What if we melded Evolution and Creation, in some way? That in the beginning, light set out to give

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Hi there,

So I have reached a point where I realize there are ways to agree, between what has to happen by chance and what has to happen by design (and to a certain extent what has to happen by choice - but we will get to that later)... It is not the case that God rules out chance, in order to design His Creation. I think we get confused as Creationists, when they see us appealing to God as if we are saying "no more chances, from now on" - really what we are saying is "as much as I knew to do, I did - now God, take your chances!". It is a fundamental fact that no believer can escape, we still need to take our chances.

This not taking chances thing, is serious and it is something that Evolution prides itself on - too much I would say, but then I know God doesn't create monkeys for the purpose of later creating humans. Nevermind that Evolution prides itself on something, the point is that it expressly appeals to chances of all kinds, in order to make its point, that eventually a chance given strength creeps in. Is it God that allows that strength to creep in? I would say "yes, but with the caveat, that He does not (never does) it randomly" Why? Because God does not want to let go of the hope, that one day we will see eye to eye with Him and communicate with Him, as such.

What can be married between Creation and Evolution, then, is that micro-Evolution is able to take greater chances, especially when taken together with the strength of Creation science, that having been created with this foundation and what is like it, nothing need change. There really is a way to accept that you will have to take chances with your Creation, and then when you do, Evolution is the most accurate way to model the interactions between you and the rest of your species from then on. This way, we keep the window open, to the breeze outside at the beginning of time!

There will be objections, like "I don't want to think about God", "Evolution and chances is all I want to take", "if God created Evolution, why didn't He create Himself?" and so on and so forth. But the fundamental point, is that we will no longer be arguing everything: the Creationists will have his ambiguous beginning (if you don't call "let there be light" ambiguous, we may not be on the same page regarding some aspects of our faith!) and the Evolutionists, will be able to throw themselves, holus bolus, at changing every last thing that feeds on the desire to be different and still accepted by those that were comfortable with whom they were - even if Evolution and Creation both flew to the wind.

There are things that will have to go: "monkeys don't start to learn English, before they become human" we literally have no link between a monkeys heart and a human's mind, "mutations are a good thing", they aren't to something that's working (and can substitute it!), "if you wait long enough, the difference between Creation and Evolution is moot" actually what Creation offers is distinction beyond this life into the next, you can't have more difference than that! Likewise "God said" is not "God expects"; "the word was God" still had to be written down; "behold your king" is something that takes a long, long, long time to understand. These are not permanent obstacles, but they can make someone who isn't prepared to make any compromizes (for good or bad, in principle) a lot more religious, than perhaps with hindsight, they would say themselves they "didn't need to be".

So that is it, I think the marriage can go from there, the weaker theory first Evolution, can start with chances for a given species and the stronger foundation can embrace both the findings there and the findings in the Spirit - just in time to make an appearance at an ethics committee! There is more to be discovered, but what we should be learning here, is that no discovery is made, by leaving more and more to aggression and consumant confusion. If we can beat this, we have a real chance at an open culture that welcomes piety in all its forms, with the one exception that if the Devil wants to make an argument = he can do it, with the pen!

I appreciate your wisdom, in this context.
Not to know the difference, is not not to speak up for it, if in time the difference was as we knew.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi there,

So I have reached a point where I realize there are ways to agree, between what has to happen by chance and what has to happen by design (and to a certain extent what has to happen by choice - but we will get to that later)... It is not the case that God rules out chance, in order to design His Creation. I think we get confused as Creationists, when they see us appealing to God as if we are saying "no more chances, from now on" - really what we are saying is "as much as I knew to do, I did - now God, take your chances!". It is a fundamental fact that no believer can escape, we still need to take our chances.

This not taking chances thing, is serious and it is something that Evolution prides itself on - too much I would say, but then I know God doesn't create monkeys for the purpose of later creating humans. Nevermind that Evolution prides itself on something, the point is that it expressly appeals to chances of all kinds, in order to make its point, that eventually a chance given strength creeps in. Is it God that allows that strength to creep in? I would say "yes, but with the caveat, that He does not (never does) it randomly" Why? Because God does not want to let go of the hope, that one day we will see eye to eye with Him and communicate with Him, as such.

