wave them on?
clarify for me .. is your pension taxed ?
no where does the bible say you are to give to a man made organisation on a set regular basis . such teaching are just words twisting and lies

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all,
What would you do?
(Explaining)
Do I wave them on?

The problem here is not your giving, ... but rather, your church's methodology of collecting your gift.

I would think about dropping in a note, explaining the situation.

If you're less concerned about appearances, I'd wave them on ...

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Wave them on.

Honestly, although I come from a church that believes in tithing, I don't believe its necessary. I think my church in particular use that to fearmonger people into giving regularly so that they don't lose the building. Which I get it, there are bills to be paid and stuff. But to go on to say that God is displeased when you're not able to give money wise is foolish teaching and discouraging.

Many other ways to give, if you are still lead to service your church, that is not money. Offering is not only subject money, give in other ways. You can offer your time. Your skills. Ideas on how to serve the members and give to the surrounding community.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hi all,
What would you do?
(Explaining)
Do I wave them on?

Find a church that doesn't collect money.

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Find a church that doesn't collect money.

I truly don't know of any church here that doesn't have a collection.
Thank you to everyone who has replied, I am just going to wave them on. I was considering explaining in a note or something but when I have considered what people have said and prayed also, it is between God and I and I don't have to explain.
When thinking about it I don't care what people think, I just wondered what anyone else would do.
It is a one off that I will rectify the following week.
I have often wondered if that would hinder people attending church, truly some people are pushed to make ends meet and what about the homeless?

I'm not going to go into my personal finances but someone asked if pensions were taxed.
If that is your only income then, no.
I am on disability with no other income so I don't pay tax. Well actually every person in Australia does pay tax- all goods and services are now taxed ten per cent.

Anyway thanks again, I appreciate all that has been said.:)

Upvote 0