What if someone loses their own life to save another persons life?

May 4, 2017
Texas
✟8,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If a man saves another mans life by losing his own life, where will he go?
Let's call this man "Bob". We'll call the other man Tim.
Let's say Bob has followed Christ and always prays for forgiveness for his sins. He has accepted Christ.

Now let's say a hand grenade is about to explode and kill Tim, but Bob covers it with his own body, saving Tim, but Bob dies.

Where does Bob go? Heaven or Hell?

DeerGlow

User Gifted Supporter Status by Someone Else
Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Let's say Bob has followed Christ and always prays for forgiveness for his sins. He has accepted Christ.

Now let's say a hand grenade is about to explode and kill Tim, but Bob covers it with his own body, saving Tim, but Bob dies.

"There is no greater love than to lay down one's life for one's friends." Can't remember where it's from specifically but it's a selfless act, assuming Bob was truly saved why would this affect his salvation?

Upvote 0

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Who threw the grenade?

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I guess the purists will say he's not guaranteed eternal life with the Lord unless he is saved by surrendering to Jesus Christ as saviour.
My gut feeling is that he would get to Heaven, even if he were a Buddhist. But its early days for me in my Christian walk.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Bob ... has accepted Christ.

Heaven, whether he laid down his life for Tim or not!

Ephesians 2
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;
9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Titus 3
5 He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy....

In Christ,
David
p.s. - He who hears, and believes, HAS eternal life ..:amen:

John 5:24

"He who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I guess the purists will say he's not guaranteed eternal life with the Lord unless he is saved by surrendering to Jesus Christ as saviour.
My gut feeling is that he would get to Heaven, even if he were a Buddhist. But its early days for me in my Christian walk.
Those outside the born again ones we cannot appraise (it is not given to us to know ).
Those outside the born again ones , it is written, YHWH HIMSELF JUDGES. Some are saved, some are not, YHWH JUDGES.

• Informative
Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

Grandpa2390

The Grey
Feb 24, 2017
New Orleans
✟42,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Assuming that he is a true follower of Christ. And he is going to heaven before the grenade... then there is no reason why sacrificing his life would be a sin...

What are you basing this question on? did you read a scripture somewhere that I should be considering?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

-V-

Sep 16, 2016
USA
✟38,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

There's no reason to doubt Bob's salvation given that information. The Bible never says that suicide = automatic damnation. And, as Jesus Himself said, "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." - John 15:13

• Agree
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Grandpa2390

The Grey
Feb 24, 2017
New Orleans
✟42,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
There's no reason to doubt Bob's salvation given that information. The Bible never says that suicide = automatic damnation. And, as Jesus Himself said, "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." - John 15:13

Well it certainly teaches it by principle.

The real point is that sacrificing your life for another person, isn't suicide. That would be like saying Jesus committed suicide...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
No believer in Scripture, or in Foxes Book of Martyrs,
ever committed suicide,
but many did lay down their life, (WHILE LIVING FIRST!) , for others,
and died for their testimony and their faith in JESUS, with NO REGRETS.

Upvote 0