What can be married between Creation and Evolution, then, is that micro-Evolution is able to take greater chances, especially when taken together with the strength of Creation science, that having been created with this foundation and what is like it, nothing need change. There really is a way to accept that you will have to take chances with your Creation, and then when you do, Evolution is the most accurate way to model the interactions between you and the rest of your species from then on. This way, we keep the window open, to the breeze outside at the beginning of time!

There will be objections, like "I don't want to think about God", "Evolution and chances is all I want to take", "if God created Evolution, why didn't He create Himself?" and so on and so forth. But the fundamental point, is that we will no longer be arguing everything: the Creationists will have his ambiguous beginning (if you don't call "let there be light" ambiguous, we may not be on the same page regarding some aspects of our faith!) and the Evolutionists, will be able to throw themselves, holus bolus, at changing every last thing that feeds on the desire to be different and still accepted by those that were comfortable with whom they were - even if Evolution and Creation both flew to the wind.

There are things that will have to go: "monkeys don't start to learn English, before they become human" we literally have no link between a monkeys heart and a human's mind, "mutations are a good thing", they aren't to something that's working (and can substitute it!), "if you wait long enough, the difference between Creation and Evolution is moot" actually what Creation offers is distinction beyond this life into the next, you can't have more difference than that! Likewise "God said" is not "God expects"; "the word was God" still had to be written down; "behold your king" is something that takes a long, long, long time to understand. These are not permanent obstacles, but they can make someone who isn't prepared to make any compromizes (for good or bad, in principle) a lot more religious, than perhaps with hindsight, they would say themselves they "didn't need to be".

So that is it, I think the marriage can go from there, the weaker theory first Evolution, can start with chances for a given species and the stronger foundation can embrace both the findings there and the findings in the Spirit - just in time to make an appearance at an ethics committee! There is more to be discovered, but what we should be learning here, is that no discovery is made, by leaving more and more to aggression and consumant confusion. If we can beat this, we have a real chance at an open culture that welcomes piety in all its forms, with the one exception that if the Devil wants to make an argument = he can do it, with the pen!

Not to know the difference, is not not to speak up for it, if in time the difference was as we knew.

Nothing anywhere happens by chance or is random.
This solves the conflict.

"Random" just means we don't have the knowledge needed to predict outcomes.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi there,

Science and people of faith agree whatever happened .... happened in the cosmos. The discussion of "this turned into that" evolution on earth is futile and a moot point.

People of faith who try and "meld" evolution and creation (beginning of life) are compromising their faith.

Evolution ... creation are mutually exclusive.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
The discussion of "this turned into that" evolution on earth is futile and a moot point.

Evolution has real-world application. It's quite relevant in modern biology.

People of faith who try and "meld" evolution and creation (beginning of life) are compromising their faith.

This seems like a recipe for a fragile belief system.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Evolution has real-world application. It's quite relevant in modern biology.

Could you expand on this? How is evolution applicable to our real world situation?

• Agree
Reactions: eleos1954
Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Could you expand on this? How is evolution applicable to our real world situation?

Sure. In the context of what eleos1954 wrote about "this turned into that evolution", the study of such evolutionary relationships is called phylogenetics. And phylogenetics itself has a variety of applications especially with its intersection in the modern field of genomics.

A number of examples are highlighted in the following article: Phylogenetics: Applications, Software and Challenges

The inference of phylogenies with computational methods has many important applications in medical and biological research, such as drug discovery and conservation biology. A result published by Korber et al. (19), that times the evolution of the HIV-1 virus, demonstrates that ML techniques can be effective in solving biological problems. Phylogenetic trees have already witnessed applications in numerous practical domains, such as in conservation biology (3) (illegal whale hunting), epidemiology (5) (predictive evolution), forensics (27) (dental practice HIV transmission), gene function prediction (7) and drug development (14). Other applications of phylogenies include multiple sequence alignment (11, 25), protein structure prediction (31), gene and protein function prediction (12, 22) and drug design (30). A paper by Bader et al. (2) addresses important industrial applications of phylogenetic trees, e.g. in the area of commercial drug discovery.

There's also an article published by the National Centre for Science Education on the importance of evolution to modern biology-related industries: Evolution is a Winner -- for Breakthroughs and Prizes | National Center for Science Education

It's written by James McCarter who was the founder and CEO of Divergence Inc. (a biotech firm later acquired by Monsanto).

He states this:

Evolution, in addition to being solid science, provides us with a practical and powerful tool-kit. Applied techniques based on evolution play central roles in the biotechnology industry, and in recent advances in genomics and drug discovery. Bioinformatics, the application of computers to biology and one of the hottest career opportunities in science, is full of evolution-based computer code. Tens of thousands of researchers in the multibillion-dollar field of biomedical research and development use evolution-based discoveries and concepts as a routine part of their important work.
Finally, here's an example of a real-world biotech firm that literally named itself after evolution: Evolutionary Genomics

The basis for their technology and identification of genes is based directly on the theory of evolution using measurements of synonymous and non-synonymous substitution ratios in genes (Ka/Ks ratio - Wikipedia):

Evolutionary Genomics uses the Adapted Traits Platform to perform high throughput molecular evolution analysis to identify positively selected genes based on Ka/Ks analysis (as defined below). Ka/Ks analysis was developed to document the role of positive selection on known protein coding genes. Molecular-level adaptive evolution is indicated when comparisons of homologous protein coding sequences from closely related species show that the number of amino acid differences fixed due to selection exceeds what can be expected by neutral evolution. Molecular-level positive selection can be detected in protein-coding genes by pairwise comparisons of the ratios of non-synonymous nucleotide substitutions per non-synonymous site (Ka) to synonymous substitutions per synonymous site (Ks). The algorithm, by comparing substitutions per site, takes into account, in rigorous fashion, the effect of bias and degeneracy in the genetic code, and also compensates for the effects of multiple hits at the same site. Ka/Ks ratios significantly greater than unity strongly suggest that positive selection has fixed greater numbers of amino acid replacements than can be expected as a result of chance alone.
They primarily do work in agricultural genomics these days, although they had also previously performed medical research related to HIV and primate genomics (e.g. comparing primate genomes using their evolutionary methods to identify genes relevant to HIV research).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Science and people of faith agree whatever happened .... happened in the cosmos. The discussion of "this turned into that" evolution on earth is futile and a moot point.

why?

evolution is just development and change

human society and culture have evolved since biblical times, does that deny God's intervention and sovereignty?

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is not the case that God rules out chance, in order to design His Creation.
Pl;ease can you point to passages in the creation account that say that God uses chance as part of creation.
The repeated refraine 'God saw that it was good' tells us that his act of creation was perfect, not a result of random events.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
why?

evolution is just development and change

human society and culture have evolved since biblical times, does that deny God's intervention and sovereignty?

The bible teaches God created all life ... fully formed. He created and breathed life into them (ie mankind & animals). He created man in His image. He created them male and female after their kind.

Genesis 1:27
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

society and culture "evolving" ... is way different than creation of actual life. Besides that .... has mankind really changed much since biblical times (socially)? No ... still doing the same things ... the "nature" of man has not changed.

Ecclesiastes 1:9
Berean Study Bible
What has been will be again, and what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.

There are multiple passages in the New Testament where Jesus quotes from the early chapters of Genesis in a straightforward, historical manner. Matthew 19:4–6 is especially significant as Jesus quotes from both Genesis 1:27 and Genesis 2:24. Jesus’ use of Scripture here is authoritative in settling a dispute over the question of divorce, as it is grounded in the creation of the first marriage and the purpose thereof (Malachi 2:14–15). The passage is also striking in understanding Jesus’ use of Scripture as He attributes the words spoken as coming from the Creator (Matthew 19:4). More importantly, there is no indication in the passage that He understood it figuratively or as an allegory. If Christ were mistaken about the account of creation and its importance to marriage, then why should He be trusted when it comes to other aspects of His teaching? Furthermore, in a parallel passage in Mark 10:6 Jesus said, “But from the beginning of creation, God ‘made them male and female.’” In the statement “from the beginning of creation”3 Jesus was saying that Adam and Eve were there at the beginning of creation, on Day Six, not evolving billions of years after the beginning.

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The bible teaches God created all life ... fully formed. He created and breathed life into them (ie mankind & animals). He created man in His image. He created them male and female after their kind.

Genesis 1:27
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

society and culture "evolving" ... is way different than creation of actual life. Besides that .... has mankind really changed much since biblical times (socially)? No ... still doing the same things ... the "nature" of man has not changed.

Ecclesiastes 1:9
Berean Study Bible
What has been will be again, and what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.

There are multiple passages in the New Testament where Jesus quotes from the early chapters of Genesis in a straightforward, historical manner. Matthew 19:4–6 is especially significant as Jesus quotes from both Genesis 1:27 and Genesis 2:24. Jesus’ use of Scripture here is authoritative in settling a dispute over the question of divorce, as it is grounded in the creation of the first marriage and the purpose thereof (Malachi 2:14–15). The passage is also striking in understanding Jesus’ use of Scripture as He attributes the words spoken as coming from the Creator (Matthew 19:4). More importantly, there is no indication in the passage that He understood it figuratively or as an allegory. If Christ were mistaken about the account of creation and its importance to marriage, then why should He be trusted when it comes to other aspects of His teaching? Furthermore, in a parallel passage in Mark 10:6 Jesus said, “But from the beginning of creation, God ‘made them male and female.’” In the statement “from the beginning of creation”3 Jesus was saying that Adam and Eve were there at the beginning of creation, on Day Six, not evolving billions of years after the beginning.
Exactly how long did it take God to start with "dust" and wind up with the finished product?

1.23456789 seconds ?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Pl;ease can you point to passages in the creation account that say that God uses chance as part of creation.
The repeated refraine 'God saw that it was good' tells us that his act of creation was perfect, not a result of random events.
That begins to sound like the shopworn creationist argument that a stochastic process cannot be the vehicle of divine providence. Christian theologians have known better for centuries.

• Agree
Reactions: pitabread
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Exactly how long did it take God to start with "dust" and wind up with the finished product?

1.23456789 seconds ?

My friend this (as you know) is not a new "argument" ... if you (and others) choose to believe that Almighty God is a "evolutionist" of some sort ... and not the creator as in Genesis (6 days) then rested on the 7th .... fine .... I do not ... He spoke things into existence.

Hebrews 11:3

NET Bible
By faith we understand that the worlds were set in order at God's command, so that the visible has its origin in the invisible.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
Nothing anywhere happens by chance or is random.
This solves the conflict.

"Random" just means we don't have the knowledge needed to predict outcomes.
So, determinism is where it's at?

I'll go and wake up Laplace's demon...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, determinism is where it's at?

I'll go and wake up Laplace's demon...
Your future is already part of God's memory.
If you think God is not that great, that is your option.
Perhaps you can fool God by changing your mind at the last minute?

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
Your future is already part of God's memory.
If you think God is not that great, that is your option.
Perhaps you can fool God by changing your mind at the last minute?
I don't believe in God. If there's no true randomness, it's all deterministic. It's a binary choice.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How do you figure that?

try playing scabble relying on randomly pulling letters out of the bag to make words. To play the game intelligence has to be used.
Randomness does not make order.

Creation even a fallen creation displays increadible levels of order and complexity.
That only comes from intelligent design by a perfect creator God.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That begins to sound like the shopworn creationist argument that a stochastic process cannot be the vehicle of divine providence. Christian theologians have known better for centuries.

Only shopworn to those who do not and will not accept those arguments.

As fot theologians believingin evolution only those in the last centuary have done that.

Upvote 0